Limelight Networks

Limelight Networks Reviews

Updated Jul 13, 2014

Limelight Networks President, CEO & Director Robert Lento

Robert Lento

Pros
  • The Limelight culture is great, the work environment is fun and casual(in 16 reviews)

• Great perks, including free food, games, and a very casual work environment(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • They just haven't run into what essentially amounts to the BS of upper management yet(in 9 reviews)

• Sales function is not performing to plan, too many new sales people that don't know what they are selling(in 5 reviews)

Good place to work with lots of opportunities to make a difference

ProsLots of talented people to work with, diverse environment, remote work friendly, nice perks (discounts, health and fitness support, flexible PTO)

ConsToo many abandoned projects that need to find owners (technical debt), insufficient technical leadership (e.g. pick an official CM tool already).

Advice to Senior ManagementStop focussing on your bonuses and focus on things that need to be done on the technical side of the house.

Welcome to Convergys 2.0!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsAs with most jobs, the people make it enjoyable. Flexible hours and the company deli are also a nice perks.

ConsWelcome to Convergys 2.0! Did you used to work at Convergys and are currently unemployed? Well don't worry, even if you are grossly unqualified for the job, Limelight Networks has a Director, VP or C-level position waiting for you! It is disgusting how the new regime is so blatantly bringing in their pals to fill positions that should be filled by local qualified individuals or better yet, promote from within..Cronyism at it's best. The new motto is "Spend it like it's your's". Apparently this means hire all manager and above level employees from outside of AZ and require them to travel to Tempe on a weekly basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have a good thing going here, don't let your greed and Cronyism mess this up. Hire local talent and promote from within. You have to stop hiring unqualified people, especially Convergys employees. Your lack of honesty is transparent. Don't give up on your employees and this once wonderful company.

Veni, Vidi, Vici (and then I left)

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsFast paced, innovation and technology driven (on the surface)

This place has so much potential and it would be nice to see it get there when it finds the right leadership

ConsNo matter what position / role you are in if Executive is not in your title your input is not welcomed and/or valued. Open door policies are irrelevant...this place thrives on NEPOTISM. You want opportunity? Talk to the nearest VP and see if he needs his lawn mowed. If you do a good job they'll put you on the super secret bonus plan. Good luck with that since they haven't turned a profit in a long while.

I waited a few years before posting my comments, waiting and hoping. I watched the new leadership team come in and I've seen no potential for change. I've seen the stock continue on a downward trend and listened to the leadership provide no real response to the industry analysts.

Why can't they turn the corner already? Because each department is it's only Empire State building with an Executive ape sitting on top...ruling by fear and intimidation and slingin' poo at every that comes close to his domain. Yes, I said "HIS"...don't expect to find women on the leadership team.

To add to the comments about marketing influencing the number of positive ratings...just go back through the old ones and you'll spot the patterns.

Advice to Senior ManagementI got nothing...and it wouldn't matter anyway

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a lot of direction

Advanced Services Architect (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsVery casual environment. Feel free to drink at your desk or take a San Francisco "smoke break"

ConsLow pay along with a company that has consistent failed acquisitions. We've lost more money buying bad companies and then selling them a year or two later than most companies strive to make.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your people a living wage and diversify the business. CDN is not sustainable because all it takes is your dumbest competitor to lower their prices and all of a sudden your margin is shot when you try to compete.

Challenged but we'll-intentioned acquirer

Vice President, Engineering (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe core of llnw is composed of good, smart, well-meaning professionals who are very loyal to the company and their colleagues. Some of the technical staff were, at the time, the best in the specialized world of high-scale cdns.

ConsThe team of executives at the time struggled to manage and prioritize the new companies and initiatives they acquired. They failed to differentiate the company in the face of growing commoditization. Some managers were clearly in over their heads.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe focused and decisive. Assign a high-level executive to each acquired company. Find and promote top talent from acquired teams. Incentivize mutual success over autonomy.

Fast paced technically challenging

ProsHuge demand for what limelight provides customers
    This is "The Cloud" - developing products here are what enables others to develop in the cloud
    Reasonably competitive salary

ConsOld school mentality, current sr. management has never developed for Cloud or SaaS distribution
    Very tight on Stock (RSUs) for key employees, C-level grants way out of whack

Advice to Senior ManagementDrive a culture more like Amazon or Netflix or Google, reward the behavior you want emulated
    An under-resourced development function can never catch up so either add resources or change strategy
    Either be in the SaaS business to win or get out of it

Stay away

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tempe, AZ

Prosfree food, nothing more though

ConsPoorly managed, They keep bringing in management from the east coast that really has no idea about how or what we do. They just hired a new Director of IT. His first move? Cancel all the promotions that were due this month. Nice job. I am actively seeking employment elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring people from other places that are never here in the office. You cannot run a company by remote control. Now I have to take time from my already busy day to write status reports every other day for a manager that is not here to actually see what we are doing. You are continually trying to get us to vote you as "best employer" in the Phoenix valley without doing anything to earn that title. It's kind of sad actually. Good luck with that.

Constant Business & Organizational Changes

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSnacks & beverages are provided. 401K company matching, casual office attire, flexibility to work from home as needed.

ConsThere has been an extraordinary amount of business & organizational changes with Limelight over the past years with personnel and overall direction of the company from a corporate, product & solution perspective.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company as a whole need to figure out the direction of where the company needs to be from a future product & services offering in order to push the company forward.

Wonderful place to work, best job I ever had!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people, great benifits, besides the standard health benifits there were weekly BBQ's in the early days and later they put in a Deli with free food for the employees.

ConsSome of the managers micromanage, which is like being under a microscope. I felt it hindered productivity. I did not like the feeling the boss was watching my every move. One of the people I worked with thought in order to advance you needed to make the people around you look bad. He went out of his way to undermine the work I did. However I did not leave because of this I left due to an injury.

Advice to Senior ManagementLimelights greatest productivity came with the feeling of family in the first years before incorporation. Try not to make it into a stiff unfeeling corporation.

Good people, poor execution and strategy

Director of Sales (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsDynamic environment, ability to chart path

ConsWeak executives, lack of focus, and poor execution

Advice to Senior ManagementSell company

Worked for Limelight Networks? Contribute to the Community!