Lincoln Financial Group

Updated December 18, 2014
3.4

Lincoln Financial Group President, CEO, and Director Dennis R. Glass
Dennis R. Glass

Pros
  • Work life balance is excellent in some departments and completely non-existent in others (in 25 reviews)

• not much I can think of but a great benefits package (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • The organization preaches work life balance but that's not true (in 8 reviews)

• not enough room for advancement (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Good experience

Current Employee - Intern
    Current Employee - Intern

I have been working at Lincoln Financial Group as an intern

Pros

Gained a lot of experience. Met with many upper level employees.

Cons

Not very organized. Placement of interns was questionable

Make sure meaningful work is available. If not pay a weekly "salary." Many days I had nothing to do after 2 pm and had to sit there until 5 to make the money I needed. Either provide more work/career building opportunities to fill time or pay the weekly salary. Doing so will encourage interns to work efficiently and avoid wasted time.

Great for sales careers, support staff, not so much.

I worked at Lincoln Financial Group full-time

Pros

They have a fantastic benefits package and lots of upward mobility for sales staff.

Cons

Support staff kind of gets shortchanged when it comes to treatment in the hierarchy. Everything revolves around the sale of VAs.

Treat everyone equally and show the support staff that they matter to getting the bottom line accomplished.

Each division is truly different

Current Employee - Consultant in Radnor, PA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Radnor, PA

I have been working at Lincoln Financial Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Entrepreneurial in nature. Can create your path within the company. Nice 401k plan. Compensation is tight at the mid level tier.

Cons

Slow to act. Must play the corporate game. New initiatives and products are launched at 75%. Technology struggles is an understatement.

Does a great job of managing individual contributors. Unless you are in the PDP program it is difficult to move through different groups within the copmany.

Intern

Former Employee - Wealth Management Intern in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Former Employee - Wealth Management Intern in Cherry Hill, NJ

I worked at Lincoln Financial Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great people. They really put an effort into training and explaining anything you need. Internship was an unpaid position but overall it was great experience and worth it.

Cons

None that I could see from my position. Employees were given a good amount of time off and most fridays the whole team left early and went to happy hour.

Overall a great company to start a career

Current Employee - BSA in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - BSA in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Lincoln Financial Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get real work and no matter your rank, you are heard. Work with some of the most amazing and hard working people you'll meet

Cons

No formal training, too much responsibility for one person at times, constant meetings

Too many leadership and pm roles given to people without proper experience

Overall atmosphere of the company

I have been working at Lincoln Financial Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

not much I can think of but a great benefits package

Cons

Directors are horrible, they don't trust their managers! If you voice your concerns directors say you are whining. Directors and AVPs don't show enough support to other offices! How can you effectively run a office by coming into town once a month! Not enough job opportunities in the Atlanta office! The Omaha office thinks they are the center of excellence! The turn over is extremely high and the Atlanta off will be loosing more employees due to the work load! The organization preaches work life balance but that's not true! Brokers, sales reps, and account managers are rude and sometimes use bad language to managers. This company is so unorganized, no one knows who to go to for help!

trust your managers, come up with a recognition program! Open up more job opportunities in the Atlanta office! Stop making your employees feel like they are stupid and invest in your people! I don't see how this company can be a fortune anything company

Retirement Plan Services

Former Employee - Retirement Consultant
    Former Employee - Retirement Consultant

I worked at Lincoln Financial Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They have a good 401k match, and most of the co-workers are good. Mostly remote employees. Lots of autonomy.

Cons

Low comp and outdated technology. Management doesn't respond to client issues with the firm, blames support staff. Losing lots of plans due to failed technology initiatives. Most of management has never worked anywhere else so they have a poor understanding of the competition.

Good Benefits, typical large corporation lack of bottom up engagement

I worked at Lincoln Financial Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great talented, ambitious employees, competitive pay, good benefits.

Cons

Typical large corporation grind filled with corporate-speak circular thinking, no room for bottom up innovation.

There's really no point.

My experience at Lincoln was extremely pleasant, fulfilling, and challenging.

I worked at Lincoln Financial Group as an intern

Pros

The office culture was very collegial. I was given meaningful work and real responsibility. My co-workers were friendly, responsive, and outgoing.

Cons

There was no formal training program. Everything I learned, I learned on the fly. Also, there were more down days than I expected. I often found myself without projects or work to do.

One of the best

I have been working at Lincoln Financial Group as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

This is one of the best insurance/investment companies to work in

Cons

There are many locations and cultures, and as a life/annuity insurance company, there are many folks getting by for years.

Create accountability on the small stuff.
    Create clearer leadership framework 'in the middle'

Lincoln Financial Group Photos