Lincare Holdings Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.0
John P. Byrnes

Pros
  • Entry level position into healthcare sales industry (in 7 reviews)

• can be a decent entry level position to get some experience before moving on (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Mistreatment by upper management (in 34 reviews)

• Center managers typically have a high school education and completely unprofessional (in 16 reviews)

1. answers calls and resolved issues

Current Employee - Pt Account Representative in Largo, FL
    Current Employee - Pt Account Representative in Largo, FL

I have been working at Lincare Holdings (More than 5 years)

Pros

It was a great company when it cared about it's customers and employees then the bottom line was The Dollar no matter who gets stepped on.

Cons

The only people to advance are the younger employees due to the work ethics have changed over the years and generations.

Advice to Management

Treat people equal and remember that a business only grows from Customer Service not only about collecting payment. If you lose customers then you lose in every department.

2. Sales representative

Pros

Good potential for commission growth

Cons

Have not been employed long enough to comment.

Advice to Management

NA

3. Center Manager

Former Employee - Center Manager in Milton, WA
    Former Employee - Center Manager in Milton, WA

I worked at Lincare Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company truly strives to do best by their customers/patients

Cons

On management level there are times that the end justifies the means as far as reaching quotas.

5. Good entry level medical sales job!

Current Employee - Sales Representative

Pros

Great job security. This job could potentially last as long as people continue smoking. You have your own small territory so you don't need to travel. They provide gas and phone reimbursement. The sales environment is competitive but balanced. No pressure selling or haggling just good ol' boy relationship building. Your commissions are based off insurance reimbursement so your sales pitch is rarely about price or product, just service. Competitors have the same products as you. People absolutely need your equipment so your selling yourself and the company rather than a product. You have to be good at asking for business and being tactful about it. You have to always be available and show up. You must learn to get past the gate keeper. Be prepared to keep a smile on your face while things get rough. They will get tough. Even though it's mainly relationship building, be prepared to sell your little heart out. Don't worry, Lincare has an awesome training program for this. Never a dull moment. Your day will go by so fast the next thing you know your on your coach wondering what the heck just happened. It's not the most glamorous form of medical sales but overall the company is solid and arguably the best in the business. Very few competitors, if any, will do what Lincare is capable of. It a good company with a bright future.

Cons

Pay is unfortunately low. First year you might make 50K. Second year, maybe 60K, etc. Very few make upper 80K and even fewer break 90K. Due to insurance rules, various documents are needed from doctors making before you get paid. It can be very frustrating and taxing and it's probably why a lot of people quit. Lots of paper pushing at times, lots! I hit about 75K my second year and the time and the amount of paperwork I did to get that was crazy. It drove me a bit mad. There are fixes to this problem but you will feel you do way too much work for the pay. Their computer system is based on AS400. Look it up, it's 1980's horrible!!! Unfortunately, you will run into plenty of doctors who hate Lincare. Sometimes your team will suck so bad at service you'll want to crawl up into a ball and cry. You must be an expert in conflict resolution. Why does service suck? Too much work, low paid workers, and not enough people to do it. This is the second reason why people quit. You really have to be good at seeing past this negative stuff to survive. Be prepared to get beat up for awhile. Earn your colors I guess. It's not a bad company once you learn how to handle it.

Advice to Management

Upper management doesn't have any ears listening to the local problems yet they are the ones who call the shots. On a local level I've experienced great leadership but I've seen really bad performers as well. It seems like they hire whoever comes in the door. Pay managers more to get better quality managers. Actually, everyone should get paid more. The pay is just far to low compared to similar jobs in the market. You will always have poor service issues when continue to hire low paid workers. You get what you pay for. Other than that, my local managers created an awesome environment.

6. Great place to work

Current Employee - Asa in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Asa in Clearwater, FL

Pros

work/life balance friendly workers helping people with medical issues

Cons

slow computer network work areas could be cleaner

Advice to Management

Invest in the business more, departments need to communicate better.

7. Helping people

Current Employee - Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Lincare Holdings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Helping people and good benefits

Cons

On call and weekend work

Advice to Management

Need to update systems

I think they are getting an unfair rap.

Current Employee - Service Representative
    Current Employee - Service Representative

I have been working at Lincare Holdings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've worked at this job about 6 months now. First thing I want to say is this job is what you make it. Garbage In Garbage Out. This job has many pros though. First, You get to meet great people. I love (almost) all of my patients. You grow very fond of them and are genuinely concerned for their well being. You provide a service to them that they cannot live without. Sometimes you start to feel like a milkman slinging oxygen cylinders, and then you get that patient that just "can't thank you enough". It makes you feel a real sense of pride and accomplishment. Next, You learn a lot about the medical field. I had never even considered a medical job until I took this job. I've learned so much in the 6 months that I've been here so far, and have loved nearly every minute of it. I'm actually very seriously considering going back to school to be an RT. You are provided with uniforms. Gas for service reps is paid via a fleet card. There is massive growth potential. Our regional VP actually started as a service rep in the same center I am working in now. There is virtually no limit on overtime as long as you are actually being productive. Pay may be a bit low for the industry standard, but is far more than I was making as an assistant manager before I started here. Teamwork. With the exception of a few bad apples, we really all have each others backs. Our Center manager will jump in and pick up stops if he needs to. Our Healthcare specialist jumped in and replace a failing concentrator for us the other day, and even our sales rep did an o2 setup when no one else could get to it! The people I work with are fantastic. I absolutely love them all. We love to cut up at our morning huddles, and frequently have lunches together and after work get togethers. I have probably made some friends for life.

Cons

Lots of pros, but there are some cons as well. Work life balance is a HUGE one. If you are seriously considering this job, be prepared to work LONG LONG hours. On a good week, I'll pull about 50 hours. I've been known to put in 80 though. You have a 25-30 stop day? You'll probably be out driving until 10 or 11 pm. If you don't think you can put in a 14-18 hour day, don't apply for this job! On Call is terrible. When you are on call, you live in fear of your phone. Once you get some time in on the job, some of the calls can be taken care of with a troubleshooting discussion. That being said, not all of them can. You WILL get a call at 2 am to drive over an hour one way to replace a machine. Prepare yourself for it. You will have a saturday where you have 2-3 setups coming in at the same time. (Setups take approximately 1 hour apiece, give or take) If you don't feel like you can deal with this, this may not be a good job for you. Training is quite frankly abysmal. My training consisted of one day of paperwork, one day of videos, about 6 days of riding with other reps, and then I was running a route on my own. I felt completely thrown in the water and dealt with about 2 solid months of stress. About the only thing I was comfortable with was delivering cylinders, which is only a small tip of the iceberg. I was only shown one setup before I did one alone. Forget about concentrator checks and DME setups. That was just kind of a dive in and figure it out experience. Procedures and routines are sorely lacking, so myself and the Senior Service Representative are working together to remedy that at our center. (Management is always willing to take in new suggestions and ideas.) You will just kind of be left to run your route. If you are disorganized, good luck. You have to provide your own GPS. This is petty, but it would be nice if one were provided. And trust me, you think you know your own hometown, but you will drive on roads you didn't know you didn't know. You WILL need a GPS. You have to do all paperwork by hand. And there is A LOT. On a typical cylinder stop you will have to fill out an entry on a Delivery log including in time and out time, patients name, description of stop. You will have to fill out a cylinder log including date, type of cylidner, number delivered, lot number, and patients name. You will have to fill out a delivery ticket detailing all delivery items. A new setup is nearly a dozen hand written pages. You will learn to despise paperwork and hoard pens. If your office is a liquid oxygen office that doesn't do milk canning, you will have to get a class B CDL with hazmat endorsement. This will be done on your own time. It's challenging to pass, and not cheap. I had to pay $100 for the CDL test (Better pass first try!) and $85 for D.O.T. fingerprinting. (This was reimbursed, the CDL test is not.) You have 70 days to pass this. This was a source for much stress in my first few months. Even though it looks like there are more cons than pros, I just wanted to give a realistic look into the company and what it is to be a SR. At the end of the day, the pros FAR FAR outweigh the cons. If you are willing to work hard, and aren't afraid of long hours, this is a wonderful job.

Advice to Management

Invest in a better and more thorough training program, and you may not have quite so high turnover. Consider working with your SR's to develop policies and procedures, find the ones that work, and implement them corporate wide. I have worked as a sub in a couple of different centers, and no two centers are the same. This should not be the case. Consider switching to tablet based paperwork that could be synced and printed later on at the office. And seriously provide GPSs! Getting lost after every stop for the first month or so? NOT FUN!

Overall company

Former Employee - Healthcare Specialist in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Healthcare Specialist in Miami, FL

I worked at Lincare Holdings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is a good company if you don't like to work in Hospitals.

Cons

Company do not take in consideration their employees, policies change every week to something different, and the company need to improve benefits to retain good employees.

Advice to Management

Management needs to change some policies and take back the good employees that worked for them before. Actually Lincare have a policy of not taking back people that worked for them in the past. THAT'S A MISTAKE!!!!!!

10. Sales Rep

Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Lincare Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company, biggest of its kind in the world

Cons

No room for advancement into upper levels of management

Advice to Management

Retire already

11. good

Former Employee - Medical Deliverey Driver in Cooperstown, NY
    Former Employee - Medical Deliverey Driver in Cooperstown, NY

I worked at Lincare Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This was a good place to work because of flexibility. I enjoyed working here because of the flexibility and the hours were good

Cons

on call on the week ends. every other. This was one of a few cons for working here.

RSS Feed </> Embed