Lifetouch Reviews

Updated September 13, 2014
2.9

Lifetouch Chairman and CEO Paul Harmel
Paul Harmel

Pros
  • working with kids and families, getting to do what I love (photography) (in 17 reviews)

• ESOP (Employee Stock Ownership Program) (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of wear and tear on your vehicle that could be better compensated for (in 13 reviews)

• Taking 5% from peoples already low pay in order to buy other companies instead of taking stock in their employees (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Best job I've ever had

Current Employee - Photographer - School  in  Ebensburg, PA
    Current Employee - Photographer - School in Ebensburg, PA

I have been working at Lifetouch full-time for more than a year

Pros

Doing what I love, great team, very supportive, good hours, opportunity to advance, ESOP, fun, working with kids, traveling and making memories for families

Cons

Paid unfairly for driving and wear on car, we need better salaries for the work we do, organization of our scheduled jobs

We really should be compensated for the amount of wear we put on our vehicles.

I love this job

Current Employee - Photographer  in  East Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Photographer in East Rochester, NY

I have been working at Lifetouch part-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to work with babies and children of all ages. Schedule is nice get home by 7. But you can sleep in a little since the studio doesn't open till 10. Management is very helpful.

Cons

Salary is kinda unfair considering the job we do. It's hard being a photographer. It's a rewarding job but I wish it was rewarding in our pay. Or if we could accept tip. That would be nice

Keep up the good work. I know you try hard to make everyone happy and it's hard but I am a loyal employee and I appreciate my job.

I was a lifer, till they pulled the plug.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Lifetouch full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Employee Stock Ownership Program, the people you work with, and making memories that people will remember for a lifetime.

Cons

The seasonality of the business is not for everyone. They are in the process of shutting down our facility, here in KC which makes us wonder about the Yearbook side of the business as a whole. Seeing the lack of a plan during this closure has been a real eye opener. Feels like the finance guys said a plant consolidation would be fiscally responsible, so they moved forward with firing everyone, with NO plan or idea what it would take and cost. They are moving our one building operation to a three building operation in Loves Park, IL. How silly to have your products miles apart from each other!
    As far as pay goes, I always thought I was compensated fairly, until I started job searching. I am having no issue finding a job making more money at an entry level position. ESOP was the only thing that evens out being under-paid.

Think before you act, and GFY.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Work, Work, Work

Former Employee - Photographer  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Photographer in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Lifetouch full-time for less than a year

Pros

I got to be a photographer, which I enjoyed.

Cons

It paid only $12 per hour, had next to no benefits, and I essentially had to be on-call six days per week from 6 a.m. to midnight. I only got my work assignments two to three days in advance, so it was almost impossible to have a personal life or plan anything (e.g., doctor appointments) outside of work. It also paid very below the market rate for mileage and I saw very little room for advancement. In addition, because of the low pay, I had to work 65-70 hours per week in order to make ends meet. Finally, all the photographers are laid off over the winter and summer when schools are not in session.

Increase wages, pay more for car mileage, give assignments more in advance so employees can have a life outside of the job.

The McDonald's Drive-thru of Photography by desperate photographers seeking work from a large greedy corporation.

Former Employee - Photography Sales Specialist
    Former Employee - Photography Sales Specialist

I worked at Lifetouch full-time for more than a year

Pros

I got to make people very happy by giving them the memorable photos that our lives are made of.

Cons

Slave labor by a large greedy corporation with disconnected management.

Protecting the Employee Stock Options (ESOP) is important but stop losing sight that without the employees there would not be a company in the first place! Treat the Photography Sales Specialists better. You can start doing this by paying the actual government rate on mileage expenses, not half or less because all the other gas money comes out of our commissions. It's wrong of them to force the non-studio gear carriers even though we all carry a trunk full of equipment to be forced to claim an even lower percentage of mileage expenses than the studio equipment carriers. The regular PSS should be getting the government rate on mileage & the studio carriers should make even more than the government mileage rate. Stop lying to us all saying that we can claim the discrepancy mileage balance on our tax returns which we can't unless we drive more than 15K miles/year for work. We're tired of big promises & the disconnected reality management paints that results in being "nickle & dimed" out of every penny they can get away with not paying us fairly. If you want great talent stop treating us like slaves because it will greatly reduce the "turn & burn" (worker turnover). The territory, sales & studio managers have greedy egos & need more intelligence. They get their percentages coming & going on sales & number of sits. They're overloaded with work & half of the time book jobs without regard to how much the Photography Sales Specialists will actually make on 100% commission so the managers get their money either way but the photographers get the short end of the stick if a bad job was booked by the manager. I was driving working almost 70 hours/week making about $500/week which averaged out to about $10/hour & never knowing if I was going to make it home alive driving on the highway at the point of exhaustion. Management's schedules are horrible on the photographers. The preceding was mostly about the Church division. As for the School Division, paying $8/hour is slave labor for a highly skilled trade. Even at $10/hour it's insulting to any self-respecting pro photographer.

Wonderful learning experience

Former Employee - Photographer & Sales Associate  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Photographer & Sales Associate in Denver, CO

I worked at Lifetouch part-time for less than a year

Pros

Learn the field of family photography and sales. Work with creative fun people. Enjoyed meeting all of the customers and walking them through the process of sitting for the images and then selling the images.

Cons

I was with the Church Directory division. As a nature of the business we needed to work on the weekends. I found this to be a con for my work family balance.

Keep up good work.

to many managers. photographers dont get enough credit

Former Employee - Photographer  in  South Plainfield, NJ
    Former Employee - Photographer in South Plainfield, NJ

I worked at Lifetouch part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great way to learn how to be a portrait photographer. learn how to work under pressure

Cons

driving dead end job. management is out of touch with the people that make the business

Fun job, decent company and average pay

Current Employee - Photographer - School
    Current Employee - Photographer - School

I have been working at Lifetouch full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Photographers are paid $100 a day. Considering that some days end at 2:00 or earlier, this is a great seasonal job for some. It's fun to photograph the kids and work with school personnel.

Cons

Some of the photogs just want to get in, take the pictures and get out quickly. If you are someone who CARES, you may run into lazy coworkers who just want to take the pictures quickly, in order to get home quickly. However, most employees are kind and professional.

Pay people more. Pay more for mileage reimbursement.

Lifetouch has been good to me

I have been working at Lifetouch full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have been given numerous advancement opportunities, along with valuable training in management, leadership, manufacturing, lean manufacturing principles, etc. This company has been great to me from a personal and professional standpoint, and I am lucky to be a part of such a great organization.

Cons

Corporate investment is slow at times; it does come, but of course not in the same timely manner as the shop floor experts feel it should.

Continue developing your people and providing opportunities they can look forward to. Thank you for caring about your employees.

Photography

Former Employee - Photographer  in  Parma, OH
    Former Employee - Photographer in Parma, OH

I worked at Lifetouch part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Fun, easy going, pretty care free

Cons

not a real job, you will never advance, the customers suck

get it together

Worked for Lifetouch? Contribute to the Community!