Lincare Holdings

Updated January 12, 2015
Updated January 12, 2015
2.0

John P. Byrnes

Pros
  • Entry level position into healthcare sales industry (in 7 reviews)

• The compensation is good and they take care of their sales reps (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has lost sight of the roots of it's business - their employees (in 34 reviews)

• in the span of 5 years we went through 6 Sales Reps (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Disorganized, unprofessional management

Current Employee - Hcs in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Hcs in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Lincare Holdings

Pros

Unlimited overtime, mostly decent hours, good coworkers

Cons

Little to no training, unsupportive management, outdated, slow computer system.

Gainful employment

Current Employee - IT Staff in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - IT Staff in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Lincare Holdings

Pros

Great co workers and good pay.

Cons

Little support from management, no career path.

Encourage personal development and innocation

Upper management needs some training.

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Lincare Holdings

Pros

They offer a discounted price on ins. benefits after 3 years.

Cons

Higher than normal expectations with little guidance from uper management.

Practice what you preach. Share your expectations. Work on uncovering issues instead of skirting around the real problems.

Salesman

Current Employee - Salesman in Lenoir, NC
    Current Employee - Salesman in Lenoir, NC

I have been working at Lincare Holdings part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Gr8 company, good benefits, lots of opertunity

Cons

Commission is small and hard to track

Not any at this time

HCS

I worked at Lincare Holdings

Pros

None. Well maby the delivery drivers. The drivers are the best even after they are belittled and humiliated in front of the other employees.

Cons

No written policy & procedure that the employees have, so if they don't like you, old> 55 or have the right size mamemanary glands, they will get rid of you.

Your DM & CM's are not as good as they tell you. No one will tell you any truth if you tell them that you are managment. Get a p&p for the employees to have as they are hired.

Good working with bad management.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Madison, IN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Madison, IN

I worked at Lincare Holdings full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work was reasonable but not appreciated no matter how much or how well done.

Cons

Management was political and biased.

Care for your employees not your bonus. Treat all employees with respect.

I think they are getting an unfair rap.

Current Employee - Service Representative
    Current Employee - Service Representative

I have been working at Lincare Holdings full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I've worked at this job about 6 months now. First thing I want to say is this job is what you make it. Garbage In Garbage Out. This job has many pros though.

First, You get to meet great people. I love (almost) all of my patients. You grow very fond of them and are genuinely concerned for their well being. You provide a service to them that they cannot live without. Sometimes you start to feel like a milkman slinging oxygen cylinders, and then you get that patient that just "can't thank you enough". It makes you feel a real sense of pride and accomplishment.

Next, You learn a lot about the medical field. I had never even considered a medical job until I took this job. I've learned so much in the 6 months that I've been here so far, and have loved nearly every minute of it. I'm actually very seriously considering going back to school to be an RT.

You are provided with uniforms. Gas for service reps is paid via a fleet card. There is massive growth potential. Our regional VP actually started as a service rep in the same center I am working in now. There is virtually no limit on overtime as long as you are actually being productive. Pay may be a bit low for the industry standard, but is far more than I was making as an assistant manager before I started here.

Teamwork. With the exception of a few bad apples, we really all have each others backs. Our Center manager will jump in and pick up stops if he needs to. Our Healthcare specialist jumped in and replace a failing concentrator for us the other day, and even our sales rep did an o2 setup when no one else could get to it!

The people I work with are fantastic. I absolutely love them all. We love to cut up at our morning huddles, and frequently have lunches together and after work get togethers. I have probably made some friends for life.

Cons

Lots of pros, but there are some cons as well.

Work life balance is a HUGE one. If you are seriously considering this job, be prepared to work LONG LONG hours. On a good week, I'll pull about 50 hours. I've been known to put in 80 though. You have a 25-30 stop day? You'll probably be out driving until 10 or 11 pm. If you don't think you can put in a 14-18 hour day, don't apply for this job!

On Call is terrible. When you are on call, you live in fear of your phone. Once you get some time in on the job, some of the calls can be taken care of with a troubleshooting discussion. That being said, not all of them can. You WILL get a call at 2 am to drive over an hour one way to replace a machine. Prepare yourself for it. You will have a saturday where you have 2-3 setups coming in at the same time. (Setups take approximately 1 hour apiece, give or take) If you don't feel like you can deal with this, this may not be a good job for you.

Training is quite frankly abysmal. My training consisted of one day of paperwork, one day of videos, about 6 days of riding with other reps, and then I was running a route on my own. I felt completely thrown in the water and dealt with about 2 solid months of stress. About the only thing I was comfortable with was delivering cylinders, which is only a small tip of the iceberg. I was only shown one setup before I did one alone. Forget about concentrator checks and DME setups. That was just kind of a dive in and figure it out experience.

Procedures and routines are sorely lacking, so myself and the Senior Service Representative are working together to remedy that at our center. (Management is always willing to take in new suggestions and ideas.) You will just kind of be left to run your route. If you are disorganized, good luck.

You have to provide your own GPS. This is petty, but it would be nice if one were provided. And trust me, you think you know your own hometown, but you will drive on roads you didn't know you didn't know. You WILL need a GPS.

You have to do all paperwork by hand. And there is A LOT. On a typical cylinder stop you will have to fill out an entry on a Delivery log including in time and out time, patients name, description of stop. You will have to fill out a cylinder log including date, type of cylidner, number delivered, lot number, and patients name. You will have to fill out a delivery ticket detailing all delivery items. A new setup is nearly a dozen hand written pages. You will learn to despise paperwork and hoard pens.

If your office is a liquid oxygen office that doesn't do milk canning, you will have to get a class B CDL with hazmat endorsement. This will be done on your own time. It's challenging to pass, and not cheap. I had to pay $100 for the CDL test (Better pass first try!) and $85 for D.O.T. fingerprinting. (This was reimbursed, the CDL test is not.) You have 70 days to pass this. This was a source for much stress in my first few months.

Even though it looks like there are more cons than pros, I just wanted to give a realistic look into the company and what it is to be a SR. At the end of the day, the pros FAR FAR outweigh the cons. If you are willing to work hard, and aren't afraid of long hours, this is a wonderful job.

Invest in a better and more thorough training program, and you may not have quite so high turnover. Consider working with your SR's to develop policies and procedures, find the ones that work, and implement them corporate wide. I have worked as a sub in a couple of different centers, and no two centers are the same. This should not be the case. Consider switching to tablet based paperwork that could be synced and printed later on at the office. And seriously provide GPSs! Getting lost after every stop for the first month or so? NOT FUN!

It's a job...not a good one

I worked at Lincare Holdings

Pros

My Co workers
    It was better than being unemployed

Cons

Upper management was horrible.
    Employees were treated like numbers.
    Over worked and under paid.
    Area manager and upper management lied to workers on a regular basis.

Treat your employees better. Offer more incentive. I saw more people quit this job than any other. That costs the company more money.

Avoid at all costs

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Lincare Holdings

Pros

There really were no pros.

Cons

No growth, terrible management, no overall company policy and managers are allowed to create their own.

Let your employees work stop breathing down their necks.

Great stepping stone

Current Employee - Medical Sales Representative in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Medical Sales Representative in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at Lincare Holdings (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to break into medical sales industry.

Cons

Huge turnover, slow commission pay. Unqualified management.

value your employees