Lincoln Financial Group Reviews

Updated March 28, 2015
242 reviews filtered by

Duh which way did he go George?

Former Employee - BI Team in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - BI Team in Omaha, NE

I worked at Lincoln Financial Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits
    Easy commute

Cons

Group protection is doomed due to stupid management. Ever had a manager that thought she was too good to manage you? Welcome to LFG.

Also in Omaha, it is called group protection. They are owned by LFG but not really part of it. The corporate people hate us as we are costing them money. Don't look at the LNC stock and use that determine LFG in Omaha is doing good, that is simply not the case. Earnings are down 60% and continue to drop.

Leadership is non existent and here are some seriously unprofessional employees and without good management no way to address it.

Put it this way, I know a couple crazies (yelling cussing at work) who have not lasted more than a year all over Omaha at various companies. Guess what, they have been at LFG for years now. That should tell you something.

If you LIke MSACCESS, this is the place for you. They do not invest back in the company at all!

Fire yourself.

2. Great company

I worked at Lincoln Financial Group full-time

Pros

Salary, total benefits, good people

Cons

Upward movement, work life balance

One of the most difficult sales positions you will encounter. People don't give life insurance salesman enough credit.

Current Employee - Life Insurance Sales in Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Life Insurance Sales in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at Lincoln Financial Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Your income is endless and is based upon how much premium you collect for life insurance policies that stays in force for at least 1 year. If the client pays for less than a year, you will face a recapture of the commission. Lincoln has very competitive underwriting and are is very competitive in many areas of the business, especially the high dollar clients.

Cons

Your year isn't necessarily determined by how successful you are at sales because many sales go southbound based on underwriting. Underwriting can make or break your year. I had dozens and dozens of life insurance declines or rated policies over the years that clients wouldn't accept. Just like any sales job, you can end up doing a lot of work for nothing. It's difficult to get people to sit down and discuss life insurance. Many people are foolish enough to think what they have at work is enough and then come crawling back hoping to get some life insurance coverage once they have a heart attack, get cancer, become diabetic, or one of the many other health conditions that would make them uninsurable or highly rated, but then of course, it's too late. You are in competition with many other life insurance salesman that can sell the same thing, so it is definitely a relationship business.

It's not really about management. You are pretty much on your own to find clients and network for business.

The great benefits may not be enough for this company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Lincoln Financial Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are great! The management tries to engage employees. There are some great managers. Work life balance is excellent in some departments and completely non-existent in others.

Cons

Little room for advancement, employees applying to internal jobs are treated poorly.

6. Nice 401k Package

Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Lincoln Financial Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

401 K core/match are a great benefit. Work/Life balance is really good, very flexible with work schedules.

Cons

Sometimes seems that management does not listen to those underneath them.

7. Company Politics!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Lincoln Financial Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the work that I did with the company. I was able to interact on a daily basis with clients about their policies.

Cons

If you are not related to someone there are "know" someone then you were overlooked for any kind of career change. I was not allowed to advance in my career there at all. I felt like I was overlooked in a lot of positions where I felt I was more than qualified to do. Also I felt that they gave way to much attention to the GLBTS group than they did to other organizations that really deserve it.

Instead of worrying about what your employees are doing by trying to get your employees to tattle, you need to look at the ones that are helping you to spread the rumors. Those type of employees are the ones that will throw you under the bus to get ahead. That includes going for your job!

8. Analyst

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Lincoln Financial Group as a contractor

Pros

Nice team environment. Everyone worked very well together.

Cons

Description didn't match expectations. Hired on for a position that turned out to be something different.

Great company that treats its people very well...and listens to them

I have been working at Lincoln Financial Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Superb people. Strong focus on bottom line and viability of business.

Cons

Decision making by senior leaders is slow; impacts execution. Everyone is allowed to have an opinion, which is great but impacts decision making.

Take educated/calculated risks. Know when to empower "the masses" but also make your decision and stick by it - that is what they are paying you for!

Not a good place to work

I worked at Lincoln Financial Group full-time

Pros

Good benefits and great co-workers.

Cons

Too much work because system requires too many manual entries.

11. Stressful

I have been working at Lincoln Financial Group (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great teamwork among mid level managers. Decent pay and great 401k benefits.

Cons

Horrible recordkeeping system and poor training of employees in client administration. The company has many long term employees in their Fort Wayne, IN office who are not progressive and have no external experience. Company needs to move their home office to a progressive city.

Lincoln Financial Group Photos