LifeChurch.tv

Updated August 18, 2014
Updated August 18, 2014
4.8

Craig Groeschel

Pros
  • tv has an incredible passion for developing people to become better (in 7 reviews)

• Team and personal development are both very important at LifeChurch (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • It's also a high feedback culture (in 7 reviews)

• It's a fast-paced work environment, which is exciting but can also lead you to feeling swamped (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work, but very challenging

I have been working at LifeChurch.tv for more than 5 years

Pros

Culture is amazing! Casual attire is great.

Cons

Pay is not what you would make in the corporate world but the expectations are higher than the corporate world.

Generally positive experience with heaps of frustration.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at LifeChurch.tv full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cool offices and environment, a great Senior pastor, positive and encouraging overall vision.

Cons

Lifechurch is built on top of young adults willing and able to make life, time and compensation sacrifices. If you have a family, kids in school, commitments outside of work, good luck having enough time and making enough pay to generally support your family.

You'll be asked to sacrifice a healthy amount of your time for the greater good, which again doesn't work well in the context of families (but is capable for young employees with little commitments).

You'll be paid 40-60% of your market rate salary. Don't expect to ever make what you're actually worth in the regular job market.

Personal development is minimal to non existent despite it being touted as a benefit of joining the team. My team leaders did not encourage professional nor personal development.

I came away with the general feeling that leadership was too heavily focused on the mission and very little thought was given to the people making the mission happen. 1. In the 2 years I worked there, I never once had a personal lunch with my leaders. 2. My Head Team leader did not know the date of my last workday, despite a 2 full weeks notice and it being a substantial departure. This can only lead me to believe that the people making the mission happen are not valued in comparison to the mission itself. We are merely resources that come and go and the turnover is there to prove it.

Personal and professional development is massively important if Lifechurch is going to require significant amounts of time commitment and underpay it's team.

Leadership should balance its focus better between the mission and its people. We're treated as resources, which feels very unprofessional and disrespectful for a church organization. Leaders should invest 50% in their direct mission and 50% in the people they lead. The ratio for my leaders was 95% mission and 5% people. That has to change or you will continue to lose valuable people who are passionate about your mission but aren't being taken care of.

The ability to fulfill my calling while gaining self awareness to deepen my understanding of who I am in Christ.

I have been working at LifeChurch.tv full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I appreciate the quick pace with which LC moves. As leaders we are allowed to be innovative and allowed to take business risks that further the ministry. The personal growth that is initiated when you fully embrace the culture is phenominal.

Cons

The role of women within LC has been minimalized. As long as you focus on who you are in Christ this will not affect you.

Don't limit advancement based on gender. For our ministry to be culturally relevant we have to have women in significant leadership roles.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good environment for personal growth

Current Employee - Manager Level  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Manager Level in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at LifeChurch.tv full-time for more than a year

Pros

Learning opportunities include personal awareness profiles with ongoing support environments and "continuing education" curriculum, book discussions and self-paced video teaching.

Cons

While leadership at highest levels sets out excellent values and goals, individual team leaders may not have enough work experience or 'life exposure' to helm such a rapidly-growing staff. Skewing toward a younger workforce certainly keeps energy fresh and current, but seems to sacrifice workplace maturity and life experience mentoring models.

Consider balancing your workforce with a better blend of youth and maturity. To publicly declare that you are looking to staff mostly young adults could be seen as age-discrimination or perhaps taken discouragingly by mature workers who would otherwise be wiling to invest their wisdom and hearts into the culture.

Development matters

I have been working at LifeChurch.tv full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

My development matters. I matter as a person. The people I work with and the relationships I've made are for life. Even if I don't work here in 10 years, I would still be friends with these people.

Cons

Feeling left out because I work remote from the Central Offices.

It would be nice to be recognized by the DLT if they saw me out in public. I don't think they even know who I am.

Amazing place for full-time ministry, but of course even working for a church can have it's downsides

I have been working at LifeChurch.tv full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

being a part of an amazing ministry and seeing the real-life impact of your work, really strong culture, great people to work with, very development focused, well resourced, on the cutting edge of using technology in the church, flexible schedule, generous benefits and fun events/perks

Cons

lack of diversity in senior leadership and at the campus level, teams are often understaffed - and so work/life balance can be an issue if you're not careful, you won't be paid your market rate here even though this is a very well resourced church.

more diversity (gender and racial) when selecting new campus pastors to groom

Great people_Young leadership

I have been working at LifeChurch.tv full-time for more than a year

Pros

People are great to work and love the environment. Very talented people with a passion for the mission of leading people to be fully devoted followers of Christ.

Cons

Very young staff and leadership which creates some lack of organization and departmental direction. Lots of turnover which makes it difficult to build synergy. Feedback is a core value but needs more balance especially on the blind spots we all have.

I would recommend a more balanced approach to the hiring process too much youth can be as detrimental to an organization as the reverse. We miss a big opportunity to learn from the more seasoned employee when we pass over them in the interview process.

Uplifting, challenging work environment. Solid, intentional leadership. Great benefits and opportunities.

I have been working at LifeChurch.tv full-time for more than a year

Pros

LifeChurch.tv is an incredible place to work. We're lead by great people with a strong and passionate vision to reach the world for Christ. We're constantly urged and provided opportunities to grow in our careers, as well as to grow in our spiritual walks and our relationships with our families. You don't work here because you want to make a lot of money, but the pay is still competitive and the benefits are excellent. Working here is fast-paced and oftentimes challenging, but the pursuit of excellence in all we do for God's Kingdom is worth every stressful situation. Working hard all week and then knowing that in some little way I had a part to play in someone's life being changed on the weekend is more gratifying than I can express.

Cons

Communication between different areas can sometimes be unclear, and there could be a much better understanding of how every branch (Creative Media, YouVersion, Church Online, Finance, NextGen, etc.) works and depends on each other. There are processes in place to create a smooth work flow, but occasionally those are gone around, which can create unnecessary pressure for some employees. We've been blessed by great growth as a team, but that means that popping into someone's office to request a project that is needed in less than a week is getting more and more difficult to execute. Sticking to the great processes we have in place could really help this.

Developing training that would help every division really learn the processes/needs/concerns of every other division would be awesome. Having a look at making salaries slightly more competitive would also be a good thing.

LifeChurch.tv has the most challenging yet most rewarding and flexible work environment I have experienced.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmond, OK

I have been working at LifeChurch.tv part-time for more than a year

Pros

The best thing about working at LifeChurch.tv is that I really feel like I am helping to make a difference in people's lives. The corporate values are posted everywhere - and it's not just something that leadership can toot their horn about - everyone lives those values. I also love the fact that every staff person is extremely motivated and hard-working. I've worked in places where people are allowed to goof off a lot and never get me what I need when I need it. Not here. People work and work hard. At the same time, managers are flexible and understand that family comes first. If I need to take off for sick kids, or if I'm sick, there are lots of options available to me. I can choose to work from home (my computer is set up to do that from DAY 1!). I can use my leave. I can adjust my hours to make up the time. Or any combination thereof.

Cons

LifeChurch.tv tends to wait to hire additional people until one person is carrying the load of at least 2 full-time people. If you don't have a good rapport with your manager, or if you are afraid that if you communicate your stress to your manager he/she will think you can't handle the job, you can easily get discouraged and overwhelmed. We use the Meyer's Briggs personality test, and if you have a manager that is a hard "TJ", it's very difficult for "FP" types to feel like they are cared about or heard.

Another con for the area where I work is a lack of training or education of the processes to the entire organization. Many of the online training courses are out-of-date, but no one has time to update them. It takes a back seat to immediate pressures.We need one place to go for current policies - all policies - not just the ones for a particular area. And they need to be kept current as practices change. It can just be very confusing for those trying to adhere to them. Also, new hires have it rough. Desk supplies are available, but not readily provided. They are handed a laptop (which is cool!) but then basically left to search for the basic necessities like pen, paper, staplers and sticky notes. And there is no training for even how to use the phone.

Central teams are focused on their one department and set up processes in a vacuum. It seems like we need a team or person to coordinate efforts across all central teams. Each central team has a different way for the campuses to interact with their team rather than one way for all central teams. It's got to be very confusing and time-consuming for the campuses to get things done.

I couldn't imagine a better place to work!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Edmond, OK
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Edmond, OK

I have been working at LifeChurch.tv full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

First of all, there's no greater mission you could work for. Secondly, my co workers are amazing and genuine friends - they truly care about me, my growth & my well being. Its a really fun environment

Cons

You have to be willing to give up things you love for things you love even more, like a fat salary.

Work on making yourselves more visible and show more interest in your staff at any level.

Worked for LifeChurch.tv? Contribute to the Community!