Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes

Updated September 30, 2014
Updated September 30, 2014
3.1

Nanci Bell

Pros
  • It's great one-on-one teaching experience with all types and ages of students (in 4 reviews)

• Great experience for working with children and teaching reading/ literacy to adults and young learners (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The stress and demands run exceedingly high, despite the low pay (in 8 reviews)

• Clinicians are typically kept on summer hours or just below full-time hours in order to avoid providing benefits (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing place to work!

I have been working at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes full-time

Pros

This is work that changes lives. Pay is competitive, despite other reviews. Growth opportunities are real.

Cons

Can't think of any off-hand

Continue to remain fresh for both the employees and the students

Reasonable summer gig, good flexibility, not good for intelligent, analytical people who don't want to serve rote Tx

Former Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's incredibly rewarding when you see these kids make impressive gains in their reading skills

Cons

management has little respect for staff. I never saw a student turned away - even if none of the LBLP programs were appropriate.

Retain your best clinicians by giving them pay increases, including them in the consulting, and treating them with respect.

Great job if you have no bills to pay and don't mind inconsistency (i.e. you're a college student living with parents)

Current Employee - Clinician (Tutor) in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Clinician (Tutor) in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Really great to see the growth in the students. You really do teach them to read and develop comprehension skills. If you are good you get more hours.

Cons

Restrictive time off policies with inconsistent hours (i.e. they expect you to be available 40 hours a week but will sometimes only give you 12 hours no matter how good you are). Hard to move up. Clinicians are exploited- the parents pay $107 an hour to send their children to the center and clinicians are only paid $14 an hour despite being the ones who work with the student for over 95% of the time.

Pay clinicians more and be more realistic about what the hours will be like. I understand that you may not know how may students are going to sign up for instruction but be more transparent with what past trends have been like.

Great experience, bad scheduling

I worked at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes

Pros

You really do teach children how to read. It is a wonderful feeling seeing them progress.

Cons

Schedule is not given out until the Friday before the next week starts.

Pay your employees more.

Fulfilling work, frustrating environment

Former Employee - Clinician

I worked at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Working with the children is AMAZING! The feeling that you get when you watch your students' progress is worth more than a paycheck. Most of the people you work with are also passionate about the job and are very helpful. New clinicians are constantly mentored and given constructive feedback on how to improve.

Cons

The training is awful. It consisted of two weeks of a video conference, with very little opportunity to actually observe current clinicians or to practice working with the students. Many of the things that I was expected to do with the students later on were never covered in the training; furthermore, there was little advice for how to deal with behavioral problems, other than "The onus is on YOU to motivate them, so if they are not paying attention/complaining/acting up, it's because you aren't fun enough." That may well be true, but the fact of the matter is, the kids do the same activities 4-6 times a day, so it's hard for them NOT to get bored or restless.

Also, I found that some of the "behavior modifications" are unhelpful. I worked with a child who was verbally aggressive to all clinicians and refused to work unless she received ridiculous amounts of prizes. Even though positive reinforcement works in many cases (and certainly many of the students here don't get enough of that in school), there's a difference between rewarding a kid for good work and just letting a kid call the shots. But at LMB, the policy is essentially "The student is always right." Coddling a child is not helpful at all.

Finally, there's a disturbing trend among some of the staff (including consultants, who work with the parents) to gossip about students' families. Once, a consultant hid in the break room just to avoid talking to a parent. I understand parents can be demanding and annoying, but IT'S YOUR JOB to talk to them and keep them updated on their child's progress.

All of this, coupled with the fact that it is very hard to have consistent hours even in the summer, was a reason why I just couldn't stay longer. I love the kids, but the environment is very exhausting.

Change the way training is carried out. Clinicians need less time watching old videos and more time observing and practicing with students.

Also, rethink the way that behavior modifications are carried out. Of course, it is important to keep kids motivated and confident in themselves. But letting them have whatever they want is not the key to success.

Great College Experience

Former Employee - Clinician in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Clinician in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed what I was doing, I liked watching the students learn and grow, it was very fulfilling from that point of view. The other clinicians were extremely friendly and I enjoyed by days at Lindamood Bell.

Cons

The nature of the work lends itself to being frustrating at times. The good definitely outweighed the bad, however. For me, this was a summer job without much opportunity to make a full-time career.

I would never return to Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes

Former Employee - Clinician

I worked at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I can't think of any. If you need a job, and can live on $13/hour, then I guess that's a pro.

Cons

A quote from the director of my center: "we teach reading, not character." This comment was in response to complaints from clinicians about a six-year-old girl who repeatedly hit, kicked, bit, spit on, and swore at those who tried to teach her. She did not receive any sort of consequence, as that was not part of the job. In general, the job of clinician at LBLP is limited to prescriptive, rote work forced on students for hours at a time. This is much more of a skill and drill environment than an environment encouraging critical thinking and when students get upset or act out, clinicians must endure ridiculous treatment in addition to laughably low pay. The work for both students and clinicians is tedious and repetitive. Clinicians are typically kept on summer hours or just below full-time hours in order to avoid providing benefits. Few opportunities to move up. If interested in any type of real teaching, not the place to go.

You earn about $3/minute from the parents of the children you teach. Give a little more of that back to the people who are actually working with those children.

Great college job!

I worked at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes part-time

Pros

I worked at lblp during summers while I was in college. It's extremely rewarding to work with children and see them make improvements that will be with them for the rest of their lives.

Cons

Long training period- you may be able to wiggle out of retraining if your center head knows you are good. It can be stressful working with some of the kids, but other employees are very supportive and share ideas for strategies to use. I received pay raises only as standard protocol- it didn't seem like there were merit raises, and there was no opportunity for growth unless you worked there full time for years.

Retraining should be significantly shorter!

A great place to work!

Current Employee - Clinician
    Current Employee - Clinician

I have been working at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The pay was good for me ($15) and the training was comprehensive. My managers were all excellent and the office culture was the most supportive I've seen. At every turn, my managers had my back and were caring. You have all the materials to succeed and to enjoy the job. Working with kids is great and the schedule is very reasonable.

Cons

The employment was seasonal and i wasn't promised 40 hours a week. This might work for some people, but it didn't for me.

The kids could sometimes be difficult, but there's never any pressure to if you can't finish the lesson because its simply too much for them to handle.

The training was sometimes unnecessarily long. I felt like somethings could have been cut, but I was getting paid so I wasn't complaining.

Excellent job with the culture and helping their kids. No real complains, thank you for being so wonderful

Great Place

I have been working at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes

Pros

The program works for the students, I have seen the program work for the students and that reward is amazing.

Cons

The training process was too long. Sitting in a room for 9 hours a day (with breaks) not the best way to be trained.

Consider discussing time off policies and reviewing the training process to be more user friendly. Would love to get more interaction with students before beginning the tutoring process.

Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes Photos