Lifetouch

Lifetouch Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Lifetouch Chairman and CEO Paul Harmel

Paul Harmel

Pros
  • working with kids and families, getting to do what I love (photography)(in 17 reviews)

• ESOP (Employee Stock Ownership Program)(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of wear and tear on your vehicle that could be better compensated for(in 13 reviews)

• Taking 5% from peoples already low pay in order to buy other companies instead of taking stock in their employees(in 17 reviews)

Great company!

Director (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsESOP, income potential, good culture

ConsIndustry challenges, long hours, stressful

Advice to Senior ManagementBe creative

The Best Job Ever!!!

Photographer & Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsI was trained to the point of being comfortable, as well as being let know that they were available for any help

ConsA lot of travelling, some odd hours, NO SUMMER WORK

Advice to Senior ManagementFor local employees without transportation, opurtunities should still be available

Simple job, training provided and career advancement potential

Underclass Photographer (Current Employee) Corona, CA

ProsLifetouch is employee owned and they provide benefits after working there a certain amount of time. They provided paid training. The work is steady and easy to get overtime when you need it. Although is is seasonal, you can apply to work over the summer doing senior portraits.

ConsThe starting pay leaves something to be desired for all that you do. The hours can be unreliable sometimes. There is a lot of driving and although they give compensation for gas, it doesn't really cover maintenance or wear and tear on your car.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Management is sloppy, Customers are unappreciative, Out of date technology

Photographer & Sales Associate (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsYou get to have fun playing with kids and creating memories that people will cherish for a lifetime. You can have flexible hours.

ConsKids can be horrible. Parents can be worse. The management is set up in a way that is not supportive of growth or learning. Often the staff is under-trained and alone. Many times I would find myself alone in the studio trying to manage a studio but not having training for that level of work. Technology doesn't just often break down, it constantly breaks down and often they take forever to fix it. Customers can be unreasonable and management will yell at you if you are not selling enough product, even though they are offering "affordable" photography. Most managers strive for a $90 sales average, yet they offer $20 packages and coupons that make photos $4 a sheet. Often the photographers and sales associates get blamed even though they sell a mass amount of product and have high customer satisfaction.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time training in the camera room. Find more unique props. Go over new ways to make customers satisfied rather than just focusing on the price tag on their sale.

Territory Rep

Territory Representative (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, employee owned, awesome headquarters in MN if you get to work there, and nationwide coverage.

ConsWas part of the Herff Jones buy out and was somewhat deceived to sign on to the company only to have them take my accounts and then reduce my territory, pay, and title. Not honest about how they were going to go about the change. Always vague with their answers. Training is done by a guy who needs to get back out on the street and just see how his techniques don't work in all parts of the country.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet on the street with your people and reconnect with the customers and what the sales force is up against. Let the rep have more control over the process that happens in their own territory.

good part time job

Photographer - School (Current Employee)

ProsEmployee owned company with a great employee stock ownership plan. Good company culture, management and coworkers. Workdays usually end early. Company pays for travel time and buys gas. Seasonal with much of May, June and July off.

ConsPart time and difficult to average more than about 20-25 hrs/wk. Days start early, sometimes with 6 - 6:30 start times preceded by an hour travel time. Seasonal means little or no income from this job in May, June and July.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer merit raises

I wish it were better

Photographer & Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsOkay pay.
    Get to take pictures of cute kids.

ConsThe parents that come to the studios are crazy because they are mostly moms. They think it's okay to come late for their appointments on busy days and then flip out on you for not being able to take them in.

The hours are horrible if you aren't a store manager... they only give the emplyees 0-13 hours a week and then put you on call all the other days, but the on call never happens so you sit around waiting everyday. They need to make the job more about the employees and not have the managers be the only one with hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry working on making it so the managers aren't the only ones working most of the week. It's not right that there is additional employees only so that the managers can have 2 days off a week. Many employees end up not working at all or only a few hours a week.

Great company and nice helpful management.

JCPenney Photographer (Current Employee)

ProsFun and always learning new skills.

ConsPay scale is rough for starters. Stressful situations and under staffed at times.

It was okay, could have been better....

Seasonal Sales Associate/Photographer (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThe best part of working there was interacting with the babies, kids, and parents.
    I love seeing their faces light up when you do the different enhancements on the photographs.
    They pay more than $7.25 but, could be a little more due to everything you have to go through.
    It's a good job if you are in high school...

ConsPart-time hours
    No proper training
    Call-in shift run rapid
    No hours

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should train the new employees earlier than Oct. to be more prepared for the Christmas rush.

Bought my company out and then cut my pay and benefits

Portrait Consultant Church Division (Former Employee) Greenville, SC

ProsI do not have anything positive from my experience. Bad pay, Bad management, miserable coworkers. The benefits were awful. I was with a competitor of this company for 10 years and then my company was bought out, they cut our pay tremendously. I was one of the top performers and took about 40% less. I put my 2 week notice in in august and left mid august. In November they finally canceled my insurance leaving me with a large bill because they paid it through November.

ConsThe people that do all of the work get NONE of the reward. NEVER work for this company! The quality of their product is crap. The employees seem to all hate their jobs, at least the ones I met while I was with lifetouch.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about the people who do all the work a little more. You might see more profit!

Worked for Lifetouch? Contribute to the Community!