Life Time Fitness

Life Time Fitness Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Life Time Fitness Chairman, President, and CEO Bahram Akradi

Bahram Akradi

Pros:
  • "I loved having a free gym membership for myself and a deep discount for my spouse"
    in 30 reviews
  • "Free gym membership and employee discount to everything offered therein"
    in 27 reviews
Cons:
  • "In sales long hours and 100% commission can lead to poor sales tactics at times"
    in 18 reviews
  • "This is one of those places that educates employees to fear upper management"
    in 18 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Premiere fitness facility

I have been working at Life Time Fitness part-time

ProsLife Time Fitness is a premiere fitness facility. After attending other gyms it is obvious that Life Time goes above and beyond to satisfy the member. As a team member, you get all the benefits of a membership, member advantage partnerships with external companies, plus additional in-house discounts.

ConsAfter being with the company for over a year I have not received a raise. I was supposed to have a yearly review, but it never happened. Life Time needs to pay their team members more. Yes, we get a free membership but I don't think that is a big enough compensation. Additionally, I was shocked to hear that my manager only makes a dollar more per hour than I do.

"Healthy way of life" not "healthy wage of pay"

Life SPA Coordinator (Current Employee)
Sandy Springs, Fulton, GA

I have been working at Life Time Fitness full-time for more than a year

Prosemployees, members were great. Love the cafe and the whole environment

Conspay is way to low,
we needed a manager in the spa
i put in for it but didn't even get an interview and other coworkers were pushing for me

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to your staff and other employees when they tell you what they need
dont forget about the spa

Great Experience but Very Political

Aquatics Supervisor (Former Employee)
Denver, CO

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time for more than a year

ProsLifetime Fitness was great. As long as you did you job nothing bad would happen to you and no one would ask any questions.

ConsIf you did however want to move up in positions it mattered less about how long you had been there or how well you did at your job, it mattered how much the departments heads liked you. This was true in multiple departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider paying the lifeguards more for their work. Even though most are high school kids the level of certifications is too high to get paid $8 an hour.

Disappointed with lack of ethics

Manager, Group Fitness Instructor (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time for more than 5 years

ProsProfessional growth and training

ConsLeadership unethical practices, no concern for doing the right thing. Numbers and money matter above ethics.

Decent pay possibility with no encouragement towards an outside life.

Personal Trainer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Life Time Fitness full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMembers with many needs and great facilities to help them. 24 hour access.

ConsLong hours and full 7 days expected end of month. Upper management pushes sales and revenue over the accomplishments of the members or the happiness, freedom, and health of it's employees. The owner lost his vision and replaced it with the desire to move the stock one penny.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like your members and you'll find out which employees are worth it.

From Heaven too Hell; It's a wolf disguised as a sheep from executives to team members

I have been working at Life Time Fitness

ProsInitial days of employment you get the wow affect

ConsNothing about this company spells employee satisfaction. From day one you are threatened with "write-ups". It is a epitome of "what have you done for me lately". Why are so many high level people leaving; they see that retirement is not an option unless you are "in". Why are so many managers leaving; they get burned-out due to zero work life balance. Why are so many team members leaving; they are treated like numbers and "no worries just hire another".

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up and realize that people run companies. Put them first and your financials will come. Make the next day as good as the initial day.

Healthy Way of Life, Unhealthy lifestyle because of low pay!

Life SPA Stylist (Former Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time for more than a year

ProsUsing the facility. The Cafe

ConsKenny the GM hides behind his computer all day, pretending to be busy, he is so not a people person but seems to think otherwise, the company overall has a bad system of pay and they actually make money from their employees with all the fees they charge the spa and training staff, it is so not worth it to work here, if you think you want to work in the spa don't bother, not so busy in there from lack of marketing on the company's fault.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to market the different departments outside of the gym better, especially the spa, gym members don't even know its there! Get a new GM, one that's more involved with his team! You can afford to pay your staff a bit better too

Love the people, place, and environment. However, very underpaying.

Dallas, TX

ProsFree membership, nice coworkers/managers, great hours 24/7

ConsUnderpaid for the amount of work. Ridiculously high expectations. Long hours. Many departments think they're better than others.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward and recognize hard-working employees with salary raises, not just a pat on the back.

Inconsistency is Key here

Personal Trainer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Life Time Fitness full-time

Pros-Freedom to build your own programs
-Easy to move up levels if you have a work ethic so that you receive higher commission wages.
-Fun/Family-Like Staff environment

Cons-Misguided pay expectations upon hire.
-More about sales than about actually helping people- even though the first thing they tell you in new hire is "This is not a sales job"
-Inconsistent pay checks due to being 100% commission pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for ways to decrease your turnover rate. Be honest with your employees, not salesman with your employees.

Hectic but good people

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Life Time Fitness full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of opportunity to create positive change. Good people who want to do good things.

ConsAtmosphere can seem frantic at times. Decisions are made too quickly sometimes without proper thought, sometimes sacrificing ability to satisfy long term needs.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Life Time Fitness? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Life Time Fitness reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Life Time Fitness CEO Bahram Akradi. All 390 reviews posted anonymously by Life Time Fitness employees.