Lifetouch Reviews

Reset
2.7
Lifetouch Chairman and CEO Paul Harmel
Paul Harmel

Pros
  • If you love working with kids and taking picture this is the job for you (in 18 reviews)

• The Employee Stock Ownership Program keeps all employees motivated to insure the company does well (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of wear and tear on your vehicle that could be better compensated for (in 13 reviews)

• Very low pay - Management is struggling with technology changes - they need a better vision for the next phase of the company (in 20 reviews)

1. needs to give better compensation.

Current Employee - Veteran Photographer in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Veteran Photographer in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Lifetouch (More than 8 years)

Pros

co workers were great, get to work in a new environment every day, summers and holidays off, great for parents who want to be off when their children are off from school, training provided

Cons

low salary, no raises, not much room for growth, a lot of wear and tear on your car and not compensated well enough for its up keep, hard to have this be the primary source of income

Advice to Management

need to give photographers more opportunity for raises, hard to keep up with cost of living increases

2. Never the Same Day Twice

Former Employee - Photographer - School in Canton, OH
    Former Employee - Photographer - School in Canton, OH

I worked at Lifetouch

Pros

This job was always an adventure. It was fun to work with all the different students, particularly the youngest ones. If you can get used to the very early mornings, the hours are nice because you generally have a lot of the afternoon and all of the evenings for yourself. There is a nice balance between working with a team and working individually. Management was always willing to respond to questions and help support the photographers.

Cons

The job is much more physically demanding than you might expect. Equipment set up and transport is no small task and you spend hours, often without a break, on your feet slightly bent at a camera. Also, the morale of the other employees was often discouraging. Finally, while there is a commitment to quality, there is an equal commitment to speed and when you are always rushing, it's challenging to do your best work.

Advice to Management

Employee staff meetings do nothing to help morale. The training at the beginning of the season is so upbeat. Try to continue that spirit throughout the rest of the season instead of spending so much focus on mistakes or declining sales. Perhaps spring for some food. Also, it would be great if you could reduce your expected student photographed per hour ratio to allow for better quality.

3. Agent

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Muncie, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Muncie, IN

I have been working at Lifetouch

Pros

Great hours during busy season

Cons

Seasonal jib and it could be a better balance if the company would let the NCC do all the calls including sports proms dance and misc

5. Not able to make a living doing this

I worked at Lifetouch full-time

Pros

It was fun to travel and talk to many people. Was fun to stop and see certain things during travel

Cons

This Job simplely didn't create a enviroment to be able to pay the bills. They sent to you to places that had had a shoot for a directory just a year earlier. Most church goes only showed up to be in a directory and to get a free 8x10. If Product didn't sell well you made no money or not even close to enough money to hardly live and get by. Plus they took forever to pay you back the money you had to put out for hotels and gas to travel. I had to pretty much threaten to get my reburshed for my expenses that I had once I had left the company. I had to go on to other employment after only 7 months or lose my house. Banks would not even consider do a refiance with me to help me save my house based on what I made with Lifetouch. Started out with Olan Mills and then it became Lifetouch. Back in 2012. Some employees that had worked for years with Olan mills no longer work for Lifetouch. It wasn't a company that had the employees best interest in mind. They had cheap equipment that was produced by outsourced jobs. I really don't know how anyone could be a fan of this company. They said you were full time but then sometimes more often than not you'd have breaks of two weeks between gigs. You could travel 10 hours for a gig for a three day job and be lucky to make 200 dollars for those three days. Your work day could be about ten hours also on some gigs. My work was considered very good and my skill level great by my peers. I feel like this Day and Age with digital photography everyone is a amatuer anymore and this is a dieing trade.

Advice to Management

Learn to create a enviroment where a employee can actually make a living wage. Lifetouch isn't a good employee owned company to be able for many to survive in.

I'd rather not say.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Lifetouch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee owned, good health ins., great 'retirement' plan, great work environment, the people are nice and it's a very fun place to work.

Cons

Employee owned so if you work at the company long enough (25+ years), you might have a nice retirement, but it's not enough to live on until then. You can gave great skills, great experience and go above and beyond and still not feel valued.

Advice to Management

I think it would be a good idea to listen to the employees (maybe ask them occasionally), take them seriously, and most of all, value them. It's difficult to feel good about working for someone when you feel taken advantage of. Management are living like kings and queens while employees can hardly afford to buy a car to drive to work. Almost everyone has a second job to make ends meet or it's a supplemental job for a couple. You can't live off of the income from this company - and it's not an entry level company like a fast food restaurant.

Worked in Preschool Portraits

I worked at Lifetouch full-time

Pros

Pays for driving time Covers gas expenses Paid for mileage

Cons

Schedules are very last minute and can change last minute as well Company does not consider your safety and sends you to very sketchy areas No insurance is offered, yet you are required to wipe kids noses and be in schools with sick kids Told you are usually done by noon but there are many days that you are asked to stay for pm classes Very early mornings, sometimes leaving by 4:30am Company may send you 100+ miles in each direction for one day

Advice to Management

Do more to consider the safety of your employees when scheduling them in high crime areas.

8. ESOP company is an industry leader

I have been working at Lifetouch

Pros

Lifetouch is an ESOP company, which means the employees own the organization. 20%+ of your annual compensation is put into stock. When you leave, your vested portion is given to you. Example: Make $30,000 this year, and you'll get about $6,000 in stock. After you are fully vested (7 years), that money is now yours. Unless I am offered a job with compensation about 25% what I currently earn, there is no reason to leave. We have a performance culture. You must perform at a high level or your job will be at risk. The peers with whom I work are kind, and there is premium placed on EQ. No high drama in meetings, just a commitment to get moving and get work done. I rated compensation as five stars assuming you are full-time. For seasonal workers, that star rating would be lower. Work/Life balance is tricky. In "the season" there is no balance -- it's all work. In off seasons, it's easy to find time to vacation, etc. We also work with institutions we are proud to help -- schools and churches.

Cons

The picture industry is changing, and there is stress associated with that. There is an inherent instability in the workforce when you can not be sure about if you will have long-term future or whether your position will be eliminated in the next round of budget planning. Our company is seasonal, which means that many positions are not year-round. Difficult to make a career out of a part-time job.

Advice to Management

Look beyond imaging as our only revenue stream. As an industry leader, be bold.

9. photographer

I worked at Lifetouch

Pros

fun interacting with customer families

Cons

travel and overnight stays required

Advice to Management

be upfront about travel life

10. Declining industry

Former Employee - Photo Manager
    Former Employee - Photo Manager

I worked at Lifetouch full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great employees and fun environment. Learn about the industry, work based on a school calendar. Great for those who like variety in their work days.

Cons

Company views are changing as economy and consumer interest declines. Poor decisions are being made and innovative products and services are not being implemented fast enough.

Advice to Management

Territory management should play more than a financial balancing role. Managers that are more involved and show they care and value their staff are way more successful overall due to greater employee engagement and retention in comparison to those who only care about the bottom line and looking good on paper. There should also be more consistency in territory operations from city to city.

11. Life at Lifetouch

Current Employee - Photographer
    Current Employee - Photographer

I have been working at Lifetouch part-time

Pros

Taking pictures Work environment Fun kids to work with

Cons

Rude customers Sales averages can be hard to maintain No commission

Advice to Management

Push for appointments

RSS Feed </> Embed