Life Time Fitness

Updated September 18, 2014
2.9

Life Time Fitness Chairman, President, and CEO Bahram Akradi
Bahram Akradi

Pros
  • You get a free gym membership to a great facility and good benefits (in 39 reviews)

• I loved having a free gym membership for myself and a deep discount for my spouse (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • You will work long hours especially if you are a Personal Trainer (in 27 reviews)

• Upper management flirts with teenage male staff, rather than managing (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Don't waste your time here

Former Employee - Member Engagement Advisor  in  Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Member Engagement Advisor in Detroit, MI

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time for less than a year

Pros

The only benefit that I can think of is that you get a free membership to some of the facilities. The health benefits are good if you can get them set up correctly... Management isn't there to help you, they're there to hang out with their friends and do the bare minimum.

Cons

Everything else that the job constitutes is a con. Low pay (100% commission), long hours, no help from upper management... pretty much everything... They actually tell you to keep drilling the prospect in your office until they get so mad that they actually leave or want to hit you.

Help out your team instead of just telling them some random things and expecting them to walk away without a real answer.

Worst job of my life

Former Employee - Life Cafe Supervisor  in  Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Life Cafe Supervisor in Centennial, CO

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pro's are a free gym membership, discounted food, health insurance benefits and state of the art facilities and equipment.

Cons

Labor law violations...... wish I was kidding. This company tried to monitor my restroom breaks. This is completely and totally illegal. I should have and contemplated filing a suit. That being said I did not use the restroom anymore than any healthy person would.
    This company tries to manage every single aspect of the job to the point where you cant even do the job. There is an incredible amount of frivolous drama that does nothing but create a toxic, stressful work environment.
    This company will do anything to cut financial corners, especially understaffing. They will lead you in by promising promotions and advancement which never happens. They also talk abut management duties, which are part of the job description I had. I had zero management duties and at least two superiors on every shift so I was never in charge of anything. Other issues include favoritism, talking down, low pay, extremely high turnover, name calling and backstabbing.

Company culture needs a total overhaul. In training they talk about all the values and missions of the company making it sound like a great place to work when in reality it is a completely toxic environment harnessing everything they aim to avoid. Many of the staff members are narcissistic and talk down to employees. There only goal is 1% customer service and 99% sals, once they know you wont buy anything you are non-existant. Senior management failed to check in even once with employees. It turnover is high..... you have issues.

Worst Company Ever - DO NOT WORK HERE!!!

I have been working at Life Time Fitness full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Life Time Fitness is branded as the Healthy Way of Life Company. This is a great image and thing to stand behind.

Cons

I work in sales and have no work life balance. The people in sales fudge the numbers and lie, cheat and steal from each other. Regional and national sales leadership turn a blind eye and promote people that are not dynamic leaders, but rather really good at selling themselves as such. When you track their activity it is obvious to see that they use the systems to make it appear that they are doing well. Something called CTD is a commonly used source for "faking" phone calls or just quickly calling and hanging up on people. People enter fake leads and set up incorrect memberships to hit their numbers. And the sales people are not to blame, but rather leadership for ignoring these activities. Life Time doesn't take a lot of time to make sure that sales people are properly trained before going to Life Time's sales cert or ensuring success afterward. The entire organization is one big boys club from the top down and it's well known, yet nothing happens to change it. The budgets are set so high that it is damn near impossible for most sales teams to hit without some sort of luck or cheating. It promotes the idea in fact. So for people like me that work hard, work with integrity, and own their business it is quite demoralizing. You are passed over by someone less qualified or talented because of reasons that they can't even explain to you.

My advice to management is start caring more about the people and not the numbers. Who cares if you make 100 calls that don't mean a thing because 90% of them were less than 10 secs. The things that matters are, "Are you getting the job done? Do your people work hard for you and trust you? Do the members enjoy coming and see success?" The answer to all three lies within the team members. Take care of them and they will take care of you. Life Time Fitness changed my life by giving me a wonderful opportunity to change my life for the better, but over the years things have drastically changed and numbers are the only focus it seems. Life Time is not the company it once standing for doing the right thing and wanting what was best for our members. The organization has changed in a way that all that matters is the stock price and therefore let's hike up the price on our members and pay our people less. Jack up the budgets so that team members don't make as much. And then blame the field when in reality the responsibility lies with our leaders. Stop placing blame and take ownership of the part you play in Life Time's Current failures.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Member engagement advisor

I have been working at Life Time Fitness

Pros

Free Gym membership and discount at cafe

Cons

Awful management! Encouraged to work 80 hours per week and dissatisfied with your efforts if you take a day off.

Life Time Fitness

I have been working at Life Time Fitness

Pros

None. Poor leadership, unless you're buddies with the CEO

Cons

Long hours & VERY low pay. Huge amount of turnover

If you want to live an UNhealthy way of life, then Life Time is the place for you! Otherwise, RUN AWAY

Current Employee - Manager  in  Berkeley Heights, NJ
    Current Employee - Manager in Berkeley Heights, NJ

I have been working at Life Time Fitness full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Free membership
    Pools, Sauna, Steam
    Beautiful space
    Nice equipment
    Great food in cafe
    Day spa/salon
    Meeting nice people- team members and members

Cons

Where should I start? Like drinking Kool-Aid & poison, want to lose insight on your personal morals and values, want no work/home life balance & live an unhealthy way of life, then apply for a position at Life Time. If not, RUN while you can!!! It's the MOST unhealthy way of life atmosphere for employees. Company can't possibly think it's normal that sales people are asked to work 8am - midnight the last few days of month, Managers are abused daily, team members are paid minimal wage and asked to do more than a slave would be, and whoever is in MN doing the hiring, should be fired. It's a joke who most of the leaders are! Have no personal training or management experience.???? You can Apply for a department head position and depending who is doing the hiring that day, you might just get the job!!!

Highly recommend reviewing the Mission, Vision, and 4 healthy way of life behaviors! If the senior management understood and followed this, it would be easy to pass down the chain. Quite sad that being a full time employee for 4 years in the Northeast, I never heard of the Area Director until my boss was fired and he called me in a room to tell me not to speak to her. I never even saw or met him before. I actually don't even know his name. Re-evaluate your main men in charge and if you put the right people in place, the clubs would be successful

Completely sucked the life out of me!

Current Employee - Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Life Time Fitness full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I can no longer recommend. ..it teaches you how to run a business but at the expense of giving up your life/family.

Cons

Absolutely no work life balance...I am miserable. Life Time is run like a cult, Braham and corp are completely out of control!

Stop backstabbing and micromanaging!

Nice facility to work in

Former Employee - Childcare Team Member
    Former Employee - Childcare Team Member

I worked at Life Time Fitness part-time

Pros

Free gym membership, fun to be with kids

Cons

underpaid, overworked, bad management, no raises or benefits

interesting environment

I worked at Life Time Fitness part-time

Pros

good people that band together but not enough to keep me there. always found myself getting taught which was a huge plus and i loved the people around me and the culture.

Cons

bad management and the values around were not enough with what we got paid to keep anyone around. it was messy and undervaluing.

Want to bust your bum and make just over minimum wage?

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Life Time Fitness part-time for less than a year

Pros

Free gym membership! 20% discount in the salon. Plenty of hours to make a depressing hourly wage.

Cons

Ridiculously low pay. Promises of raises with no follow through. Promises of promotions with no follow through. You work with infantile teenagers that only wish to discuss how hammered they got the night before. No trust will be put on you - just lots and lots of micromanaging. Step by step job instructions, no matter how well you know your job. Upper management flirts with teenage male staff, rather than managing. Management has no leadership ability and is trying to overcompensate for being a loser in her personal life.

There definitely needs to be more training and accountability on day to day management. Even upper management grabs food with her bare hands and eat while in the kitchen, straight from the bowl.

Worked for Life Time Fitness? Contribute to the Community!