Lincoln Financial Group

Updated November 19, 2014
3.4

Lincoln Financial Group President, CEO, and Director Dennis R. Glass
Dennis R. Glass

Pros
  • They do offer a good Work-Life Balance compared with other companies in the Financial Services Industry (in 23 reviews)

• not much I can think of but a great benefits package (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • The organization preaches work life balance but that's not true (in 7 reviews)

• Advancement opportunities are not given on basis of merit (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company to Work for if You Love It

I worked at Lincoln Financial Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

As an intern they seem very inclined to include you in the various departments and definitely did not make me do grunt work. They also stress the work-balance.

Cons

I sometimes wondered whether my work would have a real impact. Lots of hoops and hurdles to jump through to get anything done.

Great company

I worked at Lincoln Financial Group full-time

Pros

Salary, total benefits, good people

Cons

Upward movement, work life balance

One of the most difficult sales positions you will encounter. People don't give life insurance salesman enough credit.

Current Employee - Life Insurance Sales in Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Life Insurance Sales in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at Lincoln Financial Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Your income is endless and is based upon how much premium you collect for life insurance policies that stays in force for at least 1 year. If the client pays for less than a year, you will face a recapture of the commission. Lincoln has very competitive underwriting and are is very competitive in many areas of the business, especially the high dollar clients.

Cons

Your year isn't necessarily determined by how successful you are at sales because many sales go southbound based on underwriting. Underwriting can make or break your year. I had dozens and dozens of life insurance declines or rated policies over the years that clients wouldn't accept. Just like any sales job, you can end up doing a lot of work for nothing. It's difficult to get people to sit down and discuss life insurance. Many people are foolish enough to think what they have at work is enough and then come crawling back hoping to get some life insurance coverage once they have a heart attack, get cancer, become diabetic, or one of the many other health conditions that would make them uninsurable or highly rated, but then of course, it's too late. You are in competition with many other life insurance salesman that can sell the same thing, so it is definitely a relationship business.

It's not really about management. You are pretty much on your own to find clients and network for business.

The great benefits may not be enough for this company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Lincoln Financial Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are great! The management tries to engage employees. There are some great managers. Work life balance is excellent in some departments and completely non-existent in others.

Cons

Little room for advancement, employees applying to internal jobs are treated poorly.

Nice 401k Package

Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Lincoln Financial Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

401 K core/match are a great benefit. Work/Life balance is really good, very flexible with work schedules.

Cons

Sometimes seems that management does not listen to those underneath them.

Analyst

I have been working at Lincoln Financial Group as a contractor

Pros

Nice team environment. Everyone worked very well together.

Cons

Description didn't match expectations. Hired on for a position that turned out to be something different.

Company Politics!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Lincoln Financial Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the work that I did with the company. I was able to interact on a daily basis with clients about their policies.

Cons

If you are not related to someone there are "know" someone then you were overlooked for any kind of career change. I was not allowed to advance in my career there at all. I felt like I was overlooked in a lot of positions where I felt I was more than qualified to do. Also I felt that they gave way to much attention to the GLBTS group than they did to other organizations that really deserve it.

Instead of worrying about what your employees are doing by trying to get your employees to tattle, you need to look at the ones that are helping you to spread the rumors. Those type of employees are the ones that will throw you under the bus to get ahead. That includes going for your job!

Stressful

I have been working at Lincoln Financial Group (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great teamwork among mid level managers. Decent pay and great 401k benefits.

Cons

Horrible recordkeeping system and poor training of employees in client administration. The company has many long term employees in their Fort Wayne, IN office who are not progressive and have no external experience. Company needs to move their home office to a progressive city.

Great company that treats its people very well...and listens to them

I have been working at Lincoln Financial Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Superb people. Strong focus on bottom line and viability of business.

Cons

Decision making by senior leaders is slow; impacts execution. Everyone is allowed to have an opinion, which is great but impacts decision making.

Take educated/calculated risks. Know when to empower "the masses" but also make your decision and stick by it - that is what they are paying you for!

Great benefits; upper management makes decisions on numbers only, not necessarily reasonable user needs

I worked at Lincoln Financial Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good insurance benefits; Good Location; Good retirement benefits; Okay vacation

Cons

Supervisors in business units need much more employees relations training to properly motivate and mentor and grow staff

Don't look at numbers ... anything can be "proven" if the numbers are jumbled correctly.

Lincoln Financial Group Photos