Life Time Fitness Reviews

Updated August 30, 2014

2.9

Life Time Fitness Chairman, President, and CEO Bahram Akradi
Bahram Akradi

Pros
  • You get a free gym membership to a great facility and good benefits (in 39 reviews)

• I loved having a free gym membership for myself and a deep discount for my spouse (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • You will work long hours especially if you are a Personal Trainer (in 27 reviews)

• Upper management flirts with teenage male staff, rather than managing (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst Company Ever - DO NOT WORK HERE!!!

I have been working at Life Time Fitness full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Life Time Fitness is branded as the Healthy Way of Life Company. This is a great image and thing to stand behind.

Cons

I work in sales and have no work life balance. The people in sales fudge the numbers and lie, cheat and steal from each other. Regional and national sales leadership turn a blind eye and promote people that are not dynamic leaders, but rather really good at selling themselves as such. When you track their activity it is obvious to see that they use the systems to make it appear that they are doing well. Something called CTD is a commonly used source for "faking" phone calls or just quickly calling and hanging up on people. People enter fake leads and set up incorrect memberships to hit their numbers. And the sales people are not to blame, but rather leadership for ignoring these activities. Life Time doesn't take a lot of time to make sure that sales people are properly trained before going to Life Time's sales cert or ensuring success afterward. The entire organization is one big boys club from the top down and it's well known, yet nothing happens to change it. The budgets are set so high that it is damn near impossible for most sales teams to hit without some sort of luck or cheating. It promotes the idea in fact. So for people like me that work hard, work with integrity, and own their business it is quite demoralizing. You are passed over by someone less qualified or talented because of reasons that they can't even explain to you.

My advice to management is start caring more about the people and not the numbers. Who cares if you make 100 calls that don't mean a thing because 90% of them were less than 10 secs. The things that matters are, "Are you getting the job done? Do your people work hard for you and trust you? Do the members enjoy coming and see success?" The answer to all three lies within the team members. Take care of them and they will take care of you. Life Time Fitness changed my life by giving me a wonderful opportunity to change my life for the better, but over the years things have drastically changed and numbers are the only focus it seems. Life Time is not the company it once standing for doing the right thing and wanting what was best for our members. The organization has changed in a way that all that matters is the stock price and therefore let's hike up the price on our members and pay our people less. Jack up the budgets so that team members don't make as much. And then blame the field when in reality the responsibility lies with our leaders. Stop placing blame and take ownership of the part you play in Life Time's Current failures.

No Home/Work Life Balance

Current Employee - Aquatics Department Head
    Current Employee - Aquatics Department Head

I have been working at Life Time Fitness full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Salary isn't bad for a beginning manager and there are financial incentives for those who over perform. Expectations are set very high.

Cons

No training for new managers, expected to work lots of different hours, hourly employees are paid very little, not a very good job for someone who has kids and needs a set work schedule.

Train your managers and give them better support. Make it easier for people with families to work by offering in center child care for more than 2 hours.

Life Time Fitness

I have been working at Life Time Fitness

Pros

None. Poor leadership, unless you're buddies with the CEO

Cons

Long hours & VERY low pay. Huge amount of turnover

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun, but very stressful place to work

Former Employee - Operations Team Member  in  Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Operations Team Member in Troy, MI

I worked at Life Time Fitness part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The job allows for full time and part time work and also includes a gym membership with the job. You tend to meet a lot of interesting people while working there.

Cons

The pay is pretty much minimum wage and as everyone knows, this is not a living wage making working a second job necessary. This means that you are tired all the time.

Pay the employees better.

Nice facility to work in

Former Employee - Childcare Team Member
    Former Employee - Childcare Team Member

I worked at Life Time Fitness part-time

Pros

Free gym membership, fun to be with kids

Cons

underpaid, overworked, bad management, no raises or benefits

interesting environment

I worked at Life Time Fitness part-time

Pros

good people that band together but not enough to keep me there. always found myself getting taught which was a huge plus and i loved the people around me and the culture.

Cons

bad management and the values around were not enough with what we got paid to keep anyone around. it was messy and undervaluing.

Want to bust your bum and make just over minimum wage?

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Life Time Fitness part-time for less than a year

Pros

Free gym membership! 20% discount in the salon. Plenty of hours to make a depressing hourly wage.

Cons

Ridiculously low pay. Promises of raises with no follow through. Promises of promotions with no follow through. You work with infantile teenagers that only wish to discuss how hammered they got the night before. No trust will be put on you - just lots and lots of micromanaging. Step by step job instructions, no matter how well you know your job. Upper management flirts with teenage male staff, rather than managing. Management has no leadership ability and is trying to overcompensate for being a loser in her personal life.

There definitely needs to be more training and accountability on day to day management. Even upper management grabs food with her bare hands and eat while in the kitchen, straight from the bowl.

Great Company to work for

Former Employee - Facility Operations  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Facility Operations in Houston, TX

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Love the interaction with the gym members. Over time you really get to know the people, who come in. Fast pace environment. You are rarely left without anything to do.

Cons

Lack of raise or promotion despite delivering excellent service. I completely understand that management is trying to stretch their budgets as far as they can, but keeping their employees happy should be number one. I only worked for one who understood that keep value.

Should definitely focus on promotions, because the great talent that is there will leave over time and if you are member focused, those members love seeing those team members that they have gotten to know that drives them coming back to the gym month after month.

terrible management behind a great facility

Current Employee - Life Cafe Team Member  in  Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Life Cafe Team Member in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Life Time Fitness part-time for more than a year

Pros

Free membership to awesome facility
    Great people
    Good experience
    Discounts on food and services

Cons

Poor management by non-leaders solely seeking a profit and looking out for the brand's image
    Life Time pushes the boundaries of being a unethical business
    Be prepared to work hard, long hours
    If you don't work at Corporate, expect mediocre pay

You need to lookout for your employees. Give them a fair wage and overtime/holiday pay.

Great company that cares about team members AND members!

Current Employee - Group Fitness Instructor  in  Mansfield, TX
    Current Employee - Group Fitness Instructor in Mansfield, TX

I have been working at Life Time Fitness part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Healthy way of life attitude around the entire club.

Cons

Sometimes very VERY detailed work

Worked for Life Time Fitness? Contribute to the Community!