Limelight Networks

Updated December 14, 2014
2.8

Limelight Networks President, CEO & Director Robert Lento
Robert Lento

Pros
  • Free Food Casual Environment Super Awesome people and Culture (in 16 reviews)

• The Limelight culture is great, the work environment is fun and casual (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • They just haven't run into what essentially amounts to the BS of upper management yet (in 10 reviews)

• Sales function is not performing to plan, too many new sales people that don't know what they are selling (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good to Great

Current Employee - Account Manager in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company is moving in the right direction and is taking every opportunity to listen to the employees. Yes, there is change. The company wants to become better and things will have to change in order to get there. Some people who don't like the direction have complained and left. Current employees can speak and make a difference. It is great.

Yes, there can be longer hours every now and then. We take care of customers and if something isn't working (happens with technology), then we will help our customers.

The people who work for Limelight are extremely intelligent and knowledgeable. They are more than willing to help at all times and are always accessible. I have been able to reach out to every person in the company including C-Level in order to get help.

The deli is great. It is pretty nice to have free drinks all over the place. I have no idea about someone's comments regarding alcoholism as I have seen nothing to show that. Casual dress code is a nice plus as well.

Cons

There are some cons. Internally, there is an adjustment going on with new senior management as can be expected. The new executives are smart people and understand business. They aren't here to hurt the company and haven't come in with their own ideas to implement with no advice from others.

Continue to be open and honest with the employees as you have been doing. It is appreciated and your accessibility is rare in most companies.

iiiirrr

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- A paycheck
    - Flexible hours
    - Decent technology stack

Cons

- Weird management
    - Nobody is clear about where they work, and what they are working for
    - Most people are old timers, and hence sticking on
    - Unable to hire top talent for a very long time
    - Operates more like a struggling government, than a 2013 technology company

You can't pull of miracles, but while you're trying, at least respect and foster growth in employees

Some smart people (left), but morons in aggregate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

None that I can think of. Even the deli that everyone mentions was created to keep employees in the building and working more hours.

One Pro actually. They company was able to fight off Akamai on their 703 patent somehow.

Cons

Where do I begin? I'll mostly discuss macro level problems at the company, peppered with some fun anecdotes.

It's clear that top management is out to do one thing, and one thing only. Line their pockets. How on earth CxOs make millions of dollars a year in total comp at a company that never made more than 200m/yr and that hasn't made a profit in a single quarter since it went public is beyond me. In the last year, one group of crooks have been replaced with another group of crooks. Insanity anyone?

There has not been any innovation at the company since just after the company went public, which is obvious by the lack of growth in a booming industry. While there was some good growth the first few years, it's clear that the company has just been running on the fumes that the pre-IPO team set in motion.

Management thinks they're the only ones capable of making a decision. They look down on the rank and file employees as "ants". Anyone other than a "yes" man is ostracized and marginalized for "not being a team player". Even VP level management aren't held responsible for budgeting or accountable for their spending. Speaking of lack of accountability, I once caught a VP in a lie. After continuing to lie for a while longer, that person finally broke down and said to me, "OK, I lied. What are you going to do about it?"

There is no work/life balance at all. I once got chewed out for not responding to an email that came in at 10pm. What did HR have to say about that? "Well, you are a salary employee". If you're not putting in 50-60 hour weeks because of the lack of proper staffing, you are not seen as pulling your weight.

Backstabbing among peers is not only not frowned upon, it appears that it is encouraged. It's survival of the fittest at the company, and the better your play the office politics game, the better off you'll be. It's sickening.

There is no career advancement at the company. You have to be hired in to the level you will quit the company at. No amount of work you do will ever get you anything more than a meaningless promotion (congrats, you're now a senior manager) that comes with no added compensation.

The company is so disorganized that if you asked five people how something needs to be done, you will get five different answers. There is no documentation on how anything is supposed to happen. Every time anything breaks, there needs to be a "hero" that steps in to save the day. That is not sustainable.

If you decide to leave the company (which is a great idea btw), don't bother giving the company notice. They will just walk you out the door the day that they receive your resignation letter. Notice that most of the good reviews on this website are from people that have not been at the company for very long. They just haven't run into what essentially amounts to the BS of upper management yet.

Here is the executive summary of the company. Shoddy products with an unhappy, shrinking customer base that only comes to the company to compete for lower price. Awful, self serving management. They are irrelevant in the market, they just don't know it yet.

This goes to Goldman Sachs, who can be said to be the real management of the company. Sell the company to someone that can actually run a company already and cut your losses.

How not to run a company

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Exposure to digital media industry

Cons

COO is weak. Claims to be the smartest guy in the room and may very well be. Problem is, he doesn't know how to run a business and manages thru intimidation. It took him over 6 months before he started paying attention to revenues - seriously. Product management leadership is also horrendous. Went from having the worst product management leadership I have ever seen to another one that is just as bad; just different.

Treat people with respect

Unfortunately...

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time

Pros

Some obvious pros are the free or almost free health insurance coverage, as well as the free deli. You can wear pretty much anything to work. The atmosphere is very relaxed in that sense. A lot of the schedules are flexible, which is nice also.
    New upper management is making efforts to get this place on track.
    There are very smart, very talented people I truly respect, working here.

Cons

How much time do you have?

The people that actually work are seriously overworked. The stress is ridiculous! Brick walls to change at every turn. Good people are leaving because they're burned out, because they were not rewarded for everything they're doing.
    No bonuses.
    Initiating projects and improvements are not recognized as anything but "meeting expectations".
    No room for advancement.
    Taking initiative gets a "that's not your job" from your boss.
    No tuition reimbursement or opportunities to "grow out" of your position. No additional training or growth once you're on the job. It's up to you and your wallet to make that happen.

You can have as many beer socials as you want. Unless you start rewarding your employees with promotions or money for their hard work, they'll continue to leave.
    Some serious evaluation of the management staff is in order. Staff is suffering!!

Sinking Ship, grab your flotation devices

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, free snacks, bar below the building

Cons

Horrible upper management, no career paths for anyone, upper management only cares about themselves.

Replace one corrupt group of upper idiots with another. Maybe someday the CEO and SVP would actually live in the same city where the company is based.

Don't waste your time

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time

Pros

Cutting-edge products, flexible schedule, causal work environment.

Cons

Low wage, difficult coworkers, office politics

You can tell the Marketing team have been active again on here!

Current Employee - Account Manager in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you want an easy life, easy hours, regular salary then this is a great place, you can pretty much hide in here and get away with what you want.... Free lunch, Free Soda/beer..can wear shorts and flip flops..The trade off is your lack of career chances, bonuses, learning and growing in your chosen profession and getting beaten up by customers everyday...

Cons

Clearly if people can't see through the Marketing posts on here - "good to great" Aug 10th (clearly I must be working in the wrong Acct team or that dude is working for another Limelight!!), "Great Company, a lot of opportunity" Apr 2nd, come on, nothing is wrong, can't think of anything..yeah thats because your brain has gone numb!! You only need read Q2 transcripts to know this place is a mess and its not getting any better anytime soon unless we can sell it. Thats the only reason most of the staff are hanging on like me to try and make some money back on the stock!!

There is a reason there are 60 jobs open right now, over 100 staff have left since the beginning of the year..A company with declining revenues when everyone else in this space like Akamai, Edgecast, Highwinds and Brightcove are growing, kicking ass and raising cash. And as for the SaaS business, well the lack of investment from the $120m left in the bank has limited the growth opportunity and isn't enough to save this place!

Please, please please hurry up and put us out of our misery, if only Tempe had more jobs we'd all move on...

only held together by heroic efforts of great people on the front lines. If only management lived up to their quality

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People in the field and operations are some of the best in the business

Cons

Top-down command and control despite all signs it aint working

empower your people to do what is right for the customer and get out of their way

Awful, soul crushing, self esteem destroying place.

Former Employee - NOC Technician in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - NOC Technician in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free food, free drinks, looks good on a resume.

Cons

Engineers scream and Curse at NOC Techs, when upper management is notified they are told to grow thicker skin.

Have a look a who is running your company.

Limelight Networks Photos