Lifetouch Reviews

Updated September 19, 2014
2.9

Lifetouch Chairman and CEO Paul Harmel
Paul Harmel

Pros
  • working with kids and families, getting to do what I love (photography) (in 17 reviews)

• ESOP (Employee Stock Ownership Program) (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of wear and tear on your vehicle that could be better compensated for (in 13 reviews)

• Taking 5% from peoples already low pay in order to buy other companies instead of taking stock in their employees (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Bought my company out and then cut my pay and benefits

Former Employee - Portrait Consultant Church Division  in  Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Portrait Consultant Church Division in Greenville, SC

I worked at Lifetouch full-time for less than a year

Pros

I do not have anything positive from my experience. Bad pay, Bad management, miserable coworkers. The benefits were awful. I was with a competitor of this company for 10 years and then my company was bought out, they cut our pay tremendously. I was one of the top performers and took about 40% less. I put my 2 week notice in in august and left mid august. In November they finally canceled my insurance leaving me with a large bill because they paid it through November.

Cons

The people that do all of the work get NONE of the reward. NEVER work for this company! The quality of their product is crap. The employees seem to all hate their jobs, at least the ones I met while I was with lifetouch.

Think about the people who do all the work a little more. You might see more profit!

Inside Sales Lifetouch Preschool Portraits

Former Employee - Inside Sales Lifetouch Preschool Portraits  in  Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Lifetouch Preschool Portraits in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Lifetouch full-time for less than a year

Pros

Hours are good M-F never any weekends, Nice corporate office building w/cafeteria

Cons

The job itself sucks, you have to make 100 calls minimum per day. The commission is really low and you make about 1/3 of what the outside sales reps make and you have higher goals than outside sales reps. So you have to sell more but get paid way less compared to outside sales reps. I would not recommend unless you like talking on the phone and getting rejected by people all day long.

If you want to keep employees for this job you have to pay more.

Great Company, difficult with communication

Former Employee - Photography Sales Specialist
    Former Employee - Photography Sales Specialist

I worked at Lifetouch full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great resources within the company for learning, always room for improving paycheck, great working with other photographers

Cons

communication with managers/being lied to often, travel per diems sucked, no notice sometimes on travel

Communication needs to be better between managers to the lower photographers and to maintain the overall company polices instead of making of your own rules that go against what the company says.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Run ..Dont walk away from this job!

Current Employee - Photographer/Sales Specialist
    Current Employee - Photographer/Sales Specialist

I have been working at Lifetouch full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I like that we work independently and that we can take creative portraits.

Cons

Where do I begin? As a photographer/sales specialist we are sent to churches where you don't stand a chance of making money. Sometimes in the ghetto. The marketing rep in my area couldn't care less about our safety or if we make money. The company standard is that we set up at noon when arriving at a church. She will have us set up at ten am with the promise we will get done earlier but that never happens. She also has us start earlier than any other district nation wide on Saturdays. Complaining does no good.
    We have a minimum wage guarantee but wage adjustments are supposedly done quarterly. It is so confusing it is really difficult to know if you ever get minimum wage. The most frustrating thing for me is the company pays us according to our sales average. If we are sent to a poor area and our average drops below 75% we make 12% commission instead of 16%. Now we are not only having a bad day but are further penalized by making less commission. Then to top it off..if we go to a better church within the same week, we have to sell a lot more in order to get our average up to 16%. I am out of here as soon as I find a better job. I am sent hours away from home week after week even though there are many churches in the city where I live.
    Another problem is when you have co-workers who don't keep up. If we pick up extra sits to keep us on schedule it hurts our average. It is very unfair to get paid less for working harder.

Without photographers Lifetouch would not exist. Give us the respect and pay we deserve.
    Make the church consultants more accountable for the churches they enlist.

Many great experiences with Lifetouch.

Former Employee - Business and Technical Analyst  in  Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Business and Technical Analyst in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Lifetouch full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great Benefits if you are in the right position. Love the ESOP. Love the people and working with the clients.

Cons

Lacks some extended visionary direction. Management not willing to advance in the direction to offer long term business stability.

Losing to many very good people because of old values and lack of complete support in moving forward.

Better than not working, but not by much.

Former Employee - JCPenney Photographer  in  Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - JCPenney Photographer in Glendale, CA

I worked at Lifetouch part-time for less than a year

Pros

Entry level job, good if you wanted to gain experience.

Cons

The "customer is always right" mentality resulted in a lot of customers treating the employees pretty poorly. Morale was low and resentment was high. It was ridiculous what customers expected for the prices they were willing to pay. Also, it was pretty clear that management didn't value employees as people, but only as part of the bottom line.

If you treated your employees better instead of catering to unreasonable customers, your employees may last a little longer.

Photography and Sales

Former Employee - Studio Associate  in  Miamisburg, OH
    Former Employee - Studio Associate in Miamisburg, OH

I worked at Lifetouch part-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with babies and young children all day. Sales are easy if you are in an area with good economic growth. You can work at more than one studio for extra hours if you don't mind driving extra.

Cons

Hours are never steady and change drastically throughout the year. Ratings are based on how much you make per sale, which may be out of your control due to the need to pull in random customers who are not prepared to spend much. You may be forced to work alone, which requires always you to complete all studio functions without delay (answering phone calls, shooting sessions, greetings customers, booking appointments, selling photographs...). Some studios were less professional than others, with drama happening often.

Consider smaller training groups. Also take into consideration the number of pulls a person sells when calculating their weekly/monthly averages. Make more studio members full-time employees so they have more benefits and higher work efficacy. Promote your studios through local television advertisement during slow times of the year.

It was an awesome opportunity to work for a company doing rewarding work.

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at Lifetouch full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great team environment, very supporting. Lots of opportunities to grow and learn new skills in different departments. Freedom and flexability that is traditionally associated with an outside sales position. Challenging and demanding for part of the year and more relaxed in the non-school year times (summer, Christmas, etc.)

Cons

Durring slow times one is required to do work that may be out of normal duties. Lots of wear and tear on your vehicle that could be better compensated for.

It was a phenomenal experience with a rather odd culture.

Former Employee - Director of Sales  in  Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Director of Sales in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Lifetouch full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great profession, wonderful people in the field making photographs, good compensation and terrific ESOP retirement plan, health benefits and vacation.

Cons

Inbred culture, difficult to move up the corporate ladder in the home office. Promotions come from upper management friends vs. hiring the truly qualified individual.

Move faster so you don't end up like Eastman Kodak.

Good experience but seasonal work for school photographers

Former Employee - Photographer - School  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Photographer - School in Washington, DC

I worked at Lifetouch part-time for more than a year

Pros

Quality training program and support from leads and area manager. Enjoyed the territory meetings 2x per year, strong company name (in business for years), profit sharing plan.

Cons

Seasonal work, lots of driving (although you are paid for mileage and drive time). Low pay. Very early hours.

Help school photographers find other work within the company during the off season so they do not have to collect unemployent.

Worked for Lifetouch? Contribute to the Community!