LifeCare Hospitals

Updated August 20, 2014
Updated August 20, 2014

2.0

CEO

They are running us into the ground.

I have been working at LifeCare Hospitals full-time

Pros

None. If I could have given zero stars, I would have.

Cons

They bought us from a company that was great to work for. They said they would show us "how a hospital is run." First, they declared bankruptcy, and now they are cutting back so much that full-time people are only getting about 25 hours a week. At this rate, I'll be out of PTO time soon. They still expect all the work to get done, but in much less time, with fewer people. Morale is terrible. They took a great hospital and they ruined it.

I have been told that a casual employee has to stay on the schedule in place of me, even though I am full-time and my hours have been cut back severely. I was told that we have to keep the casuals happy, or we won't have them when we need them. That implies that casuals are more important to you than full-time people. Why is that? Is it because you don't have to pay for their benefits or give them raises? Do you really think people aren't going to figure this out? If you want casuals so bad, be careful what you wish for, because you will end up with only casuals and part-timers when all your full-time employees get disgusted and leave.

CEO WORTHLESS AND HAS SURROUNDED HIMSELF WITH MINDLESS FOLLOWERS

Former Employee - Management  in  Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Management in Dayton, OH

I worked at LifeCare Hospitals full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Humm, give me a minute

Cons

Management from the Local CEO Down completely cliqueish, undereducated and undertrained. In short a complete clusterfunk. The CEO shows up less than 50% of the time, blows hot air, his management team, with only a notable exception or two, is made up of third stringers that couldn't get hired anywhere else. Corporate tolerates and condones this.

Fire yourselves

Horrendous Patient Conditions-DON'T LEAVE YOUR FAMILY MEMBERS HERE

I have been working at LifeCare Hospitals full-time

Pros

NONE- They could care less about their patients

Cons

I would give them a zero if possible. My dad went there because he has COPD and pneumonia. He has dementia as well. They kept him under "restraints" keeping his arms tied to the bed his entire stay which was about a month. He came out with serious bed sores, toe fungus, toenails an inch too long and bleeding, continued pneumonia because they kept him strapped down like an animal, and would rarely feed him because they kept him tied to the bed so he couldn't feed himself. He was lucky if someone showed up to feed him. DON'T SEND YOUR LOVED ONES HERE. THEY SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN.

Take care of your patients for a change. The state should shut all of these down.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrendous!!!! They do not care about there employees at all!!!!!

Current Employee - Respiratory Therapist  in  Mechanicsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Respiratory Therapist in Mechanicsburg, PA

I have been working at LifeCare Hospitals

Pros

I'm sorry but the only reason I work for them is because our previous co was purchased by them & I had no choice. I was optimistic when they took over but that is gone. There horrible & could care less about there employees & in turn that directly reflects on how much they care about the patients in the facility

Cons

Absolutely everything!!!!! The turn over since they came is insane & they just don't care. They cut our hours tremendously & being a hired full time employee being forced to use all our PTO & dealing w unacceptable loss of hours( like 20-25 per pay) has really taken it's toll on everyone. They treat us like slaves wanting 1 person to handle a patient load of like 15-20 patients is not ok nor safe. All they care about is there bottom line apparently not realising that the employees are the face of there hospital & when u work them to death & treat them like garbage how are we supposed todo our job adequately & gi e the patients the care they allare paying for & deserve. I wouldn't recommend anyone to this hospital & that is very sad because before they came along I as well as many others loved there job now it's just where we go to pay our bills. I've talked to corporate regarding this & they don't care In the least.

Show the people who run your hospital (ie the employees) the respect we've earned & deserve & know it's not all about you. The patients are the priority & maybe if u wanted your hospital to be more successful you would act that way. I wish someone would take your hours from youikd you've done to us so you could see what your doing

The "no tolerance policy" should be "we tolerate aggresive,abusive,and disruptive behaviors"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Dayton, OH

I have been working at LifeCare Hospitals

Pros

Great co-workers, long time friendships.

Cons

Being told to clock out and then finish my work. Being yelled at in front of my peers. Being so disruptive on a daily basis that it is almost impossible to get work done. Everyday having a different focus on a new process none which envoles patient care. Being pitted against other departments. Only caring about how many patients we can get in an not about taking care of the ones we have, and finally you only have a chance for promotion if your a male.

Support the hospital as a whole, and open your eyes to what's really going on.

Awesome co workers, lousy management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I have been working at LifeCare Hospitals

Pros

Great co workers, supportive immediate supervisors

Cons

Complete lack of respect and appreciation for hourly employees, constant change in policy and procedures without impact evaluation, a "blame the employee" mentality when things go wrong without considering staffing and resource deficits, accomadation of one group of employees at teh expense of others.

Encourage HONEST feedback from employees, consider the possibility that we do our jobs every day, we may have a good idea of what works and what doesn't. Quit playing divide and conquer by pittng shifts and rotations against one another. Focus on real issues, instead of using created ones as a smolescreen.

People are great, but there is an extreme absence of real leadership.

I have been working at LifeCare Hospitals

Pros

Your co-workers, for the most part, are nice people. In most positions, there is job stability. The goal of the company, caring for patients and their families, is something to make you proud of your work. In the right circumstances, it does feel like more than just a job.

Cons

There is no leadership. They never hold anyone accountable. They make arbitrary rules whenever the mood strikes them, but they never follow-up on whether it accomplishes anything. Employees are treated differently based on which group of people they hang out with. There is a class-conscious atmosphere, and the attitude of "it's not my job" is rampant.

Apply the rules equally. When you put a new policy in place, get feedback from the people that will be affected first. Then follow-up on a regular basis. Communicate, communicate, communicate. Your employees are not the enemy.

Good place to start your career

I have been working at LifeCare Hospitals full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lifecare is a great place if you are starting your career. Work/life balance is a huge plus.

Cons

The company does not care about keeping their good employees and getting rid of the bad. Management does not listen to their employees, morale is low, pay is not competitive.

Listen to your employees and reward your good ones. They actually have a lot of inside knowledge of what is really going on in the company. The company has lost a lot of good employees because they were too cheap to pay them what they are worth.

my " rose colored glasses" fell off !

Current Employee - Employee  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at LifeCare Hospitals

Pros

~for the most part, excellent coworkers.
    ~great doctors, nutritionist, administration, case management, nice building.

Cons

~bullying towards employees by loudmouth employees.
    ~direct/indirect harassment from management.....this is unexceptable.
    ~ tolerance for those employees who constantly decide not to show up to work.
    ~as of late,EMPLOYEE/PATIENT SAFETY..lousy working equipment/ adjusting the nursing to patient ratio for PROPER correct care.
    ~not backing up your employees.
    ~correcting or repremanding employees in public....REMEMBER ...you were there once.
    ~backlash/or just plain lying when coming to some mamnagement with problems and/or questions

~to the ceo...this is a great hospital, please take care of/keep in touch with your staff who have direct care with your patients. we need to be physically,mentally and spiritually healthy to better serve our patients....thank you....remember the mission statement....and i think it will get and stay a fantastic place to work and be if your the patient.

Great co-workers, lousy management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pewaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pewaukee, WI

I worked at LifeCare Hospitals

Pros

Staff and immediate supervisors are great to work with. I met some really wonderful people in the time I worked there. There were also some great educational opportunities.

Cons

The people in upper management had a lot of turnover in time that I worked there. 3 CEO's, 3 DON's, 3 HR managers in less than 2 years. There is a culture of employees blaming each other and stabbing one another in the back. Gossiping is widespread; it is a very toxic work environment if you are not in with the popular crowd. I have never worked in such a place that felt like I was back in high school.

Address conflicts and gossiping. Having a policy of "Zero tolerance" means nothing if you allow slander and back stabbing on a daily basis. Listen to the staff. Recognize that staff needs support in order to do the best job.

Worked for LifeCare Hospitals? Contribute to the Community!