Lincoln Financial Group

Updated February 26, 2015
3.5

Lincoln Financial Group President, CEO, and Director Dennis R. Glass
Dennis R. Glass

Pros
  • Work life balance is excellent in some departments and completely non-existent in others (in 25 reviews)

• not much I can think of but a great benefits package (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • The organization preaches work life balance but that's not true (in 8 reviews)

• not enough room for advancement (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to Work

I have been working at Lincoln Financial Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The salary and benefits are good. The people there are great and high energy. Ideas take off at this very progressive company.

Cons

Things get done, but it can be a painfully slow process.

You're hiding some of your best talent in the strangest places. Don't be so high in the clouds you can't see who is keeping you on top.

Company is great and excellent place to work.

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Lincoln Financial Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good culture and nice people.

Cons

None that are top of mind.

Keep up the great work, it is noticed.

I really enjoyed working here. Great company!!

Current Intern - Intern in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Intern - Intern in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Lincoln Financial Group as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Very high pay, Everyone treated me with respect. I greatly enjoyed working here. Also received free housing for the interns.

Cons

I would have liked to work in a different department during my time there in order to gain experience in other areas.

On a downward trajectory

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Lincoln Financial Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation is average. Benefits were excellent. Most people are nice to work with.

Cons

The cons far outweigh the pros. Ever since Jefferson-Pilot took over in 2007, the company has turned into a disaster.

Employees are not valued and are considered replaceable. "Restructuring" occurs on almost an annual basis where the people with experience are laid off. You're always under the fear that your job could be gone the next day and moved to Greensboro like all the other departments.

There's always some new corporate initiative that takes a lot of time to comply with and ends up being a bigger distraction than it's worth only to be abandoned halfway through for the next flavor of the month.

Upper management is packed with arrogant folks from Jefferson-Pilot that hate Lincoln culture. JP execs thrive from yes-men. They hate anyone that challenges the status-quo or their decisions. Ideas from employees mean nothing. You're automatically banned from the "in" group if you go against the grain.

To get promoted, you really had to kiss a lot of behind at this place, it didn't really matter what you contributed. If you didn't participate in every dumb corporate initiative and buddy up to management, you were going nowhere. Promotions and every single COLA adjusment (regardless of how small) had to be approved by upper management for every single person.

Even the smallest decisions were scrutinized by upper management. Micro-management to the nth degree. Managers were not allowed to do their jobs. They couldn't take a restroom break unless upper management told them it was OK.

Value your employees and listen to them. Pay them what they are worth and stop trying to fire the more knowledgeable people to save a few dollars. Give managers the benefit of the doubt and let them do their jobs.

Good benefits and compensation but easily lay off employees

Former Employee - Finance in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Finance in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Lincoln Financial Group

Pros

Good benefits, great place to work, challenging environment

Cons

Constant reorganization, easy layoffs, very very fast pace, very high stress work culture.

Internship

Current Employee - Intern in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Intern in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Lincoln Financial Group

Pros

Great learning experience in the insurance world

Cons

Not many client meetings
    Much busy work

Excellent job reaching out to further education

Good Opportunity

I have been working at Lincoln Financial Group

Pros

I enjoy working for Lincoln. I have been able to grow my career here. I would recommend working on the Lincoln Financial Network side. There is a lot of opportunity.

Cons

I am a remote employee, so the downside to that is not being able to connect with my team fully. We have some communication issues and training in the beginning was also difficult.

Other than more communication, I am very happy where I am.

Regional Enrollment Manager

Current Employee - Regional Enrollment Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Enrollment Manager

I have been working at Lincoln Financial Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership is supportive and practices hands off management. Regional position in local field office. Great opportunity to learn the ins and outs of case management. Strong financials / solid company. Fantastic benefits. 401k program unmatched anywhere. PTO policy is generous. Great team; I've made many friends here.

Cons

If you come in with no experience you may be lost. Lincoln employs experienced, self starters.

Great job managing the company! I enjoy Lincoln and my position!

Great

Former Employee - QA Analyst in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - QA Analyst in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Lincoln Financial Group

Pros

Everything about it that i know

Cons

Nothing much that i know.

Just keep it up.

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Dental in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Dental in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Lincoln Financial Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I like my position that I hold with in the company. There are a lot of opportunities for advancement or even relocating. The work environment is positive and I love my coworkers. The training here was very good considering some of the other companies I have worked for. Benefits are also amazing! The pay is very competitive as well.

Cons

Trying to get time off the day before or after a holiday is near impossible. Even is you request it months in advance it doesn't matter because by policy they will draw names. In my department we have almost 30 people and only 2 people are allowed off on a given day. Other companies I have worked for are much more lenient with this issue.

Work with people on getting time off around the holidays.

Lincoln Financial Group Photos