Lifetouch

www.lifetouch.com
Profile Unclaimed

Photography

I worked at Lifetouch

Pros

Interacting with people evey day

Cons

When I Dont have the right information to do my job

its not that great

I have been working at Lifetouch

Pros

It's fun to take pictures and make people smile

Cons

The pay isn't great, and unless it's the holiday, you're not garunteed hours. Throughout the summer I was always on call and sometimes didn't work for weeks. All they care about pushing people to buy more even if they don't want to. And anyone can do it. You dont need the skill. Even if you go to school for it

Good and Bad

Former Employee - Photographer in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Photographer in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Lifetouch full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you like to travel, this is the job for you. Everyday you in a different place.
    meet a lot of people
    Without realizing I actually laerned about photography
    a lot of hours

Cons

long hours
    no real advancement, after about a year I moved from being a photographer to team leader. Nowhere to go after that
    Pay even for a team leader isn't enough for the work you do
    Shoot a lot people in one day
    Sometimes the location is really far
    have to use own car
    seasonal- to me this was a pro and con because I was able to other things as well, but I hated applying for unemployment

Gotta like sales!

Former Employee - Photography Sales Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Photography Sales Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at Lifetouch full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Meet a variety of people to photograph. Opportunity to be creative. Different locations and if you like travel and a variety of regions every week. Good job for those who enjoy sales.

Cons

Erratic schedule which means erratic earnings. Minimal travel expense reimbursement. There are times when there
    is no work scheduled. Sometimes unrealistic expectations from managers.

Provide a minimum pay for each day. Draw against sales commission. More reimbursement for travel expense.

Great and interesting time spent

Current Employee - Retoucher in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Retoucher in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Lifetouch part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great products and you have an impact on how both of those are presented. Really good at time-off policies and laid back friendly type environment. Professional is present in the product and services offered, though this is very family originated work culture (pictures right?). Yes Employee Owned Stock can be nice.

Cons

One of the Editors is still going through changes and therefore creates setbacks at times. It is hard to edit when things do not work the way you thought and have "backdoors" or different ways of editing are sometimes is a must to execute. If you are easily stressed out, then this might not be the best for you (yes Temporary layoffs are not desirable).

Keep supporting "people's times" and quality of the product. Your feedback is more helpful than you think; however, people will always like "lime light" if you give them the ability to talk in a group setting. Keep working at keeping the drama out but yet increasing revenue and PAY. They are just pictures but at the end of the day that product last potentially a lifetime...

A lot of fun and a lot of people!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Corona, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Corona, CA

I worked at Lifetouch part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible Hours, Paid Training, Great Company Culture, Paid Mileage, Lots of overtime (Voluntary), Company Socials, Great Advancement Opportunities, Employee Owned.

I had a lot of fun at this job. Management was great and flexible with school. They pay really well (I made more money on mileage than on my hourly) and have a great company culture if you get along with people well!

Cons

You need a reliable car, Seasonal Work

Some managers are just, unsociable, which is interesting because you're working with kids. Sometimes you have a lot of down time at a job, which gets very frustrating and boring, even though you're being paid for it. (I once went to a job and literally sat for 8 hours with nothing to do but set up and tear down. Co-worker, Manager and I just watched movies). Marketing needs to step up their game to get the Seniors to come in and take their pictures.

MARKETING NEEDS AN OVERHAUL. Simple calls and one or two posters in the halls of 2 acre schools isn't enough to get the Seniors to come in to take their portraits. Other than that, it's a great place to work!

Life at Lifetouch

Former Employee - Photographer - School in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Photographer - School in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Lifetouch part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Paid training. New York employees are paid $120 per day and more professional, many have been in territory for more than 10 years. This was a fun environment when I was still learning basic studio photography. There was a sense of pride in the profession in NY. However, it was drastically different experience in California territories.

Cons

Horrible Pay and hours, no gas compensation, disorganized staff, poor management. Many 'photographers' are not artists or photographers. Many company employees on drugs. Varies each region and state. New York employees are paid $120 per day and more professional, many have been in territory for more than 10 years. However California pays $10 hour and little hours, no breaks and high stress! Never know the schedule until the week before. Also there is a high turn around rate, which also makes life more stressful to cover extra shifts.

Take drug tests of employees, stop hiring idiots, hire real photographers, offer higher pay and set hour schedule, have contests and prizes that motivates employees to perform at a higher rate.

Quit after 2 weeks

Former Employee - JCPenney Photographer in Salem, NH
    Former Employee - JCPenney Photographer in Salem, NH

I worked at Lifetouch

Pros

I did meet some really great coworkers I was sad to leave.

Cons

I can put up with a lot, but after two weeks, I could no longer handle working here. There was zero consistency with anything - hours, training, pay (despite being largely overqualified I was only make 8.50 an hour), what have you. I only ever found out what days I was working by getting texts from my boss with less than twelve hours notice, asking if I was available despite giving him my availability. Then, I had one day of training in the store I was hired for, and the rest of the time spent at a smaller store because it was more convenient for the manager. I was told that I would be slowly integrated into being responsible for taking photographs and selling prints - that I would have someone with more training with me to make sure that the customer was getting their money's worth. I showed up for my 'last day of training' the manager wasn't there and I had to do multiple shoots alone and was forced to create 'specialty prints' even when customers only wanted a couple of basic prints because the system used to create/sell prints is based on wringing as much money out of a customer.
    I was made to feel really uncomfortable during the photography training when the only photography we went over were poses of 'mom, dad and baby' with one other young girl (who quit soon after) and the manager on a day when the studio was closed.

Account Executive

I worked at Lifetouch

Pros

Hours are good. Mon.-Fri. Weekends and holidays off.

Cons

Low pay. No advancement opportunities.

Promote a team environment.

I Want My Years Back

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Lifetouch full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the best people in my life I met while working here.
    ESOP is cool if you can stand being there long enough to see it grow.
    I did learn a great deal about managing difficult personalities in a work environment.

Cons

I was charged with doing 60 hours of work per week in 40 hours. It's like there was never any opportunity to succeed.

Very little/poor training. It's all sink or swim.

Bonuses are impossible to attain. So it felt like there was no point in trying.

No support from management. Lots of finger pointing.

It's very well known that it's next to impossible to get fired. So coworkers that aren't performing aren't held accountable because it never leads anywhere. Everyone else has to pick up the slack.

No opportunity to grow. Raises are laughable.

One particular HR Rep was too focused on being friends with all of the managers. She was untrustworthy and would repeat any and everything discussed. So the outlet employees are supposed to have was not an option.

Create real opportunities.
    Empower employees.
    Try giving attainable goals.
    Stop gossiping so much.
    Stop hiring your family members.