Limelight Networks Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

You can tell the Marketing team have been active again on here!

Current Employee - Account Manager in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you want an easy life, easy hours, regular salary then this is a great place, you can pretty much hide in here and get away with what you want.... Free lunch, Free Soda/beer..can wear shorts and flip flops..The trade off is your lack of career chances, bonuses, learning and growing in your chosen profession and getting beaten up by customers everyday...

Cons

Clearly if people can't see through the Marketing posts on here - "good to great" Aug 10th (clearly I must be working in the wrong Acct team or that dude is working for another Limelight!!), "Great Company, a lot of opportunity" Apr 2nd, come on, nothing is wrong, can't think of anything..yeah thats because your brain has gone numb!! You only need read Q2 transcripts to know this place is a mess and its not getting any better anytime soon unless we can sell it. Thats the only reason most of the staff are hanging on like me to try and make some money back on the stock!!

There is a reason there are 60 jobs open right now, over 100 staff have left since the beginning of the year..A company with declining revenues when everyone else in this space like Akamai, Edgecast, Highwinds and Brightcove are growing, kicking ass and raising cash. And as for the SaaS business, well the lack of investment from the $120m left in the bank has limited the growth opportunity and isn't enough to save this place!

Advice to Management

Please, please please hurry up and put us out of our misery, if only Tempe had more jobs we'd all move on...

only held together by heroic efforts of great people on the front lines. If only management lived up to their quality

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People in the field and operations are some of the best in the business

Cons

Top-down command and control despite all signs it aint working

Advice to Management

empower your people to do what is right for the customer and get out of their way

Awful, soul crushing, self esteem destroying place.

Former Employee - NOC Technician in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - NOC Technician in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food, free drinks, looks good on a resume.

Cons

Engineers scream and Curse at NOC Techs, when upper management is notified they are told to grow thicker skin.

Advice to Management

Have a look a who is running your company.

Objective Balance Let's Be Real

I worked at Limelight Networks (More than a year)

Pros

Free Food Casual Environment Super Awesome people and Culture.
    I respect the people that work here so much and believe in them.

Cons

Were do I begin.
    I have been pigeon holed in my department forever going nowhere learning very little.
    I have risen to every challenge and taken every opportunity to learn as much as I am allowed.
    I cant help but feel in different to limelight in most ways.
    Our direct management in out department is friendly and engaging.
    But we have no sense of purpose goals or vision and no way to move up except out of the department.

I am being paid well below average and my responsibilities are 10 times over my what my job title says I am and what I am paid.
    No bonuses no stock options and salary does not compensate.
    In short it is utter emotional hell every day.
    I love the people and the culture and the universal belief we can be better and do better.
    I am stressed out every day I don't sleep work load is a roller coaster of everything now to nothing now.
    It's insanity I can barely function this way.

If you are a network engineer systems engineer or developer out of Seattle or San Francisco who came in the last year yeah your doing okay great review it accordingly.
    However I don't want anyone to believe if you have been here a while at corporate it is not a low paid over worked sweat shop motivated with liquor and free food.
    because thats what it is period.
    Am I being taken care of salary or benefits wise no.
    I stay why because I am a gluten for punishment.
    No because I care about my team and the people here.
    I truly want the best for the company and want desperately for all of us to be successful.
    The people and the company culture are some of the best I have experienced anywhere.

Do I believe replacing the whole C Class Executive Team is going to fix anything maybe it will in the long term.
    But pushing people to the brink of exhaustion or in sanity because you are under pressure to produce results and make the stock price go up is crazy.
    Us worker bees are tired and exhausted long before you got here keep that in mind.
    We have no resources.

Let's have some honest perspective here these glowing reviews from employees in San francisco and Seattle are just not accurate across the board.
    For those people's perspectives sure but it does not tell the whole tale.

I have worked with people in my department that have been there 5 years plus with no advancement in there careers and are learning nothing new this is a travesty.

If you are not aligned with your managers goals that quarter nothing looks even remotely promising for you.
    in my department we are the red headed step child of the company we all know it but most of us are tired of it.
    We have no resources to do anything that is productive or meaningful to help the company.
    All decisions are made two levels above us and we are told what the direction is.
    Nobody respects our department or our contribution to the company in whole.
    People look at us as something they just have to deal with in general.

Nothing I say input wise changes anything I keep my mouth shut and no longer add value because the value I add generally deviates away from the plan.
    even if my dissension is thoughtful and reasonable thought out and logical.

I had one day of training and induction to the company.
    I cant explain to you how things work or our core strategy or in detail what we do.
    Were is the training and processes for how we operate.

Every employee no matter what we do should be given the same in depth technical training on an on going basis.
    The same training that engineers developers and sales receive.

I want to know how things work.
    I want to improve processes.
    I am starving to pass on my 15 years of experience working with larger companies.
    I am starving to learn more about how we operate on a technical level.
    I am starving for opportunities to contribute and be valued in a meaningful way.

When I hear the same old garbage spin that we have always heard from the C Class I feel like I am being lied too and being sold the same old used car from the B lot I was sold 2 quarters ago.

I hate the feeling of being lied too and everything being spun to look good by the C Class.
    It's dis honest and not thoughtful or truthful.
    It's one thing to talk the talk but a complete other to walk the walk.
    Let's be quiet for awhile and walk the walk then maybe we will have something meaningful to say that people can and will believe in.
    Until then your not credible you add no value and it's just talk.
    Guess what people don't believe you either.

Advice to Management

Read the Above I think it says it all nicely if I do say so humbly myself.

6. LLNW

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time

Pros

Its ok, globally distributed, pretty good network engineering firm.

Cons

High leadership turnover, inconsistent strategy.

Advice to Management

Sell Sell Sell!

Great company. A lot of opportunity.

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time

Pros

New management team has the experience to take Limelight to the next level.
    Great products.
    Smart and fun colleagues
    Good vision. Execution this year will be key.
    Good work environment.
    Talented employees
    Employees work hard and want the company and it's customers to succeed.
    Great customers.

Cons

None come to mind.
    The company is still in transition -- but heading in the right direction.
    Need some processes put in place, but light on the bureaucracy please.

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate to employees.
    Continue to demonstrate to employees that you are a team and are all working together.
    Stick with the vision.
    Stay the course.

Good stop, but not necessarily a career

Current Employee - Solutions Engineer in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Solutions Engineer in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are some of the smartest you will ever meet. The products are cutting edge, and unlike anything else that even the competitors are working on. You'll get a great line item on your resume, fair amount of instant recognition. Great perks, including free food, games, and a very casual work environment.

Cons

Casual work environment doesn't counteract the overworked, workaholic, alcoholic (seriously) culture that drives this place. The stress is palpable, and there are a large amount of people who work ridiculous hours because this place is seriously understaffed. The salaries could be better, especially as you get higher up. Lots of office politics and infighting among the leadership, which has led to talented people at all levels leaving for greener pastures. Upward mobility is rather limited and slow-moving. Company has absorbed several start-ups, so culture is very fractured.

Advice to Management

As long as office politics, power struggles, ridiculous hours, and a total lack of collaboration prevail, the company is doomed to either stay where it is or sink into more decline. The fact that you are losing talent at an alarming rate should disturb you more than it evidently does.

Disorganization, at it's finest.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Limelight Networks part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free Deli, laid back work environment

Cons

Complete and utter lack of direction with little to no official process in place. Management is only out for themselves and will do anything to save their own job. There is little to no collaboration but is certainly a lot of finger pointing when something does go wrong. Comp plans are routinely late each year, and the new "simplified" plan means you earn LESS money this year. Complete turnover in executive management, with little transparency in what direction the company is heading. There is NO career growth potential, so if that is what you're seeking, look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

You're a public company. Act like one. Define process VERY clearly, and stress a collaborative environment. Reward performers properly, and eliminate the passing off of responsibility garbage that runs rampant at Limelight. Hire more competent Management.

Time to skip the Kool Aid your are in sales or most other departments

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time

Pros

Good lower management
    Good products
    Good work life balance

Cons

Executive management is clueless on how to tuna company or interact with employees
    No idea how to bring the good products to market or how to market them
    Significantly cutting sales commission for 2013
    Exodus of talented sales people
    In meeting others that world here in 2007, the issues and problems holding the company back are the same today in 2013

Advice to Management

Maybe take a little less on your own commissions before cutting the sales teams on high margin products forcing people to look for other jobs.

If you believed this place couldn't get any worse you were wrong, VERY wrong!

Former Employee - Account Manager in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Still some talented people left, most are looking over their shoulder after the latest Exec Team clear out and new blood seem to just want can all the good people that are doing the actual work!

Cons

The new management are either blind to what is truly going on and the feeling across the company or they don't care and expect more to leave over the coming weeks and months and its all part of the plan. The cuts have been deep, the communication has been poorly managed and totally unmotivating to the staff on the floor that ultimately are having to manage the customer. As yet its unclear on targets, compensation plan ("we simplified the compensation model" - yeah its simple to understand you are going to make less money than last year if you could imagine such a thing!) Customers and revenue are walking out the door as well as good staff. Oh and lets shake all the accounts up, I mean its only the loyalty and relationships that the AE's and AM's have with their customers thats holding most of this together. Most of the new AM's are junior and yet they are managing some of the largest accounts - why? Coz they are cheap to employ!

Advice to Management

Sell it, there won't be much left to sell soon!

RSS Feed </> Embed