Limelight Networks

Limelight Networks Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Limelight Networks President, CEO & Director Robert Lento

Robert Lento

Pros:
  • "The Limelight culture is great, the work environment is fun and casual"
    in 16 reviews
  • "Great perks, including free food, games, and a very casual work environment"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "They just haven't run into what essentially amounts to the BS of upper management yet"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Sales function is not performing to plan, too many new sales people that don't know what they are selling"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

LLNW

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIts ok, globally distributed, pretty good network engineering firm.

ConsHigh leadership turnover, inconsistent strategy.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell Sell Sell!

Great company. A lot of opportunity.

ProsNew management team has the experience to take Limelight to the next level.
    Great products.
    Smart and fun colleagues
    Good vision. Execution this year will be key.
    Good work environment.
    Talented employees
    Employees work hard and want the company and it's customers to succeed.
    Great customers.

ConsNone come to mind.
    The company is still in transition -- but heading in the right direction.
    Need some processes put in place, but light on the bureaucracy please.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to communicate to employees.
    Continue to demonstrate to employees that you are a team and are all working together.
    Stick with the vision.
    Stay the course.

Good stop, but not necessarily a career

Solutions Engineer (Current Employee)
    Tempe, AZ

ProsThe people are some of the smartest you will ever meet. The products are cutting edge, and unlike anything else that even the competitors are working on. You'll get a great line item on your resume, fair amount of instant recognition. Great perks, including free food, games, and a very casual work environment.

ConsCasual work environment doesn't counteract the overworked, workaholic, alcoholic (seriously) culture that drives this place. The stress is palpable, and there are a large amount of people who work ridiculous hours because this place is seriously understaffed. The salaries could be better, especially as you get higher up. Lots of office politics and infighting among the leadership, which has led to talented people at all levels leaving for greener pastures. Upward mobility is rather limited and slow-moving. Company has absorbed several start-ups, so culture is very fractured.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs long as office politics, power struggles, ridiculous hours, and a total lack of collaboration prevail, the company is doomed to either stay where it is or sink into more decline. The fact that you are losing talent at an alarming rate should disturb you more than it evidently does.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disorganization, at it's finest.

Tempe, AZ

ProsFree Deli, laid back work environment

ConsComplete and utter lack of direction with little to no official process in place. Management is only out for themselves and will do anything to save their own job. There is little to no collaboration but is certainly a lot of finger pointing when something does go wrong. Comp plans are routinely late each year, and the new "simplified" plan means you earn LESS money this year. Complete turnover in executive management, with little transparency in what direction the company is heading. There is NO career growth potential, so if that is what you're seeking, look elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're a public company. Act like one. Define process VERY clearly, and stress a collaborative environment. Reward performers properly, and eliminate the passing off of responsibility garbage that runs rampant at Limelight. Hire more competent Management.

Time to skip the Kool Aid your are in sales or most other departments

Account Executive (Former Employee)

ProsGood lower management
    Good products
    Good work life balance

ConsExecutive management is clueless on how to tuna company or interact with employees
    No idea how to bring the good products to market or how to market them
    Significantly cutting sales commission for 2013
    Exodus of talented sales people
    In meeting others that world here in 2007, the issues and problems holding the company back are the same today in 2013

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe take a little less on your own commissions before cutting the sales teams on high margin products forcing people to look for other jobs.

If you believed this place couldn't get any worse you were wrong, VERY wrong!

Tempe, AZ

ProsStill some talented people left, most are looking over their shoulder after the latest Exec Team clear out and new blood seem to just want can all the good people that are doing the actual work!

ConsThe new management are either blind to what is truly going on and the feeling across the company or they don't care and expect more to leave over the coming weeks and months and its all part of the plan. The cuts have been deep, the communication has been poorly managed and totally unmotivating to the staff on the floor that ultimately are having to manage the customer. As yet its unclear on targets, compensation plan ("we simplified the compensation model" - yeah its simple to understand you are going to make less money than last year if you could imagine such a thing!) Customers and revenue are walking out the door as well as good staff. Oh and lets shake all the accounts up, I mean its only the loyalty and relationships that the AE's and AM's have with their customers thats holding most of this together. Most of the new AM's are junior and yet they are managing some of the largest accounts - why? Coz they are cheap to employ!

Advice to Senior ManagementSell it, there won't be much left to sell soon!

An opportunity squandered

Prosfast paced technology
    good client list
    free food

Consproduct always having outages
    support is below par
    management isn't clueless, the purposefully miss-treat employees
    below market pay
    management tells you what you want to hear

This company is the epitome of having a good product in a hot market at a great time, and completely dropping the ball. There were so many opportunities to make a big splash in the industry, only to accidentally take a customer site down or respond poorly to a customer by upper management. The amount of revenue that walked out of the door on operation issues alone was the difference between profitable, and the basement stock price that its been stuck at for 5 years. The single greatest anchor, is the sheer arrogance by management. When they aren't fighting each other internally, they delay comp plans, commission checks, and other fun morale killing activities.

Advice to Senior ManagementI gave enough advice that fell on deaf ears when I did work there.

A good company with fixable problems

Sales (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsAt Limelight there are great people working, committed people. The company delivers some incredibly cutting edge services. Marketing messaging is spot on. Recent leadership changes are beginning to produce results.

ConsAt Limelight there are out-dated, moldy processes perpetuating a bloated operation. The bloat gets in the way of delivering a great customer experience. Churn in key roles hampers productivity everywhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on building great products, but fewer of them. Shed the bloat. Reboot how customer experience is measured and incentivized. Narrow focus on delivering solutions to sub-markets where you create the most value for the customer. HIre fewer and do it better. Reboot compensation to incent the change agents in the trenches.

Fun place to work, love hate relationship, emotionally draining

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Tempe, AZ

ProsFree food, team outings, really fast Internet at your desk, you will learn a lot about Internet technologies.

ConsSales is a terrible place to be in this company. They have driven out every good person they had either because of lack of pay or lack of respect. I've seen people quit on the spot without having another job simply because they couldn't take it anymore (not the stress of the job, but the stress of their manager). They micro manage. There aren't enough technical resources for the sales people, so they are left to fend of themselves. If you're not in the "IN CROWD" you are OUT. They say they promote from within, but when I tried to get other positions I was denied each time. If you're good at what you do you will be stuck in that position forever. You have to threaten to quit to get a raise. Their pay is way under the industry average. They acquired other companies and brought over their sales people and gave them a "VP" title. giving them huge salaries and stock options, meanwhile those of us who were with the company a long time were never given promotions or raises. They give you a bonus of worthless stock options which need to mature for 4 years before you can sell them. Maybe with the new leadership the company can turn around?

Advice to Senior ManagementPay the industry average. Your people are your assets and giving them free lunch and a keg of beer once in awhile doesn't pay their mortgage. Let your inside team telecommute a couple days a week, that goes a long way for moral. The "old boys club" there needs to go! It's starting with Lunsford leaving!

Best place I've ever worked

Network Engineer (Current Employee)
    Tempe, AZ

ProsI read all 8 reviews before posting and thought I should set the record straight. I've learned that 1 star reviews you find on the internet are typically based on emotion rather than fact, and that seems to be the case here.

Limelight is the best company I've ever worked for, hands down. Their excellent benefits include: competitive salary, quality medical/dental/vision insurance, flexible hours, telework opportunities, and an onsite 24x7 self-serve deli (Tempe HQ office). Obviously every position is not eligible for flex hours and telework, but many are. Even at Limelight's other offices where there is no deli, the company stocks snacks and drinks. And you are free to go offsite for lunch despite what one reviewer stated.

All supervisors and management I've ever worked under have been open and friendly. I have advanced twice since starting at the company 5 years ago. Senior management is very forward-thinking and engaged. They provide regular updates to the entire company, and are very transparent internally compared to most organizations. No, they haven't turned the company into Apple or Google yet, but the company is continually improving and gaining industry recognition.

Limelight is a small group of hard-working professionals who have built a leading digital services provider. The company is steadily moving forward and in less than 10 years has become a leader in the industry. Our customers love us and reward us with new business all the time. We're more of a partner to them than a vendor. Anyone in the know is already aware of this. If this sounds like your kind of place, I welcome you to join us. You will be challenged and rewarded.

ConsLimelight is a truly unique company. There really are no other companies out there that do exactly what we do, the way we do it. There are a couple that come close, but not quite. This is a huge bonus in our industry. However, the cost of being on the bleeding-edge of this new business concept is the unpredictability and frequent change and adaptation required.

Right now, the company is constantly growing and changing, and with that comes frequent re-organization and new process implementation and refinement. This can be frustrating, but if you are willing to be flexible and to take charge where you see an opportunity, you will be successful. Sometimes problems (read: opportunities) come up and you just have to own it and take care of it yourself. If you have a "That's not my job" mentality, you won't last long here. We are a tight-knit group of professionals who are not afraid to get our hands dirty and are always willing to help each other out to get the job done.

I've been here for over 5 years and am used to regular change, but I suppose many people can be frustrated by this, particularly if they are from a large, well-established organization. Limelight is still very "lean"; employees are numbered in the hundreds, not thousands. If you expect everything to be perfectly ordered and predictable, good luck in the tech world. Go work at a telco, bank, or insurance company.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on developing and implementing a concrete, effective internal organizational plan with clear responsibilities and processes, one with that will work now and into the future. This will provide a more welcoming environment for employees who are not

Worked for Limelight Networks? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Limelight Networks reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Limelight Networks CEO Robert Lento . All 122 reviews posted anonymously by Limelight Networks employees.