Limelight Networks

Updated November 24, 2014
2.8

Limelight Networks President, CEO & Director Robert Lento
Robert Lento

Pros
  • Free Food Casual Environment Super Awesome people and Culture (in 16 reviews)

• The Limelight culture is great, the work environment is fun and casual (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • They just haven't run into what essentially amounts to the BS of upper management yet (in 10 reviews)

• Sales function is not performing to plan, too many new sales people that don't know what they are selling (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

How not to run a company

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Exposure to digital media industry

Cons

COO is weak. Claims to be the smartest guy in the room and may very well be. Problem is, he doesn't know how to run a business and manages thru intimidation. It took him over 6 months before he started paying attention to revenues - seriously. Product management leadership is also horrendous. Went from having the worst product management leadership I have ever seen to another one that is just as bad; just different.

Treat people with respect

Unfortunately...

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time

Pros

Some obvious pros are the free or almost free health insurance coverage, as well as the free deli. You can wear pretty much anything to work. The atmosphere is very relaxed in that sense. A lot of the schedules are flexible, which is nice also.
    New upper management is making efforts to get this place on track.
    There are very smart, very talented people I truly respect, working here.

Cons

How much time do you have?

The people that actually work are seriously overworked. The stress is ridiculous! Brick walls to change at every turn. Good people are leaving because they're burned out, because they were not rewarded for everything they're doing.
    No bonuses.
    Initiating projects and improvements are not recognized as anything but "meeting expectations".
    No room for advancement.
    Taking initiative gets a "that's not your job" from your boss.
    No tuition reimbursement or opportunities to "grow out" of your position. No additional training or growth once you're on the job. It's up to you and your wallet to make that happen.

You can have as many beer socials as you want. Unless you start rewarding your employees with promotions or money for their hard work, they'll continue to leave.
    Some serious evaluation of the management staff is in order. Staff is suffering!!

Some smart people (left), but morons in aggregate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

None that I can think of. Even the deli that everyone mentions was created to keep employees in the building and working more hours.

One Pro actually. They company was able to fight off Akamai on their 703 patent somehow.

Cons

Where do I begin? I'll mostly discuss macro level problems at the company, peppered with some fun anecdotes.

It's clear that top management is out to do one thing, and one thing only. Line their pockets. How on earth CxOs make millions of dollars a year in total comp at a company that never made more than 200m/yr and that hasn't made a profit in a single quarter since it went public is beyond me. In the last year, one group of crooks have been replaced with another group of crooks. Insanity anyone?

There has not been any innovation at the company since just after the company went public, which is obvious by the lack of growth in a booming industry. While there was some good growth the first few years, it's clear that the company has just been running on the fumes that the pre-IPO team set in motion.

Management thinks they're the only ones capable of making a decision. They look down on the rank and file employees as "ants". Anyone other than a "yes" man is ostracized and marginalized for "not being a team player". Even VP level management aren't held responsible for budgeting or accountable for their spending. Speaking of lack of accountability, I once caught a VP in a lie. After continuing to lie for a while longer, that person finally broke down and said to me, "OK, I lied. What are you going to do about it?"

There is no work/life balance at all. I once got chewed out for not responding to an email that came in at 10pm. What did HR have to say about that? "Well, you are a salary employee". If you're not putting in 50-60 hour weeks because of the lack of proper staffing, you are not seen as pulling your weight.

Backstabbing among peers is not only not frowned upon, it appears that it is encouraged. It's survival of the fittest at the company, and the better your play the office politics game, the better off you'll be. It's sickening.

There is no career advancement at the company. You have to be hired in to the level you will quit the company at. No amount of work you do will ever get you anything more than a meaningless promotion (congrats, you're now a senior manager) that comes with no added compensation.

The company is so disorganized that if you asked five people how something needs to be done, you will get five different answers. There is no documentation on how anything is supposed to happen. Every time anything breaks, there needs to be a "hero" that steps in to save the day. That is not sustainable.

If you decide to leave the company (which is a great idea btw), don't bother giving the company notice. They will just walk you out the door the day that they receive your resignation letter. Notice that most of the good reviews on this website are from people that have not been at the company for very long. They just haven't run into what essentially amounts to the BS of upper management yet.

Here is the executive summary of the company. Shoddy products with an unhappy, shrinking customer base that only comes to the company to compete for lower price. Awful, self serving management. They are irrelevant in the market, they just don't know it yet.

This goes to Goldman Sachs, who can be said to be the real management of the company. Sell the company to someone that can actually run a company already and cut your losses.

Sinking Ship, grab your flotation devices

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, free snacks, bar below the building

Cons

Horrible upper management, no career paths for anyone, upper management only cares about themselves.

Replace one corrupt group of upper idiots with another. Maybe someday the CEO and SVP would actually live in the same city where the company is based.

You can tell the Marketing team have been active again on here!

Current Employee - Account Manager in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you want an easy life, easy hours, regular salary then this is a great place, you can pretty much hide in here and get away with what you want.... Free lunch, Free Soda/beer..can wear shorts and flip flops..The trade off is your lack of career chances, bonuses, learning and growing in your chosen profession and getting beaten up by customers everyday...

Cons

Clearly if people can't see through the Marketing posts on here - "good to great" Aug 10th (clearly I must be working in the wrong Acct team or that dude is working for another Limelight!!), "Great Company, a lot of opportunity" Apr 2nd, come on, nothing is wrong, can't think of anything..yeah thats because your brain has gone numb!! You only need read Q2 transcripts to know this place is a mess and its not getting any better anytime soon unless we can sell it. Thats the only reason most of the staff are hanging on like me to try and make some money back on the stock!!

There is a reason there are 60 jobs open right now, over 100 staff have left since the beginning of the year..A company with declining revenues when everyone else in this space like Akamai, Edgecast, Highwinds and Brightcove are growing, kicking ass and raising cash. And as for the SaaS business, well the lack of investment from the $120m left in the bank has limited the growth opportunity and isn't enough to save this place!

Please, please please hurry up and put us out of our misery, if only Tempe had more jobs we'd all move on...

Don't waste your time

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time

Pros

Cutting-edge products, flexible schedule, causal work environment.

Cons

Low wage, difficult coworkers, office politics

only held together by heroic efforts of great people on the front lines. If only management lived up to their quality

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People in the field and operations are some of the best in the business

Cons

Top-down command and control despite all signs it aint working

empower your people to do what is right for the customer and get out of their way

Awful, soul crushing, self esteem destroying place.

Former Employee - NOC Technician in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - NOC Technician in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free food, free drinks, looks good on a resume.

Cons

Engineers scream and Curse at NOC Techs, when upper management is notified they are told to grow thicker skin.

Have a look a who is running your company.

LLNW

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time

Pros

Its ok, globally distributed, pretty good network engineering firm.

Cons

High leadership turnover, inconsistent strategy.

Sell Sell Sell!

Objective Balance Let's Be Real

I worked at Limelight Networks (more than an year)

Pros

Free Food Casual Environment Super Awesome people and Culture.
    I respect the people that work here so much and believe in them.

Cons

Were do I begin.
    I have been pigeon holed in my department forever going nowhere learning very little.
    I have risen to every challenge and taken every opportunity to learn as much as I am allowed.
    I cant help but feel in different to limelight in most ways.
    Our direct management in out department is friendly and engaging.
    But we have no sense of purpose goals or vision and no way to move up except out of the department.

I am being paid well below average and my responsibilities are 10 times over my what my job title says I am and what I am paid.
    No bonuses no stock options and salary does not compensate.
    In short it is utter emotional hell every day.
    I love the people and the culture and the universal belief we can be better and do better.
    I am stressed out every day I don't sleep work load is a roller coaster of everything now to nothing now.
    It's insanity I can barely function this way.

If you are a network engineer systems engineer or developer out of Seattle or San Francisco who came in the last year yeah your doing okay great review it accordingly.
    However I don't want anyone to believe if you have been here a while at corporate it is not a low paid over worked sweat shop motivated with liquor and free food.
    because thats what it is period.
    Am I being taken care of salary or benefits wise no.
    I stay why because I am a gluten for punishment.
    No because I care about my team and the people here.
    I truly want the best for the company and want desperately for all of us to be successful.
    The people and the company culture are some of the best I have experienced anywhere.

Do I believe replacing the whole C Class Executive Team is going to fix anything maybe it will in the long term.
    But pushing people to the brink of exhaustion or in sanity because you are under pressure to produce results and make the stock price go up is crazy.
    Us worker bees are tired and exhausted long before you got here keep that in mind.
    We have no resources.

Let's have some honest perspective here these glowing reviews from employees in San francisco and Seattle are just not accurate across the board.
    For those people's perspectives sure but it does not tell the whole tale.

I have worked with people in my department that have been there 5 years plus with no advancement in there careers and are learning nothing new this is a travesty.

If you are not aligned with your managers goals that quarter nothing looks even remotely promising for you.
    in my department we are the red headed step child of the company we all know it but most of us are tired of it.
    We have no resources to do anything that is productive or meaningful to help the company.
    All decisions are made two levels above us and we are told what the direction is.
    Nobody respects our department or our contribution to the company in whole.
    People look at us as something they just have to deal with in general.

Nothing I say input wise changes anything I keep my mouth shut and no longer add value because the value I add generally deviates away from the plan.
    even if my dissension is thoughtful and reasonable thought out and logical.

I had one day of training and induction to the company.
    I cant explain to you how things work or our core strategy or in detail what we do.
    Were is the training and processes for how we operate.

Every employee no matter what we do should be given the same in depth technical training on an on going basis.
    The same training that engineers developers and sales receive.

I want to know how things work.
    I want to improve processes.
    I am starving to pass on my 15 years of experience working with larger companies.
    I am starving to learn more about how we operate on a technical level.
    I am starving for opportunities to contribute and be valued in a meaningful way.

When I hear the same old garbage spin that we have always heard from the C Class I feel like I am being lied too and being sold the same old used car from the B lot I was sold 2 quarters ago.

I hate the feeling of being lied too and everything being spun to look good by the C Class.
    It's dis honest and not thoughtful or truthful.
    It's one thing to talk the talk but a complete other to walk the walk.
    Let's be quiet for awhile and walk the walk then maybe we will have something meaningful to say that people can and will believe in.
    Until then your not credible you add no value and it's just talk.
    Guess what people don't believe you either.

Read the Above I think it says it all nicely if I do say so humbly myself.

Limelight Networks Photos