Limelight Networks

Updated November 17, 2014
2.8

Limelight Networks President, CEO & Director Robert Lento
Robert Lento

Pros
  • The Limelight culture is great, the work environment is fun and casual (in 16 reviews)

• Great perks, including free food, games, and a very casual work environment (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • They just haven't run into what essentially amounts to the BS of upper management yet (in 10 reviews)

• Sales function is not performing to plan, too many new sales people that don't know what they are selling (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Just look at the stock.

Current Employee - Account Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Eliminated a majority of it's executive leadership. Hired a new series of leaders, none of which, stem from any successful or known, or even silicon valley / Seattle based, powerhouse of companies (Salesforce, Oracle, Microsoft, Google, anyone)? However, they are smooth talkers and has employees as bay.

Cons

Leadership:
    Stop the talking and show more action. Talk to me when you have some major wins on your belt. Maybe I'll use the stock price as an indicator. Your BOD will agree, despite you saying otherwise.

Attrition:
    Many of its top sales performers have voluntarily and involuntarily departed from the company in 2013. Several factors attribute to negative attrition: (bad) management, negative change in compensation structure, poor product performance.

Compensation:
    I've been in organizations where giving an honest salary based on other relevant titles in the industry is the right thing to do. I was given a low-balled but accepted (my mistake there I acknowledge). However, my first several years and sales metrics were outstanding. Unfortunately, neither compensation or promotion was in the works for me.

Uncontrollable / Performance of Product:
    The nature of CDN is extremely volatile (engineers will beg to differ but hang on I have a point). One blurp in the CDN (whether our fault or the customers), a company can completely switch at the whim. In some cases, customers are sometimes acquired and or go out of business. Its a dynamic space, where as a sales person, such changes should be recognized. Unfortunately, if the performance of a product/service is not up to par and the client drops usage, your sales quarter and compensation can suffer. Sales quotas aren't readjusted mid year. At one point, I was a top performer with one of the highest revenue generating accounts in the company, but yet I was not being paid my individual bonus.

Sinking Culture:
    When your top performers are migrating away in bulk, someones bound to notice. In fact, it makes a tremendous effect on the existing employee temperament. I'm not seeing the current employees replaced as quickly as they are losing them.

BOD and Stock Holders: Try hiring a proven executive from a successful tech powerhouse.

Sales Managers: If your top performers are eating flank steak, upgrade them to the filet mignon. (Take care of your best employees).

CDN Performance: Seriously, get your product(s) under control and performance up to par (like 99.9% uptime guarantee par).

Company is really going places!

Current Employee - Director in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Director in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time

Pros

The company is finally starting to lose its "start-up" mentality and work towards growing up and being the large company that I always knew it could be. Getting in now while we are on the rocket ride upwards with the new management team would be advisable.

Cons

There is not a lot of loyalty to keeping good employees at this time, but they are actively working on this issue.

Need to work to keep the 'good guys' on staff and not let other companies poach so many of them.

Genuinely glad to be here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Let me just say that I consider myself to be working my dream job so I'm going to be very optimistic in my review. Your mileage may vary. Everyone's experience is unique.

The good: interesting product mix, challenging business problems that employees have the opportunity to play a part in solving, and a company that listens and responds to the needs of all stakeholders (employees, customers, and shareholders). New leadership team has a valid strategic vision and is taking steps to achieve it - I have seen progress since I joined the company 2 QTRs ago. The high growth environment has given me the chance to play a visible role in building this company's success, and seeing the tangible results of those efforts is rewarding. I can only speak for my department, but we've brought on top notch senior leadership with real experience running large software/technology corporations and the teams that power them. Every day I get exposed to great minds across various functions - some of the smartest people I've worked with and usually willing to share their knowledge if you just ask. Is our stock through the roof? No, but fixing that problem is part of the fun!

To address the concerns of other reviewers: (1) I don't believe that the Marketing department is posting falsely positive reviews on this site. I've met plenty of people who are thrilled to work for Limelight and believe they, like me, are writing authentic 5 star reviews because they've had 5 star experiences. (BTW it is HR, not Marketing, that is responsible for recruitment. Marketing would have no reason to paint a falsely rosey picture of employee engagement on a site like Glassdoor.) (2) There is turnover in some departments which is very common when new leadership takes over. I understand there have been some frustrations with changes in the organization and some individuals have left, but there are also long term employees who are still here, or have left and returned, because things are moving in a positive direction. The CEO holds open forums, luncheons, etc. to let employees voice concerns, and I have seen entirely new programs developed as a direct response to concerns voiced in those meetings. Management is transparent and open about making this company an employer of choice. (3) Speaking from personal experience I can say that salary and benefits are great. Health, life, long term/short term disability, free food... our benefits are better than many other, much larger companies. Granted I live in Tempe (lower cost than some other cities we're located in) but between the solid compensation package and company culture I feel pretty lucky to be at Limelight. (4) Employees can grow with this company. We just initiated a goals tracking system to clarify precisely what employees should be measured on, and we have visibility into the goals of senior management. There are constant product and sales training sessions, conferences to attend, articles and useful industry info circulated - no tuition reimbursement but other benefits make up for it IMHO. Given my so far short tenure here I can't speak to ascension opportunities but if you're in it for the learning and professional development it seems like an excellent place to be. (Everyone deserves to advance in their careers and I have heard many people complain there aren't opportunities to progress in responsibility, salary, and title here but I just haven't been around long enough to know for sure.) (5) Yep you'll work a lot of hours but flextime/work from home arrangements have made that possible for me, even while trying to balance family and personal life. Technology is magic that way.

If you're willing to put in the hard work, be flexible with a company that's at this stage of growth, and maintain a good attitude even when there are setbacks... then you can thrive here.

Cons

High growth companies aren't for everybody. If you prefer a company where processes are already 100% in place, or want total stability, then you might not be happy at Limelight just yet (give it 2 years). We're also still integrating ourselves out culturally; acquisitions and decentralized engineering driven organization can cause dissonance among departments/regions/old-vs-new employees.

Get more women in leadership positions right away. It's not acceptable that the entire Board of Directors, entire C-suite, and all but one a very few VP level positions are filled by men. Continue everything you're doing to address the concerns voiced by your customers, shareholders, and employees. Remain open to candid feedback.

Once had great promise

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There were some great people to work with. (but most have left, with a few exceptions) Intelligent, friendly and hard working. There was interesting and compelling work at one point. A real opportunity to leap frog the competition.

Cons

Cut throat competitive engineering culture. Shadow development efforts were frequent and often times it was who you knew versus how good the actual solution was. As a result, new products were often times non-starters or shipped way too early in their cycle as they were often great technical demos but not anywhere near ready for production. Took a very long time for various competing teams to learn how to trust each other and work together.

The frat-house beer parties on the operations side of the house gets old quickly. They are VERY lucky no one has had a DUI leaving work as of yet.

Fix your product management - its a complete mess and as a result costing you customers and placement in the market. Your competition is leaving you in the dust in all areas and a lot of your key/top tier engineers have left the company in disgust with NO attempt to retain them. Remember also - this company started in Tempe and it would appear that you feel that the Phoenix area is second rate in terms of engineering talent. Clearly there was enough talent to start the company here - and there is more than enough to sustain it if you would dedicate yourself to the area.

A long way to go

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The technology is definitely unique, and they touch a lot of different tech--there's the core CDN business, the video infrastructure, the plugin video player, the Content Management System for websites, and cloud storage. You'll get an education as to how things run and technical hands-on that will be hard to beat. There's a casual work environment and a casual feel, decent camaraderie on at least a few teams. Free deli with snacks and a few other perks. Benefits are decent.

Cons

Lack of direction from C-level, lack of insight into trends. Most of the technology is overloaded and/or failing. They're just now introducing and working on updates and expansion the competition rolled out 2-3 years ago. Losses in business are consistent with this model (last year was 25 million on 171 revenue, how is this possible for a 12 year-old company?), stock price has been in the toilet for a very long time, and we're constantly losing key employees at an alarming rate. Most of who's left is either motivated by greed (i.e. Sales people who don't want to lose their recurring commissions), or inertia, as most of our tech is so homegrown that it doesn't translate even to the competitors in terms of structure and execution. They also lose people constantly because they lowball salary--20-35% below market value is not uncommon. There's a constant, palpable stress because every department is undermanned and thus 2am phone calls are not uncommon. And, again, I point to failure rate of tech being at an unacceptable level and percentage. Limelight is constantly on the verge of losing a few very large clients and if they lose those, the business will be crippled dramatically, possibly even fatally.

How about some actual job training? After a year, I'm still not entirely sure how to do a fair bit of my job functions, and have received minimal to no training. Documentation is either non-existent or impossible to find, leadership is occupied putting out fires they shouldn't even have to touch, and your employees feel disengaged and not very valued. Some free food and occasional beer on the house isn't going to fix that problem. Invest in your employees and invest in your tech, please, because you're being crushed by the competition in every business you touch. Buying more startups isn't the answer, improving your offerings so that customers come and stay is. And it really wouldn't hurt to promote from within a bit more instead of constantly bringing in from the outside

Meh

Former Employee - Engineering in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Engineering in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The Limelight culture is great, the work environment is fun and casual.
    The deli is a nice.
    Location is good.
    Pretty good benefits, stock options aside.

Cons

There seemed to be a lot of confusion over team responsibility and empowerment to do something about glaring issues.
    Innovation no longer appears to be the focus of the company.
    Compensation is bad.
    Bad stock options.
    Management seems confused about the direction the company needs to go.
    No worthwhile bonuses to speak of when it comes to engineering.
    Company seems to be more focused on sales than anything else. Give bonuses to the people who create and support things for the sales people to sell.

Work on employee compensation.
    Communicate your vision of the future to employees and commit to it.
    Return to the idea that Limelight is a company that innovates, not a company that implements other peoples' ideas.

Love the company and my job

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love the technology. I like the changes the execs are making and I really enjoy the people I work with. I am new to the company. I really like my manager and my job.

Cons

There are just some people who don't like change and are struggling to see the big picture. Some of these people can be quite disruptive.

Find ways to help employees see the vision of what's possible.

Good to Great

Current Employee - Account Manager in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company is moving in the right direction and is taking every opportunity to listen to the employees. Yes, there is change. The company wants to become better and things will have to change in order to get there. Some people who don't like the direction have complained and left. Current employees can speak and make a difference. It is great.

Yes, there can be longer hours every now and then. We take care of customers and if something isn't working (happens with technology), then we will help our customers.

The people who work for Limelight are extremely intelligent and knowledgeable. They are more than willing to help at all times and are always accessible. I have been able to reach out to every person in the company including C-Level in order to get help.

The deli is great. It is pretty nice to have free drinks all over the place. I have no idea about someone's comments regarding alcoholism as I have seen nothing to show that. Casual dress code is a nice plus as well.

Cons

There are some cons. Internally, there is an adjustment going on with new senior management as can be expected. The new executives are smart people and understand business. They aren't here to hurt the company and haven't come in with their own ideas to implement with no advice from others.

Continue to be open and honest with the employees as you have been doing. It is appreciated and your accessibility is rare in most companies.

iiiirrr

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- A paycheck
    - Flexible hours
    - Decent technology stack

Cons

- Weird management
    - Nobody is clear about where they work, and what they are working for
    - Most people are old timers, and hence sticking on
    - Unable to hire top talent for a very long time
    - Operates more like a struggling government, than a 2013 technology company

You can't pull of miracles, but while you're trying, at least respect and foster growth in employees

Some smart people (left), but morons in aggregate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

None that I can think of. Even the deli that everyone mentions was created to keep employees in the building and working more hours.

One Pro actually. They company was able to fight off Akamai on their 703 patent somehow.

Cons

Where do I begin? I'll mostly discuss macro level problems at the company, peppered with some fun anecdotes.

It's clear that top management is out to do one thing, and one thing only. Line their pockets. How on earth CxOs make millions of dollars a year in total comp at a company that never made more than 200m/yr and that hasn't made a profit in a single quarter since it went public is beyond me. In the last year, one group of crooks have been replaced with another group of crooks. Insanity anyone?

There has not been any innovation at the company since just after the company went public, which is obvious by the lack of growth in a booming industry. While there was some good growth the first few years, it's clear that the company has just been running on the fumes that the pre-IPO team set in motion.

Management thinks they're the only ones capable of making a decision. They look down on the rank and file employees as "ants". Anyone other than a "yes" man is ostracized and marginalized for "not being a team player". Even VP level management aren't held responsible for budgeting or accountable for their spending. Speaking of lack of accountability, I once caught a VP in a lie. After continuing to lie for a while longer, that person finally broke down and said to me, "OK, I lied. What are you going to do about it?"

There is no work/life balance at all. I once got chewed out for not responding to an email that came in at 10pm. What did HR have to say about that? "Well, you are a salary employee". If you're not putting in 50-60 hour weeks because of the lack of proper staffing, you are not seen as pulling your weight.

Backstabbing among peers is not only not frowned upon, it appears that it is encouraged. It's survival of the fittest at the company, and the better your play the office politics game, the better off you'll be. It's sickening.

There is no career advancement at the company. You have to be hired in to the level you will quit the company at. No amount of work you do will ever get you anything more than a meaningless promotion (congrats, you're now a senior manager) that comes with no added compensation.

The company is so disorganized that if you asked five people how something needs to be done, you will get five different answers. There is no documentation on how anything is supposed to happen. Every time anything breaks, there needs to be a "hero" that steps in to save the day. That is not sustainable.

If you decide to leave the company (which is a great idea btw), don't bother giving the company notice. They will just walk you out the door the day that they receive your resignation letter. Notice that most of the good reviews on this website are from people that have not been at the company for very long. They just haven't run into what essentially amounts to the BS of upper management yet.

Here is the executive summary of the company. Shoddy products with an unhappy, shrinking customer base that only comes to the company to compete for lower price. Awful, self serving management. They are irrelevant in the market, they just don't know it yet.

This goes to Goldman Sachs, who can be said to be the real management of the company. Sell the company to someone that can actually run a company already and cut your losses.

Limelight Networks Photos