LifeStation

Updated Jun 26, 2014

Stanley Oppenheim

Great experience so far

Union, NJ

ProsI really love the environment; although it is corporate there is a family feel. I love the fact that they promote within and that the training is so in depth. The benefits are the best and managers (from my experience) ask for feedback which is a great thing. Overall the feel is very collaborative.

ConsPay, and departments can feel very disconnected sometimes like a hierarchy

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue doing what you're doing; I'm very happy so far.

Growing Company

Union, NJ

ProsBeautiful facility in Union, NJ. The best part about this company is the mission. All of the employees truly play an important role in helping to save lives. Company is growing and is open to feedback from employees. They provide very thorough training and expect a great deal of commitment from the employees. The benefits are exceptional and extremely affordable. The compensation is average, with a great performance review process allowing employees to get recognized for a job well done.

ConsThe company has had some "growing pains" but still tries to put the needs of their employees and business first. More formal systems and additional opportunities for training would be helpful. The management team would benefit from being more empowered by senior management. The culture and turnover is a result of employees who are not a fit for this company. Employees who strive to perform and succeed will surely do so here!

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower your middle management team to make decisions and help to strengthen the structure of the company. Set up more internal management trainee programs to allow entry-level employees long term development plans.

Great Company!

ProsState of the art facility, clean and organized. HR is exceptional. Management looks to promote individuals from within and looks for every opportunity for upstanding employees to succeed, which is not usual for a company. The environment is friendly, corporate and most working here are very passionate and have longevity here. There is no micro managing amongst managers. Great work/life balance. Benefits are outstanding, even with the healthcare reform rollout.

I've worked at several other companies and the professionalism, eye for detail and work/life balance is the best I've experienced.

ConsLocation is convenient, but not a desirable location.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is great. They really have an eye for the bigger picture and value their employees more than anyone reviewing here seems to think.

Flag Review
    LifeStation Human Resources responded to this review Apr 28, 2014 EditDelete
    We appreciate your support and comments. The company continues to work hard to support the growth and development of our employees and business.
  • We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A disaster of epic proportions.

Union, NJ

ProsSome nice employees there to commiserate with. Easy commute if one lives in Essex County. Personally, however, I would never advise anyone I cared for to work here.

ConsLifeStation might as well be called DeathSentence. The main cons are:

- MGMT (unqualified)
    - High turnover (no surprise)
    - Structure (there is none)
    - Co. culture (high school)

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck.

Flag Review
    LifeStation Human Resources responded to this review Apr 28, 2014 EditDelete
    We are sorry to read the content of your review. If you are still a current employee, we encourage you to seek out the support of Human Resources or another member of management to address your ... More

Awful place to work.....avoid like the plague!

(Current Employee)
    Union, NJ

ProsThe location is easily accessible from Parkway South. The office building is quite nice.

ConsEverything else. Place is mismanaged and most of the staff is miserable, or at the very least, very unhappy. Very unorganized. HR tries to paint a nice picture, but when you settle into your role you quickly realize what you've gotten yourself into, and it's not something positive. Most EE's are seeking better employment opportunities. If LifeStation tries to recruit you, RUN in the other direction, seriously. Within three months of working here, you will be depressed and will want to quit.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Eh.

Call Center Representative (Former Employee)
    Union, NJ

Pros- Weekly pay and benefits
    - Nice break rooms and smoking area
    - Training is looooooong
    - Easy commute in car or public transit
    - Nice perks (gift cards, bbq's, parties, etc.)
    - Some employees are friendly and helpful
    - High call volume almost all of the time

ConsIt was like high school all over again, but not in a good way. And like a previous person posted, if you show any signs of individuality, you get snuffed out of the door.

- Supervisors/Leads lack basic managerial/inter-personal skills

** A "lead" AND "trainer" told me to handle an alarm a certain way, and the shift "supervisor" chewed me out (not the lead or trainer who have 'yrs of experience') because it was handled wrong**

- I repeat, HORRIBLE Management.
    - Typical office politics and favoritism
    - Training is looooooong and dull, until you get on the floor for hands-on . .
    - But even then you're trained by employees who don't know how to properly train people
    - Way too many loop holes in the system
    - HIGH turnover rate. I'd say 3 out of 5 people don't even make it out of training

Basically, breathe the wrong way, look at a supervisor the wrong way, be yourself and you're fired.

Be wary of your attire. It is "business professional" to some, but they'll allow fish nets and mini-skirts.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a management team that knows the business and cares about the business, not their personal "gains" which are not even business related

Extremely Short

Dispatcher (Former Employee)
    Union, NJ

ProsState of the art building and equipment.

ConsDoes not allow you to complete six week training.

Advice to Senior ManagementUtilize the facility's training room before sending new employees out to do a job they are not fully equipped to handle.

Growth, Change, and Opportunity

ProsRoom to grow, excellent health benefits and 401K, job security, beautiful new facility.

ConsAlthough I understand the need for a business professional dress code at this type of company, it would be nice to have some casual dress days.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to communicate and listen to the employees. The company continues to grow and make progress. All of the employees are sharing in the success.

Stay Away

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Union, NJ

ProsHealth Insurance, break rooms, out door patio, paid holidays if you work a holiday you get double time and a half.

ConsTraining program is pathetic, Two weeks of a school like atmosphere where they test you weekly. They put you with people that have been working in the company for less then 6 months for on the job training. They constantly remind you that you don't have the job yet through the month long training. They force you to drink your drinks out of drink containers. A water bottle they provide you when you start and a coffee mug you can buy. You can only have water in the clear bottle soda or Mio or any kind of juice must be in the coffee mug. The people that have been there for any amount of time try to push their seniority on you. I had a janitor tell one girl in my group that he could "get her in trouble and yell at her" for putting iced coffee in the water bottle. In the interview they lie to you and tell you that you would get one weekend day off and another day and they say you will get a dollar raise after 90 days. You don't, you get .50 or .60 if you're lucky. they start you at 13 an hour and tell you how stressful and important the job is but the pay does not reflect it. Supervisors that can't do anything without the manager holding their hand. They were promoted without having the skills needed to manage or supervise.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf the job is so important and so stressful then the pay should reflect it I've gotten paid more starting as a receptionist then the starting pay there. The job is very important it is a matter of life and death the pay should reflect that. If the information is incomplete or not correct it could be someones life and you want people to be responsible for that for 13 dollars an hour? I could see training being paid like that since you have a month of training but once you start on the floor full time the pay should go up. Stop promoting people that have no idea how to manage. Its like having your office run by High School kids. If you don't fit in your out. Stop your high turn over rate by hiring people that know what they're doing and pay them accordingly

For Followers not Leaders

Customer Service + Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsWeekly Pay. Good Commission. Nice Building & Facility

ConsAs usual with American Companies; weak, impersonal, unskilled, and unprofessional management. Sales Department is the typical top down dictatorial environment. This is not a place for creative minded or fluid leader personalities.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo Advice. This is a top down environment. There is no management staff that is a leader. The culture reflect the paradigm of the company's leaders.

Worked for LifeStation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at LifeStation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for LifeStation CEO Stanley Oppenheim. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by LifeStation employees.