Lilly UK

Lilly UK Managing Director Andrew Hotchkiss

Andrew Hotchkiss

Evolution is the key

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsThese people really do care. Every year they focus on ensuring the employees know their objectives, understand them, have a development plan, don't get too frustrated... The effort spent on people is huge (if not talking about salaries or bonuses).

ConsObjectives cannot be met just because is "nice working here", so management have realised they have to change the way they operate. Innovation and risk taking may be the key, but you have to be prepared, and you have to be bold and brave. Current management got to their positions developing other competencies not related to bravery... so Lilly ends up being a company focused in change, but not daring to do it!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop talking about change and innovations and do it!

great experience

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Basingstoke, England (UK)

Prosgreat benefits, opportunity to learn new skills and develop. You can really make a difference at Lilly to your job and to peoples lives... lots of very talented people and team work is great. great social club with lots going on to suit all tastes. people tend to really like it here and stick around - ther are opportunities to do different things so you don't need to get stuck in a rut... lots of good training - soft skills as well as technical

ConsOften lots to do - you do need to be prepared to be a bit flexible sometimes with time but your own priorities are taken into account as well and there is always good recognition for a job well done. The pharma industry has lots of challenges and bringin new products out remains top priority and does put some challenges into the business form time to time

Enjoyed my time here

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI took a graduate programme here.
    Great environment, great people. Plenty of opportunity to take on significant projects if you show enthusiasm.

ConsPlenty of regulation but this is to be expected in the industry

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very positive working experience, great co-workers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat work life balance, good leadership, great team.

Conscant think of any cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Tough times

ProsGood pay and conditions
    Benevolent employer
    Decent offices

ConsCulture changing, no job security at all. Patent cliff approaching, likely to get worse before it gets better. Therefore little opportunity for career growth in IT. Difficult working with US, lots of job protection going on.

Advice to Senior ManagementHang in there, try to be as honest as you can with staff - they're not idiots.

Reorganisation = increased middle management and loss of company cohesion!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Basingstoke, England (UK)

Pros- Good work/life balance (unless there's a deadline to meet, then expect to work until the small hours!)
    - Good location on M3 corridor
    - Some benefits are competitive, such as final salary pension

Cons- Salary benchmarking is poor
    - Career progression is slow and based on who you know, not what you know
    - Performance management process is protracted and does not accurately reflect an individual's merits
    - US centric organisation at the Global level
    - Reorganisation of the company has led to even further resource erosion at the lower levels, but an increase in middle management
    - Company unstable: a further 10% to be slashed from permanent employee numbers, yet the number of contractors continues to rise

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote the most talented, not the most popular (oh, and mandate fewer e-mails and meetings so more actual work can be achieved!)

Good place to work but no longer stands out in a crowd

Operation Technician (Current Employee) Liverpool, England (UK)

ProsI work shift and receive long days off. I work 2 days 2 nights and get 6 days off.

There are opportunities to work on projects i.e. coming off shift and working with a team of people. To see a project through to its completion is satisfying knowing all the hard work you put in.

The pension and benefits scheme is one of the best I have ever seen. it is non contributory. You may also make contributions in the form of SPECS which is taken from salaries there fore not taxed.

ConsYou can do the same job as someone else but don’t receive the same pay. Unfair pay scales based on time served and not knowledge.

I am told that it would take 10 years of doing the same job before I receive the same rate of pay as my colleagues.

I often feel beaten down if I am trying to hard in work, as if people want me to sit back and not work above the line as they call it

Advice to Senior ManagementShow gratitude when someone has done a good job, however it is done sometimes

Worked for Lilly UK? Contribute to the Community!