Lighting Science Group

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Steve Marton

The company that could have been

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Satellite Beach, FL

ProsLSG used to have a devoted and harmonious group of hard working employees, that acted like a well oiled machine to grow the company to its full potential. The promise of what LSG could do to improve life on earth, and the promise of products that had limitless potential was very real, once upon a time.

ConsEight CEOs later, the vision is lost, the family is gone. LSG had a chance to beat the big guys, but after many changes in direction and a lot of executive ego battling, Cree, Philips and GE have already caught up and passed anything LSG could have been.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest about the lack of future of the company with those that remain. Reflect on the lost opportunity for so many, and try to take lessons from these failures to any endeavors in the future so that hundreds of people don't go through this again.

A mixed bag

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Satellite Beach, FL

ProsCompensation, co-workers, an opportunity to make a difference in the industry.

ConsLack of communication on the direction and status of the company. We were given mixed messages about how the company was performing: at internal meetings everything was great, but quarterly/annual reports said we were losing our shirts.

Advice to Senior ManagementVirtually the entire senior management team has been replaced multiple times, with one very notable exception. Maybe that exception should be reconsidered.

Oh yeah, focus on making a profit for a change.

Unrealized Potential

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreen technology company with some very good innovations in an industry (LED Lighting) that is on the verge of expansion.

ConsRevolving top level management. Flavor of the month CEO. No stability at top level. Constantly changing vision and direction of company.

Company has not been able to realize its full potential over the years. Company should be more established by now.

Layoffs and outsourcing is the new mandate of the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people but constant worry

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people, good pay, great benefits

ConsConstant worry of lay off

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communications and support

New CEO - Hoping for a big turn around

No Comment (Former Employee) Melbourne, FL

ProsLoved the products, people and company vision

ConsPoor financial decisions, no consequences for bad decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementI hope the new ceo (as of November 2013) will use his experience as a turn around consultant to fix the major financial deficits facing this company. Moving everything offshore is not the answer and I hope the company stays in Florida and maintains its culture and vision.

out of control. Too many people in over their heads

N/A (Former Employee) Satellite Beach, FL

Prospaycheck, location, non-management personnel, benefits

Consfree for all between depts., no stability

Advice to Senior Managementtop heavy, Industry outsiders,

This is Not the Place to Be if You're in Operations

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Satellite Beach, FL

ProsThere are some very intelligent people who work here. The mission (as it currently stands) is nothing short of amazing.

ConsIn Operations, there is no professional behavior. Some employees think it's perfectly okay to scream and yell in the work place. There is very limited to no project management experience, which is a huge detrator when trying to being new products to market. There is a revolving door policy to management, if the new investors/consultancts don't like you, they simply fire you. I can't imagine the amount of money we have spent in severance packages, plus relocation expenses.

Advice to Senior ManagementDeadlines have been set and ignored for improving our financial position. We are still bleeding money. Improve communication among the departments. You had a third party conduct an employee satisfaction survey and the results were abysmal - what are you doing to improve?

Good company, management could be improved

ProsGreat innovation team
    Solid financial backing
    Decent salary
    Great medical benefits

ConsConstant management turnover
    Lighting company run by industry outsiders
    Difficulty in executing product release

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people with lighting experience, you won't change the industry.

Sweatshop

Planning (Former Employee) Satellite Beach, FL

ProsVery nice building, LSG provides almost everyone with a laptop and cell phone with unlimited features. LSG behaves as if they have very deep pockets, however, they waste funds on needless expenses. Young staff

ConsNo policies, procedures or communication. Staffed company with out of state managers who relocated their families to Florida, only to be let go in less than one year. Promised bonuses, stock options, advancement, etc....worthless. Still not profitable and will never be.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrim management, too top level heavy no middle man. Treat the workers more fairly

Trying to make the big chances in lighting worldwide

Embedded Software Engineer (Current Employee) Satellite Beach, FL

ProsIt's a great mission: significant energy usage reduction can be achieved by switching from older less efficient technologies to LED lighting. There are some very smart people doing creative things at this company. Things are growing fast and furious. For the most part the employees are very nice and helpful to each other...it's a nice work environment. Also our headquarters is located in Satellite Beach, FL. Did I mention that we are 1 mile from the beach? I am an engineer, and have been extremely busy in the past (80-90 hour weeks with little in the way of breaks) but am currently somewhat slow with required work, and I have been given the latitude to explore other technologies and projects and I am grateful for this. In a more structured company I wouldn't be able to do this.

ConsPolicies and procedures and sloppy and undefined which causes tension...you get the feeling that there is a great deal of unnecessary waste...ordering is sloppy, we buy things we don't need and make things we can't sell and then we find ourselves with millions of dollars in unusable inventory which weighs heavily on the books. After more than 10 years of operations in one form or another, we are still not profitable as of this writing. We are propped up by the investors of Pegasus and Riverwood and others. Riverwood has taken control of the key management positions recently: I hope they know what they are doing and will work in the company's best interests.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust make it work! We have been hearing that we are going to be profitable "soon" for many years.

Worked for Lighting Science Group? Contribute to the Community!