Lincare Holdings

Updated November 12, 2014
Updated November 12, 2014
1.9

John P. Byrnes

Pros
  • Entry level position into healthcare sales industry (in 6 reviews)

• The compensation is good and they take care of their sales reps (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has lost sight of the roots of it's business - their employees (in 34 reviews)

• in the span of 5 years we went through 6 Sales Reps (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Outbound Customer Service Representative in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Outbound Customer Service Representative in Clearwater, FL

I worked at Lincare Holdings full-time (less than an year)

Pros

you get a set schedule, so no last minute schedule changes (sometimes night shift was bumped to day shift for the holidays but you get plenty of notice ahead of time), pay is great $10/hr plus incentives, my first month on the floor I received 4th tier (the highest), training can be stressful for new timers but my trainer was a lot of fun and I made great friends in my training class, very easy to get orders since the patients already need the items anyways (you do have to reach minimum goals), good benefits, holiday pay, great food in the cafeteria, family environment, company picnics, I was really nervous at first but turns out I am natural on the phones and was very successful. The only reason I left was because I moved and the local center near my new place didn't have any openings. It was a great job.

Cons

Incredibly strict on attendance, calling out or leaving early is a write up (you can get up to 6 qrite ups a year before you get fired). management were nice but they tend to make you feel like an idiot for asking questions and can be very sarcastic (I worked here for 4 months so of course I would ask questions).

teach your managers about positive reinforcement, of course constructive criticism should not be forgot but when an employee is doing well let them know!

Highly motivating environment to work in.

Former Employee - Center Manager in Logan, UT
    Former Employee - Center Manager in Logan, UT

I worked at Lincare Holdings full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

DME is a stable industry and Lincare is big enough to take cuts and keep on ticking.

Cons

You need to have a good work ethic and willing to put in long hours when needed.

Health Care Specialist

Current Employee - Health Care Specialist-LPN in Dover, NH
    Current Employee - Health Care Specialist-LPN in Dover, NH

I have been working at Lincare Holdings full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to make your own schedule within the work day.

Cons

Typically centers are short staffed. Too much repeating of work.

Pay increases for service reps & CSR's.Cleaner work environments.Better benefits,incl FSA's

Best place to work

I have been working at Lincare Holdings full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great teamwork, able to create your own daily tasks and work independently, great management

Cons

Pay could be higher....not too bad, but it could be better.

none

Good career site for pharmacists

Former Employee - Pharmacist
    Former Employee - Pharmacist

I worked at Lincare Holdings full-time

Pros

Great growth of business as a whole

Cons

Not enough promotional opportunities for all employees

Lincare, the caring choice in Respiratory Durable Medical Equipment.

Current Employee - Center Manager
    Current Employee - Center Manager

I have been working at Lincare Holdings full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stable company, team atmosphere, uncapped commission for sales reps, excellent training programs, room for promotions, rewarding job helping people, respiratory services Lincare offers are always in demand, you serve as a resource in the community for respiratory needs, and Lincare is a great company to work for.

Cons

Competitive industry and they are not contracted with HMO insurances.

I think they are getting an unfair rap.

Current Employee - Service Representative
    Current Employee - Service Representative

I have been working at Lincare Holdings full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've worked at this job about 6 months now. First thing I want to say is this job is what you make it. Garbage In Garbage Out. This job has many pros though.

First, You get to meet great people. I love (almost) all of my patients. You grow very fond of them and are genuinely concerned for their well being. You provide a service to them that they cannot live without. Sometimes you start to feel like a milkman slinging oxygen cylinders, and then you get that patient that just "can't thank you enough". It makes you feel a real sense of pride and accomplishment.

Next, You learn a lot about the medical field. I had never even considered a medical job until I took this job. I've learned so much in the 6 months that I've been here so far, and have loved nearly every minute of it. I'm actually very seriously considering going back to school to be an RT.

You are provided with uniforms. Gas for service reps is paid via a fleet card. There is massive growth potential. Our regional VP actually started as a service rep in the same center I am working in now. There is virtually no limit on overtime as long as you are actually being productive. Pay may be a bit low for the industry standard, but is far more than I was making as an assistant manager before I started here.

Teamwork. With the exception of a few bad apples, we really all have each others backs. Our Center manager will jump in and pick up stops if he needs to. Our Healthcare specialist jumped in and replace a failing concentrator for us the other day, and even our sales rep did an o2 setup when no one else could get to it!

The people I work with are fantastic. I absolutely love them all. We love to cut up at our morning huddles, and frequently have lunches together and after work get togethers. I have probably made some friends for life.

Cons

Lots of pros, but there are some cons as well.

Work life balance is a HUGE one. If you are seriously considering this job, be prepared to work LONG LONG hours. On a good week, I'll pull about 50 hours. I've been known to put in 80 though. You have a 25-30 stop day? You'll probably be out driving until 10 or 11 pm. If you don't think you can put in a 14-18 hour day, don't apply for this job!

On Call is terrible. When you are on call, you live in fear of your phone. Once you get some time in on the job, some of the calls can be taken care of with a troubleshooting discussion. That being said, not all of them can. You WILL get a call at 2 am to drive over an hour one way to replace a machine. Prepare yourself for it. You will have a saturday where you have 2-3 setups coming in at the same time. (Setups take approximately 1 hour apiece, give or take) If you don't feel like you can deal with this, this may not be a good job for you.

Training is quite frankly abysmal. My training consisted of one day of paperwork, one day of videos, about 6 days of riding with other reps, and then I was running a route on my own. I felt completely thrown in the water and dealt with about 2 solid months of stress. About the only thing I was comfortable with was delivering cylinders, which is only a small tip of the iceberg. I was only shown one setup before I did one alone. Forget about concentrator checks and DME setups. That was just kind of a dive in and figure it out experience.

Procedures and routines are sorely lacking, so myself and the Senior Service Representative are working together to remedy that at our center. (Management is always willing to take in new suggestions and ideas.) You will just kind of be left to run your route. If you are disorganized, good luck.

You have to provide your own GPS. This is petty, but it would be nice if one were provided. And trust me, you think you know your own hometown, but you will drive on roads you didn't know you didn't know. You WILL need a GPS.

You have to do all paperwork by hand. And there is A LOT. On a typical cylinder stop you will have to fill out an entry on a Delivery log including in time and out time, patients name, description of stop. You will have to fill out a cylinder log including date, type of cylidner, number delivered, lot number, and patients name. You will have to fill out a delivery ticket detailing all delivery items. A new setup is nearly a dozen hand written pages. You will learn to despise paperwork and hoard pens.

If your office is a liquid oxygen office that doesn't do milk canning, you will have to get a class B CDL with hazmat endorsement. This will be done on your own time. It's challenging to pass, and not cheap. I had to pay $100 for the CDL test (Better pass first try!) and $85 for D.O.T. fingerprinting. (This was reimbursed, the CDL test is not.) You have 70 days to pass this. This was a source for much stress in my first few months.

Even though it looks like there are more cons than pros, I just wanted to give a realistic look into the company and what it is to be a SR. At the end of the day, the pros FAR FAR outweigh the cons. If you are willing to work hard, and aren't afraid of long hours, this is a wonderful job.

Invest in a better and more thorough training program, and you may not have quite so high turnover. Consider working with your SR's to develop policies and procedures, find the ones that work, and implement them corporate wide. I have worked as a sub in a couple of different centers, and no two centers are the same. This should not be the case. Consider switching to tablet based paperwork that could be synced and printed later on at the office. And seriously provide GPSs! Getting lost after every stop for the first month or so? NOT FUN!

Overall company

Former Employee - Healthcare Specialist in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Healthcare Specialist in Miami, FL

I worked at Lincare Holdings full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It is a good company if you don't like to work in Hospitals.

Cons

Company do not take in consideration their employees, policies change every week to something different, and the company need to improve benefits to retain good employees.

Management needs to change some policies and take back the good employees that worked for them before. Actually Lincare have a policy of not taking back people that worked for them in the past. THAT'S A MISTAKE!!!!!!

Sales Rep

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Lincare Holdings full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company, biggest of its kind in the world

Cons

No room for advancement into upper levels of management

Retire already

good

Former Employee - Medical Deliverey Driver in Cooperstown, NY
    Former Employee - Medical Deliverey Driver in Cooperstown, NY

I worked at Lincare Holdings full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This was a good place to work because of flexibility. I enjoyed working here because of the flexibility and the hours were good

Cons

on call on the week ends. every other. This was one of a few cons for working here.