Limelight Networks

Updated August 27, 2014
2.9

Limelight Networks President, CEO & Director Robert Lento
Robert Lento

Pros
  • The Limelight culture is great, the work environment is fun and casual (in 16 reviews)

• Great perks, including free food, games, and a very casual work environment (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • They just haven't run into what essentially amounts to the BS of upper management yet (in 9 reviews)

• Sales function is not performing to plan, too many new sales people that don't know what they are selling (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Genuinely glad to be here

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time for less than a year

Pros

Let me just say that I consider myself to be working my dream job so I'm going to be very optimistic in my review. Your mileage may vary. Everyone's experience is unique.

The good: interesting product mix, challenging business problems that employees have the opportunity to play a part in solving, and a company that listens and responds to the needs of all stakeholders (employees, customers, and shareholders). New leadership team has a valid strategic vision and is taking steps to achieve it - I have seen progress since I joined the company 2 QTRs ago. The high growth environment has given me the chance to play a visible role in building this company's success, and seeing the tangible results of those efforts is rewarding. I can only speak for my department, but we've brought on top notch senior leadership with real experience running large software/technology corporations and the teams that power them. Every day I get exposed to great minds across various functions - some of the smartest people I've worked with and usually willing to share their knowledge if you just ask. Is our stock through the roof? No, but fixing that problem is part of the fun!

To address the concerns of other reviewers: (1) I don't believe that the Marketing department is posting falsely positive reviews on this site. I've met plenty of people who are thrilled to work for Limelight and believe they, like me, are writing authentic 5 star reviews because they've had 5 star experiences. (BTW it is HR, not Marketing, that is responsible for recruitment. Marketing would have no reason to paint a falsely rosey picture of employee engagement on a site like Glassdoor.) (2) There is turnover in some departments which is very common when new leadership takes over. I understand there have been some frustrations with changes in the organization and some individuals have left, but there are also long term employees who are still here, or have left and returned, because things are moving in a positive direction. The CEO holds open forums, luncheons, etc. to let employees voice concerns, and I have seen entirely new programs developed as a direct response to concerns voiced in those meetings. Management is transparent and open about making this company an employer of choice. (3) Speaking from personal experience I can say that salary and benefits are great. Health, life, long term/short term disability, free food... our benefits are better than many other, much larger companies. Granted I live in Tempe (lower cost than some other cities we're located in) but between the solid compensation package and company culture I feel pretty lucky to be at Limelight. (4) Employees can grow with this company. We just initiated a goals tracking system to clarify precisely what employees should be measured on, and we have visibility into the goals of senior management. There are constant product and sales training sessions, conferences to attend, articles and useful industry info circulated - no tuition reimbursement but other benefits make up for it IMHO. Given my so far short tenure here I can't speak to ascension opportunities but if you're in it for the learning and professional development it seems like an excellent place to be. (Everyone deserves to advance in their careers and I have heard many people complain there aren't opportunities to progress in responsibility, salary, and title here but I just haven't been around long enough to know for sure.) (5) Yep you'll work a lot of hours but flextime/work from home arrangements have made that possible for me, even while trying to balance family and personal life. Technology is magic that way.

If you're willing to put in the hard work, be flexible with a company that's at this stage of growth, and maintain a good attitude even when there are setbacks... then you can thrive here.

Cons

High growth companies aren't for everybody. If you prefer a company where processes are already 100% in place, or want total stability, then you might not be happy at Limelight just yet (give it 2 years). We're also still integrating ourselves out culturally; acquisitions and decentralized engineering driven organization can cause dissonance among departments/regions/old-vs-new employees.

Get more women in leadership positions right away. It's not acceptable that the entire Board of Directors, entire C-suite, and all but one a very few VP level positions are filled by men. Continue everything you're doing to address the concerns voiced by your customers, shareholders, and employees. Remain open to candid feedback.

Company is really going places!

Current Employee - Director  in  Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Director in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time

Pros

The company is finally starting to lose its "start-up" mentality and work towards growing up and being the large company that I always knew it could be. Getting in now while we are on the rocket ride upwards with the new management team would be advisable.

Cons

There is not a lot of loyalty to keeping good employees at this time, but they are actively working on this issue.

Need to work to keep the 'good guys' on staff and not let other companies poach so many of them.

Good to Great

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company is moving in the right direction and is taking every opportunity to listen to the employees. Yes, there is change. The company wants to become better and things will have to change in order to get there. Some people who don't like the direction have complained and left. Current employees can speak and make a difference. It is great.

Yes, there can be longer hours every now and then. We take care of customers and if something isn't working (happens with technology), then we will help our customers.

The people who work for Limelight are extremely intelligent and knowledgeable. They are more than willing to help at all times and are always accessible. I have been able to reach out to every person in the company including C-Level in order to get help.

The deli is great. It is pretty nice to have free drinks all over the place. I have no idea about someone's comments regarding alcoholism as I have seen nothing to show that. Casual dress code is a nice plus as well.

Cons

There are some cons. Internally, there is an adjustment going on with new senior management as can be expected. The new executives are smart people and understand business. They aren't here to hurt the company and haven't come in with their own ideas to implement with no advice from others.

Continue to be open and honest with the employees as you have been doing. It is appreciated and your accessibility is rare in most companies.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company. A lot of opportunity.

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time

Pros

New management team has the experience to take Limelight to the next level.
    Great products.
    Smart and fun colleagues
    Good vision. Execution this year will be key.
    Good work environment.
    Talented employees
    Employees work hard and want the company and it's customers to succeed.
    Great customers.

Cons

None come to mind.
    The company is still in transition -- but heading in the right direction.
    Need some processes put in place, but light on the bureaucracy please.

Continue to communicate to employees.
    Continue to demonstrate to employees that you are a team and are all working together.
    Stick with the vision.
    Stay the course.

challenging and emotional experience that has built out my skill set no end and has improved myself confidence in both

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fantastic team to work with, everyone is here to work hard but still have at the same time. I get to work with a range of different businesses and clients and met lots of new and interesting people on a weekly basis

Cons

Sometime the work life balance is disturbed but overall its pretty good.

Come visit the EMEA team more

Excellent Place to Work

Current Employee - Account Representative  in  Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Representative in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Competitive & casual work environment, excellent vision from Executives, strong leadership, good name recognition, good benefits, competitive compensation package, fun team outings, excellent support, and open deli. The company is constantly striving to make their products better, their workplace better, and is a major player in our industry.

Cons

Programs/products are sometimes rolled out before they are completely ready, which cause Support issues, but I've found this to be the case with all companies I've worked for that want to get their products to market.

Awesome employer!

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexibility, not micro-managed, open communication - information is shared readily to everyone, teamwork -
    To those who had issues - you are responsible for getting your own work done, if assignment is not clear it is up to you to ask for clarification (in other words, be an adult!)

Cons

Departments need to work more cohesively. There is a "that is not my responsibility" attitude in some departments which needs to go away. We are all responsible for ensuring complete customer satisfaction!

Keep the improvements coming!

Best job I've had

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time for less than a year

Pros

The culture of the Seattle office is second to none. Everyone's working together to make great products. We have almost no conflict between engineering, management, product and sales.

You might not believe this, but as a software team, we get to spend the time we need to deliver high quality, maintainable software, rather than rushed, buggy crap. Both product management and sales respect the engineering team's recommendations and only occasionally oversell / overcommit.

Cons

Some of the company policies coming from HQ can introduce unnecessary overhead around things like machine acquisition and deployments, but even this is kept in check by excellent management.

Continue growing toward the more agile, less process driven ways of doing things. Follow the lead of the Seattle office to develop a collaborative, trust-based environment throughout the entire company.

At Limelight I have found a happy, strong, and passionate company where I feel valued,supported and proud to work in.

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Infections passion for what we do, strong sense of community, great benefits, awesome team

Cons

Some people may have jobs only because of who they know.

Limelight Networks is a great company

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time for less than a year

Pros

First of all, this is a great company to work for. I have a voice, people listen, and I work with a great team. I have worked for other software companies in the past, and I would have to say this has been the best experience so far. Everyone here is passionate about our products and very knowledgeable in their role. There are many opportunities for growth and we are constantly looking for new talent.

Cons

I can’t really think of any cons. I like my job. A critique of mine for the company would be that we could use a better method for obtaining needed hardware and software. Currently it is a little tough getting that needed software and hardware without having to contact various people and wait several weeks for the items to arrive. Other than that I really don’t have any complaints.

The management is great here at Limelight Networks. Management makes me feel like a team player.

Worked for Limelight Networks? Contribute to the Community!