LifeWay Christian Resources

Updated August 19, 2014
Updated August 19, 2014

3.9

Thom S. Rainer

Pros
  • Great people to work with at LifeWay; there is an atmosphere of continuous improvement; benefits are competitive (in 8 reviews)

• Good benefits, great co-workers, nice, safe facility (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, raises are few and far between (in 8 reviews)

• Upper management is steering this ship in the wrong direction (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Lots of good people, but leadership is struggling.

Former Employee - Retail Management
    Former Employee - Retail Management

Pros

Company has a lot of good people; benefits are competitive; stores are closed on Sundays; core company values are strong. Sells solid products that are beneficial to customers.

Cons

Salaries are on the low end and raises are hard to come by; losing it's uniqueness - becoming more and more like regular retail, i.e. it's all about the numbers; leadership struggling to keep up with technology and changing retail environment; new retail leadership lacks the spiritual leadership of the previous leaders that built the company.

Remember that there is more value in your employees than the numbers they generate. Remember what led to the company's success - good business practices and strong, spiritual leadership. The latter seems to be lacking with the new retail leadership team. Don't get so caught up in trying to attract new customers that you alienate your the people and churches that made you successful. Remember that while accountability is necessary and important, constant reporting can become an end to itself and use up valuable time and energy.

Aug 13, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for providing your feedback and advice. Our employees help make the mission of LifeWay possible as we seek to provide biblical solutions for life. We thank you for your time to share with ... More

Awesome retail ministry!

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Midlothian, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Midlothian, VA

Pros

1. Chance to work retail and minister to the community.
    2. Relationships are life-long with both fellow employees and visiting guests.
    3. A chance to help Christians with products that aid their own personal, spiritual growth and these same products are excellent for sharing with others.

Cons

1. Minimum wage.
    2. Odd hours.
    3. Few positions offering full-time hours.

Aug 21, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to hear that you enjoy the work that you do daily at our retail store. We do understand there are challenges with limited work hours, unfortunately many ... More

It was a great place to work at!

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

Pros

I love my co workers and the environment. Its a great place to grow and help people along the way too. I learned a lot of valuable thing that I will use in future jobs. They run a tight ship for the most part which is good for your protection.

Cons

It can be dull at times. They can have better POS systems because the current ones have a lot of problems and slow the checking out process a lot. There are no raises of reviews which is a bummer.

Pay more attention to your employees and their needs and worry less about capture rates.

Aug 14, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for your honest feedback. We are glad that you are part of the LifeWay family and enjoy your work environment. We appreciate the work you do to continue to serve customers despite the ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great opportunity

Pros

Very family oriented great environment to work in.

Cons

There where no cons for working for this company.

Aug 11, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for taking time to leave your feedback. Hope you have a wonderful day.

Great experience in my first retail position

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

Lifeway has similar morals and beliefs to my own. Co-workers and management worked well together and bonded. I was able to help so many customers that blessed me in return. Great work environment. I've kept in touch with a few of my co-workers even though it's been a while since we worked together. If you like to help others, this is a great place to do so.

Cons

Vacation Bible School season is really tough. Not much time off or many breaks when things got busy. Sometimes communication could have been better.

Aug 11, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

We thank you for your feedback. We value your concerns and will share that information with our retail team. Have a wonderful day.

A friendly workplace and great experience overall.

Current Employee - FUGE Camps Financial  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - FUGE Camps Financial in Nashville, TN

Pros

I came to LifeWay for a summer internship, and it has been informative experience and insightful look into the company's Christian culture. The leadership at LifeWay really stresses what is the heart of this company, which to be a ministry to churches and believers. It is to strive to create "Biblical solutions for life," and I am proud to be a part of company with that vision.

Cons

LifeWay can sometimes feel like it is divided strictly between the office work/business side of the company and the outer face of church partnerships in Christian ministry. It can feel like there is the "work work," and then the "spiritual work."

Reach out to lower-level employees personally more often. There seems to be a barrier where the top leadership is vastly "above" the others, with their publications and videos on display for all the visitors and other employees. I feel like it creates a gap which in my opinion does not reflect the Biblical description of Christian leadership found in verses such as the second half of Philippians 2:3.

Jul 31, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback and for the value that you add to LifeWay. We appreciate your suggestions and will share your thoughts with our leadership team.

Micro-managing out of control

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Great ministry opportunities with store staff and customers. Promotions are getting better and gift selection is getting stronger, better quality items.

Cons

Micro managed to death. Constantly having to justify everything you do. Management is constantly second guessing store managers. Has gotten worse over the last year, management doesn't trust store managers. Never seen so many store managers leave in such a short time. Focus has shifted from ministry to bottom line. 60 to 70 hours a week does not allow for a balanced life.

Trust your managers, they know what they are doing.

Aug 20, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your hard work and dedication. As LifeWay is growing to meet the needs of the future, we do take pride in our staff. You and your staff contribute daily to ... More

Becoming more like secular retail everyday

Pros

Most co-workers and customers are great. It's a wonderful place to meet some really amazing people!

Cons

Sell, sell, sell! The main objective of each day is to see if you can beat the sales totals from that same day last year. You must push product on customers and are trained to sell as much as possible to everyone who comes in to increase LifeWay's sales. You are told that customers are most important, and they are prioritized above all else. However, over the past 2 years, the amount of available hours to give to sales associates has been cut in half, making it impossible to service every customer that comes in. "Passionately engaging believers on their journey of faith" is the mission statement, but there is increasingly less difference between LifeWay and secular retail. If the mission statement is to be believed and practiced by employees, then they need to be given the resources they need to make it happen. Despite the gradual decrease in resources, stores are expected to complete more and more tasks as the months and years go by. Raises have been eliminated. Great bonuses used to be given, but we were told last year (2013) to not expect much at all anymore, and it turned out to be true. Pay is below average for similar retail work. The company has not done much to attract young customers. The future does not look good unless LifeWay can find a way to get into the 21st century and service the 18-35 demographic. Management turnover has been very high recently. A manager has resigned every week or almost every week for the past year. Sometimes two or even three manager resignation announcements are made in a week. Managers and other employees from all over the chain have expressed concern with the direction the company is going under it's new leadership. My hope is that LifeWay will put it's customers' and employees' needs higher than where they are now. Happy employees make happy customers which equals more sales. Half the promoted product each month never even shows up, leaving customers angry at store employees when it's not their fault. Coupons and discounts can't be used on LifeWay published products. Coupons have tons of fine print that angers customers every single day.

Get in the stores and get your hands dirty, and not just for one day every quarter, then you can see what it's like to be in a store in 2014. It will change your outlook. Store level management is capable of doing incredible things, if they would just be given the flexibility to make more decisions in their store. Stores need more hours for their part timers so the sales floor can have more than 1 or 2 people trying to take care of all the customers. Managers can't train employees because they are stuck in the back all day doing paperwork, CLT meetings, pointless conference calls, Google docs, and receiving.

So so.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Pros

I've remained at LifeWay because of it's purpose.

Cons

Employees are not valued or appreciated.

Employees need to be valued for LifeWay to achieve the kind of success we've had in the past.

Aug 20, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. Our vision of providing Biblical Solutions For Life is carried out with the help of all of our employees. We thank you for your hard work and dedication. Please know that ... More

Pretty Good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Pros

LifeWay has incredible people. The benefits are great and it's a really great environment to work in. Mostly everyone is very helpful when you are new and don't know things.

Cons

There are not many opportunities for career growth at LifeWay. Salary is okay for people that are on the bottom half of the latter. Sometimes you will inherit work from people that have been let go with not salary increase or change in your job description. A lot of work for certain positions.

Aug 20, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. LifeWay is blessed with great employees and amazing benefits. We anticipate God's blessings as we are approaching a new year. Career development is a opportunity that ... More

Worked for LifeWay Christian Resources? Contribute to the Community!