Lifetouch Reviews

Updated October 20, 2014
2.9

Lifetouch Chairman and CEO Paul Harmel
Paul Harmel

Pros
  • working with kids and families, getting to do what I love (photography) (in 18 reviews)

• Employee Stock Ownership Program, the people you work with, and making memories that people will remember for a lifetime (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of wear and tear on your vehicle that could be better compensated for (in 13 reviews)

• It also paid very below the market rate for mileage and I saw very little room for advancement (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great at first...then went WAY downhill

Former Employee - Internal Communications in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Internal Communications in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Lifetouch full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pretty good company culture. Decent work/life balance in certain departments. Mostly very pleasant, friendly people to work with. Nice benefits and PTO.

Cons

General cons would be that it is a very slow decision making company. I would also say that leadership in certain areas could receive much more guidance and training before being put into positions of management. The culture was great at first, but then it became a very fakey and artificial environment. As you will see below, I was in a hostile work environment for most of my time at Lifetouch.

My department had a new manager, and this was their first managerial role. For someone just starting out in the real world of full-time employment, I was horribly verbally mistreated almost daily. I was given tasks I was not able to ask questions without being made to feel like a fool from my manager. I would go into meetings unprepared at times because my manager would not divulge to me all the facts that I would need to know for the meeting, and then they would be disrespectful to me in front of other coworkers at times in these meetings. Due to the treatment I received while working in this department I developed high anxiety which greatly impacted my work performance every day. I would talk with my HR rep about these ongoings, and no attempts were made to try and solve what was going on before I was laid off due to company restructuring.

I worked in another department before this as an intern, and it was a much different environment. My team and my director were very kind, easy to work with and were great to learn from.

All in all, Lifetouch as a whole isn't too bad of a company to work for - just be careful about what department/area you end up in as all of them clearly don't make the best decisions about who they move up to positions of increased power. The departments and HR team should be better about making sure employees are not mistreated and are comfortable going to work and doing their job.

I would strongly advise management to evaluate their employees in more depth before moving them up to a managerial role. The departments and HR team should be better about making sure employees are not mistreated and are comfortable going to work and doing their job.

Fun Seasonal Gig

Current Employee - Photographer

I have been working at Lifetouch part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good Hours, management works around your other committments

Cons

Lugging around equipment and setting up and breaking down.

Portrait Photographer

Current Employee - Photographer

I have been working at Lifetouch full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great way to learn how to take portraits of all kinds of people and sell your work. You work with nice people all day long, mostly.

Cons

You have to work at a fast pace to make money, it doesn't leave much time for creativity. Also there is no room for advancement, it's all commission and that is where you stay. There is a lot of driving so it is hard on your vehicle.

Have avenues for your trained photographers to be able to advance, you're a little heavy on the top management.

Good for a little while

Former Employee - Photographer - School in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Photographer - School in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Lifetouch part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pros are its easy to get hired and most of the people you're working with are pretty cool. Lot's of employees also have other photography gigs to supplement their income. The pay is the same rate every day, regardless of number of hours worked. Great on a short day (there are lots) but when you work out the hourly rate...not so great.

Cons

It's a VERY EARLY rise job, some days I was up at 4:30 am. A lot of schools are prepared and organized, but then there are the others...grrr. It's a short, seasonal position. August - November, unless you are hired to photograph other school events, prom, etc. You will most likely be asked back the next year, so there's that.

High School Clique "Culture"

Former Employee - Photographer - School
    Former Employee - Photographer - School

I worked at Lifetouch part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice camera equipment to work with during the shoots.

Cons

The "culture" of the company is like a high school clique. The photo shoots are stressful because the photographers don't work as a team. The employees who have been with the company for years are mostly disgruntled employees who work their seasonal fall photo shoots, complaining about each other, being bossy, caddy and obnoxious! The work is grunt labor. Shoot those pictures fast, keep the lines moving and don't worry about getting a great shot! Basically taking ID pictures for 8 hours on your feet!

Short lived I was hoping to work there longer. Great people to work with. I'm hoping to get hired back on in the summer.

Former Employee - Photographer in Sandy, UT
    Former Employee - Photographer in Sandy, UT

I worked at Lifetouch part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people and the job it was fun and that is something that I look for in a job.

Cons

Could pay more for gas and I know I'm not alone when I say that.

Wish I could have received more training.

It was good

Former Employee - Engineer in New Hope, MN
    Former Employee - Engineer in New Hope, MN

I worked at Lifetouch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I I I liked working there

Cons

I do not have any thing to say none

help more

Working hard gets you nowhere

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at Lifetouch full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

ESOP,
    Family-first culture,
    Wonderful co-workers,
    flexible hours,
    top notch Facilities

Cons

too stressful on life-work balance,
    no defined career paths,
    no way into management from the inside,
    doesn't value their hardest workers,
    disingenuous compensation practices, hires you cheap with little experience but doesn't match the salary increase curve as experience is gained

Instead of talking about investing in your employees why don't you actually do it by defining career paths and hiring more management-level decision makers from inside

Not terrible

I worked at Lifetouch part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Photography I love. Customers were nice

Cons

Everything else. Travel, pay, boss, schedule.

Better pay

Lean Manufacturing - what a joke.

I have been working at Lifetouch (more than 8 years)

Pros

Time off away during the summer from all of the stress and from being overworked, underpaid and underappreciated.

Cons

Horrible pay. Raises are a joke. Work your butt off and still get the same compensation as people who talk and text all night. They've gone to lean manufacturing even though we're not a manufacturer. Have spent God knows how much money flying people back and forth from the home office to other labs plus making positions for new lean supervisors only to create an environment where it is difficult to work. They took down the partitions which made our cubicles which cut down on idle talk and the spread of germs from coughing and sneezing, now it's just one big hooting and hollering across the room at each other making it difficult to even concentrate on your job, it's one huge germfest and you get points and eventually fired if you're sick too much when they've created the nasty conditions to begin with. The chairs are old and give you back aches and some are so nasty you don't want to sit in them. They supposedly took down the partitions so that leadership can see what people are doing yet people sit and text all night, every night and still keep their jobs. It's horrible for new people trying to learn a job and then it's worse because when they make a mistake everyone knows about it.

Go back to how it was and put the partitions back up or you try sitting out where we are for a week and do our jobs and try giving yourself points for being sick from the horrible conditions you've created for us, and get us some decent chairs to sit in. The place is filthy and very unsanitary. Someone should call OSHA for the health risks you're causing not to mention we can't even sit in the break room without the stench from people smoking outside of it which is illegal for that smoke to be entering the building.