Life Time Fitness

Life Time Fitness Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Life Time Fitness Chairman, President, and CEO Bahram Akradi

Bahram Akradi

Pros
  • You get a free gym membership to a great facility and good benefits(in 39 reviews)

• I loved having a free gym membership for myself and a deep discount for my spouse(in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • You will work long hours especially if you are a Personal Trainer(in 27 reviews)

• Upper management flirts with teenage male staff, rather than managing(in 26 reviews)

The free membership makes up for the rest

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros-The free membership is nice
    -Co-workers are really fun, and nice to hang-out with
    -Nice getting to know members
    -Lots of departments, so it can offer variety

Cons-Terrible pay
    -Favoritism ran rapid through this company
    -No room for promotion if you deserved it
    -If you aren't close with your manager (even though all manager of the departments) good luck

Advice to Senior ManagementFor a company that prides itself on creating a healthy way of life, the treatment of your employees is terrible. Get to know your employees and how they feel.

High Pressure Sales

Member Engagement Advisor (Former Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsGreat work environment, nice offices, great all inclusive facilities, private office, almost like running your own business, great opportunity to build good relationships with members and change peoples lives, I liked that we had weekly meetings, training and help when we needed it. They really invest in training you properly. They ask for input when making the bi-weekly work schedules. Sales contests and theme days are fun help with morale.

Consmanagers tend to micromanage, very long hours, shifts are 10-12 hours/day, 5-7 days a week. Pay isn't great for all the work put in. Making calls, mostly cold calls is never fun and there is a minimum of 150 calls a day. I had issues with taking time off for military duty. It is a male dominated job so you have to be a strong, independent, street smart woman...this is not necessarily a con, as it wasn't for me, however some women wouldn't cut it. You have to workout before or after shifts, when I started I was told I could workout during my shift if it was slow...this was never the case, as you would have to be WAY above goal to be allowed to do so and even then you are supposed to help the team reach goal, so there really is no extra time in a shift.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more military friendly, accepting, understanding and supportive. Do not micromanage and add more pay to membership advisors pay rates. Give better employee discounts or at least let us try things for free so we can gain the experience to tell (sell) to our members.

Good company, but too many problems

Assistant Department Head (Current Employee)

ProsThe Life Time that I work at itself is phenomenal. A huge perk of working there is the free all access platinum membership you get as an employee. A majority of the time the members are kind and understanding and the team members all share one common goal. You do find that many of each clubs employees are about changing lives positively, not making all the money.

ConsCorporate is a problem. I can understand that we're a business and about making money, but it seems like it's all about pushing our products and not about actually helping the members in their pursuit of healthier lives. There is a terrible turnover ratio, in the three years that I have been at this location I have had four different 'department heads'. As a mid-level employee at Life Time, the pay is terrible. Even in a management position you do not make very much (i.e. Swim Supervisor makes $8.50, and Assistant Department Head makes $10.50-$11). I can not be guaranteed 40 hours every week, so I am unable to declare full time status.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromotions should include more than a 50 cent raise. There should be a starting salary/ hourly wage for each position, especially going from low level to high level management within a department. It is not possible to live off of $10 an hour while not being guaranteed 40+ hours a week.
    On the topic of pay rates, pay the employees more. Especially supervisors, ADH's and DH's. Consider pulling the ADH's wages from the DH pool, or putting the ADH on salary, just not as much as the DH.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Love it

Assistant Department Head (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsLeadership; culture; independence; empowerment; fun

ConsLow advancement opportunities; salesmen think they're better than everyone

Advice to Senior ManagementStop changing everything!

Member Services Associate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree Membership
    Amazing Facilities
    Company Culture is progressive

ConsLittle to no upward mobility
    High turnover of high school employees
    GM tends to be lazy

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees adequately for how much you cost to members and you'll find better work ethic in them

Life Time is your Life. Literally.

Assistant Member Engagement Manager (Current Employee)

ProsCompensation (if you are successful)
    Upward Movement (if you are successful)

ConsCompensation (if you are not successful at selling)
    Upward Movement (if you are not successful at selling)
    Hours - they say 5 days a week / 10 hour days in the interviews, but you are expected to be there until the job is done, no excuses. This typically went along the tone of 6 days a week / 10-12 hour days.
    Work Life Balance - see above (hours).

Advice to Senior ManagementToo much expected from sales team, not enough support from superiors. CEO has great ideas, and realistic goals... but is not in the field so does not fully grasp what is going on in the sales division.

I was very successful at Life Time, and made great money, but the work life balance was too much.

Opportunities if you're ready to work hard and meet monthly revenue goals

Certified Personal Trainer (Current Employee) Schaumburg, IL

ProsOpportunities to make a high income as a personal trainer

Ability to help people achieve their fitness goals.

For those who are dedicated, there are opportunities for advancement

Ability to set your own schedule once you establish yourself as consistently able to bring in 10k revenue (again this takes time and dedication but it is certainly attainable)

They don't hire anybody off the street to train. They require some form of certification, plus the attainment of NASM CPT within the first 6 months of employment

ConsTakes time and dedication to get your personal business up and running
    Some clubs perform better than others. Know that the club you work at can effect your earning potential
    Until you are consistently hitting the 10K monthly revenue mark, you are cemented into a 6am-3pm or a 1pm-9pm schedule, and one of your assigned workdays is on the weekend

Advice to Senior ManagementMore than just putting top earners in ADH and DH positions, do your homework and make sure they are qualified to lead and motivate their team to success. This has been hit and miss in my experience.

Great place to instruct. Awesome members

Group Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) Oak Grove, MO

ProsGreat Flexibility and workplace environment

ConsNo deal breakers. Is a small gym but very well-kept

Personal Trainer

Personal Trainer (Former Employee) Florham Park, NJ

ProsGood pay (if you work hard), great facility

Conslack of additional education, can't control hours, customer service is so-so

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining training training of current personal trainers to help continue their educational growth

Registered Dietitian

ProsYoung Environment, Fun and Laid Back

ConsDifficult to ways to optimize pay out. Have been struggling for almost a year to find work-life balance and pay my bills while working 50+ hours/week

Advice to Senior ManagementBaseline salary so trainers/RDs/ etc. can get by and stick around

Worked for Life Time Fitness? Contribute to the Community!