Life Time Fitness

Updated September 27, 2014
2.9

Life Time Fitness Chairman, President, and CEO Bahram Akradi
Bahram Akradi

Pros
  • You get a free gym membership to a great facility and good benefits (in 48 reviews)

• I loved having a free gym membership for myself and a deep discount for my spouse (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • You will work long hours especially if you are a Personal Trainer (in 34 reviews)

• Upper management flirts with teenage male staff, rather than managing (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Great work environment with good benefits

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chanhassen, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chanhassen, MN

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time

Pros

Working just ten hours a week gets you a free membership (normally 100+ a month!), fun work environment with great benefits that come along with your membership such as gas discounts, movie discounts, etc. If you put in a hard work effort you will be rewarded quickly with promotions

Cons

while working, especially near the end of summer when everyone goes back to school we were understaffed at times making it difficult to stay within regulations. Very strict corporate rules (I worked next to the corporate offices). If you didn't have the vision and mission statement memorized at all times, weren't within in strict accordance with dress code, etc you would be written up. People from Corporate like to come in and pretend to be members to see how you react. Many i dealt with however were unreasonable and expect high quotas when they haven't worked a day on the floor.

Great

I have been working at Life Time Fitness part-time for more than a year

Pros

Love the people i work with.Fun atmosphere

Cons

Pay is not the best

Worst job ever.

Former Employee - Life Cafe Team Member  in  Humble, TX
    Former Employee - Life Cafe Team Member in Humble, TX

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time

Pros

Free gym membership. Good food.

Cons

All about sales, never about the people. Always short-staffed and over tasked. No sense of a "team" whatsoever. Unnecessary time constraints. A cold culture.

Completely change the entire culture or it's FUBAR.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Too bad...

I worked at Life Time Fitness

Pros

The potential of Life Time Fitness is enormous. They have the industry captivated. They are growing and offer strong opportunity for advancement.

Cons

It is impossible to get things done. Senior leadership changes their mind constantly on what the focus should be and they confuse the team members. They need to decide who they want to be and stick to it. They invest in new products and services often but fail to invest in the frontline team members. Turnover is so high but the company fails to admit the gap they have in employee satisfaction.

Learn to trust your employees. Truly make it a place that people at all levels of the organization love coming to work at every day.

All work no personal life

Current Employee - Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Life Time Fitness full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Everything you need is at life time: cafe, spa, pools, courts, fitness

Cons

Minimum wage, long hours, useless online learning, company seems to have a new direction every 6 months, management changes every 3 months, work all holidays with nothing in return, they expect the world from you for minimum wage and no recognition

Find another career. There is no way you can have a positive work/life balance if you're in management here.

Nothing Surprising

Current Employee - Kids Activities Manager  in  Maple Grove, MN
    Current Employee - Kids Activities Manager in Maple Grove, MN

I have been working at Life Time Fitness part-time for more than a year

Pros

Free membership, easy access to facilities

Cons

poor management skills, gossiping, rude members, ridiculous hours

Kids Academy Team Member

Former Employee - Kids Activities Team Member  in  Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Kids Activities Team Member in Reston, VA

I worked at Life Time Fitness part-time for less than a year

Pros

The free membership was by far the best part. Also, if you liking working with a wide variety of aged kids, this job is perfect. I like how the workers ages ranged from high school students to adults. Also, the option for kids to be in classes made it easier to manage the 60+ kids that were in the Academy at once.

Cons

The reason I left was the hours. Because there were so few employees, we were all signed up to do shifts almost everyday after initially being told I would only have to work 10 hours a week. Also, many of my co-workers, especially the younger ones, did not take the job seriously. With a 12:1 ratio, there was no room for laziness.

The structuring of the Academy needs to change. There needs to be a smaller ratio and more space for older kids to play away from the smaller children.

Decent summer job for students

I worked at Life Time Fitness

Pros

Within a facility there are a variety of jobs one could peform/switch to/be promoted to. Within the company, I believe it is the case that all employees receive free membership benefits. On the whole, Lifetime provides a family-oriented/fast-moving work place.

Cons

Lots of turn-over which leaves to mismatches between individual qualifications and job responsibilities. With that said, anyone who stays at the company could probably move up if they hold. Not an amazing place to work, but bearable.

Life Time loves to build the ship *while* its sailing.

I have been working at Life Time Fitness full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The member connection is great, most of the clubs are beautiful, plenty of opportunity to exercise and be healthy. When you have a GM who is a good person, opportunity for career growth is wonderful, and most employees in the club feel genuinely valuable to their team and know their presence at work each day makes a difference.

Cons

dysfunctional management, training and on-boarding programs are non-existent in most departments, "good enough" approach to ancillary programs such as the spa leaves commission-based employees with unlivable wages and no choice but to find alternative employment. Each facility operates like its own dictatorship, with the GM being the say-all-end-all to company policy loopholes.

A half dozen marketing campaigns per year are a great start, but when you have commission employees, the feast or famine approach is 80% of the reason they leave. "best people" mission is not reflected in pay. High product charges and sliding scale commissions make seasoned stylists, massage therapists, and estheticians see self-employment as the superior choice. Corporate VPs with salary and no spa background are apathetic to the very foundation of resources technicians need to be successful in this unique environment. Waiting days/weeks for product shipments, marketing supplies, training on ad campaigns, etc make success a near impossibility.

No Home/Work Life Balance

Current Employee - Aquatics Department Head
    Current Employee - Aquatics Department Head

I have been working at Life Time Fitness full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Salary isn't bad for a beginning manager and there are financial incentives for those who over perform. Expectations are set very high.

Cons

No training for new managers, expected to work lots of different hours, hourly employees are paid very little, not a very good job for someone who has kids and needs a set work schedule.

Train your managers and give them better support. Make it easier for people with families to work by offering in center child care for more than 2 hours.

Worked for Life Time Fitness? Contribute to the Community!