Life Time Fitness Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Life Time Fitness Chairman, President, and CEO Bahram Akradi
Bahram Akradi

Pros
  • Free Gym Membership nothing else (in 54 reviews)

• I can honestly say the free gym member ship is the only pro (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours doing repetitive tasks (in 38 reviews)

• Lack of communication with upper management (in 29 reviews)

1. Expect to work long & hard

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florham Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florham Park, NJ

I have been working at Life Time Fitness full-time

Pros

Membership to Fitness Club, ownership of department, trust from management

Cons

lots of hours to get everything completed, be ready to sacrifice your personal life

2. Assistant Sales Manager

I have been working at Life Time Fitness full-time

Pros

You learn a lot on how to live a healthy life style and you really do make an impact peoples lives

Cons

Can't do much traveling or take much PTO

Advice to Management

Care about the employees work and life balance. Make sure no one works more than 40 hours a week so they can do the best at treating members and be productive while they are at work.

3. nail technician

I worked at Life Time Fitness part-time

Pros

You get to meet great people. if your good at what you do your clients will tip you well. love the employees and amber was a great manager.

Cons

You only get paid commission at 50% of your services. On the plus side you don't have to buy product, though that to me is a con because they buy cheaper product than u would like to use on my clients.

Advice to Management

pay more

5. Spa Manager

Current Employee - SPA Manager in Chanhassen, MN
    Current Employee - SPA Manager in Chanhassen, MN

I have been working at Life Time Fitness full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing potential for a full fledged career.

Cons

Alignment is the focus. Management requires all boxes get checked with zero follow through or explanation.

Advice to Management

Ridiculous trackers and ever changing "pivots" seem pointless and are difficult to communicate to a team of professionals.

6. Member Engagement Advisor

Former Employee - Member Engagement Advisor in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Member Engagement Advisor in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great opportunity to expand health and fitness knowledge in a corporate setting and oustanding reference

Cons

hours can be demanding and quotas stressful

Advice to Management

Care more about the client than the money

7. Great facility at Florham park

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Florham Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Florham Park, NJ

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great facility to train clients and also to stay in shape.
    -Discounts on Nutritional supplements and free gym membership.
    -Good pay for Personal trainers.
    -Lots of traffic at the gym which is good for Personal trainers.

Cons

-Personal training management plays favorites and are shady.
    -Personal trainers are two faced and will steal your clients without any hesitation.
    -Same BS with every gym, unrealistic quotas so corporate can get fat and rich.
    -Management always bothering you about talking to members on the floor.
    -If they favor you as a trainer they will give you new clients like candy. But if you are not favored they will let you fend for yourself then fire you for not hitting quota with no help at all.

Advice to Management

Treat every trainer the same, don't play favorites and leave other trainers to fend for themselves. You fools had the nerves to fire me when you didn't provide me with the help i needed as a new trainer, karma will come back on all of you.

8. Average

I worked at Life Time Fitness

Pros

-easy summer job for high school or college students
    -staff was always willing to help teach new employees

Cons

-poor management at times
    -employees did not always take their roles serious

Advice to Management

My advice to management is that in order to expect employees to take their roles seriously, you have to first. My manager was a musician and admitted that his passion was music, not health or fitness... in my interview.

9. Server

I have been working at Life Time Fitness

Pros

-Don't have to declare tips
    -Employee discount at LifeSpa, LifeCafe, LifeShop, Lifetime Academy's certification programs, and discounts with personal trainers and Pilates instructors
    -Free Lifetime membership
    -Can build connections with people from corporate (well at least at the location I work at)
    -Food is delicious and a little pricey which can usually increase the tip percentage
    -You can make decent money when you work for clubroom/diamond room events, because you get an automatic gratuity tip from it.

Cons

-Not a consistent amount of income in tips
    -Don't always have bartender and it sucks if you're a server who doesn't know how to bartend
    -Servers don't get much alcohol training
    -Have to bus the Cafe's dirty tables, on top of your own tables
    -Sometimes you don't get anyone in your section for 2.5 hours

10. Registered Dietitian

Current Employee - Registered Dietitian
    Current Employee - Registered Dietitian

I have been working at Life Time Fitness part-time

Pros

I have over 10 yrs experience as an RD. I took a career break to have kids and thought I'd apply and see how the interview process goes. I ended up getting the job and here I am! So, it's a bit surprising that I have to think for a while to list pros (not a good sign).... big discount on membership for my family (me is free), short commuting time, nice members... Like the resting and active metabolic tests. Great if you love selling / sales!

Cons

I took the job for 'experience' only. I feel like I'm out on my own. Have to read a lot of info off of LT website about their philosophy on nutrition (slightly different than they way I use to educate). I get a base of minimum wage (embarrassing for all the education and past salary I use to take in) + commission. I should have taken more into account about the 'sales' it involves. I am use to working for non-profits! I am not sure about all of the labs they offer either. I wish I had more support from fellow dietitian. The nutrition coaches encourage clean eating and not much motivational interviewing / behavior change counseling. Just testing, supplements and retesting. Don't think I will be there long. It's not me. Also, emails circulate weekly from managers highlighting who is 'leading the pack' in sales of services & supplements. I don't need that.

Advice to Management

Give dietitians a proper salary. You will attract more for the job and have more of an impact! Also, make sure certification information is correct. I got a lot of wrong prices for services and was pressured to memorize them only to find out that the prices were incorrect for our club. It would be great to have dietitians during cert taken aside from the personal trainers for more nutrition information and support applicable for our role. Especially if some RD's are not trainers! Some information does not apply to RD's during cert.

11. Corporate Washout

Former Employee - Lifecafe Supervisor
    Former Employee - Lifecafe Supervisor

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I helped open 2 of the clubs in Georgia. Corporate comes down and helps organize and prepare you for opening, they have great insight and are very helpful. They guide without micro-managing and they are there for support, even if it's to tell you to take a break and eat. The pump up "All-Club" meetings are great too, it creates a unique culture and are cherished memories.

A month after the club opens this stops.

Cons

A month after the club opens all of this support stops.

Instead you are handed a strict budget that is difficult to hire enough staff. You can't expect to higher Chick-Fil-A quality with less than McDonald's compensation. Never mind those who work outside at the Poolside Bistro and juggle quick-service, lifeguard breaks and the GA heat.

From my experience, there is not enough storage to handle the inventory needed. Especially in the Bistro! This turns into employees having to go all the way inside to get more inventory.

This all goes back to the staffing shortage, if they cant entice enough people to come work, than you are stuck way overworking staff and working at the bare minimum.

There is a new menu roll-out each year for the cafe and bistro. This menu roll-out includes a price hike and many staple/popular menu items taken off and replaced with new ones. This is hard to explain to members. A lot of time new menu items require a specific ingredient that is ONLY used for that entree/smoothie. This is extremely difficult to manage, if the menu item takes off the food distributors do not have heads up and do not have enough inventory to send out to the clubs. This also adds to the inventory problem, there is extremely limited space to store dry/cold/frozen food. This could easily be fixed by using ingredients for more than one menu item. It would cut down on inventory, frustration, and shortages.

Advice to Management

I do not have an answer for all of my frustrations. But increasing hiring budgets could help EVERYONE out. You entice high quality workers and you can hire the quantity that you need.

Prior to menu roll-outs, reach out to the clubs and the people that ACTUALLY make the food. Verify that there is enough room on the line to hold the ingredients and prepare the item. If there isn't enough room start providing enough space and budget to extend the sandwich/smoothie lines. Please, please, please use ingredients for more than one menu item , especially in the bistro. Some people actually care about their job and that turns into a staff member sprinting into the cafe to get oranges/strawberries/pickles, I could go on, there is always at least one ingredient EVERY year. Perhaps test your new menu items (in all the clubs) before you roll them out. Do some training and testing like you do for a club opening, gather feedback from the employees. You would be surprised the insight they can give you.

Please cutback on the verity or build more room. This is especially important for the bistro.

Lastly, actually care about your employees, or at least fake it a little better. When I reached my 5 year anniversary, all I received was an email. The email was not even sent to me, it was sent to my boss.

Take some time and invest in your employees and listen to their feedback. It will cut down on your employee turnover, provide you with better quality employees and leave you with great, honest, insight.

The member might always right, but the team member isn't always wrong.

RSS Feed </> Embed