Lifetouch Reviews

Updated August 21, 2014

2.8

Lifetouch Chairman and CEO Paul Harmel
Paul Harmel

Pros
  • working with kids and families, getting to do what I love (photography) (in 17 reviews)

• ESOP (Employee Stock Ownership Program) (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of wear and tear on your vehicle that could be better compensated for (in 13 reviews)

• Taking 5% from peoples already low pay in order to buy other companies instead of taking stock in their employees (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Do not waste your time

Former Employee - Preschool Photographer  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Preschool Photographer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Lifetouch full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Perfect for stay home mom looking for extra cash for a a year or two

Cons

Benefits are ridiculous , pay and compensation for using your own vehicle is a scam and the constant pressure to photograph as fast as possible so the company can pay as little as possible is a slap in the face to their schools and a lack of respect towards them and the parents .They expect photographers to be available for them during the season but have no compensation in place if a school cancel , so you'll be left with no income. You'll have to fill unemployment when the season is over if you want to make it for a few months , that is no a way to make a living . The idea is to get as much as possible from the photographers and inflate the retirement funds for those vested and after being treated like dirt for a couple of years , people quit before they are eligible and they go on hiring new people and doing the same thing . If you like photography , find somewhere else to work , you will end up hating taking pictures .

None , I believe its a lost cause .........

Fun job, low pay

Former Employee - Photographer - School  in  Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - Photographer - School in Aurora, IL

I worked at Lifetouch part-time for less than a year

Pros

Each day is different. Fun job. Great co-workers.

Cons

Low pay for school photographers. Office staff gets paid more. Can be very stressful.

Pay your photographers!

It was fun, educational, stressful, tiring...a rollercoaster

Former Employee - Team Member  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Team Member in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Lifetouch part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great for college students, some of the guest were simply amazing. You get to see your work come to life and let your creativity come to life

Cons

I had about 4 different managers in the 3+ years I was employed. The managers didn't treat team members well AT ALL!

n/a

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Management is sloppy, Customers are unappreciative, Out of date technology

Former Employee - Photographer & Sales Associate  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Photographer & Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Lifetouch part-time for less than a year

Pros

You get to have fun playing with kids and creating memories that people will cherish for a lifetime. You can have flexible hours.

Cons

Kids can be horrible. Parents can be worse. The management is set up in a way that is not supportive of growth or learning. Often the staff is under-trained and alone. Many times I would find myself alone in the studio trying to manage a studio but not having training for that level of work. Technology doesn't just often break down, it constantly breaks down and often they take forever to fix it. Customers can be unreasonable and management will yell at you if you are not selling enough product, even though they are offering "affordable" photography. Most managers strive for a $90 sales average, yet they offer $20 packages and coupons that make photos $4 a sheet. Often the photographers and sales associates get blamed even though they sell a mass amount of product and have high customer satisfaction.

Spend more time training in the camera room. Find more unique props. Go over new ways to make customers satisfied rather than just focusing on the price tag on their sale.

good part time job

Current Employee - Photographer - School
    Current Employee - Photographer - School

I have been working at Lifetouch part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Employee owned company with a great employee stock ownership plan. Good company culture, management and coworkers. Workdays usually end early. Company pays for travel time and buys gas. Seasonal with much of May, June and July off.

Cons

Part time and difficult to average more than about 20-25 hrs/wk. Days start early, sometimes with 6 - 6:30 start times preceded by an hour travel time. Seasonal means little or no income from this job in May, June and July.

Offer merit raises

I wish it were better

Current Employee - Photographer & Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Photographer & Sales Associate

I have been working at Lifetouch part-time for less than a year

Pros

Okay pay.
    Get to take pictures of cute kids.

Cons

The parents that come to the studios are crazy because they are mostly moms. They think it's okay to come late for their appointments on busy days and then flip out on you for not being able to take them in.

The hours are horrible if you aren't a store manager... they only give the emplyees 0-13 hours a week and then put you on call all the other days, but the on call never happens so you sit around waiting everyday. They need to make the job more about the employees and not have the managers be the only one with hours.

Try working on making it so the managers aren't the only ones working most of the week. It's not right that there is additional employees only so that the managers can have 2 days off a week. Many employees end up not working at all or only a few hours a week.

Great company and nice helpful management.

Current Employee - JCPenney Photographer
    Current Employee - JCPenney Photographer

I have been working at Lifetouch part-time

Pros

Fun and always learning new skills.

Cons

Pay scale is rough for starters. Stressful situations and under staffed at times.

It was okay, could have been better....

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate/Photographer  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate/Photographer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Lifetouch part-time for less than a year

Pros

The best part of working there was interacting with the babies, kids, and parents.
    I love seeing their faces light up when you do the different enhancements on the photographs.
    They pay more than $7.25 but, could be a little more due to everything you have to go through.
    It's a good job if you are in high school...

Cons

Part-time hours
    No proper training
    Call-in shift run rapid
    No hours

They should train the new employees earlier than Oct. to be more prepared for the Christmas rush.

Bought my company out and then cut my pay and benefits

Former Employee - Portrait Consultant Church Division  in  Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Portrait Consultant Church Division in Greenville, SC

I worked at Lifetouch full-time for less than a year

Pros

I do not have anything positive from my experience. Bad pay, Bad management, miserable coworkers. The benefits were awful. I was with a competitor of this company for 10 years and then my company was bought out, they cut our pay tremendously. I was one of the top performers and took about 40% less. I put my 2 week notice in in august and left mid august. In November they finally canceled my insurance leaving me with a large bill because they paid it through November.

Cons

The people that do all of the work get NONE of the reward. NEVER work for this company! The quality of their product is crap. The employees seem to all hate their jobs, at least the ones I met while I was with lifetouch.

Think about the people who do all the work a little more. You might see more profit!

Management concerned mostly about money

Current Employee - Photographer & Sales Associate  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Photographer & Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Lifetouch full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Opportunity to pursue photography as a career, without the hassle of owning your own studio

Cons

compensation is exclusively commission; long hours, a lot of travel for low income; management more concerned with bringing money into the company than with the photographers; work is sporadic; quality of the photography and the photographic instruction is lower than they think it is - same level as mall studio photography

focus more on the photographers, less on the bottom line; treat employees as valuable parts of the business, not as replaceable cogs in a money-generating machine

Worked for Lifetouch? Contribute to the Community!