Limelight Networks

Updated January 23, 2015
2.8

Limelight Networks President, CEO & Director Robert Lento
Robert Lento

Pros
  • Free Food Casual Environment Super Awesome people and Culture (in 16 reviews)

• The Limelight culture is great, the work environment is fun and casual (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • They just haven't run into what essentially amounts to the BS of upper management yet (in 10 reviews)

• Sales function is not performing to plan, too many new sales people that don't know what they are selling (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Wonderful place to work, best job I ever had!

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, great benifits, besides the standard health benifits there were weekly BBQ's in the early days and later they put in a Deli with free food for the employees.

Cons

Some of the managers micromanage, which is like being under a microscope. I felt it hindered productivity. I did not like the feeling the boss was watching my every move. One of the people I worked with thought in order to advance you needed to make the people around you look bad. He went out of his way to undermine the work I did. However I did not leave because of this I left due to an injury.

Limelights greatest productivity came with the feeling of family in the first years before incorporation. Try not to make it into a stiff unfeeling corporation.

Good people, poor execution and strategy

Former Employee - Director of Sales in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Director of Sales in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Dynamic environment, ability to chart path

Cons

Weak executives, lack of focus, and poor execution

Sell company

The strength is with middle management and the employees.

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment. It's like a startup feeling but a public company. However, recently with new management, it's been less of that new energy and excitement. However, depending on the department and the group you're in, you can have a healthy, happy, and fruitful career.

Cons

Upper management seems to be disconnected with the perspective of the employees. Middle management are awesome but often ignored or overlooked by the C-level and VPs. And why do we need so many VPs?

Salaries are so disproportional. You see very key individuals who make a HUGE difference leave over a small fraction of the upper management salaries. Case in point, if the new CEO totally messes up the company and drops the stock value to 1/3rd of the value when he started (he's halfway there today), AND does nothing else for 3 years, his salary and stock grants averages himself $1M/year. Meanwhile, key engineers are leaving because they're making $10k-$15k under their market rate. Mainly due to them being in a startup and then being acquired by Limelight.

Your consultants who analyze salaries are perhaps your biggest liability. You rationalize 30% turnover as industry average. it's not. You're losing your TOP 30% of your employees of KEY positions... not across the board.

It's the people not management.

Former Employee - Support Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Support Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the best people keep this company afloat

Cons

Serious lack of management is an understatement. No regard for the employees or how they are treated or cast aside in department mergers.

Get a clue on how to run a company and treat the people you employ.

Good tech, bad management

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great working conditions and pay

Cons

unorganized, employment fluctuation, constant reorgs

Actually talk to your employees and manage them

Company is really going places!

Current Employee - Director in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Director in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time

Pros

The company is finally starting to lose its "start-up" mentality and work towards growing up and being the large company that I always knew it could be. Getting in now while we are on the rocket ride upwards with the new management team would be advisable.

Cons

There is not a lot of loyalty to keeping good employees at this time, but they are actively working on this issue.

Need to work to keep the 'good guys' on staff and not let other companies poach so many of them.

Genuinely glad to be here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Let me just say that I consider myself to be working my dream job so I'm going to be very optimistic in my review. Your mileage may vary. Everyone's experience is unique.

The good: interesting product mix, challenging business problems that employees have the opportunity to play a part in solving, and a company that listens and responds to the needs of all stakeholders (employees, customers, and shareholders). New leadership team has a valid strategic vision and is taking steps to achieve it - I have seen progress since I joined the company 2 QTRs ago. The high growth environment has given me the chance to play a visible role in building this company's success, and seeing the tangible results of those efforts is rewarding. I can only speak for my department, but we've brought on top notch senior leadership with real experience running large software/technology corporations and the teams that power them. Every day I get exposed to great minds across various functions - some of the smartest people I've worked with and usually willing to share their knowledge if you just ask. Is our stock through the roof? No, but fixing that problem is part of the fun!

To address the concerns of other reviewers: (1) I don't believe that the Marketing department is posting falsely positive reviews on this site. I've met plenty of people who are thrilled to work for Limelight and believe they, like me, are writing authentic 5 star reviews because they've had 5 star experiences. (BTW it is HR, not Marketing, that is responsible for recruitment. Marketing would have no reason to paint a falsely rosey picture of employee engagement on a site like Glassdoor.) (2) There is turnover in some departments which is very common when new leadership takes over. I understand there have been some frustrations with changes in the organization and some individuals have left, but there are also long term employees who are still here, or have left and returned, because things are moving in a positive direction. The CEO holds open forums, luncheons, etc. to let employees voice concerns, and I have seen entirely new programs developed as a direct response to concerns voiced in those meetings. Management is transparent and open about making this company an employer of choice. (3) Speaking from personal experience I can say that salary and benefits are great. Health, life, long term/short term disability, free food... our benefits are better than many other, much larger companies. Granted I live in Tempe (lower cost than some other cities we're located in) but between the solid compensation package and company culture I feel pretty lucky to be at Limelight. (4) Employees can grow with this company. We just initiated a goals tracking system to clarify precisely what employees should be measured on, and we have visibility into the goals of senior management. There are constant product and sales training sessions, conferences to attend, articles and useful industry info circulated - no tuition reimbursement but other benefits make up for it IMHO. Given my so far short tenure here I can't speak to ascension opportunities but if you're in it for the learning and professional development it seems like an excellent place to be. (Everyone deserves to advance in their careers and I have heard many people complain there aren't opportunities to progress in responsibility, salary, and title here but I just haven't been around long enough to know for sure.) (5) Yep you'll work a lot of hours but flextime/work from home arrangements have made that possible for me, even while trying to balance family and personal life. Technology is magic that way.

If you're willing to put in the hard work, be flexible with a company that's at this stage of growth, and maintain a good attitude even when there are setbacks... then you can thrive here.

Cons

High growth companies aren't for everybody. If you prefer a company where processes are already 100% in place, or want total stability, then you might not be happy at Limelight just yet (give it 2 years). We're also still integrating ourselves out culturally; acquisitions and decentralized engineering driven organization can cause dissonance among departments/regions/old-vs-new employees.

Get more women in leadership positions right away. It's not acceptable that the entire Board of Directors, entire C-suite, and all but one a very few VP level positions are filled by men. Continue everything you're doing to address the concerns voiced by your customers, shareholders, and employees. Remain open to candid feedback.

Once had great promise

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There were some great people to work with. (but most have left, with a few exceptions) Intelligent, friendly and hard working. There was interesting and compelling work at one point. A real opportunity to leap frog the competition.

Cons

Cut throat competitive engineering culture. Shadow development efforts were frequent and often times it was who you knew versus how good the actual solution was. As a result, new products were often times non-starters or shipped way too early in their cycle as they were often great technical demos but not anywhere near ready for production. Took a very long time for various competing teams to learn how to trust each other and work together.

The frat-house beer parties on the operations side of the house gets old quickly. They are VERY lucky no one has had a DUI leaving work as of yet.

Fix your product management - its a complete mess and as a result costing you customers and placement in the market. Your competition is leaving you in the dust in all areas and a lot of your key/top tier engineers have left the company in disgust with NO attempt to retain them. Remember also - this company started in Tempe and it would appear that you feel that the Phoenix area is second rate in terms of engineering talent. Clearly there was enough talent to start the company here - and there is more than enough to sustain it if you would dedicate yourself to the area.

Just look at the stock.

Current Employee - Account Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Eliminated a majority of it's executive leadership. Hired a new series of leaders, none of which, stem from any successful or known, or even silicon valley / Seattle based, powerhouse of companies (Salesforce, Oracle, Microsoft, Google, anyone)? However, they are smooth talkers and has employees as bay.

Cons

Leadership:
    Stop the talking and show more action. Talk to me when you have some major wins on your belt. Maybe I'll use the stock price as an indicator. Your BOD will agree, despite you saying otherwise.

Attrition:
    Many of its top sales performers have voluntarily and involuntarily departed from the company in 2013. Several factors attribute to negative attrition: (bad) management, negative change in compensation structure, poor product performance.

Compensation:
    I've been in organizations where giving an honest salary based on other relevant titles in the industry is the right thing to do. I was given a low-balled but accepted (my mistake there I acknowledge). However, my first several years and sales metrics were outstanding. Unfortunately, neither compensation or promotion was in the works for me.

Uncontrollable / Performance of Product:
    The nature of CDN is extremely volatile (engineers will beg to differ but hang on I have a point). One blurp in the CDN (whether our fault or the customers), a company can completely switch at the whim. In some cases, customers are sometimes acquired and or go out of business. Its a dynamic space, where as a sales person, such changes should be recognized. Unfortunately, if the performance of a product/service is not up to par and the client drops usage, your sales quarter and compensation can suffer. Sales quotas aren't readjusted mid year. At one point, I was a top performer with one of the highest revenue generating accounts in the company, but yet I was not being paid my individual bonus.

Sinking Culture:
    When your top performers are migrating away in bulk, someones bound to notice. In fact, it makes a tremendous effect on the existing employee temperament. I'm not seeing the current employees replaced as quickly as they are losing them.

BOD and Stock Holders: Try hiring a proven executive from a successful tech powerhouse.

Sales Managers: If your top performers are eating flank steak, upgrade them to the filet mignon. (Take care of your best employees).

CDN Performance: Seriously, get your product(s) under control and performance up to par (like 99.9% uptime guarantee par).

A long way to go

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The technology is definitely unique, and they touch a lot of different tech--there's the core CDN business, the video infrastructure, the plugin video player, the Content Management System for websites, and cloud storage. You'll get an education as to how things run and technical hands-on that will be hard to beat. There's a casual work environment and a casual feel, decent camaraderie on at least a few teams. Free deli with snacks and a few other perks. Benefits are decent.

Cons

Lack of direction from C-level, lack of insight into trends. Most of the technology is overloaded and/or failing. They're just now introducing and working on updates and expansion the competition rolled out 2-3 years ago. Losses in business are consistent with this model (last year was 25 million on 171 revenue, how is this possible for a 12 year-old company?), stock price has been in the toilet for a very long time, and we're constantly losing key employees at an alarming rate. Most of who's left is either motivated by greed (i.e. Sales people who don't want to lose their recurring commissions), or inertia, as most of our tech is so homegrown that it doesn't translate even to the competitors in terms of structure and execution. They also lose people constantly because they lowball salary--20-35% below market value is not uncommon. There's a constant, palpable stress because every department is undermanned and thus 2am phone calls are not uncommon. And, again, I point to failure rate of tech being at an unacceptable level and percentage. Limelight is constantly on the verge of losing a few very large clients and if they lose those, the business will be crippled dramatically, possibly even fatally.

How about some actual job training? After a year, I'm still not entirely sure how to do a fair bit of my job functions, and have received minimal to no training. Documentation is either non-existent or impossible to find, leadership is occupied putting out fires they shouldn't even have to touch, and your employees feel disengaged and not very valued. Some free food and occasional beer on the house isn't going to fix that problem. Invest in your employees and invest in your tech, please, because you're being crushed by the competition in every business you touch. Buying more startups isn't the answer, improving your offerings so that customers come and stay is. And it really wouldn't hurt to promote from within a bit more instead of constantly bringing in from the outside

Limelight Networks Photos