Lifetouch Reviews

Updated August 21, 2014

2.8

Lifetouch Chairman and CEO Paul Harmel
Paul Harmel

Pros
  • working with kids and families, getting to do what I love (photography) (in 17 reviews)

• ESOP (Employee Stock Ownership Program) (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of wear and tear on your vehicle that could be better compensated for (in 13 reviews)

• Taking 5% from peoples already low pay in order to buy other companies instead of taking stock in their employees (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Wonderful learning experience

Former Employee - Photographer & Sales Associate  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Photographer & Sales Associate in Denver, CO

I worked at Lifetouch part-time for less than a year

Pros

Learn the field of family photography and sales. Work with creative fun people. Enjoyed meeting all of the customers and walking them through the process of sitting for the images and then selling the images.

Cons

I was with the Church Directory division. As a nature of the business we needed to work on the weekends. I found this to be a con for my work family balance.

Keep up good work.

Horrible Management!

Former Employee - Photographer
    Former Employee - Photographer

I worked at Lifetouch part-time for more than a year

Pros

Some people at schools are kind and appreciative of the work you do.
    There is paid training if you get a professional who knows how to do a good job.
    File for unemployment on the off season.

Cons

Not paid nearly enough, for both wages and mileage, for all the time and effort you put in. And it's grueling work to say the least.
    No room for growth. Seasonal position.
    Super long hours (10+), getting up really early (4am), and sometimes waiting at schools for someone to let you in and then having to move an entire room filled with desks and chairs because the school is not prepared for you to be there or didn't even know you were showing up.
    Angry parents and staff at equipment failure and you are there on the front lines to take the burden of it all or parents and staff giving you a difficult time to go faster than humanly possible to photograph each child and staff at that school.
    Equipment is faulty and/or not properly maintained.
    Managers who are incompetent and do not provide support, severe lack of communication with employees and schools.
    Sometimes told to do work that is out of your job description.
    Scheduling photographers are continuously changing so you never know what your schedule will look like until the day before or the day of.
    Management is not clear about how to fill out paperwork such as timesheets, mileage.
    Continuous turnover in employees, can't keep people to save their life.

Screen people better for positions in management. Get new management who are properly trained who will be fair and have excellent communication skills. Pay your photographers more so they will stay working for you and stop being so damn greedy! More training by a professional who has been trained properly.

Do not waste your time

Former Employee - Preschool Photographer  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Preschool Photographer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Lifetouch full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Perfect for stay home mom looking for extra cash for a a year or two

Cons

Benefits are ridiculous , pay and compensation for using your own vehicle is a scam and the constant pressure to photograph as fast as possible so the company can pay as little as possible is a slap in the face to their schools and a lack of respect towards them and the parents .They expect photographers to be available for them during the season but have no compensation in place if a school cancel , so you'll be left with no income. You'll have to fill unemployment when the season is over if you want to make it for a few months , that is no a way to make a living . The idea is to get as much as possible from the photographers and inflate the retirement funds for those vested and after being treated like dirt for a couple of years , people quit before they are eligible and they go on hiring new people and doing the same thing . If you like photography , find somewhere else to work , you will end up hating taking pictures .

None , I believe its a lost cause .........

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lifetouch has been good to me

I have been working at Lifetouch full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have been given numerous advancement opportunities, along with valuable training in management, leadership, manufacturing, lean manufacturing principles, etc. This company has been great to me from a personal and professional standpoint, and I am lucky to be a part of such a great organization.

Cons

Corporate investment is slow at times; it does come, but of course not in the same timely manner as the shop floor experts feel it should.

Continue developing your people and providing opportunities they can look forward to. Thank you for caring about your employees.

Photography

Former Employee - Photographer  in  Parma, OH
    Former Employee - Photographer in Parma, OH

I worked at Lifetouch part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Fun, easy going, pretty care free

Cons

not a real job, you will never advance, the customers suck

get it together

Fun job, low pay

Former Employee - Photographer - School  in  Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - Photographer - School in Aurora, IL

I worked at Lifetouch part-time for less than a year

Pros

Each day is different. Fun job. Great co-workers.

Cons

Low pay for school photographers. Office staff gets paid more. Can be very stressful.

Pay your photographers!

Fun job, decent company and average pay

Current Employee - Photographer - School
    Current Employee - Photographer - School

I have been working at Lifetouch full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Photographers are paid $100 a day. Considering that some days end at 2:00 or earlier, this is a great seasonal job for some. It's fun to photograph the kids and work with school personnel.

Cons

Some of the photogs just want to get in, take the pictures and get out quickly. If you are someone who CARES, you may run into lazy coworkers who just want to take the pictures quickly, in order to get home quickly. However, most employees are kind and professional.

Pay people more. Pay more for mileage reimbursement.

Large company that needs to fight to stay relevant

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Lifetouch full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Outside Sales Flexibility, Many top managers at retirement ages, working with schools. If you are successful you are left alone and can pretty much make your own schedule.

Cons

High turnover on corporate level, lack of operational training/ too many internal systems. Crazy early mornings, long days on the road driving between schools.

Don't become the next Kodak

It was fun, educational, stressful, tiring...a rollercoaster

Former Employee - Team Member  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Team Member in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Lifetouch part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great for college students, some of the guest were simply amazing. You get to see your work come to life and let your creativity come to life

Cons

I had about 4 different managers in the 3+ years I was employed. The managers didn't treat team members well AT ALL!

n/a

great employer

I have been working at Lifetouch full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I've been working for Lifetouch for 8 years, started as an associate moved into to management, lot of room for growth, pays good, paid holidays for full-time employees, paid vacation.

Cons

less than stellar insurance, sometimes hours aren't flexible

Worked for Lifetouch? Contribute to the Community!