Life Time Fitness

Updated February 25, 2015
2.9

Life Time Fitness Chairman, President, and CEO Bahram Akradi
Bahram Akradi

Pros
  • You get a free gym membership to a great facility and good benefits (in 54 reviews)

• I can honestly say the free gym member ship is the only pro (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • You will work long hours especially if you are a Personal Trainer (in 38 reviews)

• Upper management isn't in touch with the problems within the club (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

Great for people needing to build experience, as long as you don't want to be paid for it.

Former Employee - Stylist in Allen, TX
    Former Employee - Stylist in Allen, TX

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was fortunate to have a great team in my department, other departments supported us as well. Good benefits and paid time off. Full use of the fitness facility was great, my kids loved going to the club. You receive a discount on products in the cafe and training opportunities. Pay is decent, but Department Heads are very under compensated for the time they are asked to put in.

Cons

The company promotes a healthy way of life, but requires insane hours from their employees. They boast room to grow, but when someone shows interest in a higher role from a different department they refuse to promote them. They allow you to use vacation as you accumulate hours, but then wont approve vacation at the end of the year because it comes out of the budget of the club. I have never worked anywhere where so much negative behavior and harassment is tolerated. They will re hire almost anyone, even if you have been let go do to these circumstances. Expect to work holidays, weekends and any event they chose to have. They also expect everyone to honor "discount service" prices, but don't pay the difference of what you are losing in income.

Find better general managers. Just because someone is family or has been working for the club for years doesn't make them untouchable. Everyone needs training and a change of scenery. Update the uniform policy. Take a minute to understand what each club needs from talking to the "low level" employees, rather than relying on the DH and GM.

I have to check a star to place a review, however the company does not deserve a single star. The job is a joke.

Former Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Westminster, CO

I worked at Life Time Fitness part-time (less than a year)

Pros

There are none, good luck.

Cons

$10 per hour. You dont get moved to commission for months. They lie lie lie and con. You have to sell their below average pricy products and sell sessions to get moved to commission. Be aware you are an "employee" however you are charged a service fee for each session to "cover the cost of products used". Last time I checked an "employee" status according to the IRS is one who is provided with supplies. Take a look for yourself employee vs independent contractor status. If a client comes in with a discount card, that % discount comes out of YOUR pay not their net. The company runs these every week so expect to get squeezed out of the pay you were promised from the get go. Also expected the hire on process to take 3 months. In this time 3-4 different managers will instruct you to do it 3-4 different ways all saying the other is wrong. Expect to run around like a chicken with its head cut off, get frustrated and irritated. Expect to have 3-4 managers, expect one to leave in the hiring process, expect the rest to not agree on anything. Expect to be forcibly "volunteered" to work on your day off, if you dont you are not a team player and expect to get fired. Expect to cross out any new year's day plans or new year's eve plans as you manager is going to text you new years eve at 10pm to inform you of your 4 day volunteering begining new years day for their yearly event. Expect to be presured to puchase a $475 dollar training package during hire on, be aware you dont have to. You can if you chooses to when you choose to. You are trained from the moment you meet a client to sell sell sell if you dont you are not performing well. Bottom line, you are trained to see every client as a dollar sign first. As a therapist that should be enough not to mention the rest. Far warning investigate your employer before you settle on unfair unethical practices. There is plenty more but I believe I am sick to my stomach remembering my experience and would like to not.

Maybe learn management skills first.

Decent

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Omaha, NE

I worked at Life Time Fitness part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free Membership
    Discount at Salon and Cafe
    Meet some good people

Cons

Some members are rude and snobby
    Management was awful

Life time Fitness Management

I have been working at Life Time Fitness full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great company with incredible products and services. In my opinion no one in the industry does what Life Time does at a level that it does it. Loves to hire from within. Pay is good for General manager and above. I will always believe in what Life time does.

Cons

Work life balance is not great for General Managers. Tons of expectations and no real recognition. Not to many pats on the back. Not seeing your family a lot is a price you will pay as a General Manager at LTF.

Hard work, slightly disorganize, but fun overall.

Current Employee - Summer Camp Counselor in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Summer Camp Counselor in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Life Time Fitness part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fun activities, Great kids, active job,

Cons

dramatic work environment, disorganized scheduling

Find a better system for employees to get coverage. Texting every single team member is a hassle.

Quite the company..

Current Employee - Rock Wall Attendant
    Current Employee - Rock Wall Attendant

I have been working at Life Time Fitness part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun place to go work.

Cons

Lots of unfair rules and issues with corporate.

Member Services

Former Employee - Member Services Team Member in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Member Services Team Member in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at Life Time Fitness part-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Free Membership
    -Great people to work around
    -Free merch if you can get your hands on it
    -Cafe discount

Cons

Management sucks and all they care about is their tenure. Salesmen fly in an out of their like its a fastfood joint.
    Working front desk sucks, you take all the crap from clients for min. wage while other departments don't do near as much work as us for the same pay. If you are in need of a highschool job, then this could work.

Lighten up, stop being so uptight. All employees see right through you.

Good company to work for with room for advancement.

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Ability to move up in the company if desired

Cons

Draw payment systems for personal trainers

Doing a good job.

I enjoyed working for lifetime fitness, it as a great opportunity to attain insight of the corporate world.

Former Employee - Member Services Team Member in Burr Ridge, IL
    Former Employee - Member Services Team Member in Burr Ridge, IL

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked here because i needed a summer job and they offered many great benefits that brought a lot of insight to my well being as a person

Cons

The company is a corporate worm-hole you have very little room for personal growth, and they brain-wash employees into providing the utmost care for the smallest compensatiton.

Great community, hard workers

I worked at Life Time Fitness

Pros

I really loved working at the Burr Ridge location as a Kids Activities Team Member and Summer Camp Counselor. The club has great amenities and wonderful community. Everyone who works there strives for excellence.

Cons

Sometimes work got a little competitive or intense. Whenever someone from the corporate office would come to evaluate us, we had to be on our A game no matter what.