Linamar

Updated February 19, 2015

Linamar CEO and Director Linda S. Hasenfratz
Linda S. Hasenfratz

Good place to learn

I have been working at Linamar full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of overtime if you want it
    Exposure to many different areas and technology
    Good teamwork
    Ability to get licensed in a trade

Cons

Management does not appreciate anything/anyone
    Work overloading
    Lower pay
    Very profit driven at expense of employees

Respect employees more

Sales Engineer

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Livonia, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Livonia, MI

I worked at Linamar full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Strong focus on employee development and retention. An emphasis on doing what they do best, better, for the benefit of all stakeholders.

Cons

Need to build a stronger research and development program throughout all core competencies that not only supports lean initiatives, but develops innovation and a leader of processes and technologies.

Should find a better strategy to employee communication.

They didn't know how to actually be an effective automotive supplier.

Former Employee - Engineer in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Engineer in Detroit, MI

I worked at Linamar full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I was paid a decent amount of money for my position and my benefits were very good. They also paid out mileage when traveling between the two offices.

Cons

I was hired as a software developer, but never given direction on what to work on. The manager of the group had a very hands off approach to managing, which meant that he had no clue to what was going on. We had quarterly reviews, but our goals were never concretely defined. Many of the people in the company had the view that projects were job security, and never shared information when needed. There was no real project management process that was followed, deadlines were not real, freeze dates were ignored, and designs were changed constantly. One guy would constantly be argumentative, and was never disciplined because of personal relationships with management. The was no room for growth in the company whatsoever.

A thorough examination of the goals and processes needs to be reviewed if the engineering department is going to be successful. An honest look at why so many people have quit in such a short time is very needed. The entire style of management is flawed.

Strong company, very financial-minded strategy

I worked at Linamar

Pros

wide variety of people in day to day basis

Cons

sometimes staff is spread thin

Strong financially stable company

I have been working at Linamar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Many manufacturing based career options and in plants concentrated around Guelph, Canada

Cons

an "unknown" player in the USA

Great people but very monotonous jobs and hard to get initial opportunity to advance.

Former Employee - Line Setup in Guelph, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Line Setup in Guelph, ON (Canada)

I worked at Linamar

Pros

My coworker at Linamar were great for the most part. I was given opportunities to move up in the company and was given a decent wage for the area.

Cons

HR listens little to the complaints of the employees on the shop floor. Overtime was crazy and rotating shifts were even worse.

More employee appreciation. Perhaps no more rotating shifts and instead hire people for one shift. That way if your hired for afternoons and complain it makes no difference since you know from day 1 Thats your shift.

Not bad but not good.

Former Intern - Design Engineer in Guelph, ON (Canada)
    Former Intern - Design Engineer in Guelph, ON (Canada)

I worked at Linamar as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Linamar is a huge manufacturing company. 2nd biggest in Canada so it's definatley a good name to have on your resume if that's what you're looking for. Depending on the management and plant it can be a pretty solid work term. If you are planning on working here the best plants are CAMTAC and LINERGY (I'd even give these two a 4 star rating).

Cons

Becuase the company is so big and it is manufacturing the hours are not flexible although that can change depending on your manager. Again depending on the facility you might have a hard time time finding any meaningful work to do.

You need to get co-op students involved. I've over heard the founder of this company (Mr. Hazenfratz) say that we need to give co-ops better work and he's right. A lot of technology companies take co-ops seriously in the sense that meaningful work is always on hand.

Good company, cares about the workers

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Guelph, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Guelph, ON (Canada)

I worked at Linamar full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Easy job... Defined schedule... If you get on an easy machine, it's really not that bad

Cons

Schedule is pretty inflexible and if you get stuck on a machine you don't like, that could be a bad thing

Excellent company to work for.

Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Guelph, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Guelph, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Linamar full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

respectful environment, competitive salary and great place to work.

Cons

Dealing with Heavy parts every day.

Hiring process should be quick.

Machine operator

Current Employee - CNC Machine Operator in Guelph, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - CNC Machine Operator in Guelph, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Linamar full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- lots of steady work (unless you happen to be associated at all with skyjack watch out for the great purge of sept)
    - Most of the people are great to work with, support from other plants is mostly always available.
    - starting wage is ok.
    - benefits are ok, need better dental coverage thou.

Cons

- expected to work ridiculously long hours, week after week for very long periods of time ie) up to longer than 6mths at a time without any reprieve for the workers. This severely impacts family life at home, divorce rates in linamar are very high from what I can gather from ppl.
    - pay after putting in years of service seems to dip significantly, added to this is if you don't make friends with the right people. Even if your fully competent in your dutys you will be looked over very easily as there are lots of strong friendship networks engrained within management. Who in turn will promote cousins or a family member of a friend.
    - work culture is generally pretty poor, attitudes of most people are very bad partly due to above. Added to this is the hiring of unskilled workers fresh off the boat so to speak. Who lack basic language and math skills, this can jeopardize their safety and put others at risk of injury.
    - lack of tools & equipment to do the job properly, often having to share tools across multiple machines slowing the rate of production which is counter productive. Also watching the folks in maintenance spend countless hours trying to reuse completely broken equipment because of the lack of funds or even basic spare parts resulting in machines being down for even longer than expected periods of time. Quality having to use cheap made in China gauges which work for the first month or so but quickly degrade.
    - lack of respect given to employees who have been with the company for 15+ years. Years of service mean nothing and anyone can be replaced at the drop of a hat. Which is true in most places of employment but management tends to remind you on a frequent basis at linamar. And Speaking to hr does nothing about any issues it does only the opposite of preventing them as they go right to the people who are at fault and look for ways to either get rid of the problem ie) you! or cover it up.

- start going to church and praying for forgiveness
    - real Change can only begin at the director level and above. Giving back a little respect to the employees actually does go a long way.
    - remember every single person is a human being with family's to go home to every night.
    - every single matrix/chart we have at linamar are all numbers based, and this in turn is how you view your employees at present this culture needs to change. Don't make these so visible to the employees, it's really belittling to the average employee.

"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."

Linamar Photos