Lifetouch

Updated December 15, 2014
2.8

Lifetouch Chairman and CEO Paul Harmel
Paul Harmel

Pros
  • working with kids and families, getting to do what I love (photography) (in 18 reviews)

• Employee Stock Ownership Program, the people you work with, and making memories that people will remember for a lifetime (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of wear and tear on your vehicle that could be better compensated for (in 13 reviews)

• Taking 5% from peoples already low pay in order to buy other companies instead of taking stock in their employees (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

This job is not hard to learn.

I have been working at Lifetouch

Pros

Its easy to get hired.

Cons

Pay is too low. The company expects strong team ethics, but at the rate they pay it is hard to be that enthusiatsic.

Pay your employees more, and hire more professional people.

I had an enjoyable year as a photographer with Lifetouch

Former Employee - Photographer in South Plainfield, NJ
    Former Employee - Photographer in South Plainfield, NJ

I worked at Lifetouch part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great training, likable and caring superiors, and amazing benefits package if you stay with Lifetouch long-term. They taught me how to be a better photographer in certain applications, which has benefitted me at other jobs since.

Cons

Pay is on the lower side, hauling equipment, relying on other members of your team to help control flow. If there is a problem or another team member calls out, you may have a bad day at work.

Good so far

Current Employee - Photographer & Sales Associate in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Photographer & Sales Associate in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Lifetouch part-time (less than an year)

Pros

i like the management so far.

Cons

I'm here for seasonal and I just started.

Fun Seasonal Gig

Current Employee - Photographer
    Current Employee - Photographer

I have been working at Lifetouch part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good Hours, management works around your other committments

Cons

Lugging around equipment and setting up and breaking down.

A glimpse of the wizard behind the curtain

Current Employee - Photographer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Photographer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Lifetouch part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Loved meeting new people. Learned all aspects of building a sales presentation and how to execute it to maximize the companies profit margin.

Cons

The job is all about sales. Very little of it has to do with photography which is sad considering that it is their main product. As an employee you are trained to sell. You stand on your feet all day with little to no breaks. The customer gets a ten minute photo session maximum then you are expected to spend 40 minutes up-selling the customer from a pre-written script.

You have a great product, so it is a shame that you tarnish your reputation with the hard sales pitch. As a customer, I was aware of it and grew to dislike your companies from the school pictures I was pressured to buy twice to three times a year. I only agreed to work for your company because you are the only company left standing after you bought up and bankrupted all of the independent studios. Your finished product is stale, old and, unprofessional and my suggestion to you as a customer is to work on creating better photographic images to improve your image. You can do this by replacing your old backdrops and boring framed images with fresh new options the customer expects. The company is highly unorganized and ungrateful to both the customer and the employee and I highly recommend to anyone who is looking for a job in photography not to work here. Photography is just a means to an end for this company.

Under paid and under appreciated.

I worked at Lifetouch

Pros

The only thing I really appreciated about this job was not being micro-managed. But that also came with its cons, because they gave you so much independence after training, the good people wound up picking up the slack for lazy employees.

Cons

I did not feel appreciated. As #2 in sales out of 30 photographers I received no benefits or perks to motivate a good work ethic and motivation to increase sales averages.

Management was great! They were helpful and understanding but they weren't given the power to do anything about the complaints of employees because of the corporate structure and bottom line.

Too much responsibility for minimum wage.

Current Employee - Underclass Photographer in Chico, CA
    Current Employee - Underclass Photographer in Chico, CA

I have been working at Lifetouch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I get paid to travel, so that's nice. Also working in schools with children is nice as well, however that's about all I can think of when it comes to pros.

Cons

Lets start with the compensation. As a photographer at life touch you are paid minimum wage, and don't expect that to change even after you're told that it will. Me as well as many of my fellow employees have been promised pay raises for a very long time. We have never seen them Every time one of us asks management what is going on, we are given no real answer and another promise of, "You'll probably get it starting next week, don't worry." As an underclass photographer you are not just a photographer, but also a driver, a customer service representative, a money collector, a laborer (not just building the set, also building 30 foot by 20 foot risers among other things), and a money counter, all for minimum wage. Now lets take a look at the equipment. Don't expect to ever come across a 100% working set. Out of the 13 sets the territory I work at owns, not one works perfectly. Either the stands are broken, the DLC (power box) doesn't seem to work, the fans on the lights don't work and overheat then melt, or the power cords catch on fire (not kidding). Or how about the vans? Lifetouch will rent most of their vans from a vendor, which is nice, however they do own a few of their own. The two vans they do own aren't kept up at all. The tires are bald and have leaks, the alignment is way off, and the brake pads are completely worn, among other things. Even after numerous promises from the territory manager to fix the vans as soon as possible because, "safety is our number one priority here at Lifetouch," nothing has happened. Now my last gripe, the hours. Never ever was I told that most of my days would be 12 hours+. Not once. They will schedule a photographer to work an underclass job, a sports job, and a dance all in the same day, and expect you to get off work around 10 or 11 pm, and come back in at 4:30 am! Since we were short on photographers this season we were told that we were not allowed to get sick because we are needed. One person did get sick and was gullted into working through it.

Honestly, I love the job, I just can not stand the way that the way the photographers are treated. There needs to be more accountability on the Territory Managers end. Also, please consider the way you are compensating your photographers. In my territory two people we given Visa gift cards in lieu of back pay because the Territory Manager didn't want to tell corporate that he wasn't giving his photographers they pay they were promised.

Ehhh

I have been working at Lifetouch

Pros

you get to work with different people in a different place every day.

Cons

Pay sucks, no raises, hours aren't dependable.

Appreciate your employees more.

Fluff

Former Employee - Photography Manufacturers in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Photography Manufacturers in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Lifetouch as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The upside is the job isn't difficult
    i got to look at photos all day

Cons

The area is so cold you stay with a cold. They promise hours but deliver them from week to week evenly. The seasoned employees are not helpful or friendly at all. Supervisors tend to be very racially biased therefore barely speak to the Caucasian associates.

Take a look at what's being allowed on your floor. . A racially biased lead is a HR complaint waiting & possible lawsuit. No one gets anywhere alone. . Team is just that. If you're giving hours, give them to the whole area NOT just certain few. . It's unfair.

Great at first...then went WAY downhill

Former Employee - Internal Communications in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Internal Communications in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Lifetouch full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pretty good company culture. Decent work/life balance in certain departments. Mostly very pleasant, friendly people to work with. Nice benefits and PTO.

Cons

General cons would be that it is a very slow decision making company. I would also say that leadership in certain areas could receive much more guidance and training before being put into positions of management. The culture was great at first, but then it became a very fakey and artificial environment. As you will see below, I was in a hostile work environment for most of my time at Lifetouch.

My department had a new manager, and this was their first managerial role. For someone just starting out in the real world of full-time employment, I was horribly verbally mistreated almost daily. I was given tasks I was not able to ask questions without being made to feel like a fool from my manager. I would go into meetings unprepared at times because my manager would not divulge to me all the facts that I would need to know for the meeting, and then they would be disrespectful to me in front of other coworkers at times in these meetings. Due to the treatment I received while working in this department I developed high anxiety which greatly impacted my work performance every day. I would talk with my HR rep about these ongoings, and no attempts were made to try and solve what was going on before I was laid off due to company restructuring.

I worked in another department before this as an intern, and it was a much different environment. My team and my director were very kind, easy to work with and were great to learn from.

All in all, Lifetouch as a whole isn't too bad of a company to work for - just be careful about what department/area you end up in as all of them clearly don't make the best decisions about who they move up to positions of increased power. The departments and HR team should be better about making sure employees are not mistreated and are comfortable going to work and doing their job.

I would strongly advise management to evaluate their employees in more depth before moving them up to a managerial role. The departments and HR team should be better about making sure employees are not mistreated and are comfortable going to work and doing their job.