Limelight Networks Reviews

An opportunity squandered

Former Employee - Account Manager in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

fast paced technology
    good client list
    free food

Cons

product always having outages
    support is below par
    management isn't clueless, the purposefully miss-treat employees
    below market pay
    management tells you what you want to hear

This company is the epitome of having a good product in a hot market at a great time, and completely dropping the ball. There were so many opportunities to make a big splash in the industry, only to accidentally take a customer site down or respond poorly to a customer by upper management. The amount of revenue that walked out of the door on operation issues alone was the difference between profitable, and the basement stock price that its been stuck at for 5 years. The single greatest anchor, is the sheer arrogance by management. When they aren't fighting each other internally, they delay comp plans, commission checks, and other fun morale killing activities.

Advice to Management

I gave enough advice that fell on deaf ears when I did work there.

A good company with fixable problems

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At Limelight there are great people working, committed people. The company delivers some incredibly cutting edge services. Marketing messaging is spot on. Recent leadership changes are beginning to produce results.

Cons

At Limelight there are out-dated, moldy processes perpetuating a bloated operation. The bloat gets in the way of delivering a great customer experience. Churn in key roles hampers productivity everywhere.

Advice to Management

Focus on building great products, but fewer of them. Shed the bloat. Reboot how customer experience is measured and incentivized. Narrow focus on delivering solutions to sub-markets where you create the most value for the customer. HIre fewer and do it better. Reboot compensation to incent the change agents in the trenches.

Fun place to work, love hate relationship, emotionally draining

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food, team outings, really fast Internet at your desk, you will learn a lot about Internet technologies.

Cons

Sales is a terrible place to be in this company. They have driven out every good person they had either because of lack of pay or lack of respect. I've seen people quit on the spot without having another job simply because they couldn't take it anymore (not the stress of the job, but the stress of their manager). They micro manage. There aren't enough technical resources for the sales people, so they are left to fend of themselves. If you're not in the "IN CROWD" you are OUT. They say they promote from within, but when I tried to get other positions I was denied each time. If you're good at what you do you will be stuck in that position forever. You have to threaten to quit to get a raise. Their pay is way under the industry average. They acquired other companies and brought over their sales people and gave them a "VP" title. giving them huge salaries and stock options, meanwhile those of us who were with the company a long time were never given promotions or raises. They give you a bonus of worthless stock options which need to mature for 4 years before you can sell them. Maybe with the new leadership the company can turn around?

Advice to Management

Pay the industry average. Your people are your assets and giving them free lunch and a keg of beer once in awhile doesn't pay their mortgage. Let your inside team telecommute a couple days a week, that goes a long way for moral. The "old boys club" there needs to go! It's starting with Lunsford leaving!

Changing Company values

Former Employee - Operations Engineer in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Operations Engineer in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Large company with stable bottom line, at the time of this writing.
    - Second largest CDN company in terms of delivery.
    - Salary can be negotiated if you are a strong negotiator.
    - Work is challenging, exciting technology.

Cons

- More concerned about statistics and bottom line than customer experience or employee retention.
    - Constant lawsuit leaves the company somewhat off balance for the future.
    - Changing from core delivery to Saas is messy and difficult to support.
    - Top company officers are currently leaving the company.

Best place I've ever worked

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I read all 8 reviews before posting and thought I should set the record straight. I've learned that 1 star reviews you find on the internet are typically based on emotion rather than fact, and that seems to be the case here.

Limelight is the best company I've ever worked for, hands down. Their excellent benefits include: competitive salary, quality medical/dental/vision insurance, flexible hours, telework opportunities, and an onsite 24x7 self-serve deli (Tempe HQ office). Obviously every position is not eligible for flex hours and telework, but many are. Even at Limelight's other offices where there is no deli, the company stocks snacks and drinks. And you are free to go offsite for lunch despite what one reviewer stated.

All supervisors and management I've ever worked under have been open and friendly. I have advanced twice since starting at the company 5 years ago. Senior management is very forward-thinking and engaged. They provide regular updates to the entire company, and are very transparent internally compared to most organizations. No, they haven't turned the company into Apple or Google yet, but the company is continually improving and gaining industry recognition.

Limelight is a small group of hard-working professionals who have built a leading digital services provider. The company is steadily moving forward and in less than 10 years has become a leader in the industry. Our customers love us and reward us with new business all the time. We're more of a partner to them than a vendor. Anyone in the know is already aware of this. If this sounds like your kind of place, I welcome you to join us. You will be challenged and rewarded.

Cons

Limelight is a truly unique company. There really are no other companies out there that do exactly what we do, the way we do it. There are a couple that come close, but not quite. This is a huge bonus in our industry. However, the cost of being on the bleeding-edge of this new business concept is the unpredictability and frequent change and adaptation required.

Right now, the company is constantly growing and changing, and with that comes frequent re-organization and new process implementation and refinement. This can be frustrating, but if you are willing to be flexible and to take charge where you see an opportunity, you will be successful. Sometimes problems (read: opportunities) come up and you just have to own it and take care of it yourself. If you have a "That's not my job" mentality, you won't last long here. We are a tight-knit group of professionals who are not afraid to get our hands dirty and are always willing to help each other out to get the job done.

I've been here for over 5 years and am used to regular change, but I suppose many people can be frustrated by this, particularly if they are from a large, well-established organization. Limelight is still very "lean"; employees are numbered in the hundreds, not thousands. If you expect everything to be perfectly ordered and predictable, good luck in the tech world. Go work at a telco, bank, or insurance company.

Advice to Management

Work on developing and implementing a concrete, effective internal organizational plan with clear responsibilities and processes, one with that will work now and into the future. This will provide a more welcoming environment for employees who are not

Collectively the smartest set of people that I've worked with

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Limelight team in Seattle is fast-paced and is really good at getting things done.

Cons

Too much process sometimes causing a delay in delivering products.

Great Work environment

Current Employee - Manager in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Manager in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is an excellent work environment and definitely challenging. Although I have been here a short time, I see management is definitely very proactive about keeping customers happy and takes every customer issue very seriously.

Cons

Better integration between the newly acquired companies would help.

Great place to work, excellent opportunity and smart people

Current Employee - Director, Product Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director, Product Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Limelight balances the best of both worlds. My background is primarily in young startups - with all that it entails - commitment to changing a market, bringing new products to market, ability to be flexible to changing market dynamics and customer requests. And even though Limelight is a public company, it encompasses all of that. But it's balanced by the fact that it's a small public company with almost 2K customers around the globe, where you don't wonder on a weekly basis if your Series A money is going to run out.

The career opportunity within the company is your's to make - if you are a top performer, opportunities, new and interesting projects get thrown your way. No one has ever said no to me when I have wanted to be involved in something. Add to it that the fact that I work with some of the smartest people in the industry, and it's a great place to work.

Cons

Both the company and the market is at a pivot point of change and with that requires some very intense periods of work. While I work late hours, sometimes on weekends, and am always "on", the flip side is that no one has ever though twice if I have to leave earlier for a PTA meeting or a little league game. The executive managers that I have worked with have consistently been good at supporting a work/life balance.

Advice to Management

The regular company meetings are nice - but would be great to do have more informal get togethers with executive management so there can be more dialogue that is hard to do on via WebEx.

Limelight's is a fun and great place to be at

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Culture: The culture at Limelight is AWESOME! There's an overwhelming sense of camaraderie within the team, and I have yet to witness really any finger-pointing going on when mistakes are made (and they are made at times). When there are fire-drills, everyone bands together to diagnose the issue and solve it, without blaming anyone. We do postmortems afterwards to figure out how to prevent issues like this from happening again. The folks that I work with are willing to step in for each other, when needed, and even when they're not asked to. Also I feel like we have a culture of making sure credit is given to the person who actually deserves the credit, since there isn't really any competition amongst each other (which is thanks to management and also the people).

People: Also, I find the group of people I work with very fun. We have occasional events like go-karting, whirlyball, happy-hour, board-game night, hackathons, etc. It's a great bunch of people to hang out with, during work-time, lunch, dinner, or on weekends, all up to you. I like the team's sense of humor, lame or not, since they're fun to hang out with, and discuss random things like algorithms, software frameworks, games, politics, sports, outdoor events, life, future, sponge bob, zombies, etc.

Attitude: Along with that, in my opinion, the engineers here are humble and down-to-earth. I can't think of any other engineer that I've met at Limelight that I felt was condescending, other than myself, but that's because I'm super-awesome, and you know it. Pretty much most engineers are willing to help you out, as long as they're not too busy with the project they're involved in or if there isn't a firedrill happening.

Growth: Also the management is great here at Limelight. It still has a startup feel, even though it's a public company. Basically you can grow as much as you want to grow. If you want to be the service owner of 100 services, you can, as long as you can manage it, and management will help you out by shipping a case of redbull to your door every week if you need and enjoy it. If you want to experiment with new languages, frameworks, etc, you have the flexibility to do so, as long as you can defend your position on why what you did is the best approach at the moment for you. Also the management here is good about making sure you take time off when you need to, and since the other engineers are there to step in for you, you can take your vacation without much worries about getting called during a firedrill.

Management: I can only speak for management within my group, but management has done a good job of making sure to try to prioritize project and filter requests if it's not a priority, so that engineers can spend more of their time working on things that make the product better for our customers. Of course, some requests (internal or not) trickle down to us that should've been filtered, but nobody's perfect.

Transparency: With that, I feel that management is pretty transparent with us. They tell us how it is, and answer our questions, as long as it doesn't violate any of the rules of being a public company. I feel like management definitely hears the employees, and is real with us when they say they're going to do something about the issue, or if the issue isn't a big enough priority right now.

Brilliance: There's a lot of brilliant minds here at Limelight, that can help give you guidance, and help you grow. Lots of good managers that want to help you grow, and will open up opportunities for you, and will go to bat for you.

Innovation: Here at Limelight, they do value innovation and hard work, so your efforts don't go unnoticed. Your peers also recognize you for what you contribute, and will fight for your recognition if it goes unnoticed. There's also good incentive programs within Limelight to promote innovation.

Vision: Lastly, I like the vision that management has. I do believe that Limelight has a great future ahead of it. I also love how Limelight is a customer-based culture, so the work that you do here is to help your customers and in-kind the customers will thank you for it. Due to being customer-centric, sometimes developers will get involved with customers directly to implement a new feature or to solve an issue, so I believe it's a positive in terms of engineer growth aspects.

Cons

Collaboration: Since Limelight has several separate groups that work on different products, I don't think Limelight does a stellar job of coordinating work effort. There isn't as much in-your-face visibility on what other teams are working on and experimenting with. It's available to you via the wiki, along with talking with other teammates that might know about it, but since it's not as transparent what is being worked on, sometimes there's duplicated work. But the thing is, I'm not sure if it's any different at other places (same issues at my previous workplace). I know management heard our groans about this, and they're working on setting up a system to address this issue.

No Company Parties: Also because the groups are separated in different regions (Tempe, San Francisco, Seattle), there rarely seems to be any company-wide events that brings all the divisions in one place for a celebration. I do have to say that realistically, that's difficult to do, but it would be nice to have.

Antivirus: PCI compliance requires antivirus on my machine, which can hog up my CPU for a while, but it's a necessary sacrifice, right? That's what I'm told, right? Right?

Compensation: The compensation at Limelight isn't notable, especially in comparison to the other companies around the Bay Area. I would say the compensation is average or maybe a little bit below average. But there is a balance between what compensation doesn't provide, does it provide in other ways, like the culture and growth prospects.

Food: We don't get catered lunches and dinners every day.

Firedrills: Firedrills aren't fun, but when are they ever fun? We still need to do a better job of reducing false positive alerts, since false positive results in engineers and ops from being too desensitized to it. This is currently being work on.

Restrictive Policy: Along with the positives of innovation, there's some negatives. I do feel like Limelight's policy on side-projects is a quite restrictive. Basically if you plan on working on your own side-projects on your own time with your own machine and software, Limelight supposedly can take claim over that side-project. Of course, you can take full ownership of it if you tell Limelight about it and have them determine within a specified timeframe if they want to own that project or not, but I feel like if you're doing it on your own time with your own resources and you're not working on a competing project using Limelight's IP, then it should be 100% your own project. Of course, being able to determine it's not a competing project can be very subjective, and not one person knows all of Limelight's IP.

Mandatory Tasks: Like with most companies, there are times you're handed boring tasks. There's really nothing you can do about it since those boring tasks need to get done. On the positive side of things, the PMs and managers try to distribute these tasks so not one person is overwhelmed with projects that they don't find interesting.

Meetings: As we grow, we've been having more and more meetings. Meetings are used as a way to disseminate information but to also better collaborate. There have been times that there were too many meeting, and all of these meetings is really not due to management, but due to the engineers. Since we, the engineers, are the ones that set up these meetings for design reviews, hiring process, etc, we can't blame anyone but ourselves. On the positive side of things, this is all in our control.

Advice to Management

Continue to push your vision, and unify the groups, to deliver a great product that can change the industry.

Also I would love to have more time dedicated to growth, meaning that instead of spending time of projects that come down from customers, management, etc, I would love it if some time was dedicated to working on projects that can benefit the company, like research new frameworks, etc.

It would also be nice to have a competitive salary amongst the top companies in the Bay Area.

Lastly, I would like the policy on personal side-projects to be a little bit more lax, if possible. Unfortunately this policy deters me from pursuing side-projects or results in turnover, since it's the same as working on the weekends if the side-project ends up being owned by the company. In that scenario, the only incentive for doing so is for the betterment of the company, which is good, but that weekend time could also be spent enjoying the outdoors too. In the end, this may result in less innovation due to engineers not experimenting with new technology, and also results in dissatisfaction with the company itself.

Best job I've had

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture of the Seattle office is second to none. Everyone's working together to make great products. We have almost no conflict between engineering, management, product and sales.

You might not believe this, but as a software team, we get to spend the time we need to deliver high quality, maintainable software, rather than rushed, buggy crap. Both product management and sales respect the engineering team's recommendations and only occasionally oversell / overcommit.

Cons

Some of the company policies coming from HQ can introduce unnecessary overhead around things like machine acquisition and deployments, but even this is kept in check by excellent management.

Advice to Management

Continue growing toward the more agile, less process driven ways of doing things. Follow the lead of the Seattle office to develop a collaborative, trust-based environment throughout the entire company.

RSS Feed </> Embed