Life Time Fitness

Life Time Fitness Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Life Time Fitness Chairman, President, and CEO Bahram Akradi

Bahram Akradi

Pros
  • Gym membership, good for resume as a top health company, good colleagues(in 38 reviews)

• I loved having a free gym membership for myself and a deep discount for my spouse(in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • You will work long hours especially if you are a Personal Trainer(in 27 reviews)

• Upper management flirts with teenage male staff, rather than managing(in 26 reviews)

Stylist

Hair Stylist (Former Employee) Rochester Hills, MI

ProsWorking with great clientèle and staff.

ConsStart you off on hourly

Great place to work

Cons1. Average pay
    2. Big corporation, so trying to implement changes is difficult
    3. Have to wear uniforms
    4. Very, very busy

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it easier for employees to implement changes in their particular club

Swim Instructor

Swim Instructor (Former Employee) Alpharetta, GA

ProsSo much fun to work with kids and adults. It feels so good to train week after week and see a child or adult go from being scared to loving the water. Lifetime gives you excellent training, including how to teach different types of learning styles (visual, auditory, etc.). You are pretty much your own boss and can teach the class in the style YOU would like to teach them.

ConsSpend a couple hours at a time in chlorine killed me hair/skin. Also not a lot of hours, I worked at most 15 to 20 (this could be either a pro or a con depending on what you are looking for.) Pay is decent, about $12/hr. Again, this could be a pro if you are new to teaching and a con if you are highly seasoned and are expecting more pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat! Maybe consider giving raises for people with more experience or people who bring in clients.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Asst. Department Head

Assistant Department Head (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsAs a first-line supervisor at Lifetime fitness of housekeeping and janitorial workers, I planned out schedules for employees and assign duties to ensure that cleaning services are provided in a timely and efficient way. Maintained an inventory control and secure building facilities, lock and unlock assigned buildings.

ConsThere is difficulty in custodian employees failing to show up for work when scheduled. Due to this lack of employees to perform the work morale was low and they felt overwhelmed. Often times equipment was left at other sites limiting duties to cleaning the building.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeded more people to do the job .Needed equipment to be able to complete job that were not getting done. Schedule job that needs to be done weekly. Rotate employees so every employee will know all parts of building.

Good environment.

Personal Trainer (Current Employee)

ProsNo cap on your salary. Always get to make more

ConsMicro managing, always telling you to go find new business, very controlling and if you dont suck up they dont like you. Also, they make you stay for long hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your employees better

Great Company, work in progres

Sales (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

Prosmeeting new people and benefits from medical to free membership. Overall wrorking there was a positive experience

ConsWork way too many hours and there are quite a few things beyond selling a membership that are required of you whuich take away from your opportunity to do what you were hired for

Advice to Senior Managementnon

Awesome facilities, horrible company to work for

Life Cafe Supervisor (Former Employee) Westminster, CO

ProsThe free gym membership is a huge plus! facilities are very clean and they have a lot to offer a member at a price that isn't too bad.

ConsWow where to start. They have no employee recognition whatsoever. Employees are looked at as bodies as opposed to people. Theres no consideration for employees who have put time and dedication into working here and are hungry to excel and move up within the company, all of that is disregarded. Department heads pay is sketchy and not consistent for the work that they do. Again no employee recognition or incentives not even ever a "hey good job on that, i appreciate you". A big resentment between departments no team work as a company at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in a better HR staff... one that you can actually get a hold of. I worked here for almost 5 years and busted my butt trying to get in contact with HR.... I almost have to wonder if there is a such thing here.

Personal Trainer

ProsGreat People To Work With

ConsBad hours, low pay, high turnover

The work was hard and deserved better benefits I was getting payed around $9- $10 an hour.

Operations Team Member (Former Employee) Florham Park, NJ

ProsFree gym membership and access to pools, food, sauna, locker rooms, jacuzzi gym equipment, classes, etc

ConsMicromanagement, a lot of physical work, gym members were very unhygienic in all areas of the gym i.e. pool showers etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employee! There was a personal incident of physical invasion of privacy and when I told the manager he did mentioned he was going to file a report and contact me, yet nothing was ever done on his behalf about the situation.

This company expects 5 star service from employees they pay 1 star rates.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe clubs are usually packed with clients, and most of the employees are enthusiastic, that is until they have had the life sucked out of them. The business motto and ideals are both fantastic in theory. The services they offer to members are definitely worth 5 stars, but this is a review on employment, not membership.

ConsThey expect you to work for free. Any department that has to do a thorough cleaning in order to prepare for review, employees are expected to work over night without pay. In the salon, if there were no clients we were actually forced to make ourselves look busy by cleaning and doing inventory (which is actually prohibited to anyone other than department head), and I was occasionally asked to assist in childcare without pay. So unless the salon was busy, we were forced to stay there our full 8 hour shifts and make no money.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more than minimum wage to your employees and stop asking sales team members to work 90 hr weeks as a minimum. You'd have happier employees and better business.

Worked for Life Time Fitness? Contribute to the Community!