Lifetouch Reviews

Updated September 30, 2014
2.9

Lifetouch Chairman and CEO Paul Harmel
Paul Harmel

Pros
  • working with kids and families, getting to do what I love (photography) (in 18 reviews)

• Employee Stock Ownership Program, the people you work with, and making memories that people will remember for a lifetime (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of wear and tear on your vehicle that could be better compensated for (in 13 reviews)

• Taking 5% from peoples already low pay in order to buy other companies instead of taking stock in their employees (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Not terrible

I worked at Lifetouch part-time for less than a year

Pros

Photography I love. Customers were nice

Cons

Everything else. Travel, pay, boss, schedule.

Better pay

Best job I've ever had

Current Employee - Photographer - School  in  Ebensburg, PA
    Current Employee - Photographer - School in Ebensburg, PA

I have been working at Lifetouch full-time for more than a year

Pros

Doing what I love, great team, very supportive, good hours, opportunity to advance, ESOP, fun, working with kids, traveling and making memories for families

Cons

Paid unfairly for driving and wear on car, we need better salaries for the work we do, organization of our scheduled jobs

We really should be compensated for the amount of wear we put on our vehicles.

The McDonald's Drive-thru of Photography by desperate photographers seeking work from a large greedy corporation.

Former Employee - Photography Sales Specialist
    Former Employee - Photography Sales Specialist

I worked at Lifetouch full-time for more than a year

Pros

I got to make people very happy by giving them the memorable photos that our lives are made of.

Cons

Slave labor by a large greedy corporation with disconnected management.

Protecting the Employee Stock Options (ESOP) is important but stop losing sight that without the employees there would not be a company in the first place! Treat the Photography Sales Specialists better. You can start doing this by paying the actual government rate on mileage expenses, not half or less because all the other gas money comes out of our commissions. It's wrong of them to force the non-studio gear carriers even though we all carry a trunk full of equipment to be forced to claim an even lower percentage of mileage expenses than the studio equipment carriers. The regular PSS should be getting the government rate on mileage & the studio carriers should make even more than the government mileage rate. Stop lying to us all saying that we can claim the discrepancy mileage balance on our tax returns which we can't unless we drive more than 15K miles/year for work. We're tired of big promises & the disconnected reality management paints that results in being "nickle & dimed" out of every penny they can get away with not paying us fairly. If you want great talent stop treating us like slaves because it will greatly reduce the "turn & burn" (worker turnover). The territory, sales & studio managers have greedy egos & need more intelligence. They get their percentages coming & going on sales & number of sits. They're overloaded with work & half of the time book jobs without regard to how much the Photography Sales Specialists will actually make on 100% commission so the managers get their money either way but the photographers get the short end of the stick if a bad job was booked by the manager. I was driving working almost 70 hours/week making about $500/week which averaged out to about $10/hour & never knowing if I was going to make it home alive driving on the highway at the point of exhaustion. Management's schedules are horrible on the photographers. The preceding was mostly about the Church division. As for the School Division, paying $8/hour is slave labor for a highly skilled trade. Even at $10/hour it's insulting to any self-respecting pro photographer.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I love this job

Current Employee - Photographer  in  East Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Photographer in East Rochester, NY

I have been working at Lifetouch part-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to work with babies and children of all ages. Schedule is nice get home by 7. But you can sleep in a little since the studio doesn't open till 10. Management is very helpful.

Cons

Salary is kinda unfair considering the job we do. It's hard being a photographer. It's a rewarding job but I wish it was rewarding in our pay. Or if we could accept tip. That would be nice

Keep up the good work. I know you try hard to make everyone happy and it's hard but I am a loyal employee and I appreciate my job.

I was a lifer, till they pulled the plug.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Lifetouch full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Employee Stock Ownership Program, the people you work with, and making memories that people will remember for a lifetime.

Cons

The seasonality of the business is not for everyone. They are in the process of shutting down our facility, here in KC which makes us wonder about the Yearbook side of the business as a whole. Seeing the lack of a plan during this closure has been a real eye opener. Feels like the finance guys said a plant consolidation would be fiscally responsible, so they moved forward with firing everyone, with NO plan or idea what it would take and cost. They are moving our one building operation to a three building operation in Loves Park, IL. How silly to have your products miles apart from each other!
    As far as pay goes, I always thought I was compensated fairly, until I started job searching. I am having no issue finding a job making more money at an entry level position. ESOP was the only thing that evens out being under-paid.

Think before you act, and GFY.

Work, Work, Work

Former Employee - Photographer  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Photographer in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Lifetouch full-time for less than a year

Pros

I got to be a photographer, which I enjoyed.

Cons

It paid only $12 per hour, had next to no benefits, and I essentially had to be on-call six days per week from 6 a.m. to midnight. I only got my work assignments two to three days in advance, so it was almost impossible to have a personal life or plan anything (e.g., doctor appointments) outside of work. It also paid very below the market rate for mileage and I saw very little room for advancement. In addition, because of the low pay, I had to work 65-70 hours per week in order to make ends meet. Finally, all the photographers are laid off over the winter and summer when schools are not in session.

Increase wages, pay more for car mileage, give assignments more in advance so employees can have a life outside of the job.

Good for single, young people looking for a "just for right now" job.

Former Employee - Lead Photographer
    Former Employee - Lead Photographer

I worked at Lifetouch full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The great thing about Lifetouch is that there is never a dull moment. You get to go to a different location everyday and meet lots of people.

Cons

The hours can be pretty harsh due to the travel. You can be required to drive 1-2 hours (one way, and sometimes more) away, and to be there by 6:30-7 am. There is no lodging provided. Also, the pay is comparable to a grocery store checkout clerk, even after many years of service and/or company awards.

Treat photographers better, they ARE the business.

Unrealistic and exploitative of thier employess

Former Employee - Photographer  in  Rockville, CT
    Former Employee - Photographer in Rockville, CT

I worked at Lifetouch full-time for less than a year

Pros

Exciting at first
    The kids were fun to work with.

Cons

Number 1. I showed up to every every site at 5:44 AM

NUMBER 2. 2 days in a row my master photographer was late.

Number 3. A supervisor came and some how made me feel it was my fault he was late. In front of me told the late employee he going to win awards. Degraded me and built the tardy employee up.

Number 4. Photographer brag to me how company offered him a company car when his car broke down. Afet driving town to town in which my vehicle broke down and received no such offer.

Number 5. He told me the company offered him a hotel for the NY school and nothing was offered to me. They scheduled me 3 hours away and made no such offer to me until I brought the subject up. They then told me I was suppose to make a request, by then it was too late. Theye expected me to drive back and fourth to NY and Connecticut the 2 days.

number 6. Late employee unprofessionally flirted with the school secretary to the point she was uncomfortable in the end. There was a lot of flirtation between tardy photographer and an in school secretary..

Number 7 Late and unprofessional photographer was treated like a star quarterback or something.

This one photo shoot day was the exact reason I quit.

What can I say?

Job not a career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Muncie, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Muncie, IN

I worked at Lifetouch full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I liked the people that I worked with, we had set hours during the season we worked, overtime paid time and a half, we got a pay increase every year. I loved working for this company the first year and each year after that I enjoyed it less and less.

Cons

Lots of new people came in the last couple years to try to make the company better, but they refused to listen to employees opinions. They took away vacation hours and only gave us allotted PTO for half the year at a time. I personally did more than my share of work and never felt appreciated and felt overworked because I could do a better job than other employees. It was a seasonal job, you only worked 6 or so months our of the year unless you got a higher position. When I first worked there the unemployment benefits I received were fantastic and it declined each year. Management didn't care about the employees and only seemed to care about numbers. People who worked hard, was made to work harder and those that didn't do their fair share still got paid the same as everyone else and was never reprimanded.

Appreciate the employees who do more than their share. They will quit.

to many managers. photographers dont get enough credit

Former Employee - Photographer  in  South Plainfield, NJ
    Former Employee - Photographer in South Plainfield, NJ

I worked at Lifetouch part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great way to learn how to be a portrait photographer. learn how to work under pressure

Cons

driving dead end job. management is out of touch with the people that make the business

Worked for Lifetouch? Contribute to the Community!