Life Time Fitness

Updated December 17, 2014
2.9

Life Time Fitness Chairman, President, and CEO Bahram Akradi
Bahram Akradi

Pros
  • You get a free gym membership to a great facility and good benefits (in 54 reviews)

• I can honestly say the free gym member ship is the only pro (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • You will work long hours especially if you are a Personal Trainer (in 38 reviews)

• Upper management isn't in touch with the problems within the club (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

COOL BEANS

Current Employee - Lifeguard in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Lifeguard in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Life Time Fitness part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Out in the sun. Super chill. Supervisors are really cool. All was good in the hood.

Cons

Make sure you wear sunscreen or else you'll get sunburned and then die. That's no fun for anyone. protect yo skin homeslice.

Personal Trainer

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great company. Amazing benefits. Managers can be great, and willing to work for you if you are willing to dedicate the time to learn from them. This is by far the best place to work as a personal trainer, and you can make more money here than most other high end fitness facilities. Excellent education and high expectations of personal trainers. Leadership structure is good. Learn from everyone you can. I met some very good people and great friends at Life Time. I learned a lot about myself, and I really miss working here.

Cons

Sales goals are high, which is not a negative if you understand this is how you make money. You better figure out on your own or by asking your managers how to hit those targets. There is plenty of training for this, unless you let your ego get in the way of learning. If you don't continually hit your sales goals it will wear on you quickly. You are expected to learn and grow, and contribute to the department. If you have a independent contractor mentality, you will not mesh well with the team or management. Unless, of course, you exceed your sales goals each month, and in that case Life Time will be happy. They may also ask you to help develop other trainers who are struggling. Many people struggle with work/life harmony here. Get your workouts in, work the other 8 hours of your day. Eat healthy. Get enough sleep.

Invest in your team. Understand how to motivate different individuals and learning styles. Be patient in your team members. An employee may be slow to start with sales, but in time they may end up being your most prized employee. Turnover can hinder team cohesion and individual growth. It effects so much. Cohesive teams stay together longer, and this is how you create your own legacy. Build a solid foundation.

Bistro Team Member

Current Employee - Life Cafe Team Member in Syosset, NY
    Current Employee - Life Cafe Team Member in Syosset, NY

I have been working at Life Time Fitness part-time

Pros

flexible work hours, free gym membership,

Cons

Management can get a bit unorganized

Fun to work for and a decent job for a high school student

Former Employee - Child Center Team Member in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Child Center Team Member in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Life Time Fitness part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free membership, Fun atmosphere, Free membership =P

This was a good job for when I was in high school. They offered flexible work hours. They didn't hassle you about switching shifts or time off by making you first ask a supervisor or some other things I have heard employees do, we just had to put our hours in a book and hope someone signed up for them.

Cons

The pay was pretty low $7.50 ... even for a high school job that was pretty low in my area. But since I was just doing it to get some money for leisure it was fine.

Overall a good experience

Current Employee - Swim Instructor in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Swim Instructor in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Life Time Fitness part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I loved my coworkers and my work environment at lifetime, and I was compensated fairly for my time. The kids are great and lifetime's swim program is very well structured.

Cons

There was an overall like of communication in the aquatics department and I would sometimes show up for shifts to find out they had cancelled my class so I was there way to early. Also the few times I was sick and tried to call in, it was a battle to get anyone to answer the phone. I also had a ridiculous commute to this job which wasn't great when my lessons started disappearing in the winter.

Too sales driven

I have been working at Life Time Fitness full-time

Pros

Ability to use the facilities.

Cons

Management is not supportive to employees, they are too focused on dollar signs than employee retention.

Started off great, then corporate got involved.

Former Employee - Aquatics Head Lifeguard/Assistant Department Head
    Former Employee - Aquatics Head Lifeguard/Assistant Department Head

I worked at Life Time Fitness part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free platinum elite membership, gets you into most of the clubs. Pretty flexible schedule. Decent atmosphere.

Cons

This company is terrible to its entire frontline staff. Salaries are horrible considering how much is asked of you. The majority of the management team has no clue what they're doing and corporate steadily looks for ways to skirt around labor laws and drive the slave train until you quit.

As management (not corporate), you don't have control over what the frontliners and hourlies get paid. You do, however, have direct control of their workloads. Please consider how much you are asking of someone that gets paid one fast food meal an hour.

Do not care about their employees

Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Life Time Fitness full-time (less than an year)

Pros

free membership. that's about it

Cons

PT's don't get paid; its 100% commission

Pay your employees!!

Horrible company to work for. Cares only for the bottom dollar, nothing for its wonderful employees

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great employess at the ground level.

Cons

Horrible corporate and leadership from the top. The way they operate and pay their wonderful employees is below any standard. It is terribly sad to see each employee come to work wondering if they will have a job that day. Those with great value to the company are the first to go if their salary gets too high. No warnings before firing.

Keep your good employees. They are what made you who you are

Life Time

I have been working at Life Time Fitness

Pros

Great Pay and training is fantastic... may seem micromanaging- but ensures success

Cons

NO work/ home life balance, Pretty much live at the Club... lose your hair fast

High turnover is due to no home/ work life balance.... 3 days 9-9 mandatory.... 10 hour work days... only single, younger males with thrive