Lifetouch

Lifetouch Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Lifetouch Chairman and CEO Paul Harmel

Paul Harmel

Pros
  • working with kids and families, getting to do what I love (photography) (in 17 reviews)

• ESOP (Employee Stock Ownership Program) (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of wear and tear on your vehicle that could be better compensated for (in 13 reviews)

• Taking 5% from peoples already low pay in order to buy other companies instead of taking stock in their employees (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company and nice helpful management.

JCPenney Photographer (Current Employee)

ProsFun and always learning new skills.

ConsPay scale is rough for starters. Stressful situations and under staffed at times.

It was okay, could have been better....

Seasonal Sales Associate/Photographer (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThe best part of working there was interacting with the babies, kids, and parents.
    I love seeing their faces light up when you do the different enhancements on the photographs.
    They pay more than $7.25 but, could be a little more due to everything you have to go through.
    It's a good job if you are in high school...

ConsPart-time hours
    No proper training
    Call-in shift run rapid
    No hours

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should train the new employees earlier than Oct. to be more prepared for the Christmas rush.

Bought my company out and then cut my pay and benefits

Portrait Consultant Church Division (Former Employee) Greenville, SC

ProsI do not have anything positive from my experience. Bad pay, Bad management, miserable coworkers. The benefits were awful. I was with a competitor of this company for 10 years and then my company was bought out, they cut our pay tremendously. I was one of the top performers and took about 40% less. I put my 2 week notice in in august and left mid august. In November they finally canceled my insurance leaving me with a large bill because they paid it through November.

ConsThe people that do all of the work get NONE of the reward. NEVER work for this company! The quality of their product is crap. The employees seem to all hate their jobs, at least the ones I met while I was with lifetouch.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about the people who do all the work a little more. You might see more profit!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Management concerned mostly about money

Photographer & Sales Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsOpportunity to pursue photography as a career, without the hassle of owning your own studio

Conscompensation is exclusively commission; long hours, a lot of travel for low income; management more concerned with bringing money into the company than with the photographers; work is sporadic; quality of the photography and the photographic instruction is lower than they think it is - same level as mall studio photography

Advice to Senior Managementfocus more on the photographers, less on the bottom line; treat employees as valuable parts of the business, not as replaceable cogs in a money-generating machine

Inside Sales Lifetouch Preschool Portraits

Inside Sales Lifetouch Preschool Portraits (Former Employee) Eden Prairie, MN

ProsHours are good M-F never any weekends, Nice corporate office building w/cafeteria

ConsThe job itself sucks, you have to make 100 calls minimum per day. The commission is really low and you make about 1/3 of what the outside sales reps make and you have higher goals than outside sales reps. So you have to sell more but get paid way less compared to outside sales reps. I would not recommend unless you like talking on the phone and getting rejected by people all day long.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to keep employees for this job you have to pay more.

Great Company, difficult with communication

Photography Sales Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsGreat resources within the company for learning, always room for improving paycheck, great working with other photographers

Conscommunication with managers/being lied to often, travel per diems sucked, no notice sometimes on travel

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication needs to be better between managers to the lower photographers and to maintain the overall company polices instead of making of your own rules that go against what the company says.

Run ..Dont walk away from this job!

Photographer/Sales Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsI like that we work independently and that we can take creative portraits.

ConsWhere do I begin? As a photographer/sales specialist we are sent to churches where you don't stand a chance of making money. Sometimes in the ghetto. The marketing rep in my area couldn't care less about our safety or if we make money. The company standard is that we set up at noon when arriving at a church. She will have us set up at ten am with the promise we will get done earlier but that never happens. She also has us start earlier than any other district nation wide on Saturdays. Complaining does no good.
    We have a minimum wage guarantee but wage adjustments are supposedly done quarterly. It is so confusing it is really difficult to know if you ever get minimum wage. The most frustrating thing for me is the company pays us according to our sales average. If we are sent to a poor area and our average drops below 75% we make 12% commission instead of 16%. Now we are not only having a bad day but are further penalized by making less commission. Then to top it off..if we go to a better church within the same week, we have to sell a lot more in order to get our average up to 16%. I am out of here as soon as I find a better job. I am sent hours away from home week after week even though there are many churches in the city where I live.
    Another problem is when you have co-workers who don't keep up. If we pick up extra sits to keep us on schedule it hurts our average. It is very unfair to get paid less for working harder.

Advice to Senior ManagementWithout photographers Lifetouch would not exist. Give us the respect and pay we deserve.
    Make the church consultants more accountable for the churches they enlist.

Territory Rep

Territory Representative (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, employee owned, awesome headquarters in MN if you get to work there, and nationwide coverage.

ConsWas part of the Herff Jones buy out and was somewhat deceived to sign on to the company only to have them take my accounts and then reduce my territory, pay, and title. Not honest about how they were going to go about the change. Always vague with their answers. Training is done by a guy who needs to get back out on the street and just see how his techniques don't work in all parts of the country.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet on the street with your people and reconnect with the customers and what the sales force is up against. Let the rep have more control over the process that happens in their own territory.

Better than not working, but not by much.

JCPenney Photographer (Former Employee) Glendale, CA

ProsEntry level job, good if you wanted to gain experience.

ConsThe "customer is always right" mentality resulted in a lot of customers treating the employees pretty poorly. Morale was low and resentment was high. It was ridiculous what customers expected for the prices they were willing to pay. Also, it was pretty clear that management didn't value employees as people, but only as part of the bottom line.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you treated your employees better instead of catering to unreasonable customers, your employees may last a little longer.

I Love the company and the people, but the corporate leadership needs to go

ProsThe people, the passion, the commitment for what we do. Capturing wonderful memories. It is a wonderful place if you are into the mission of the company.

Consevery 3 years, new president in the corner office at the school studios division. Why? Because Paul Harmel, CEO of Lifetouch corporate, has no idea what he is doing. The job has passed him by. He knows it but won't admit it and retire. His cronies are on the board and they follow his lead. Typical corporate board. They enjoy the perks, and won't 'do in' one of their own. As an employee owned company, there is no way to bring in an outsider that can shake up the leadership. It needs to happen. Harmel is a disaster for the company. 8 Presidents in the biggest division in 10 years. That is not where the problem lies. it is with Harmel and the board.

Advice to Senior ManagementEasy. Force Harmel to retire, and turn over a lot of the board. Get some forward thinking, technology savvy board members and leaders to drive the company forward. Harmel needs to go. NOW.

Worked for Lifetouch? Contribute to the Community!