Lifetouch

Lifetouch Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Lifetouch Chairman and CEO Paul Harmel

Paul Harmel

Pros:
  • "working with kids and families, getting to do what I love (photography)"
    in 16 reviews
  • "ESOP (Employee Stock Ownership Program)"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "wear and tear on vehicle (transporting equipment)"
    in 11 reviews
  • "You cant photograph an infant session in under 10 minutes for quality portraiture"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I was hired as a seasonal employee.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Lifetouch

ProsOverall, the company seemed to really care about the product they were offering.

ConsGrowth opportunities were greatly exaggerated. Supervisor acted as if she did not know/or want to know the seasonal employees. She'd even look the other way when passing in the hallway. Very demeaning.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe truthful when hiring. Respect ALL of your employees.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Best job I have ever had

Sales (Current Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Lifetouch full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people here have been so friendly, welcoming, creative, and hard working. Everyone I talk to seems to truly care about making this a great place to work and providing a way for families to remember this moment. I have never wanted to sit in a cubicle somewhere and do repetitive things. My job changes every day - always new people to meet, interesting problems to solve, things to discover. I have very supportive managers that are flexible if I need to take care of a sick kid. The rest of my team is so supportive of working on ideas. We are really trying to make a difference in the schools we serve and the lives of the people we meet.

ConsThe work never stops - there is always more to do so you have to self manage to maintain work/life balance and that is something I am still learning.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep letting us share our ideas and making this a safe place for innovation.

Good for someone with no experience but willing to learn

JCPenney Photographer (Former Employee)
Aurora, CO

I worked at Lifetouch part-time for less than a year

Prosperfect environment to learn about portrait photography and get some confidence as a photographer
Never boring with so many seasons and occasions for families to get photos
working with kids!!!!
You´ll have some required shots but after that you are free to be creative

Cons$ is really bad
I personally didn´t like being forced to spend more time selling other photographers pictures instead of taking them myself.
schedules can be hectic and hard to reconcile with your family´s schedule. (I would say is a job for young people with no kids)

on the cusp

I have been working at Lifetouch as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat work culture training, good people

Consneed innovation of new products to grow

Advice to Senior Managementshare the table to foster ideas

Haves & Have nots

Photographer & Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lifetouch full-time for more than a year

ProsVery focused on quality photography, nice equipment. Employee owned, focused on growing for the future.

ConsManagement out of touch with needs in field. All about esop but most not making it to time to take advantage of it. Employees driving retirement for executives. As an employee owned company I would think people who generate that income would benefit more than the execs. Pay differential to great.
Most field employees Below Poverty Level, this should be embarrassing to an employee owned company.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvestment in what you have, will grow profits exponentially. Turning a blind eye to reality of pay potential by only restaffing cost the ESOP far more than paying a better wage,& investing in what you already have.

Great experience, if you want to see some of the state you live in

Photographer (Former Employee)
Portland, OR

I worked at Lifetouch part-time for less than a year

ProsThe friendly people you work with are a big part of what makes Lifetouch great to work for
Interesting workplace, that teaches and practices patience, as well as getting a smile out of the hardest people to photograph -teenagers

ConsThe pay is terrible for the amount of hours you put in.
If you want to learn how to be a technically good photographer, this is not the place to get that experience

Advice to Senior ManagementPay the staff a bit more, so you don't risk losing some of your standout photographers. Your experience here may also depend on which sales rep you're working for.

Fun coworkers

Photo Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Lifetouch part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat people and a fun work environment (if you are into photo studio lifestyle). I love the people that I work with!

ConsThe pay is not phenomenal, but I do work part time and the job does not require a degree. Naturally the pay is not a huge.

Photographer

I have been working at Lifetouch

ProsSales and Photography combined is a good thing

Consyou work on commission basis

You choose your level of success

Sales Professional (Current Employee)
Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at Lifetouch full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThere is a great deal of flexibility and personal accountability within this company. If you decide to perform and give 100% you are compensated for your work. If you do not want to perform, it shows up in every aspect of your employment.

ConsThis is a detail oriented career. If you are not passionate about what you are doing, believe that you are offering the best product and striving to do more each day, it is easy to become burned out quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are too many acronyms and "processes" within the company. Ordering products, customer service, flyer packaging and pricing etc are too cumbersome. There are so many tiny pieces that have to be done each and every day that sometimes we miss the "big picture" as we focus on getting the process done correctly.

Lifetouch is a unique place to work where people enthusiastically support each other.

Photographer & Sales Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Lifetouch full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWorking in a different location every day. Working with school personnel and kids can be challenging and rewarding at the same time.

ConsThe corporate office places great emphasis on growing the business and increasing profits. This seems to come before supporting employees and serving customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind the sweet spot between control and empowerment by developing the right people and letting them do the jobs they were hired to do. Listen to employees and encourage them to listen to customers.

Worked for Lifetouch? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lifetouch reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Lifetouch CEO Paul Harmel. All 277 reviews posted anonymously by Lifetouch employees.