Limelight Networks Reviews

Updated March 5, 2015
145 reviews filtered by

Disorganization, at it's finest.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Limelight Networks part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free Deli, laid back work environment

Cons

Complete and utter lack of direction with little to no official process in place. Management is only out for themselves and will do anything to save their own job. There is little to no collaboration but is certainly a lot of finger pointing when something does go wrong. Comp plans are routinely late each year, and the new "simplified" plan means you earn LESS money this year. Complete turnover in executive management, with little transparency in what direction the company is heading. There is NO career growth potential, so if that is what you're seeking, look elsewhere.

You're a public company. Act like one. Define process VERY clearly, and stress a collaborative environment. Reward performers properly, and eliminate the passing off of responsibility garbage that runs rampant at Limelight. Hire more competent Management.

Time to skip the Kool Aid your are in sales or most other departments

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time

Pros

Good lower management
    Good products
    Good work life balance

Cons

Executive management is clueless on how to tuna company or interact with employees
    No idea how to bring the good products to market or how to market them
    Significantly cutting sales commission for 2013
    Exodus of talented sales people
    In meeting others that world here in 2007, the issues and problems holding the company back are the same today in 2013

Maybe take a little less on your own commissions before cutting the sales teams on high margin products forcing people to look for other jobs.

If you believed this place couldn't get any worse you were wrong, VERY wrong!

Former Employee - Account Manager in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Still some talented people left, most are looking over their shoulder after the latest Exec Team clear out and new blood seem to just want can all the good people that are doing the actual work!

Cons

The new management are either blind to what is truly going on and the feeling across the company or they don't care and expect more to leave over the coming weeks and months and its all part of the plan. The cuts have been deep, the communication has been poorly managed and totally unmotivating to the staff on the floor that ultimately are having to manage the customer. As yet its unclear on targets, compensation plan ("we simplified the compensation model" - yeah its simple to understand you are going to make less money than last year if you could imagine such a thing!) Customers and revenue are walking out the door as well as good staff. Oh and lets shake all the accounts up, I mean its only the loyalty and relationships that the AE's and AM's have with their customers thats holding most of this together. Most of the new AM's are junior and yet they are managing some of the largest accounts - why? Coz they are cheap to employ!

Sell it, there won't be much left to sell soon!

An opportunity squandered

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

fast paced technology
    good client list
    free food

Cons

product always having outages
    support is below par
    management isn't clueless, the purposefully miss-treat employees
    below market pay
    management tells you what you want to hear

This company is the epitome of having a good product in a hot market at a great time, and completely dropping the ball. There were so many opportunities to make a big splash in the industry, only to accidentally take a customer site down or respond poorly to a customer by upper management. The amount of revenue that walked out of the door on operation issues alone was the difference between profitable, and the basement stock price that its been stuck at for 5 years. The single greatest anchor, is the sheer arrogance by management. When they aren't fighting each other internally, they delay comp plans, commission checks, and other fun morale killing activities.

I gave enough advice that fell on deaf ears when I did work there.

A good company with fixable problems

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

At Limelight there are great people working, committed people. The company delivers some incredibly cutting edge services. Marketing messaging is spot on. Recent leadership changes are beginning to produce results.

Cons

At Limelight there are out-dated, moldy processes perpetuating a bloated operation. The bloat gets in the way of delivering a great customer experience. Churn in key roles hampers productivity everywhere.

Focus on building great products, but fewer of them. Shed the bloat. Reboot how customer experience is measured and incentivized. Narrow focus on delivering solutions to sub-markets where you create the most value for the customer. HIre fewer and do it better. Reboot compensation to incent the change agents in the trenches.

Fun place to work, love hate relationship, emotionally draining

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free food, team outings, really fast Internet at your desk, you will learn a lot about Internet technologies.

Cons

Sales is a terrible place to be in this company. They have driven out every good person they had either because of lack of pay or lack of respect. I've seen people quit on the spot without having another job simply because they couldn't take it anymore (not the stress of the job, but the stress of their manager). They micro manage. There aren't enough technical resources for the sales people, so they are left to fend of themselves. If you're not in the "IN CROWD" you are OUT. They say they promote from within, but when I tried to get other positions I was denied each time. If you're good at what you do you will be stuck in that position forever. You have to threaten to quit to get a raise. Their pay is way under the industry average. They acquired other companies and brought over their sales people and gave them a "VP" title. giving them huge salaries and stock options, meanwhile those of us who were with the company a long time were never given promotions or raises. They give you a bonus of worthless stock options which need to mature for 4 years before you can sell them. Maybe with the new leadership the company can turn around?

Pay the industry average. Your people are your assets and giving them free lunch and a keg of beer once in awhile doesn't pay their mortgage. Let your inside team telecommute a couple days a week, that goes a long way for moral. The "old boys club" there needs to go! It's starting with Lunsford leaving!

Changing Company values

Former Employee - Operations Engineer in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Operations Engineer in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Large company with stable bottom line, at the time of this writing.
    - Second largest CDN company in terms of delivery.
    - Salary can be negotiated if you are a strong negotiator.
    - Work is challenging, exciting technology.

Cons

- More concerned about statistics and bottom line than customer experience or employee retention.
    - Constant lawsuit leaves the company somewhat off balance for the future.
    - Changing from core delivery to Saas is messy and difficult to support.
    - Top company officers are currently leaving the company.

Best place I've ever worked

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I read all 8 reviews before posting and thought I should set the record straight. I've learned that 1 star reviews you find on the internet are typically based on emotion rather than fact, and that seems to be the case here.

Limelight is the best company I've ever worked for, hands down. Their excellent benefits include: competitive salary, quality medical/dental/vision insurance, flexible hours, telework opportunities, and an onsite 24x7 self-serve deli (Tempe HQ office). Obviously every position is not eligible for flex hours and telework, but many are. Even at Limelight's other offices where there is no deli, the company stocks snacks and drinks. And you are free to go offsite for lunch despite what one reviewer stated.

All supervisors and management I've ever worked under have been open and friendly. I have advanced twice since starting at the company 5 years ago. Senior management is very forward-thinking and engaged. They provide regular updates to the entire company, and are very transparent internally compared to most organizations. No, they haven't turned the company into Apple or Google yet, but the company is continually improving and gaining industry recognition.

Limelight is a small group of hard-working professionals who have built a leading digital services provider. The company is steadily moving forward and in less than 10 years has become a leader in the industry. Our customers love us and reward us with new business all the time. We're more of a partner to them than a vendor. Anyone in the know is already aware of this. If this sounds like your kind of place, I welcome you to join us. You will be challenged and rewarded.

Cons

Limelight is a truly unique company. There really are no other companies out there that do exactly what we do, the way we do it. There are a couple that come close, but not quite. This is a huge bonus in our industry. However, the cost of being on the bleeding-edge of this new business concept is the unpredictability and frequent change and adaptation required.

Right now, the company is constantly growing and changing, and with that comes frequent re-organization and new process implementation and refinement. This can be frustrating, but if you are willing to be flexible and to take charge where you see an opportunity, you will be successful. Sometimes problems (read: opportunities) come up and you just have to own it and take care of it yourself. If you have a "That's not my job" mentality, you won't last long here. We are a tight-knit group of professionals who are not afraid to get our hands dirty and are always willing to help each other out to get the job done.

I've been here for over 5 years and am used to regular change, but I suppose many people can be frustrated by this, particularly if they are from a large, well-established organization. Limelight is still very "lean"; employees are numbered in the hundreds, not thousands. If you expect everything to be perfectly ordered and predictable, good luck in the tech world. Go work at a telco, bank, or insurance company.

Work on developing and implementing a concrete, effective internal organizational plan with clear responsibilities and processes, one with that will work now and into the future. This will provide a more welcoming environment for employees who are not

Collectively the smartest set of people that I've worked with

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Limelight team in Seattle is fast-paced and is really good at getting things done.

Cons

Too much process sometimes causing a delay in delivering products.

Great Work environment

Current Employee - Manager in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Manager in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This is an excellent work environment and definitely challenging. Although I have been here a short time, I see management is definitely very proactive about keeping customers happy and takes every customer issue very seriously.

Cons

Better integration between the newly acquired companies would help.

Limelight Networks Photos