Life Time Fitness

Life Time Fitness Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2014

Life Time Fitness Chairman, President, and CEO Bahram Akradi

Bahram Akradi

Pros:
  • "I loved having a free gym membership for myself and a deep discount for my spouse"
    in 34 reviews
  • "Free gym membership, meaningful relationship w coworkers"
    in 30 reviews
Cons:
  • "You will work long hours especially if you are a Personal Trainer"
    in 25 reviews
  • "This is one of those places that educates employees to fear upper management"
    in 24 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Company to work for

Facility Operations (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsLove the interaction with the gym members. Over time you really get to know the people, who come in. Fast pace environment. You are rarely left without anything to do.

ConsLack of raise or promotion despite delivering excellent service. I completely understand that management is trying to stretch their budgets as far as they can, but keeping their employees happy should be number one. I only worked for one who understood that keep value.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould definitely focus on promotions, because the great talent that is there will leave over time and if you are member focused, those members love seeing those team members that they have gotten to know that drives them coming back to the gym month after month.

Great company that cares about team members AND members!

Group Fitness Instructor (Current Employee)
    Mansfield, TX

ProsHealthy way of life attitude around the entire club.

ConsSometimes very VERY detailed work

terrible management behind a great facility

Life Cafe Team Member (Current Employee)
    Omaha, NE

ProsFree membership to awesome facility
    Great people
    Good experience
    Discounts on food and services

ConsPoor management by non-leaders solely seeking a profit and looking out for the brand's image
    Life Time pushes the boundaries of being a unethical business
    Be prepared to work hard, long hours
    If you don't work at Corporate, expect mediocre pay

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to lookout for your employees. Give them a fair wage and overtime/holiday pay.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great

Aquatics Lifeguard (Former Employee)
    Plymouth, MN

ProsFree membership was a great plus

Conscustomer service was a pain sometimes

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Growing

Front Desk Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

Vacation
    Length to promotions
    Reviews
    personal growth

Company cares a lot about their members and not enough about their employees. Give employees a free membership.

Life Cafe Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsFree membership.
    Discount on Life Time brand products.
    Networking possibilities with members and management.

ConsLow starting pay.
    Members can be very rude.
    High employee turnover.
    Long shifts.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest time and resources into your employees. Your facility does not create the member experience, your employees and their interaction with the members make the experience.

Want to bust your bum and make just over minimum wage?

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsFree gym membership! 20% discount in the salon. Plenty of hours to make a depressing hourly wage.

ConsRidiculously low pay. Promises of raises with no follow through. Promises of promotions with no follow through. You work with infantile teenagers that only wish to discuss how hammered they got the night before. No trust will be put on you - just lots and lots of micromanaging. Step by step job instructions, no matter how well you know your job. Upper management flirts with teenage male staff, rather than managing. Management has no leadership ability and is trying to overcompensate for being a loser in her personal life.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere definitely needs to be more training and accountability on day to day management. Even upper management grabs food with her bare hands and eat while in the kitchen, straight from the bowl.

I would not recommend this company for those passionate about their career

Operations Manager (Current Employee)

ProsAn amazing concept, beautiful facilities and co-workers that can be fun to work with. Corporate employees are very supportive and quick to respond to needs. Awesome group of people at the corporate level.

ConsYou can put everything you have into it and get little back in return. Constantly spinning your wheels and trying to catch your breath. Lack of support at ground level. Little appreciation for hard work. Compensation is ok if you make your bonuses. Meeting expectations for bonus is very difficult. Requirements for the position dont match compensation level

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate Management bring your attitudes down to the facility level. The mission and the vision are valuable but rarely is it seen within the clubs between departments and GM's. LifeTime could be a great and untouchable competitor if they did a better job of practicing what is stated in our mission and vision.

Poorly managed company I've ever worked for

ProsFree membership, lower tier employees have strong bond, Great location. Great discounts and benefits.

ConsManagement plays favorites, care more about bonuses than quality and employee relationship. Management comes up with a new policy every week, which seems kind of suspicious to the operation and moral of the team members. Management is too weak to let go of people who have proven to be a constant issues in the daily operation of the club, too weak to hire new people, gives hours unfairly to management favorites. Constantly forgetting to order supplies, leaving team member unprepared, and when asked for an explanation; simply told to "deal with it".

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your team members, they're people too. Respect your team members, they're people too. Don't hide In your office all the time, then when you're audited and fail, blame everyone but yourself. Don't be afraid to do some work...

Beautiful Place to Work but if only they paid for your hours worked....

Personal Trainer (Former Employee)
    Algonquin, IL

ProsExcellent training, great building, nice members, super high turnover

ConsCommission based work, they will work you seven days a week full time if you allow them to

Advice to Senior ManagementStart paying employees a base pay along with commission and you will stop having dozens of employees walk off the job every month.

Worked for Life Time Fitness? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Life Time Fitness reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Life Time Fitness CEO Bahram Akradi. All 442 reviews posted anonymously by Life Time Fitness employees.