LifeWay Christian Resources Reviews

Updated April 5, 2015
108 reviews filtered by
3.9
Thom S. Rainer

Pros
  • Great people to work with at LifeWay; there is an atmosphere of continuous improvement; benefits are competitive (in 10 reviews)

• On-site cafe and chapel, free parking, fun work environment, casual work attire (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Not many opportunities for advancement and low pay (in 6 reviews)

• Hardly any contact with upper management, just direct manager (in 4 reviews)

1. A genuine company you can count on to learn sales and grow your Christian walk.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder in Douglasville, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder in Douglasville, GA

I worked at LifeWay Christian Resources part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The fact that you can have a discussion about someone's salvation, customer or employee, is a wonderful thing.

Cons

Only one con comes to mind, everything else was great at LifeWay. When I was thinking about doing the Manager in Training (MIT) program I learned that if selected to be an MIT or eventually a manager, a requirement was that you *had* to move to another state to be MIT/manager. I don't understand the reasoning behind this requirement. Promoting from a sales associate to a key holder (lower/entry mgmt) is as far as I made it and so there were not many add'l advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

This is a wonderful company and I would have loved to keep working at LifeWay but the compensation, benefits and career opportunities were below par. Other than that I have learned some retail [management] skills/traits that will surely come in handy again someday.

2. Good Store

I have been working at LifeWay Christian Resources

Pros

The people that come in are nice and so are coworkers.

Cons

I can not think of any cons to this store and job.

Apr 7, 2015Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback and your daily contributions. You and your team assist us in carrying out our mission of providing "Biblical Solutions For Life". Thank you for all that you do at the ... More

3. Great Company, Great Employees

Former Contractor - Summer Staff in Nashville, TN
    Former Contractor - Summer Staff in Nashville, TN

I worked at LifeWay Christian Resources as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive Salaries. Wonderful internship / temporary staffing opportunities. Diligent, caring, and generous staff who all have the greatest sense of integrity. Christian environment. Travel opportunities.

Cons

Nashville city has terrible drivers.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, make sure you don't lose sight of what you are doing.

Apr 7, 2015Recruiting Coordinator

We appreciate your feedback. Thank you!

5. An overall good experience, with a lack of upward mobility.

I have been working at LifeWay Christian Resources

Pros

Great coworkers and an excellent working environment.

Cons

Sometimes there is a lack of help from the higher ups.

Advice to Management

Better connection between stores and corporate office.

Mar 30, 2015Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback.

6. Great benefits, poor leadership

I have been working at LifeWay Christian Resources

Pros

Without a doubt LifeWay offers highly competitive benefits - insurance, 401k, and more vacation time than a salaried employee can effectively take. It is nice to work for a not-for-profit where you know that good is being done as a result of your hard work. Most everyone is Sunday morning go to church nice to you and some even care about who you are and your family.

Cons

Not much room for advancement and a well-endowed good 'ol boy system plague people in middle management. There is a lack of clear leadership as leadership tends to change every couple of years. We have yet to figure out how to walk the fine line between being "not-for-the-profit" ministry and a for profit business. Typically the old guard errs on the side of ministry and the new faces are highly motivated by profit.

Advice to Management

Find your identity. If you want to be for-profit then act that way. If you are a not-for-profit ministry then act that way. We must cease being schizophrenic in our identity.

Mar 23, 2015Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. There is a fine line between non-profit; however we are first and foremost a "mission funded by a business model". As a result, in order to take our mission to the ... More

7. Great First Job

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Smith, AR
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Smith, AR

I have been working at LifeWay Christian Resources

Pros

Coworkers are really fun to be around, Nice customers most often, Great management, Positive and uplifting environment
    This is a great job for college students or someone simply wanting something fun to do for a bit of extra money. The work is easy, fun, enjoyable, and uplifting when you can help customers find things to aid their spiritual lives.

Cons

Low pay that barely exceeds minimum wage, Little room for advancement-one must have a business degree to become a manager. You can be promoted from a sales associate to a "key holder", but pay isn't much more and responsibilities are much tougher. I have been working with LifeWay for almost 2 years and have only received a 5 cent raise. No raises are expected this year.

Advice to Management

Perhaps asking employees to get a customer's phone number and other information 90% of the time is too much. A lot of people are unnerved by several hacking events in other retail departments and refuse to give information.

Mar 23, 2015Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. We continually look at best practices and opportunities to reward our employee while also seeking opportunities for reducing costs. We want nothing more than to find ... More

8. Great People, Low Wages

Current Employee - Former Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Former Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at LifeWay Christian Resources part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working in a bookstore it's like giving a kid a job in the candy store, the people you work with are friendly and good spirited. I look forward to going there. I have promoted some great causes in the months that I have been working there, I feel satisfied on a spiritual level for that as well.

Cons

It seems that every time the budget increases, more people are hired and they stay there until they decide to quit, which lowers hours and income. At minimum wage that puts one below poverty level. Even the Key Holders are being given under 20 hours

Advice to Management

increasing store budget allowing for the twenty or so employees to actually have a living wage would be ideal, and recommending that they keep those employees without constantly looking for new ones would make happy workers. Happy employees make a thriving business possible, especially since it must be difficult having a Christian Store in the Pacific Northwest.

Mar 30, 2015Recruiting Coordinator

We appreciate your feedback. We understand that many retail businesses are facing similar hurdles regarding hours and wages however LifeWay has faith that with your help and others we will continue ... More

9. Nice thought, poor execution

I worked at LifeWay Christian Resources full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Family friendly environment where one's Christian faith can be freely expressed.

Cons

The capabilities of upper management leaves a lot to be desired.

Advice to Management

Regime change. Dr. Thom Rainer might be an average writer, but he's a poor leader and his hand-picked V.P.'s have been weak at best. Waggoner - joke. Geiger - no experience.

Mar 23, 2015Recruiting Coordinator

We thank you for your previous service as a LifeWay employee and wish you the best as your move forward in your career.

10. Good missional purpose

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at LifeWay Christian Resources full-time

Pros

Recognition the historic model needs to change significantly to remain viable

Cons

Resources far exceed revenue stream - continued downsizing likely

Mar 2, 2015Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback.

11. Great Place to work

I have been working at LifeWay Christian Resources

Pros

I enjoyed working for one of the summer roles. They did a great job at training and provided good benefits for the work we were a part of. Great college role.

Cons

Nothing too much to say here. The summer position was difficult work, but nothing too difficult. Great program.

Feb 24, 2015Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate all that you do to help our Summer Camps run smoothly.

LifeWay Christian Resources Photos