LifeLine Ambulance Service

Non Biased Review of Lifeline MA

Former Employee - EMT
    Former Employee - EMT

I worked at LifeLine Ambulance Service full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Will Hire with no Experience
    - All Available resources at your fingertips
    -Pay is SLIGHTLY higher than most private companies
    -If you fly under the radar and do your job, Your left alone
    -New trucks being bought and circulated into the field
    -Very flexible schedules
    -New technology utilized
    -Will get you the XP to move on to bigger and better opportunities if your not an idiot.

Cons

-The HR "Department" is struggling with workload,Requests, Communication, & issues
    -Reviews and Raises that were promised to many during hiring have yet to come (Some many months past)
    -Extremely Belittling middle management & Support staff (ie: Operations,Clinical, Mechanics, IT, )
    -A lot of folks seemed to have lost PTO and Sick time due to a recent & sudden policy change, some with Families who were working hard to earn after the new review process was announced (Got skipped over and told to wait until next review in a year, While select few complained and got it) Seems like Fuzzy math now with no real good way of knowing what you have earned other than an email request.
    -Company has decided to drop those with less seniority to 36 hours FT under the mask "Better for the employee"so when you get held over they don't have to pay overtime plus saving 4 hrs x hundreds of employees = Big Company savings.
    - "Its not what you know,but who you know" Advancement opportunities & Favoritism to completely inept unqualified base supervisors & Marketing "managers"
    -Overtime is now Favored to those working 36 hours, not those of us working 40 (Big company savings)
    - Lifeline is experiencing some growing pains being a young company and is unknowingly (or not) burning lots of Loyal hardworking employees in the process.

We get it, Stirring the pot, new blood, Cheaper hiring pay...... We cant fault you for growing your American dream, But is it so bad to have Loyal long term employees? those who show up EVERY SHIFT, Don't complain and make you money? Guide and mentor newer EMT's?
    Every business model teaches you to keep your Customers and Employees #1 and in light of recent events or lack there of ; The opposite is happening. 1 Weeks pay Christmas bonus is null and void when you remove 4 Hrs x 52 weeks per (?) Employees 4 months later. Stepping stone or not, One might want to focus on investing in your HR Support/Training as you grow, as well as to realize there are a bunch of us who are/were Loyal, That shouldn't have been bunched into these mass policy changes.

This company deserves less than one star for sure! (this is for lifeline ma)

I worked at LifeLine Ambulance Service full-time for more than a year

Pros

Digging deep for some pros of this company i guess would be the fact the only way the unprofessional management communicates is thru email, and a select few of the fellow staff.

Cons

This company is likely to kill people in my personal experiences with ambulances and supplies! The quality of both (though claimed to be state of the art and so on) is questionable at best. Brian has never lost sight of the almighty dollar and employees are "a dime a dozen" as stated by the CEO himself. From day one of employment you are absolutely set up to fail at the company. There is zero form of training except for some dummy downed online joke of a course. Never mind that there is zero form of a drug test or driving test. The odds are for sure in favor that your partner will be some form of a drug addict. It is the goal to have each employee gone before there first review is to be done, not that you will ever get if you do last more than a year anyway. When trying to leave the company i have been told by other companies in the area that i would be better off showing no work history then having lifeline on my resume. The management team at lifeline is all about the profits and could absolutely care less about the patients or employees because there will always be a steady supply of both. There is no chance of growth in the company whatsoever. This company prides itself on the growth in such a short time. Certainly, a sad thing to think about, once you see the inside, since it is all done thru dishonest, cut throat, corner cutting business practices. Don't depend on these reviews to give you insight alone go talk to the employees, others in the field, and don't forget to look into the "issues" they have had that have been publicized. To sum it up, it is a great place to work if you want to do drugs in the field, and not have to actually care about the work you do (the Mcdonalds of ambulance services), but do not expect to get any real experience, or be treated like an appreciated employee. I an sure in response to this you will see Brian comment about his bonuses and the other publicity stunts he performs. And no i personally was not fired, I was hired by a non competing company out of the area, after a tough work search.

Remember your employees will only represent your company as good as you treat them! Care a little more about the important things (living up to your company "values"), and a little less about the persona and publicity. Certainly, a little less about your personal bank account, when your employees struggle to keep food on the table.

I hated life there

I worked at LifeLine Ambulance Service full-time for less than a year

Pros

There aren't any. This place is horrible

Cons

There's nothing good about this place.

Listen to your employees

Mar 17, 2014President & CEO

Unfortunately, the EMT job is not for everyone; it takes a special kind of individual to want to help others in their time of need. If I have one out of 325 employees write a review of this nature ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This job should only be used as a stepping stone to a better career.

I have been working at LifeLine Ambulance Service

Pros

If you are looking for a job where you don't have to use your brain, this is it. The most apt description of this job would be to go where you are told, when you are told, be cheery and cordial, and create a patient/customer centric ambulance/chair car environment. You will however get paid better here than at the other local services, especially if you also carry Massachusetts certification as an EMT. This is a great way to get patient care hours under your belt for grad school if you can stand it long enough to accumulate them.

Cons

This is not a job for expanding your mind. Punishment in this company occurs in a group manner. We have come to term the emails (because that is how everything is done here) as "group spank" emails. There is no incentive to actually be better with these punishments if you are already a good employees, in fact if you are already a good employee you will be totally screwed. Don't ever expect to be out of your shift on time, it's not likely. Lunch? What's lunch? My personal favorite - don't do the paperwork just go because there's a lot more runs to do. In addition the logistical knowledge of NH is "ok" at best. If you want to use your skills as an EMT-I/A don't bother looking here because that certification is not recognized. You will be a basic for all intensive purposes. Additionally if you work full time in Mass you have the option of cashing out vacation time, but not if you work full time in NH... They will not pay for you to recert. They will require things of you such as DOT cards and physicals which they will refuse to pay for. If you don't work at one of the main bases good luck getting the supplies you ask for, it's like pulling teeth. Oh and don't bother reminding the mechanic down in Woburn that your truck needs an oil change based on the mileage number they specifically told you to write on the sticker because the result is that they request the base supervisors just remove the stickers from all the vehicles so they won't receive anymore emails from people about it. I know personally that we have put about 12000 miles on our truck since it's last oil change bc I took it to get it, but don't say that either because you'll just get a nasty email saying that's wrong... Ok. So overall yes it's better than some and I wouldn't say the grass is greener anywhere else in the private ambulance company world, but it's not so fabulous here either.

Focus more of the micromanaging on the middle management. Their profit shares mentality endangers the livelihood of those beneath them. I know you attempt at times to make sure we all feel valued, but then you turn around and tell people that those of their occupation are a dime a dozen. I have to say the day to day reflects the latter.

A++ Company to be a work for and be a part of, its an honor for me!!!

Current Employee - Employee  in  Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Employee in Woburn, MA

I have been working at LifeLine Ambulance Service full-time for more than a year

Pros

In this day and age in the business world we are all just numbers, at Life Line I feel they APPRECIATE all the employees, no matter your position. Its obvious to see when you get treated with the utmost respect and gratitude that trickles down from the President & CEO, senior & upper management to the dispatch team, the heart of the operation. I witness this each and everyday I report for duty! My employment at Life Line at the time was a new beginning for me, I have been fortunate to gain employment with a company that I BELIEVE in, and hopefully end my working career with. My wish to all; find the good in what you pursue, Life is short, be happy!

Cons

The Uniform is kind of hot in the summer, besides that can not really think of a con!

Keep doing what your doing, it works!

I worked at Lifeline Ambulance, would ever go back, would never recommend this company. The Owners are Self indulgent.

I worked at LifeLine Ambulance Service full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible work schedule if in school

Cons

They do not do CORI Checks, They do not do drug test or random drug and alcohol testing. They do not check driving records, does not check past employment with other companies. (All very concerning)
    If you have a concern that you address with the owner/management team regarding equipment, training, or a co-worker, all is brushed under the carpet and does not get addressed in the proper professional manner that you would expect. What happens is you are the one that is called out and usually let go (This did not happen to me, but witnessed this on several occasions)
    Several Female employees filed complaints of sexual harassment, by co-workers (Couple of paramedics) they had been told that they were over reacting and nothing was done. oh that is right, nothing will be done to a paramedic as far as being reprimanded because Lifeline has a difficult time keeping Medics. (I do know this as a fact)
    Nothing is worse than working for a company (Owners and Upper Management) that feels that they are above the law.. I will not take away that they do a lot of community work, this is not for the community this is for the benefit of themselves.
    I am not sure how they continue to run this company without OEMS constantly at there door or investigating complaints that have been made directly to them. Makes you wonder who is getting paid to look the other way.
    Am I bitter, no I am not, I am concerned for friends and previous co-workers that still work at the company.
    Before you decide to work at the company, do your homework on the Owners and upper management and ask yourself would you want to work for a company that has absolutely NO values.

Try to be honest, not only with yourselves but with each other and most of all the public. Whose best interest do you have at heart? That is a silly question because you are a team of heartless soles. Very sad.
    I can walk away from this company without guilt " I know my patient care and assessment was always my one and only priority. To bad that is not the companies.. "Did hear management make a comment that they did not care about patient care but only about making money"

Jan 25, 2014President & CEO

As with any company, there are policies, procedures and clinical standards that must be adhered to by all employees. In 7 short years LifeLine has grown to a fleet of 140 vehicles, 14 satellite ... More

Just for experience

I have been working at LifeLine Ambulance Service

Pros

Flexible with school and personal life

Cons

The company focuses on profit primarily and does not promote positive environment for employee to thrive

Need to reconstruct the company to focus on investment in employee training.

Jan 25, 2014President & CEO

Not sure if this from an employee of LifeLine from MA & NH; or another LifeLine throughout the US; however all our employees at LifeLine in MA & NH go through a rigorous on line and practical ... More

It's what you make it

Current Employee - EMT  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - EMT in Chicago, IL

I have been working at LifeLine Ambulance Service

Pros

Driving around without boss in your face and the down time can be nice on certain days

Cons

Management is horrible and they don't care about you unless you are a medic

Promote growth within the company

This review is from is LifeLine of Chicago, not the LifeLine from MA and NH;

Executive Assistant

Current Employee - Executive Assistant  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at LifeLine Ambulance Service

Pros

Working for something you believe in is always good. This company helps those most in need and employees know the good they are doing.

Cons

Limited chances of advancement. Top heavy management style and focus on bottom dollar makes employees feel undervalued. Need to look elsewhere.

Value your employees. You may just learn something from them. Try expanding scope of employee responsibilities. Variety is good for everyone.

this review is from a LifeLine in Washington DC

Worked for LifeLine Ambulance Service? Contribute to the Community!