LifeStation Reviews

2.8
Stanley Oppenheim

1. Great Company, Easy To Excel if You Put Yourself Out There

Current Employee - Dispatcher in Union, NJ

I have been working at LifeStation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Started off with a six-week training (3 weeks of initial training, and 3 of OJT). When they set you off on your own there's always someone near you to answer your questions, and even take over calls if necessary. Call volume is up and down, one day you can spend all day talking to your neighbor (quietly of course) and another you'll be too busy and forget to take a break. Fairly easy to move up if you do what you're supposed to do and make yourself known (the right ways). People that I've seen leave so far have either found better opportunities, or just don't do what they're told to. The job is easy, you just have to pay attention and do it.

Cons

Pay is fairly low for the job and reviews after a while become increasingly irregular. Also health insurance for families as mentioned previously is unhelpful if you are a single parent. Also the ladder up which to get information from is unclear, I know people who constantly skip Team Leads and go straight to Supervisors and vice versa. Just kind of confusing for new employees.

Advice to Management

Communicate. From Leads to General Manager, there has to be some kind of clear idea of what's going on. Supervisors especially, try to step off the podium and get to know your underlings. Maybe then they'd be more willing to talk to you about certain issues.

2. Good , Needs Improvement - Emergency Dispatcher

Former Employee - Dispatcher in Union, NJ
    Former Employee - Dispatcher in Union, NJ

I worked at LifeStation

Pros

- Pay is fair - MOST employees are nice & willing to help you - Most requests are honored - Fun environment , never really a bad day

Cons

- Favortism - Upon hiring they tell you , you get one weekend day off which is false , they tell you ot is easy to transition to an accomodatable shift which is false there is an extensive waiting list - Between training and OTJ and actually succeeding into the dispatcher role alot of rules change. You learn things one way and then are expected to do them totally different after "certification" - Company is not understanding , if you have an emergency that has official documentation they do not count it as an excused absence they put it against your attendance

Advice to Management

- Be a little more understanding to employee outside priorities. - Train everyone to deliver the same methods of what is to be done and what is expected

Pays the bills

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Union, NJ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Union, NJ

I worked at LifeStation full-time

Pros

clean facility coffee machine in break rooms spacious parking lot weekly pay and paid training friendly co-workers who are willing to help

Cons

very high turn over rate low company morale low hourly pay little growth or advancement constantly being micro-managed poor management skills protocols are always changing lack of accurate communication between supervisors and reps departments feel very disconnected (hierarchy)

Advice to Management

hire additional quality assurance personal and more qualified management

5. Warm culture; company works hard to take care of its customers

Current Employee - Monitoring Center Dispatcher in Union, NJ
    Current Employee - Monitoring Center Dispatcher in Union, NJ

I have been working at LifeStation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Impressive top quality benefits, which are very affordable. I'm inspired by the company's mission of taking care of seniors. Work/life balance is good for a company with such growth. -smart, fun colleagues -product saves lives and customers are very appreciative -managers open to employees who have ambition. Very easy to climb the ladder if you make an effort.

Cons

It's a growing company. That's not necessarily a con, but each year the company has to evolve and improve processes/departments that sometimes strain due to growth and added employees. Still, the pros more than outweigh any cons. I'm proud to work at this amazing company.

Advice to Management

Company is doing well and growing. More team building events like they have been doing recently...help build friendships with more employees.

6. Great experience so far

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Union, NJ

I have been working at LifeStation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really love the environment; although it is corporate there is a family feel. I love the fact that they promote within and that the training is so in depth. The benefits are the best and managers (from my experience) ask for feedback which is a great thing. Overall the feel is very collaborative.

Cons

Pay, and departments can feel very disconnected sometimes like a hierarchy

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you're doing; I'm very happy so far.

Dispatcher

Current Employee - Dispatcher in Union, NJ

I have been working at LifeStation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Its full time and permanent

Cons

The pay is ridiculously low and the health insurance is ridiculously high. They only have either single or family plans. You would need to be married with 15 kids to make the dollar amount make sense. When you only make about $400 a week, paying over $100 a week for a family plan is a huge stretch. They do not offer a single parent plan. Why not?

Growing Company

I have been working at LifeStation full-time

Pros

Beautiful facility in Union, NJ. The best part about this company is the mission. All of the employees truly play an important role in helping to save lives. Company is growing and is open to feedback from employees. They provide very thorough training and expect a great deal of commitment from the employees. The benefits are exceptional and extremely affordable. The compensation is average, with a great performance review process allowing employees to get recognized for a job well done.

Cons

The company has had some "growing pains" but still tries to put the needs of their employees and business first. More formal systems and additional opportunities for training would be helpful. The management team would benefit from being more empowered by senior management. The culture and turnover is a result of employees who are not a fit for this company. Employees who strive to perform and succeed will surely do so here!

Advice to Management

Empower your middle management team to make decisions and help to strengthen the structure of the company. Set up more internal management trainee programs to allow entry-level employees long term development plans.

Great Company!

I have been working at LifeStation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

State of the art facility, clean and organized. HR is exceptional. Management looks to promote individuals from within and looks for every opportunity for upstanding employees to succeed, which is not usual for a company. The environment is friendly, corporate and most working here are very passionate and have longevity here. There is no micro managing amongst managers. Great work/life balance. Benefits are outstanding, even with the healthcare reform rollout. I've worked at several other companies and the professionalism, eye for detail and work/life balance is the best I've experienced.

Cons

Location is convenient, but not a desirable location.

Advice to Management

Management is great. They really have an eye for the bigger picture and value their employees more than anyone reviewing here seems to think.

LifeStation Response

Apr 28, 2014 – Human Resources

We appreciate your support and comments. The company continues to work hard to support the growth and development of our employees and business.

A disaster of epic proportions.

I have been working at LifeStation full-time

Pros

Some nice employees there to commiserate with. Easy commute if one lives in Essex County. Personally, however, I would never advise anyone I cared for to work here.

Cons

LifeStation might as well be called DeathSentence. The main cons are: - MGMT (unqualified) - High turnover (no surprise) - Structure (there is none) - Co. culture (high school)

Advice to Management

Good luck.

LifeStation Response

Apr 28, 2014 – Human Resources

We are sorry to read the content of your review. If you are still a current employee, we encourage you to seek out the support of Human Resources or another member of management to address your ... More

Eh.

Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Union, NJ
    Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Union, NJ

I worked at LifeStation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Weekly pay and benefits - Nice break rooms and smoking area - Training is looooooong - Easy commute in car or public transit - Nice perks (gift cards, bbq's, parties, etc.) - Some employees are friendly and helpful - High call volume almost all of the time

Cons

It was like high school all over again, but not in a good way. And like a previous person posted, if you show any signs of individuality, you get snuffed out of the door. - Supervisors/Leads lack basic managerial/inter-personal skills ** A "lead" AND "trainer" told me to handle an alarm a certain way, and the shift "supervisor" chewed me out (not the lead or trainer who have 'yrs of experience') because it was handled wrong** - I repeat, HORRIBLE Management. - Typical office politics and favoritism - Training is looooooong and dull, until you get on the floor for hands-on . . - But even then you're trained by employees who don't know how to properly train people - Way too many loop holes in the system - HIGH turnover rate. I'd say 3 out of 5 people don't even make it out of training Basically, breathe the wrong way, look at a supervisor the wrong way, be yourself and you're fired. Be wary of your attire. It is "business professional" to some, but they'll allow fish nets and mini-skirts.

Advice to Management

Hire a management team that knows the business and cares about the business, not their personal "gains" which are not even business related

RSS Feed </> Embed