LifeWay Christian Resources

LifeWay Christian Resources Reviews in Nashville, TN

Updated Jun 29, 2014

Thom S. Rainer

26 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Inspiring mission and purpose.

Human Resources (Current Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsLifeWay is currently undergoing a transformation which is striving to find balance between growth of the business with the mission - Providing Biblical Solutions for Life. It is amazing when you realize that that the resources and tools we provide have an eternal impact.

ConsThere is an overall challenge of ensuring we are focused on the mission of the organization while also ensuring we are good stewards of the financial resources that are required to fulfill the mission.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue working to break down silos, instilling a sense of urgency and creating an inclusive environment. Look for opportunities to eliminate the old regimented culture that let policies make too many decisions. There still seems to be too much red tape and bureaucracy that gets in the way of doing the right thing. A thought might be to hold a contest asking employees to submit ideas for silo busting and policies and then empower employees to figure out how to bring their ideas to life.

Flag Review
    LifeWay Christian Resources Recruiting Coordinator responded to this review Jul 9, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

It is a wonderful Christian organization as well as work place.

Department Assistant (Current Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsI love LifeWay's mission statement. Our mission is to help and to serve. LifeWay is not only a business, it is a ministry. Working at LifeWay helps you to know that what you do matters and that you're making a difference.

ConsI can't think of any.

Advice to Senior ManagementPray for each other and for LifeWay that others will see and hear Christ in all that we say and do.

Flag Review
    LifeWay Christian Resources Recruiting Coordinator responded to this review Jun 30, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Please know your feedback is very important to us and will be evaluated accordingly.

I have grown so much professionally and personally while building some long-lasting relationships.

Anonymous (Current Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsIt is a great Christian environment. I really appreciate starting our meetings with prayer. I have built many long-lasting friendships with co-workers. Many great benefits provided.

ConsThere are lots of changes going on throughout the company that it is sometimes hard to keep up with everything. At times, it feels like we are told how things are going to be rather than leadership getting our input prior to making changes that will impact us.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen making changes, consider including people in meetings that those changes will impact. It feels like we are continually told what we aren't doing right or what we need to improve on. It would be nice to hear what the company appreciates about the employees and their work.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Solid Company

Human Resources Staff Member (Current Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsA Christian company that clearly communicates to employees that providing Biblical solutions for life is the purpose of it's existence. Is very people oriented in putting true effort toward taking care of customers and employees. In general have a community of authentic and agreeable employees.

ConsWhile focusing on the big picture of LifeWay's mission is important to each employee's motivation to work here, it can be misinterpreted that LifeWay doesn't operate like a business that needs to make savvy choices to continue doing business.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on even more clear communication within each division and to all employees as a whole. The greater each employee's understanding of the company as a whole and their role in it, the greater their ownership and commitment.

Flag Review
    LifeWay Christian Resources Recruiting Coordinator responded to this review Jun 25, 2014 EditDelete

I am thankful to work at LifeWay.

Nashville, TN

ProsOverall, I believe LifeWay is a company with Christian values and we have great benefits! There are many good people working here! Meetings are opened with prayer. Some pros are the free parking downtown, paid sick time & vacation, good medical insurance, a cafe on site, employee discounts, and strong friendships made! Co-workers generally care about you & your family, as family is highly valued. (Plus, it’s in a terrific location downtown within walking distance of many fun lunch spots!)
    I have learned so much from my time working here at LifeWay. I’ve had excellent managers who have cared and taught me so much. I am thankful to God for my job at LifeWay!

ConsGenerally, there is a big chasm between managers/leadership and support staff. I see the "higher-ups" get paid the big bucks while the support staff employees are paid at a low rate, and barely any cost-of-living raise each year. This is a big deal! Salary concerns, and fair & decent pay for my loyalty, hard work, experience, and knowledge, are the reasons I personally am often tempted to look for employment elsewhere. Also, I have seen many cases of new hires/promotions all due to “who you know.” I think the pros and cons of working at LifeWay vary greatly by which division one is in. Hardly any contact with upper management, just direct manager.

Great Ministry

Associate (Current Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsWonderful people to work with. Good benefit options. Different job opportunities throughout the organization. Christ-centered doing Kingdom work.

ConsStill operating on a business model, so layoffs, budget cuts, etc. are still a factor. Forced change is often rapid and not communicated well. Other aspects are very slow to change and hinder our ability to overcome an outdated image.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need someone in charge of marketing/branding from the top down - to unify branding across the organization. We need less separation between the individual contributors and management at all levels.

"Ministry focus with business smarts; solid company to work for!"

General Manager (Current Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsGreat people to work with at LifeWay; there is an atmosphere of continuous improvement; benefits are competitive. Collaboration and healthy risk taking are encouraged. People love the everyday casual dress at LifeWay. A place where you can blend your faith and work - it's ok to pray and you get paid to attend a chapel service with quality music and speakers 2x's a month. Also offer up to 5 additional days for time-off for mission trips; and offer adoption benefits.

ConsOffice from home, more flexible work arrangements would be a good next step. Sometimes there are inherent limitations in serving as a denominational publisher, while trying to serve the larger Christian retail community.

Flag Review
    We would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Please know your feedback is very important to us and will be evaluated accordingly.

Best Employer in Nashville!!!!

Nashville, TN

ProsThe work you do for LifeWay helps change the lives of millions of people. LifeWay employees value one another. When you join LifeWay you gain an extended family. Wonderful place to work.

ConsNo cons to list at this time.

Flag Review
    LifeWay Christian Resources Recruiting Coordinator responded to this review Jun 17, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for taking the time to write your review about LifeWay. Your feedback is important to us.

Awesome company, awesome people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Nashville, TN

Prosgreat people that work there.
    great work/life balance.
    good benefits.

Consmany layoffs that affect morale.
    no employee development for good employees - or movement amongst different departments or divisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate more of a team environment.
    hold on to star employees/promote.
    focus more on ministry environment at nashville offices.

Flag Review

A great place to build a long-term career in satisfying work, with great people, great history.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsIncredible benefits. Strength of working with like-minded people with the same purpose and passions. Long history of solid leadership, product line, and services. Very good recent improvements in breaking into new media and emerging technologies. Extras that are hard to explain without speaking directly with those who work there.

ConsLots of downsizing the past few years. Still somewhat of a sense that certain areas are resistant to change. Takes a long time to get new projects going sometimes. The voice of one person can easily get lost in the crowd. Questionable alignments with certain individuals and groups that seem to lie outside their mission and vision statements.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening to your employees. Assure them you're there to help them, not the other way around. Take their concerns seriously.

Worked for LifeWay Christian Resources? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at LifeWay Christian Resources reviews and ratings in Nashville, TN — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for LifeWay Christian Resources CEO Thom S. Rainer. All 26 reviews posted anonymously by LifeWay Christian Resources employees.