Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes Reviews

Updated March 9, 2015
114 reviews filtered by
Nanci Bell

Pros
  • Positive work environment and inspiring coworkers (in 7 reviews)

• It's great one-on-one teaching experience with all types and ages of students (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The stress and demands run exceedingly high, despite the low pay (in 9 reviews)

• Clinicians are paid about ten percent of what the parents pay (in 8 reviews)

1. Excellent job for the thinking worker

Former Employee - Consultant in Birmingham, MI
    Former Employee - Consultant in Birmingham, MI

I worked at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In my opinion, this company pays their employees well. It is a for-profit business, so the bottom line is always a factor, but they seem to be one of those rare companies that are not purely profit-driven.
    They academically screen employees the be sure they are qualified tutors and offer paid training.
    They manage to have the order and "togetherness" you would expect of a corporation, but still maintain a personal feel between employees and management.

Cons

Mastering the Lindamood-Bell "system" is not for the faint of heart. There is ALOT to learn about the Lindamood-Bell way of doing things. When tutoring is in it's peak season, the pace can be exhausting. It helps if the science of learning interests you. You have to be able to follow a script and use specific language.
    Sometimes, there is a slow season were hours may be reduced.

None. It is a great place that I would gladly work for again.

2. Good Place to Work

Former Employee - Clinician in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Clinician in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay
    Great for a summer job for a student (good pay, lots of hours especially toward the end of the summer, they are pretty nice about taking off time for vacation plans if you tell them at the very beginning or well in advance, they ask you back after the first summer if you do a good job, you feel like you've worked a "real job" not just flipping burgers, you learn a lot)
    Learned a lot about working with children (including dealing with children who wish you would just fall off the face of the earth, but also really sweet kids)
    Good community
    Very positive culture
    Fairly friendly coworkers
    Lots of positive reinforcement and appreciation
    A fairly professional environment, you are held to a high standard of maturity

Cons

Even after two weeks of training, you feel as if you are just thrown in at the beginning. The first session I spent with a student, I was terrified and forgot everything I was supposed to do. Luckily, someone sat in with me for most of my sessions on my first day of teaching, but after that first day I was really on my own. I suppose this helped in that I learned very quickly, but I felt that for that first week or two of working, I was not giving the students' their money's worth (or their parents who were paying), because it took some time to get down the skill of teaching the student, keeping the student engaged, taking notes the entire time, getting through the material I was supposed to teach in a session, and doing it all in a set amount of time.
    Sometimes dealing with bored/angry/miserable/antsy children just isn't that much fun.
    Some students have learning disabilities or mental difficulties. This is not the problem in and of itself, but rather that with some students who had more acute difficulties, I often was not given a whole lot of prep on how to deal with them. Usually just a few quick words of advice thrown at me just before the session was beginning. Sometimes I wouldn't even be told anything at all, and I was only lucky enough for another clinician to notice who I was teaching and give me advice, or I happened to ask beforehand because I noticed that the student seemed a bit difficult.
    There wasn't a lot of explanation if you were switched from tutoring a certain child. If you were removed from their schedule, you often didn't know if it was your fault, if they hated you and insisted you be removed, if their parents hated you, if you had done a terrible job with them (in which case it would be nice to have some constructive criticism), if you just weren't experienced enough to work with them (in which case it would still be nice to have some constructive criticism), or if it was a simple scheduling thing.

Some sort of mentoring would be extremely helpful after training is completed. Just because you have been trained does not mean you are ready to start tutoring entirely by yourself. It also is only fair to those paying (the fairly high price) of these tutoring programs, so that they receive their full money's worth from the start.
    A little more explanation, on difficult students and the reasons for the change of students (per my cons above), would be so helpful.

Overworked and under appreciated

Current Employee - Clinician in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Clinician in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Contribute positively to a student's life. The programs do work.

Cons

Most of the employees are summer hires who have no idea what they're doing
    The managers run clinicians into the ground
    While the programs are helpful, it's very expensive. Parents pay upwards of 2k a week, this leads to a certain type of clientele.

5. Great experience

I worked at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, great hourly rate for tutoring.

Cons

Hard to move up in the company.

Reward loyalty faster.

6. Great Summer Job

Former Contractor - Clinician in San Diego, CA
    Former Contractor - Clinician in San Diego, CA

I worked at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Most summer jobs bring very little to a resume, and are hard to find for short periods. That is not the case with Lindamood bell. Was an enriching experience that taught me a lot about myself, and where I wanted my career to go.

Cons

This is a tough job. It takes a lot of energy and you have to really put your heart and soul into it.

I was a reading Clinician/tutor

I have been working at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes

Pros

It's extremely rewarding when a kid "gets it." It's a high-energy place. The method of teaching problem readers works in at least 95% of kids. The training is free if you work for a certain amount of time. They do have a clause that says that you are responsible to pay for training if you get trained and then don't work for them for a certain period.

Cons

There are a large number of children on the autistic spectrum. and training on how to work with such children was nonexistent, except for one film. It's difficult to get full-time work there during the year, even if you want it. Most workers are categorized as seasonal workers, thus eliminating the need to pay for benefits. Not only is there no regular schedule during the year, but you don't find out your schedule until the Friday afternoon before making it impossible to plan for the following week. Management is not a very diverse: If you looked at a photo of management, 85% would be white and blond. Center directors had widely divergent experience with managing and with the company.

Need more regular meetings for the clinicians. If necessary, pay employees to come in for the meetings. Managers and Reading Consultants need to keep on top of most recent research about reading and understand how it fits in with LBLP research and techniques. Need better training for handling behavior-challenged children and children on the autistic spectrum.

8. Easy summer job.

Former Employee - Clinician
    Former Employee - Clinician

I worked at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes

Pros

Good pay, fun to work with the kids.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity for advancement

9. Great research-based company that provides consistent summer employment

Current Employee - Clinician, Mentor, Tester in Palos Verdes Estates, CA
    Current Employee - Clinician, Mentor, Tester in Palos Verdes Estates, CA

I have been working at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Great staff and management who try their best to accommodate you (schedule)
    - You only work with each student an hour at a time
    - Lots of mini breaks throughout the day
    - Lots of opportunities for wacky dress/costumes
    - Lots of feedback on instruction
    - Very rewarding experience when you see the difference this program can make in a student's life
    - Lots of opportunity for travel

Cons

- Not very consistent schedule (clients can cancel last-minute, meaning that you may get sent home early without warning)
    - There is a 2-week training process when you are initially hired, and while it is essential that clinicians understand the steps and processes required for each program, the training gets repetitive and boring when you are just sitting in a room watching a powerpoint or role-playing for 8 hours a day
    - Pay could increase for clinicians -- clients pay a huge hourly sum, so I think the company could figure out how to better distribute the money to its staff
    - Communication between office manager and clinicians could be better (with scheduling and other things)

- Increase pay rate
    - Provide scheduling for clinicians a little earlier (schedule is usually posted late Friday afternoon for the following week)

Poor business model, unethical practices

I have been working at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Programs are great and help students. Employment works only works well for temporary summer employees.

Cons

Business model requires experienced high-quality employees, yet the company does not compensate or treat its employees in a way to keep them. It is difficult to get hours outside of the summer season and rate pay is very low. I have also experienced unethical business practices.

Compensate your employees better if you want to keep them. The business model requires experienced employees, yet the way employees are treated is not conducive to a productive or pleasant work environment. I even experienced a Center Director disparage her Consultant behind her back, but in front of other employees (Clinicians, Mentors, Assistants).

Fun but not good management and values

Former Employee - Clinician in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Clinician in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes part-time (less than a year)

Pros

This job was fun because of the clients (the children) I worked with. Helping children learn while having fun was the plus of this job.

Cons

Management here was not competent in my experience. The environment even was negative and hostile at times, with people speaking behind your back or being flat out rude to your face. The culture included shaming those who asked questions or spoke up about concerns. Very disappointing.

Hire managers who are great with people and who listen and are concerned with their work environment and culture.

Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes Photos