Lighting Science Group Reviews

Updated July 14, 2014
Updated July 14, 2014

2.9

Steve Marton

The company that could have been

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Satellite Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Satellite Beach, FL

I worked at Lighting Science Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

LSG used to have a devoted and harmonious group of hard working employees, that acted like a well oiled machine to grow the company to its full potential. The promise of what LSG could do to improve life on earth, and the promise of products that had limitless potential was very real, once upon a time.

Cons

Eight CEOs later, the vision is lost, the family is gone. LSG had a chance to beat the big guys, but after many changes in direction and a lot of executive ego battling, Cree, Philips and GE have already caught up and passed anything LSG could have been.

Be honest about the lack of future of the company with those that remain. Reflect on the lost opportunity for so many, and try to take lessons from these failures to any endeavors in the future so that hundreds of people don't go through this again.

A mixed bag

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Satellite Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Satellite Beach, FL

I worked at Lighting Science Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Compensation, co-workers, an opportunity to make a difference in the industry.

Cons

Lack of communication on the direction and status of the company. We were given mixed messages about how the company was performing: at internal meetings everything was great, but quarterly/annual reports said we were losing our shirts.

Virtually the entire senior management team has been replaced multiple times, with one very notable exception. Maybe that exception should be reconsidered.

Oh yeah, focus on making a profit for a change.

Unrealized Potential

I worked at Lighting Science Group full-time

Pros

Green technology company with some very good innovations in an industry (LED Lighting) that is on the verge of expansion.

Cons

Revolving top level management. Flavor of the month CEO. No stability at top level. Constantly changing vision and direction of company.

Company has not been able to realize its full potential over the years. Company should be more established by now.

Layoffs and outsourcing is the new mandate of the company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people but constant worry

I worked at Lighting Science Group full-time

Pros

Great people, good pay, great benefits

Cons

Constant worry of lay off

Better communications and support

New CEO - Hoping for a big turn around

Former Employee - No Comment  in  Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - No Comment in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Lighting Science Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Loved the products, people and company vision

Cons

Poor financial decisions, no consequences for bad decisions.

I hope the new ceo (as of November 2013) will use his experience as a turn around consultant to fix the major financial deficits facing this company. Moving everything offshore is not the answer and I hope the company stays in Florida and maintains its culture and vision.

out of control. Too many people in over their heads

Former Employee - N/A  in  Satellite Beach, FL
    Former Employee - N/A in Satellite Beach, FL

I worked at Lighting Science Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

paycheck, location, non-management personnel, benefits

Cons

free for all between depts., no stability

top heavy, Industry outsiders,

This is Not the Place to Be if You're in Operations

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Satellite Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Satellite Beach, FL

I have been working at Lighting Science Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are some very intelligent people who work here. The mission (as it currently stands) is nothing short of amazing.

Cons

In Operations, there is no professional behavior. Some employees think it's perfectly okay to scream and yell in the work place. There is very limited to no project management experience, which is a huge detrator when trying to being new products to market. There is a revolving door policy to management, if the new investors/consultancts don't like you, they simply fire you. I can't imagine the amount of money we have spent in severance packages, plus relocation expenses.

Deadlines have been set and ignored for improving our financial position. We are still bleeding money. Improve communication among the departments. You had a third party conduct an employee satisfaction survey and the results were abysmal - what are you doing to improve?

Good company, management could be improved

I have been working at Lighting Science Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great innovation team
    Solid financial backing
    Decent salary
    Great medical benefits

Cons

Constant management turnover
    Lighting company run by industry outsiders
    Difficulty in executing product release

Listen to the people with lighting experience, you won't change the industry.

Sweatshop

Former Employee - Planning  in  Satellite Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Planning in Satellite Beach, FL

I worked at Lighting Science Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very nice building, LSG provides almost everyone with a laptop and cell phone with unlimited features. LSG behaves as if they have very deep pockets, however, they waste funds on needless expenses. Young staff

Cons

No policies, procedures or communication. Staffed company with out of state managers who relocated their families to Florida, only to be let go in less than one year. Promised bonuses, stock options, advancement, etc....worthless. Still not profitable and will never be.

Trim management, too top level heavy no middle man. Treat the workers more fairly

Trying to make the big chances in lighting worldwide

Current Employee - Embedded Software Engineer  in  Satellite Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Embedded Software Engineer in Satellite Beach, FL

I have been working at Lighting Science Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a great mission: significant energy usage reduction can be achieved by switching from older less efficient technologies to LED lighting. There are some very smart people doing creative things at this company. Things are growing fast and furious. For the most part the employees are very nice and helpful to each other...it's a nice work environment. Also our headquarters is located in Satellite Beach, FL. Did I mention that we are 1 mile from the beach? I am an engineer, and have been extremely busy in the past (80-90 hour weeks with little in the way of breaks) but am currently somewhat slow with required work, and I have been given the latitude to explore other technologies and projects and I am grateful for this. In a more structured company I wouldn't be able to do this.

Cons

Policies and procedures and sloppy and undefined which causes tension...you get the feeling that there is a great deal of unnecessary waste...ordering is sloppy, we buy things we don't need and make things we can't sell and then we find ourselves with millions of dollars in unusable inventory which weighs heavily on the books. After more than 10 years of operations in one form or another, we are still not profitable as of this writing. We are propped up by the investors of Pegasus and Riverwood and others. Riverwood has taken control of the key management positions recently: I hope they know what they are doing and will work in the company's best interests.

Just make it work! We have been hearing that we are going to be profitable "soon" for many years.

Worked for Lighting Science Group? Contribute to the Community!