Lincare Holdings

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

John P. Byrnes

Pros:
  • "can be a decent entry level position to get some experience before moving on"
    in 5 reviews
  • "The compensation is good and they take care of their sales reps"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management has lost sight of the roots of it's business - their employees"
    in 26 reviews
  • "in the span of 5 years we went through 6 Sales Reps"
    in 20 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Highly motivating environment to work in.

Center Manager (Former Employee)
Logan, UT

I worked at Lincare Holdings full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDME is a stable industry and Lincare is big enough to take cuts and keep on ticking.

ConsYou need to have a good work ethic and willing to put in long hours when needed.

Sales

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Lincare Holdings full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLincare takes care of their employees. Due to illness early retirement was the only answer and Lincare made the transition as pleasant as possible.

ConsLincare management encourages questionable selling tactics. Reps are instructed to undermine the competition even if it means misrepresenting facts to potential clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement could offer more clarity to the reps in the field and could be more "up front" during the hiring process.

Horrible and unprofessional! Constant fighting with other Lincare centers. Sales strategies were old and unfocused.

Center Manager (Former Employee)
Arcadia, FL

I worked at Lincare Holdings full-time for more than a year

ProsLike any other DME company, the patients are the most rewarding aspect. Lincare's size is rewarding for patients who travel frequently.

ConsTurnover, lack of a formal operational training program, low pay, horrible mileage reimbursement.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and invest in them.

I never knew a company could be so horrible to work for

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Lincare Holdings full-time for less than a year

ProsGood training program called Qp3 teaches clinical and sales techniques

ConsI honestly read the reviews on here before starting and thought wow only quitters or those unable to make it in the real world or disgruntled employees post here the happy one's wouldn't post here so take what is written with a grain of salt..... I was so wrong. They will talk about the growth opportunity only they don't tell you you won't or don't want to be there if and when your work pays off. I've never seen a company with such a high turnover I honestly think it's on purpose to avoid paying commissions. 1300 locations and 30 year old company and they have no way to track commissions. Everything about the company is focused on saving a penny. One computer every 2-3 sales people it's old green screen and super slow to use. They expect all sales people to enter in all calls only Fri afternoons at the same time other sales people need computer (but with just one computer to enter 60 plus sales calls). Training videos are on VHS and from the 60's. No matter what you do good on there is always something you need to improve on. Top sales in district for one thing well why didn't you do better in another area. Getting paid and reimbursed for expenses is a joke. Expect to spend $500 a week on food lunches and snacks, don't ever expect to get reimbursed. They are always inventing new reasons why your expense should be denied. Paid in cash denied, bought snacks for two separate doctors one receipt denied, they don't recognize the menu item the nurse ordered denied. No support from management at all. Expect to work six and seven day weeks and still not get things finished. Here is the biggest takeaway no matter how good you are you will never find job satisfaction at Lincare.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy bother I've had the number two in the company sitting in my office say I've never heard of any problems that you speak of.

Lincare was a nice place to get started

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Lincare Holdings

ProsKnew how to roll out new projects.

ConsArea Management was not very good, and seemed to be picked for interesting reasons.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more selective and attentive to area management. Are these people really adding to the company?

If it looks like S......Smells like S...then it probably is S...

Senior Service Representative (Former Employee)
Elizabethtown, KY

I worked at Lincare Holdings full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGenuinley cared about my patients..I was a Senior Service Tech for about 5 years...When I was driving nobody really bothered me

ConsDon't trust anybody..Our turnover was stupid ridiculous...in the span of 5 years we went through 6 Sales Reps..7 drivers..about 100 clinicians...The manager there now couldn't manage a Wendys

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice??..Lets put it this way...when I left 15 patients switched companies...They cant make 90 percent on concentrator checks and they finish each month negative as far as setups..What do you think??!/

Upper management is horrible. Very difficult to get paid commissions

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at Lincare Holdings full-time for more than a year

ProsReally good first sales job, good training. If you want to get into the medical sales industry/pharmaceutical sales this is a good first job because you learn a lot about the industry and you call on physicians regularly.

ConsThe job can be very frustrating at times due to how the company is structured. They have a very high turnover rate and nobody really stays with the company for more than a year. They make it nearly impossible to get paid the commission that is owed and there's no way to track it (conveniently).

Advice to Senior Managementspend some time in the centers and learn about the struggles that we face daily with the changes medicare has implemented.

upfront review

Upfront Review, Collections (Former Employee)
Casper, WY

I worked at Lincare Holdings full-time for more than a year

Prossomewhat family oriented when convient but at month end itdoesnt matter if youre dying

Consdont back employees, dont stand behind their word, cheat on time clocks and cheat on vacation time as bosses see fit. different set of rules for "teachers pets" no loyalty

Advice to Senior Managementrecognize your loyal employees, it will help moral when everyone including management has to follow same rules. And if an employee has a difference in opinion with "up and coming" supervisors and its legit, have an an area manager that doesnt cower. A;so when a supervisor is cheating time clocks it should be an action against supervisor not employee that points it out.

I learned to survive in a very negative environment!

District Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Lincare Holdings full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe ONLY pro is the experience you gain which is a stepping stone into the medical arena.

ConsUpper management leads by intimidation. Very little positive reinforcement. You are only as good as your last month. Micro management runs rampant. A common comment among employees was " Let the beatings continue until morale improves " Speak your mind, you are gone! Make a suggestion, don't bother, they don't listen. It is a good ole boys club. Turnover is rampant with the sales representatives. Very antiquated systems and standard operating procedures!

Advice to Senior ManagementMove into the 20th century with your operating procedures. Your system is outdated. Listen to the folks in the field they are the ones who make you your money. Get in the car and make sales calls with your reps. Help them make the calls instead of lurking in the background and then critiquing them! You need to be looking at your divisional managers, they do very little to help. Especially in California.

Learn All You Can and Try Not to Bring Attention to Yourself

Lincare Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Lincare Holdings full-time

ProsWhile the base pay is low, there is a tremendous opportunity to make great commissions with bonuses. You aren't told about the bonuses, and only know what they are after asking payroll what the extra commission is on your check. Great education initially. QP3 was a great introduction into sales.

ConsBonusing brings attention to yourself. Try to not do it. While you have great initial training, you aren't given follow-up. You can ask for it, but chances are you won't be given it. Don't ever, ever try to be an independent thinker. Ever. Don't trust anyone. Even if you think you can, you can't. There is always someone who wants you gone. Technology in this company is sub-par. While i realized AS400 is nearly impervious to hackers, it's also a pain in the butt to deal with. 60 STSi entries a week? It consumes either an entire Friday or an hour per morning of precious sales time. It's counterproductive. Friday conference calls are also often disappointing and pointless. Leadership from District Managers is a joke. I couldn't ask questions of my DM and expect an actual, applicable answer.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut the crap. Your sales force holds you up and can be your biggest money making tool if allowed to actually do their job.Upper management- stop hiring people just because they seem like a mover and shaker. Most of the people you have as District Managers are socially retarded. They are poor leaders who offer no inspiration to the sales force, only veiled threats. And for the love of God, be realistic! It's completely unrealistic to think a person has low O2 numbers in June, July or August because they are a poor salesperson. It's the Summer for Christ's sake. People tend to not get sick in the summer, hospital census' are down. Look at the bigger picture. Can you honestly say that a person who is bringing in numbers in other areas, but not in O2 is actually NOT doing their job? You have unrealistic opinions of what is acceptable during the Summer months. Instead of trying to grow O2 in the Summer, work on MDINR. It's one thing, besides UD, that will keep you afloat with all the CBA bullcrap. And please, come to 2013. It's not 1985. Your training videos are outdated, ridiculous and just plain stale and so is your company.

Worked for Lincare Holdings? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lincare Holdings reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Lincare Holdings CEO John P. Byrnes. All 163 reviews posted anonymously by Lincare Holdings employees.