Life Time Fitness Reviews

1. Registered Dietitian

Current Employee - Registered Dietitian
    Current Employee - Registered Dietitian

I have been working at Life Time Fitness part-time

Pros

I have over 10 yrs experience as an RD. I took a career break to have kids and thought I'd apply and see how the interview process goes. I ended up getting the job and here I am! So, it's a bit surprising that I have to think for a while to list pros (not a good sign).... big discount on membership for my family (me is free), short commuting time, nice members... Like the resting and active metabolic tests. Great if you love selling / sales!

Cons

I took the job for 'experience' only. I feel like I'm out on my own. Have to read a lot of info off of LT website about their philosophy on nutrition (slightly different than they way I use to educate). I get a base of minimum wage (embarrassing for all the education and past salary I use to take in) + commission. I should have taken more into account about the 'sales' it involves. I am use to working for non-profits! I am not sure about all of the labs they offer either. I wish I had more support from fellow dietitian. The nutrition coaches encourage clean eating and not much motivational interviewing / behavior change counseling. Just testing, supplements and retesting. Don't think I will be there long. It's not me. Also, emails circulate weekly from managers highlighting who is 'leading the pack' in sales of services & supplements. I don't need that.

Advice to Management

Give dietitians a proper salary. You will attract more for the job and have more of an impact! Also, make sure certification information is correct. I got a lot of wrong prices for services and was pressured to memorize them only to find out that the prices were incorrect for our club. It would be great to have dietitians during cert taken aside from the personal trainers for more nutrition information and support applicable for our role. Especially if some RD's are not trainers! Some information does not apply to RD's during cert.

2. Corporate Washout

Former Employee - Lifecafe Supervisor
    Former Employee - Lifecafe Supervisor

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I helped open 2 of the clubs in Georgia. Corporate comes down and helps organize and prepare you for opening, they have great insight and are very helpful. They guide without micro-managing and they are there for support, even if it's to tell you to take a break and eat. The pump up "All-Club" meetings are great too, it creates a unique culture and are cherished memories.

A month after the club opens this stops.

Cons

A month after the club opens all of this support stops.

Instead you are handed a strict budget that is difficult to hire enough staff. You can't expect to higher Chick-Fil-A quality with less than McDonald's compensation. Never mind those who work outside at the Poolside Bistro and juggle quick-service, lifeguard breaks and the GA heat.

From my experience, there is not enough storage to handle the inventory needed. Especially in the Bistro! This turns into employees having to go all the way inside to get more inventory.

This all goes back to the staffing shortage, if they cant entice enough people to come work, than you are stuck way overworking staff and working at the bare minimum.

There is a new menu roll-out each year for the cafe and bistro. This menu roll-out includes a price hike and many staple/popular menu items taken off and replaced with new ones. This is hard to explain to members. A lot of time new menu items require a specific ingredient that is ONLY used for that entree/smoothie. This is extremely difficult to manage, if the menu item takes off the food distributors do not have heads up and do not have enough inventory to send out to the clubs. This also adds to the inventory problem, there is extremely limited space to store dry/cold/frozen food. This could easily be fixed by using ingredients for more than one menu item. It would cut down on inventory, frustration, and shortages.

Advice to Management

I do not have an answer for all of my frustrations. But increasing hiring budgets could help EVERYONE out. You entice high quality workers and you can hire the quantity that you need.

Prior to menu roll-outs, reach out to the clubs and the people that ACTUALLY make the food. Verify that there is enough room on the line to hold the ingredients and prepare the item. If there isn't enough room start providing enough space and budget to extend the sandwich/smoothie lines. Please, please, please use ingredients for more than one menu item , especially in the bistro. Some people actually care about their job and that turns into a staff member sprinting into the cafe to get oranges/strawberries/pickles, I could go on, there is always at least one ingredient EVERY year. Perhaps test your new menu items (in all the clubs) before you roll them out. Do some training and testing like you do for a club opening, gather feedback from the employees. You would be surprised the insight they can give you.

Please cutback on the verity or build more room. This is especially important for the bistro.

Lastly, actually care about your employees, or at least fake it a little better. When I reached my 5 year anniversary, all I received was an email. The email was not even sent to me, it was sent to my boss.

Take some time and invest in your employees and listen to their feedback. It will cut down on your employee turnover, provide you with better quality employees and leave you with great, honest, insight.

The member might always right, but the team member isn't always wrong.

3. Assistant

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chanhassen, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chanhassen, MN

I have been working at Life Time Fitness

Pros

Life Time takes chances on young professionals. If you're smart, fast, and driven, you won't find a company that will grow your skills and career faster. For being so large, it's a relatively flat organization, so the opportunities for work in many different areas and levels are exciting.

Cons

Hours can be long. You believe in your work, and most of your co-workers do, too, so it's energizing; but if it isn't for you, there is a big risk of burn out.

Advice to Management

Thank you for being the pace-setter for not only the fitness, and champions for millennials.

Great company to work for, but needs to pay more.

Current Employee - Kids Activities Team Member in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Kids Activities Team Member in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Life Time Fitness part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-free Platinum membership
    -easy to work in many parts of the gym (birthday parties, child center, rock wall, etc)
    -discounts in the cafe and spa

Cons

-The average salary for a babysitter in this area is $10-$15/hour, yet we get paid $8/hour to watch way more kids than a babysitter would
    -You must purchase uniforms
    -You get sent home when there aren't enough children in the child center

Advice to Management

Train your employees better instead of expecting us to know how to handle every little situation.

6. Personal trainer all about the sales

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The members have a lot of money which means almost all of them can afford training. They are cutting edge when it comes to health and wellness.

Cons

The management is money driven and will not stop pushing you all the way up to the end of the month. They increase your sales goal every month even if you have a full plate of clients. They will go out of the scope of practice telling you to sell blood testing which is not morally right for a fitness trainer to do. They will make you work on your day off if you haven't reached your sales goal even if you have already made plans on those days in advance. If you want to feel like a fitness trainer working in a used car dealership Lifetime is the place for you if you want to help people and make a good living look elsewhere for a job.

7. Cafe Employee

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time

Pros

Friendly staff,
    Learn a lot about the health industry,
    Understand how to cut and clean and cook good food
    Get Free Gym membership

Cons

The hours are long!
    The customers can be picky

Advice to Management

Better pay or allow tips

8. Supervisor

I have been working at Life Time Fitness full-time

Pros

Work with young people in their teens and 20's. Great facility to be able to workout at and the ability to network is endless with the clientele.

Cons

Huge turnover, in relation to false promises and pushing employees too hard for a minimal return, not teaching what they preach.

Advice to Management

Take a look back at the business outline/ structure of the company, and stick to it in order to better employees and increase the company's growth.

9. If you value your free time don

Former Employee - Member Engagement Advisor
    Former Employee - Member Engagement Advisor

I worked at Life Time Fitness

Pros

you get a free membership

Cons

no work life balance
    constant changes in how you're paid (100% commission)
    being forced to work 10-14 days in a row

Advice to Management

find a way to pay a base salary if shifts and days are required

10. Lifetime Fitness Kids Activities (Child Center)

I have been working at Life Time Fitness part-time

Pros

Free gym membership
    Easy work
    Flexible hours
    Great for first job/ working teenager

Cons

Poor management
    Low pay (start at minimum wage $7.25)
    No benefits or full time positions offered other than Department Heads, Assistants, MEA's

Advice to Management

Organization is cruical

11. Decent place to work

Former Employee - Lifeguard
    Former Employee - Lifeguard

I worked at Life Time Fitness part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fair compensation, amenable environment, employee discounts, not an overbearing amount of oversight, raises every so often (every few months), etc

Cons

Too many in services, employee feedback not always valued or taken into consideration, not much opportunity for advancement, inflexible hours

Advice to Management

Offer more opportunities for lower-level positions to advance in some way so as to stay with the company; be realistic about employee retention.

RSS Feed </> Embed