Lifetouch

Updated January 26, 2015
2.7

Lifetouch Chairman and CEO Paul Harmel
Paul Harmel

Pros
  • working with kids and families, getting to do what I love (photography) (in 18 reviews)

• Employee Stock Ownership Program, the people you work with, and making memories that people will remember for a lifetime (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of wear and tear on your vehicle that could be better compensated for (in 13 reviews)

• Taking 5% from peoples already low pay in order to buy other companies instead of taking stock in their employees (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Good experience in retail portrait photography

Former Employee - Portrait Photographer in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Portrait Photographer in Plano, TX

I worked at Lifetouch part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I learned some valuable skills at Lifetouch. Though we had specific criteria to adhere to, we also had freedom to be creative in our portrait sessions. The company also gives associates the opportunity to excel through being published and honored in the nationwide company portfolio. I also enjoyed the rapport created with other associates through the companies web portal. There, we could share photographs, critiques and chat with one another.

Cons

During the holidays, back to back 10 minute photo sessions can be near to impossible to complete, but they are expected to create volume and revenue. It leaves no room for error when clearly families and children can create a multitude of variables. Even if this is retail photography, 10 minutes can be problematic. People expect more even when paying less.

Busy, but not bad

Former Employee - Photographer
    Former Employee - Photographer

I worked at Lifetouch part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Gain experience
    networking
    No problems with corporate
    Extensive training
    Made many kids happy

Cons

Made just as many kids and parents upset
    Overpacked schedule
    Not great pay
    Small studio
    Way too many technology problems

When you invest in making the atmosphere more comfortable, you'll get better sales and more returning staff.

Lifetouch is a company doing a difficult but rewarding job with dwindling customers.

Current Employee - Photographer in Greenville, NC
    Current Employee - Photographer in Greenville, NC

I have been working at Lifetouch part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people I've met working at Lifetouch have all been great. There have been a few personality conflicts but nothing major partly because of the kind of work we do. The pay is not very enticing unless you are in one of the management positions but the creative opportunities and learning opportunities make up for some of that. Lifetouch also has an ESOP program for potential retirees that is attractive.

Cons

The work of transporting a portable studio, setting up, photographing and breaking down equipment can became tedious. There are also problems with equipment that are to be expected with any technology but made more frustrating because of the on-demand nature of our work. The pay for photographers is also not great and the job is seasonal. It is rare except during the summer to work 40 hours in a week.

Somehow management needs to provide bonuses so that the photographers can make a living wage without having to have a second job.

Not for everyone, Seasonal work.

Former Employee - Lead Photographer in Citrus Heights, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Photographer in Citrus Heights, CA

I worked at Lifetouch part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You will become good friends with some of your coworkers. This place has a strong sense of togetherness in an attempt to outweigh the cons of this job. You begin to understand hard work here. If you are a photographer you have a chance to work in your craft with top grade equipment. Working as a school photographer, you travel each day near and far from Tahoe to Fairfield, and Nevada City to Manteca. You see a lot of smiles on the job and it's about creating a positive happy atmosphere working with the schools and the students. Never an uneventful day because at the schools, you are the event. Every day is different.

Cons

Every day is different. Your work schedule is pretty unpredictable, hard to schedule anything in your life past a week and a half. Every school is different and you could have an easy day or a hard day but you won't know until you get there. You won't know how long you work until the very end of the day since your schedule works around the school, even your lunchtime, which may or may not happen. Also, this job becomes you during the photo season. The compensation is poor for the amount of work you put in. The mornings start extremely early and promptness is a must. At each school you wear multiple hats as customer service, sales, and even babysitting.

Culminate better communication with each department. I cannot play the messenger between upper management while working at a school.

Pay is not good but the people make it ok

Current Employee - Production in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Production in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Lifetouch full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The main reason I stay is because I really like my boss, and the people I work with. I like seeing the finished product and knowing that I helped make those memories for people.

Cons

The pay is absolutely terrible. The company is making a ton of money, and most people are only working seasonally. If they paid people better they probably would care more about the job.

Pay your people at least as much as they pay at the fast food place. You get huge bonuses and your seasonal people barely make enough to get by.

Fun job, cheap company

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Boston, MA

I worked at Lifetouch part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was a manager/photographer at a Jcp salon. It was really fun, educational, creative. I loved my coworkers and still keep in contact with them years later. I get calls from Lifetouch still about rehiring and it's nice they keep me in mind. They have decent benefits package, they are better than most companies for part time employees. Earned vacation and sick days and paid holidays, Time and a half on Sundays, earned bonuses.

Cons

Flat out the pay sucks. You got to really love your job to accept such low wages. Especially for a job with extensice training and the use of your brain and creative skills. Also you have to be on call a lot and don't always have garunteed hours. That makes it hard to have a second job or a reliable schedule at all.

Pay higher hourly wages to keep your more advanced employees

Fun job, lots of work for ok pay...could be more

Former Employee - Photographer - School in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Photographer - School in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Lifetouch part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun job, work with kids, different locations, never boring

Cons

Too much wear and tear on your car, no raises, have to fill up your car with a LOT of heavy equipment and haul it all into the school to set up every morning really early

Give feedback to the photographers

Early mornings and no hours

Current Employee - Photographer - School in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Photographer - School in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Lifetouch

Pros

Most of the people are awesome to work with.

Cons

Very low pay, you have to qualify for benefits

Real incentives that award hard work for everybody not just those who are favorites.

Photography

I worked at Lifetouch

Pros

Interacting with people evey day

Cons

When I Dont have the right information to do my job

Great company, great people

I have been working at Lifetouch

Pros

Employee owned means everyone cares. A very different culture than other companies. ESOP can perform well for those who qualify.

Cons

Very busy seasonally. ESOP has been good but no guarantee of that in the future.