Life Time Fitness

Life Time Fitness Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Life Time Fitness Chairman, President, and CEO Bahram Akradi

Bahram Akradi

Pros
  • Gym membership, good for resume as a top health company, good colleagues(in 38 reviews)

• I loved having a free gym membership for myself and a deep discount for my spouse(in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • You will work long hours especially if you are a Personal Trainer(in 27 reviews)

• Upper management flirts with teenage male staff, rather than managing(in 26 reviews)

Company cares a lot about their members and not enough about their employees. Give employees a free membership.

Life Cafe Supervisor (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsFree membership.
    Discount on Life Time brand products.
    Networking possibilities with members and management.

ConsLow starting pay.
    Members can be very rude.
    High employee turnover.
    Long shifts.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest time and resources into your employees. Your facility does not create the member experience, your employees and their interaction with the members make the experience.

Great Atmosphere

ProsI work as a Hair Stylist in the Life Spa I love the atmosphere, I am surrounded by positive people and my co workers are always willing to help out and share tips. In the previous Salons I have been at, that was not always the case. I appreciate the fact the company offers free training on color , straightening treatments easi hair extensions and anything else they feel will keep us ahead of the curve. I have been licensed going on almost 2 years and it can be challenging building clientele but the foot traffic in the gym is a great place to start. It also helps that non members can come to the Spa to receive services and while they are there they have access to the childcare center and gym, where else can you get that type of deal? Last but not least I appreciate the fact you get paid hourly until you are consistent enough to go on commission (Nothing worse than having a slow day and not making a dime).

ConsAt the moment I cannot think of any

Lots of cool people to interact with

Life Cafe Team Member (Former Employee)

ProsFree/discounted services: Free membership, discounted spa rates (very good as I remember), free childcare if you work in that department

ConsCompany puts alot of pressure on management to perform which has a trickle down affect through out the club.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess focus on the numbers and just enjoy the idea of the organization

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company for career growth if you are willing to work hard

ProsCompany mission, free membership, positive environment, fun people to work with, helping people live healthier lives, opportunity for career growth

ConsCompensation could be higher, company always demands more/better performance from employees, work/life balance can be hard to manage at times

Advice to Senior ManagementTake good care of your team members - they are your most valuable asset

Child care

Child Center Team Member (Former Employee) Romeoville, IL

ProsThe free membership when I worked there was probably the best part of working there.

ConsWhile I fully understand making customers happy there were times that members were way beyond rude to staff. Management usually never stuck up for staff who were wrongly treated.

Advice to Senior ManagementStand behind staff more.

Decent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree gym membership, discount on products, fun people

ConsRude customers, management would take their side even though they're the ones who set the rules.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more lifeguards

Current employee of 3 yrs, preparing to resign.

Facility Operations (Current Employee) Syosset, NY

Pros- Free Membership
    - Nice clubs from the outside
    - You have a job
    - If you're lucky and drink enough of the company "Kool-Aid" you may move up.
    - You have a job

ConsIn my opinion, working for Bahram Akradi and watching him lead LTF has made me realize that
    the success of Lifetime fitness is based on two factors:

- Exploitation of cheap labor

- Sales pressure tactics conducted on consumers to purchase overpriced goods and services they simply do not need, or can purchase somewhere else at a much less expensive price.

(This is confirmed repetitively, by other previous Glassdoor reviews by LT employees)

Advice to Senior ManagementAs the US economy continues to suffer, so will Life Time Fitness.

I talk to members all day, families and professionals from all walk of life. There voices indicate the real underlying problem.

They are not renewing their memberships for a verity of reasons.

The most common is poor customer service, dirty facilities, internal theft and mostly due to "the high member dues not being worth what the member actually utilizes".

They are all leaving to join less expensive clubs.

I've heard the members label Life Time Fitness as just a "Glorified LA Fitness", at quadruple the price

As inflation continues to rise, and salaries continue to stagnate, Life Time will become an unnecessary luxury and current expansion will not prevent this.

Good concept, bad company

Assistant Department Head (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGym membership, good for resume as a top health company, good colleagues.

ConsVery corporate. How? Fail a yearly test and you are terminated. Can not recite the mission word for word? You will not be hired. Everyone in management is expected to work 6 days a week. Micro-managed on every level. 2 to 5 meetings a day is the norm required by the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit promoting inexperience persons to management. Hire experienced leaders with a backbone. Eliminate the managing out of fear.

Great Place to work

ProsGreat Place to work if you understand your position and are willing to learn your position.

ConsIf you have a family or are in school the job becomes difficult.Lots of hours

Advice to Senior ManagementDont promote solely on numbers. Leaders are born fro leading the way through teamwork just as much as nubers.

Beautiful Place to Work but if only they paid for your hours worked....

Personal Trainer (Former Employee) Algonquin, IL

ProsExcellent training, great building, nice members, super high turnover

ConsCommission based work, they will work you seven days a week full time if you allow them to

Advice to Senior ManagementStart paying employees a base pay along with commission and you will stop having dozens of employees walk off the job every month.

Worked for Life Time Fitness? Contribute to the Community!