Lightspeed GMI Reviews

CEO

1. Good place to start off

Current Employee - Associate, Global Supply in Warren, NJ
    Current Employee - Associate, Global Supply in Warren, NJ

I have been working at Lightspeed GMI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good benefits (PTO, health/dental/vision, 401k)
    - Flexibility to work from home (dependent on the team you're on)
    - In-office events (food trucks, trivia nights, holiday parties) - started implementing this more

Good place to start off if you're coming out of college or are looking for an entry level position (especially for Project Manager or Pricing Coordinator positions). I'm not in either roles, so my experience differs a bit from most in the Warren location.

Cons

- Poor communication across different teams
    - Understaffed / lack of resources
    - Team scattered in different locations (timezone differences)
    - Bonuses are okay, nothing great

Ideal threshold would be 2-3 years before moving onto a different workplace.

Advice to Management

Update old internal systems and don't spend all your money on recruitment. Money should be invested more in the people.

Director

I have been working at Lightspeed GMI full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits (medical, PTO, flexibility to work from home), Family Friendly, You never have your target on your back- very supportive environment, good open door policies. Good upward mobility if you advocate for yourself.

Cons

Communication across business units around strategy and how each initiative plugs into others could be improved.

Advice to Management

Improve the lines of communication between levels and across divisions. Also, work to identify top tier talent who may be leaving prior to letting them become dissatisfied.

3. Stay away

I have been working at Lightspeed GMI

Pros

There are no pros. This organization is a joke. Stay far away.

Cons

Everything about this company sucks. Please stay far away. They are shady!!

Advice to Management

Change everything. Retrain... Or close shop.

5. Would not recommend

Former Employee - Client Services Manager
    Former Employee - Client Services Manager

I worked at Lightspeed GMI

Pros

Work from home once a week, casual dress, lots of food from meetings; intelligent clients from different industries

Cons

Lots of favoritism; same employees often will all get promoted within the same month. Key parts of Project Management work (questionnaire programming, etc) is strongly dependent on an outsourced team in Europe, which can be very difficult to manage as 1 can be brilliant and seriously outshine the others on their team, who won't have a clue what's going on.and also have minimal oversight so they are free to be unresponsive. Office in the middle of nowhere.

Advice to Management

Update your systems and care more about your people. Also, managers who yell at others to prove their confidence are not necessarily as competent as they appear to be.

6. Good recruiting firm

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Lightspeed GMI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Vey good at finding jobs based on your skill set. They walk you into your interview and answer any questions. They follow up to make sure everything is going good at your new position

Cons

Got a position through them, but still got emails on jobs available (not really a con)

Once strong company that is headed downhill at an alarming pace.

Former Employee - Client Services Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Client Services Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Lightspeed GMI

Pros

Benefits, PTO, fairly competitive salary

Cons

Clueless and often dishonest senior management, lack of relevant training opportunities, lack of advancement, Burn-and-Turn environment, lack of long-term vision, people evaluated on metrics out of their control (eg., staff with no sales responsibility rated on achieving revenue goals on their accounts)

Advice to Management

The Americas CEO is a used car salesperson in the worst sense of the expression - a lot of words, very little content, none actionable, relevant, or even pertinent to business. A place to start would be re-evaluating his contribution and effect he's had on the company. Ideally, the previous CEO should be re-installed.

Middle Management should attempt a modicum of honesty and transparency. Start internally (staff) and expand to clients.

Give people a reason to stay and contribute. Lightspeed GMI is a transient point for new grads between end of school and a real career. Offer training and advancement opportunities, engage and empower staff to be contributors and actually listen to what they are saying, even if they are not someone with leadership/supervisory responsibilities.

8. Great experience until you plateau

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager

I worked at Lightspeed GMI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- As another reviewer mentioned on the GMI page, there is no longer a new idea every week and initiatives are clearly communicated throughout the company.
    - The people are 2nd to none, and usually the reason a lot of people stay around so long given the collegiate, supportive atmosphere and understanding from management of work/life balancing.
    - Start off new employees and junior employees with good base salary and great benefits as they are a part of Kantar/Lightspeed (WPP) who can leverage their size with insurance companies.
    - They continue to update and invest in their technology, as well as decentralize their knowledge base from people/documents to a digital library allowing for a better flow of information.

Cons

- On the flip side, management still holds onto ideas that languish or are shown no demand for in the market place which can hamper the ability to innovate further.
    - Top management seems to be involved in every little decision, and seems to stifle turnaround on key initiatives.
    - Talent acquisition there can be hit or miss, as in the past most did not come from even a marketing background so the support necessarily wasn't there; it is getting better though as college programs bolster MR related courses.
    - Salaries can get stalled after awhile with paltry raises while bonuses have dropped off after merging with Kantar/Lightspeed
    - They still constantly lose top talent in every department (sales, acct management, IT, etc.) due to their lack of compensation over time as well as lack of professional development and opportunities to advance; it's not uncommon for most younger employees to leave after 3-5 years as they plateau when management does not proactively try to employ some sort of development plan.

Advice to Management

- Stop holding onto new products/services that show no demand in the market
    - Keep investing in your technology
    - Start investing more in your people (especially those who run the largest accounts and have been around for awhile)
    - Allow for more autonomy among project staff & those working on initiatives within the company
    - Proactively reach out to top talent and those who show promise with the company to develop them further and instill a sense of future success while also showing that their role will change/morph over time to their benefit

9. Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous in Warren, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Warren, NJ

I have been working at Lightspeed GMI full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Culture is excellent...collaborative, fun, energetic, engaging and friendly! The people make this a fantastic place to work.

Cons

Technology and tools need some updating.

Advice to Management

Focus on improving technology and continue working on overall employee engagement.

10. Have loved my job for nearly a decade!

Current Employee - Director in Warren, NJ
    Current Employee - Director in Warren, NJ

I have been working at Lightspeed GMI full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lightspeed GMI has a small company feel with large company backing (Kantar), and I have always felt very empowered to make a difference within my department and region. The people are hands down the best you will find - and because we drive high performance throughout our teams - it makes for very energized, engaged teams trying to drive continuous improvement. We have a Bigger than Lightspeed team, which helps the community and sets up social events, which epitomize the energy and culture we have in the office. We just finished our first Innovation Week, so I feel good about the direction we're headed. Bagel Friday's are icing on the cake! As for benefits and recognition, I've been well recognized over the years and vacation benefit is very generous. Medical benefits on par with industry.

Cons

Technology, especially as we try to intersect multiple companies, has been slow to evolve. Also, still need to focus on a culture of innovation with funding to implement big ideas that will move us forward. While working with Kantar can be a big plus, it can also be difficult when other companies are not doing as well, thus impacting our financial flexibility.

Advice to Management

Invest in technology and innovation more if we want to move ahead of the competition.

11. Great

I worked at Lightspeed GMI

Pros

It's a nice and flexible workplace.

Cons

Small team, few opportunities to grow.

RSS Feed </> Embed