LifeLine Ambulance Service

Brian J. Connor

1. Non Biased Review of Lifeline MA

Former Employee - EMT
    Former Employee - EMT

I worked at LifeLine Ambulance Service full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Will Hire with no Experience
    - All Available resources at your fingertips
    -Pay is SLIGHTLY higher than most private companies
    -If you fly under the radar and do your job, Your left alone
    -New trucks being bought and circulated into the field
    -Very flexible schedules
    -New technology utilized
    -Will get you the XP to move on to bigger and better opportunities if your not an idiot.

Cons

-The HR "Department" is struggling with workload,Requests, Communication, & issues
    -Reviews and Raises that were promised to many during hiring have yet to come (Some many months past)
    -Extremely Belittling middle management & Support staff (ie: Operations,Clinical, Mechanics, IT, )
    -A lot of folks seemed to have lost PTO and Sick time due to a recent & sudden policy change, some with Families who were working hard to earn after the new review process was announced (Got skipped over and told to wait until next review in a year, While select few complained and got it) Seems like Fuzzy math now with no real good way of knowing what you have earned other than an email request.
    -Company has decided to drop those with less seniority to 36 hours FT under the mask "Better for the employee"so when you get held over they don't have to pay overtime plus saving 4 hrs x hundreds of employees = Big Company savings.
    - "Its not what you know,but who you know" Advancement opportunities & Favoritism to completely inept unqualified base supervisors & Marketing "managers"
    -Overtime is now Favored to those working 36 hours, not those of us working 40 (Big company savings)
    - Lifeline is experiencing some growing pains being a young company and is unknowingly (or not) burning lots of Loyal hardworking employees in the process.

Advice to Management

We get it, Stirring the pot, new blood, Cheaper hiring pay...... We cant fault you for growing your American dream, But is it so bad to have Loyal long term employees? those who show up EVERY SHIFT, Don't complain and make you money? Guide and mentor newer EMT's?
    Every business model teaches you to keep your Customers and Employees #1 and in light of recent events or lack there of ; The opposite is happening. 1 Weeks pay Christmas bonus is null and void when you remove 4 Hrs x 52 weeks per (?) Employees 4 months later. Stepping stone or not, One might want to focus on investing in your HR Support/Training as you grow, as well as to realize there are a bunch of us who are/were Loyal, That shouldn't have been bunched into these mass policy changes.

2. EMT

Current Employee - EMT in Concord, NH
    Current Employee - EMT in Concord, NH

I have been working at LifeLine Ambulance Service

Pros

For the most part the staff you work with out of the stations are pretty good. WE care.
    Trucks are clean and have less than 200,000 on them (at least in NH)
    The big guy in charge of New Hampshire will run around for you and will listen to you

Cons

CORPORATE OFFICE

CEO HIMSELF says on a regular basis that "EMTS are a dime a dozen" so you have to always be careful

HR runs way to many departments himself and multiple states. So get ready for late night stalker calls and minimum pay.

Advice to Management

Start paying us right. I was hired at 10.50 FT with 36 hours a week and a raise promised when brand new wheelies are making 11.00 doesn't make sense. That was almost a year ago.

How about listen to the people that are actually in the field and GET RID OF WMP

ADVICE TO OTHERS
    Care plus might not look as good but they Actually care about their employees.

3. Learnt a lot, took me on with no experience

Current Employee - EMT Basic in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - EMT Basic in Boston, MA

I have been working at LifeLine Ambulance Service

Pros

Plenty of hours and weekly pay

Cons

No orientation, very little training or guidance

Advice to Management

Interview prospective employees more thoroughly and do drug screening

5. Go elsewhere...

Current Employee - EMT Basic in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - EMT Basic in Woburn, MA

I have been working at LifeLine Ambulance Service full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They hire w/o experience. Schedules are super flexible, plenty of OT. That's about where it ends.
    Most coworkers are great and some of the dispatchers are awesome.

Cons

UNDERSTAFFED. Pay is average at best, full time is 36 hours? HR way too busy for you. CEO and management do not care about patients, they care about squeezing in as many calls as they can. No respect for your shift end, they will hold you 2+ hours several times a week. Trucks/equipment in complete disrepair. Often refuse lift assists/appropriate stretcher for bariatric patients. Reviews/raises completely non-existent. Mechanics just do not care about safety or mechanical issues with trucks.

Advice to Management

You could learn a lot from your staff if you'd listen. There's a reason 85% of your staff is less than 6 months old. Also, I'd say a solid 15-20 ambulances need to go to the junk yard. Sometimes I can't get over how bad some of the ambulances are. It's unbelievable.

You're blind and irresponsible growth is starting catch up with you. Get it together.

6. Great opportunity

Current Employee - EMT-B in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - EMT-B in Boston, MA

I have been working at LifeLine Ambulance Service

Pros

Great coworkers and great to get the experience

Cons

Management and Hr needs replacement

Advice to Management

Treat employees like they matter

7. Avoid this ambulance company.

Former Employee - EMT Basic in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - EMT Basic in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at LifeLine Ambulance Service full-time

Pros

$10.50 per hour - (minimum wage is around $9).

Cons

Disgusting cleanliness to stations (especially Santa Ana).
    Co-Workers that are not up to par and are incompetent.
    Poor quality of ambulances.
    Going into work and finding out you don't have a partner.
    Poor communication with dispatch.
    Poor training upon being hired. FTO's do not care to assist you in learning the process.
    Bad hours available for work.
    They give you terrible smelling uniforms upon hire.

Advice to Management

Hire EMT's that can actually do the job well and have the ability to exert a professional physical image as seen by it's outside clientele. Maybe hire employees WITHOUT pony tails?

8. Horrible management

Former Employee - EMT in Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - EMT in Woburn, MA

I worked at LifeLine Ambulance Service full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedules, pay is ok at best. You get promised a base than constantly changed around.

Cons

HR department consists of only one guy named Joe. When you get reprimanded it isn't face to face or even written you get a telephone call. When they terminate your employment they call you out of the blue and refuse to tell you why your getting fired. Patient care reports are done on an Ipad which uses webmedic which isn't user friendly. Constantly being pushed to hurry up and do another call. Don't ever expect to get out on time. Not getting out on time is normal for ems however every other company scheduled you for 40 hours min than over time. They schedule 36 hours as full time shoo they can get for hours after your shift without paying over time. On Saturdays the hr suddenly becomes dispatch and when you swing by he's never wearing a uniform hrs just in a t shirt and pair of gym shorts. Employee morale is horrible and it becomes a cut throat environment. Shift coverage is sent out by email opposed to putting it up for bid on crew scheduler.

Advice to Management

Hire another person for human resources, use crew scheduler for shift bids, and bring back a normal 40 hours with progressive discipline with face to face in private counseling.

9. This company deserves less than one star for sure! (this is for lifeline ma)

Former Employee - EMT-Basic in Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - EMT-Basic in Woburn, MA

I worked at LifeLine Ambulance Service full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Digging deep for some pros of this company i guess would be the fact the only way the unprofessional management communicates is thru email, and a select few of the fellow staff.

Cons

This company is likely to kill people in my personal experiences with ambulances and supplies! The quality of both (though claimed to be state of the art and so on) is questionable at best. Brian has never lost sight of the almighty dollar and employees are "a dime a dozen" as stated by the CEO himself. From day one of employment you are absolutely set up to fail at the company. There is zero form of training except for some dummy downed online joke of a course. Never mind that there is zero form of a drug test or driving test. The odds are for sure in favor that your partner will be some form of a drug addict. It is the goal to have each employee gone before there first review is to be done, not that you will ever get if you do last more than a year anyway. When trying to leave the company i have been told by other companies in the area that i would be better off showing no work history then having lifeline on my resume. The management team at lifeline is all about the profits and could absolutely care less about the patients or employees because there will always be a steady supply of both. There is no chance of growth in the company whatsoever. This company prides itself on the growth in such a short time. Certainly, a sad thing to think about, once you see the inside, since it is all done thru dishonest, cut throat, corner cutting business practices. Don't depend on these reviews to give you insight alone go talk to the employees, others in the field, and don't forget to look into the "issues" they have had that have been publicized. To sum it up, it is a great place to work if you want to do drugs in the field, and not have to actually care about the work you do (the Mcdonalds of ambulance services), but do not expect to get any real experience, or be treated like an appreciated employee. I an sure in response to this you will see Brian comment about his bonuses and the other publicity stunts he performs. And no i personally was not fired, I was hired by a non competing company out of the area, after a tough work search.

Advice to Management

Remember your employees will only represent your company as good as you treat them! Care a little more about the important things (living up to your company "values"), and a little less about the persona and publicity. Certainly, a little less about your personal bank account, when your employees struggle to keep food on the table.

10. This job should only be used as a stepping stone to a better career.

I have been working at LifeLine Ambulance Service

Pros

If you are looking for a job where you don't have to use your brain, this is it. The most apt description of this job would be to go where you are told, when you are told, be cheery and cordial, and create a patient/customer centric ambulance/chair car environment. You will however get paid better here than at the other local services, especially if you also carry Massachusetts certification as an EMT. This is a great way to get patient care hours under your belt for grad school if you can stand it long enough to accumulate them.

Cons

This is not a job for expanding your mind. Punishment in this company occurs in a group manner. We have come to term the emails (because that is how everything is done here) as "group spank" emails. There is no incentive to actually be better with these punishments if you are already a good employees, in fact if you are already a good employee you will be totally screwed. Don't ever expect to be out of your shift on time, it's not likely. Lunch? What's lunch? My personal favorite - don't do the paperwork just go because there's a lot more runs to do. In addition the logistical knowledge of NH is "ok" at best. If you want to use your skills as an EMT-I/A don't bother looking here because that certification is not recognized. You will be a basic for all intensive purposes. Additionally if you work full time in Mass you have the option of cashing out vacation time, but not if you work full time in NH... They will not pay for you to recert. They will require things of you such as DOT cards and physicals which they will refuse to pay for. If you don't work at one of the main bases good luck getting the supplies you ask for, it's like pulling teeth. Oh and don't bother reminding the mechanic down in Woburn that your truck needs an oil change based on the mileage number they specifically told you to write on the sticker because the result is that they request the base supervisors just remove the stickers from all the vehicles so they won't receive anymore emails from people about it. I know personally that we have put about 12000 miles on our truck since it's last oil change bc I took it to get it, but don't say that either because you'll just get a nasty email saying that's wrong... Ok. So overall yes it's better than some and I wouldn't say the grass is greener anywhere else in the private ambulance company world, but it's not so fabulous here either.

Advice to Management

Focus more of the micromanaging on the middle management. Their profit shares mentality endangers the livelihood of those beneath them. I know you attempt at times to make sure we all feel valued, but then you turn around and tell people that those of their occupation are a dime a dozen. I have to say the day to day reflects the latter.

A++ Company to be a work for and be a part of, its an honor for me!!!

Current Employee - Employee in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Employee in Woburn, MA

I have been working at LifeLine Ambulance Service full-time (more than a year)

Pros

In this day and age in the business world we are all just numbers, at Life Line I feel they APPRECIATE all the employees, no matter your position. Its obvious to see when you get treated with the utmost respect and gratitude that trickles down from the President & CEO, senior & upper management to the dispatch team, the heart of the operation. I witness this each and everyday I report for duty! My employment at Life Line at the time was a new beginning for me, I have been fortunate to gain employment with a company that I BELIEVE in, and hopefully end my working career with. My wish to all; find the good in what you pursue, Life is short, be happy!

Cons

The Uniform is kind of hot in the summer, besides that can not really think of a con!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing, it works!