Limelight Networks

Updated August 27, 2014
2.9

Limelight Networks President, CEO & Director Robert Lento
Robert Lento

Pros
  • The Limelight culture is great, the work environment is fun and casual (in 16 reviews)

• Great perks, including free food, games, and a very casual work environment (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • They just haven't run into what essentially amounts to the BS of upper management yet (in 9 reviews)

• Sales function is not performing to plan, too many new sales people that don't know what they are selling (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Best place to work... anywhere!

Current Employee - Sales Operations  in  Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Operations in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I am so lucky to be working at Limelight. My spouse, family, and friends are all jealous, and when I hear about their jobs, I can't blame them! They care about and take care of their employees. Tons of perks, from a free deli and several fully stocked break areas, to free healthcare, to the very relaxed work environment. They value employee contributions and seek their input in decision making. They find your talents and your strengths and let you utilize them. If you’re not in the perfect position, that’s ok, you can get there while you’re working at Limelight. Seriously, the best job I've ever had.

Cons

I wish there was a more consistent experience across the company. I realize it’s impossible to have nothing but perfect managers across the company, but given some of the negative reviews and comments, it shows that there’s some inconsistency.

Find a way to repeat what we’re doing well across the entire organization. Everyone should have the opportunity to love their job as much as I do, and I think that has a lot to do with direct managers.

Great place to work if you are a self starter

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- At epicenter of growing market for digital presence
    - Lots of opportunities for growth
    - Startup environment in a financially solid company
    - Risk taking is accepted and rewarded

Cons

- Not a lot of process
    - In the doghouse with Wall Street right now
    - Leadership is geographically dispersed

Provide a unified goal to the troops and they will rally around you.

Sales/Business Development

Current Employee - Sales/Business Development  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales/Business Development in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Incredible technology, huge market opportunity, fun place to work, great to see your technology used by consumers all over the world.

Cons

Can't think of any major cons.

Remain on current strategy. Building high-value SaaS solutions will lead to a bright future.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Generally a good working environment, but the company is trying to figure out what it wants to be when it grows up.

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time

Pros

Free food/drinks, casual work environment, nice office space, many talented individuals, afforded individual freedom. Good benefits package and competitive compensation (there is an opportunity for RSUs). While the company has much maturing to do, they seem to slowly be making progress in the areas of process improvement and integration of disparate business units.

Cons

-The company has many talented individual contributors, but relatively weak leadership. I am surprised that there has been virtually no change in the leadership team in recent years given the financial results of the company.
    -The company seems to be constantly chasing the tail of competitors and redefining itself.
    -Innovation seems to happen despite the focus on day-to-day operations as opposed to having people focused on innovation and research as a primary function.
    -The executive team is rarely seen. On a positive note, they are heard from and do share information on a regular basis. I feel like they are missing a big part of the picture because of the lack of interaction with the 'common folk'.

As much as I dislike micromanagers, the senior leadership team should spend more time interacting with individual contributors. How about a few working teams on some hot topic areas or a brown bag lunch with a few departments? I would also like to see the employees have the same rules on compensation as the executives (ex: if executive RSUs partially vest immediately, so should all other employees).

Fast Growing, Great Environment

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time for less than a year

Pros

The Seattle office is the only place I've worked where everyone is uniformly brilliant AND where no one is a huge egomaniac about it. Suggestions are considered, and all questions are patiently answered.
    Free snacks and drinks. A box of fresh fruit is delivered every Monday!
    Developers are encouraged to take ownership of services, and take pride in their work.
    Hours are incredibly flexible, so long as work is getting done.
    Seattle office is in a great location, within a few blocks of bus tunnels, Pioneer Square, and Pike Place Market.

Cons

Occasional bureaucratic or inter-departmental drama, but managers tend to shield developers from the brunt of it.
    Okay benefits. Instead of buying me a bus pas, they give me access to some 3rd party website where I can divert money to buy one tax-exempt.

Limelight Networks is a great company

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time for less than a year

Pros

First of all, this is a great company to work for. I have a voice, people listen, and I work with a great team. I have worked for other software companies in the past, and I would have to say this has been the best experience so far. Everyone here is passionate about our products and very knowledgeable in their role. There are many opportunities for growth and we are constantly looking for new talent.

Cons

I can’t really think of any cons. I like my job. A critique of mine for the company would be that we could use a better method for obtaining needed hardware and software. Currently it is a little tough getting that needed software and hardware without having to contact various people and wait several weeks for the items to arrive. Other than that I really don’t have any complaints.

The management is great here at Limelight Networks. Management makes me feel like a team player.

Limelight - Amazing technology, Creative Employees, and of course the Deli

Current Employee - Network Engineer  in  Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with one of the best high performance computing platforms on a day to day basis. The company has some of the best engineers in the industry. The ability to learn something new everyday is wonderful for a growing employee/career. The flexibility of hours allows for greater performance from employees along with meeting personal needs. Team work along with individual work. Work hard and get rewarded.

Deli is better then subway, variety of snacks, soups, make your own concoction. Always ready to fuel the employees.

Cons

After working at many different places, this is one place that if there is a complaint take it up with upper management to get it corrected. Management is very proactive about complaints and correcting the cons. From my previous place of employment this is a dream career come true.

Keep encouraging the employees to work hard.

Great team, challenging projects, fun atmosphere, customer focused

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great balance of focus on delivering features to customers while also having fun and a life. Great management and a startup feel with backing and strength of a big company. Great support from entire management chain from CEO to local managers.

Great team of intelligent and fun co-workers.

Cons

(minor quibbles) Seattle office not as nice as Tempe, not as many free perks. Some legacy systems (but we have prioritized refactoring those)...

not much to complain about really.

Keep: great culture and balance that we've got going, employee engagement, continuous improvement
    Improve: central bureaucracy/politics from the "mother ship" keeps threatening to creep in and slow us down, but we (executives + management + employees) are managing to keep it at bay so far.

Limelight is a great place to work.

Current Employee - Operations Engineer  in  Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Operations Engineer in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture is great. There is a high degree of professionalism that isn't hampered by stuffy, outdated "business" practices. Limelight is a great place to learn and grow and figure out what part of the industry you want to concentrate on. There is so much room for growth and movement that your career can be made entirely within the company.

Cons

The amount of work that needs to be done isn't always managed properly. Like most companies Limelight tries to more with less, and this philosophy extends to personnel. This isn't always a bad thing, but the compensation doesn't necessarily follow the increased job responsibilities.

Very good place to work, glad I landed here.

Current Employee - Solutions Engineer  in  Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Solutions Engineer in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time for less than a year

Pros

The technology is fairly unique. There aren't a lot of competitors in the CDN or video delivery world, and they've carved out a good area of business. There's a smaller company feel to the environment, with casual dress code, lots of little perks (excellent benefits, plenty of vacation time, telework opps, free onsite deli in the Tempe HQ and lots of snacks in the other offices). Most of management is fairly engaged and in touch with needs, and crew is fairly knowledgable. Bosses are very proactive when it comes to finding and acknowledging team's ongoing projects and challenges. Salaries are fairly competitive. Laid-back office allows people the chance to unwind with games, pool table, etc. Very interested in providing you what you need, equipment-wise, to succeed, and do not balk at equipment or reimbursement for travel costs, unlike other organizations I have worked for. I enjoy working here and have even referred a handful of friends and former colleagues. I've even had a couple of nibbles for a bit more money since starting and have turned them down based on what I have in hand here. It's not perfect (where is, I'd ask), but it's good enough to make it a coveted place to work in my book.

Cons

You will work fairly hard for your salary, and in some cases the company needs to hire/train more resources to cover certain project areas which frequently come up, rather than heavily exploit a few resources that are already spread thin over other areas (on-call rotations are a sore subject sometimes because of this). Merging of several different companies has resulted in a slightly fragmented culture that hasn't quite unified yet; this is especially apparent in relationships between certain departments at times (i.e. technical and sales). Because of the acquisition history, some platforms are bleeding edge while others depend on legacy technology, which translates to a weird mishmash.Training is way behind the curve, with minimal documentation and an onboarding process that can easily take months. Sometimes, management doesn't always know what exactly is happening with their teams/projects, although they do take care to try and stay on top of developments. Salary is good, but some larger companies with similar roles can afford to do better by between 20-30% typically. Finally, because it is a smaller IT niche, not all skills learned here will necessarily benefit you down the road if you're looking for a place that will act as a rung in your ladder of career advancement and learning.

Hire a few more people, create a bit more transparency and employee communication, and talk more with your people about needs, growth, and career path.

Worked for Limelight Networks? Contribute to the Community!