Lincoln Financial Group

Lincoln Financial Group Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Lincoln Financial Group President, CEO, and Director Dennis R. Glass

Dennis R. Glass

Pros:
  • "They do offer a good Work-Life Balance compared with other companies in the Financial Services Industry"
    in 16 reviews
  • "If you can hang onto this job then there are great benefits including tuition reimbursement which is very important"
    in 21 reviews
Cons:
  • "Recognition of work life balance seems to be declining sharply"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Just implemented a new system for career advancement opportunities that helped with any cons I would have"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Lincoln Financial Advisers: Welcome to the Confederacy.

Financial Analyst Intern (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at Lincoln Financial Group

ProsSupport provided for those who are wishing to enter the Financial Advising market.

ConsThe company itself is not sure what it's trying to be: life insurer? financial adviser? A bit of both? Something else? As such the tone from the top is not a unified one and what happens is the individual departments (at least in the Houston office) often tended to do their own thing and would not really work with other departments unless it suited their own ends.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out what you want the company to be, communicate that idea down through the ranks and then implement it.

Good company to work for shoudl have stayed

Business Analyst (Former Employee)
Tarrytown, NY

I worked at Lincoln Financial Group

ProsIt was close to home and great people. ALot of work and very hard to stay on top of things. Low compensation and since they are based in Ft Wayne and Philadelphia, tough to move up if you are not from that area of town. People are great and I was well rewarded verbaly as well as monetarily. At the time I was there new advisors wer not brought on. Don't know if that changed.

ConsMost people have been there for a very long time and it is hard to get into the group as needed.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay in touch

Look for employment elsewhere

1035 Processing Specialist (Former Employee)
Concord, NH

I worked at Lincoln Financial Group

ProsLimited challenge, friendly employees and very flexible in terms of time off requests i.e. vacation

ConsWeak salary, limited promotions and employees who lack the drive to achieve bigger and better things.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate their review procedures to reward the correct employees

Not AIG

Associate (Former Employee)
Hartford, CT

I worked at Lincoln Financial Group

ProsLincoln Financial Group is a very stable company (despite recent share price dips); management is not interested in taking excessive risk or wading into the unknown. This conservatism can be frustrating for those who would like to see progress, but it does guarantee you a pretty stable work environment. People are also generally pretty nice - they are happy to help, to share information, to go to office picnics etc. Finally, I do think the company does a pretty good job promoting service among its employees. They even push management to join boards so they can give back to their communities.

ConsAs mentioned above, the company can be pretty conservative, to the point where they turn down projects that are necessary to move the company forward. Another downside is the decision making culture: there is a lot of consensus building which would be fine if the end goal was to get everyone on board, but the purpose appears to be more risk avoidance. Senior managers could do a better job of communicating company developments to employees. That said, I think there has been substantial progress in this arena and that attempts are being made to improve transparency and keep employees in the loop.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more openly with employees.

Great place to work if you don't get laid off.

Internal Marketing Consultant (Former Employee)
Radnor, PA

I worked at Lincoln Financial Group

ProsThe people and the product that is sold. It is unmatched in the industry.

ConsThere is a lot of gossip and rumors that go around about people. Besides that it is an awesome place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementMicro management is where the company is going but it is very tough on moral with the people that are not in management.

Overall a good place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Lincoln Financial Group

ProsThey offer promotion opportunities if you know the right people, and good benefits plans. Great development programs for recent college graduates.

ConsVery political environment. Some people can be so nasty that it comes off as unprofessional.
Don't look at prior work history if you end up in a job that is the wrong fit; you cannot transfer out if you're performing poorly.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf a positive tone was set from the top down then there would be more respectful communication between departments and employees.

PDP great if you stay with firm for the long term

PDP (Current Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Lincoln Financial Group

ProsCompany placed a lot of resources to support the program. You built networks throughout the company and gain a good understanding of how the overall company functions as one unit.

ConsThe value of the program is best realized if you stay with the firm following your three years. If you leave....good luck.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back old Lincoln national leadership.

Insurance at its Best

Internal Audit (Former Employee)

I worked at Lincoln Financial Group

ProsDuring my time at LFG, you always felt the customer was put first. The primary market was high net worth customers that wanted a holistic approach to balancing their future risks. The organization was challenging in its time of change (mergers, shedding dept, economic downturns) - but as an employee, it served to challenge your own assumptions about the insurance business. Lastly, the work-life balance is truth, not fiction. The Lincoln Foundation is woven throughout the workplace. Community service is supported during and off work hours.

ConsA current con to working at LFG would be the commodity driven approach adopted. It is a completely different mindset to working with customers and operations.

Advice to Senior ManagementI do not have any advice to offer the leadership at LFG. Ideally, the dynamics of the current leadership will not reduce the creativeness that lead LFG to its status.

LFG review.

I have been working at Lincoln Financial Group

ProsLong standing company with great track record in the market. Lots of opportunities to make money if you are ambitious and motivated.

ConsLots of work is required to make it in this business. There has been somewhat of a revolving door of management in the last year or so.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is key.

Caution - Co in transition

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Lincoln Financial Group

ProsReasonable compensation and some room for growth if in right area; may find supervisor willing to mentor and advance career

ConsIneffectual HR department allows some managers to run roughshod over good employees; recent merger not effectively implemented in many areas. Too many layoffs not well thought out.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to do a much better job of long range planning, and decisions as to what functions are performed in which locations needs to be rethought from scratch. "Talent" management process needs major improvement.

Worked for Lincoln Financial Group? Contribute to the Community!

Lincoln Financial Group Videos

Lincoln Financial Group – Why Work for Us?

​​​​Why Join Us?​​ It’s quite simple — meaningful work, dedicated people and a confident future. Learn more about life at Lincoln and how you can be a part of our team. ​​Our Culture​​ Meaningful work in a… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lincoln Financial Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Lincoln Financial Group CEO Dennis R. Glass. All 155 reviews posted anonymously by Lincoln Financial Group employees.