Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes

Updated April 13, 2015
118 reviews filtered by
3.1
Nanci Bell

Pros
  • Positive work environment and inspiring coworkers (in 7 reviews)

• It's great one-on-one teaching experience with all types and ages of students (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The stress and demands run exceedingly high, despite the low pay (in 9 reviews)

• Clinicians are paid about ten percent of what the parents pay (in 8 reviews)

1. A pleasant experience if you like kids

I have been working at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes part-time

Pros

L-B let's you hang out with cute kids all day, in a small office with a close-knit team. The office manager is very fun to be around.

Cons

The job can get quite monotonous at times. Also, it is annoying when you have to deal with especially troublesome kids.

Advice to Management

More closed rooms to separate the problem students.

2. It was tiring work for little pay.

I worked at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pay was better than minimum wage. No degree required. The office was in a nice location, and it was kept very clean.

Cons

The work was draining, and most of the kids were very difficult to work with. By the second month, I dreaded coming into work every day. The pay wasn't that great, and there weren't any benefits or paid time off.

Advice to Management

You charge the parents $100/hr. Don't you think you can pay the primary workers a little more? Also paid time off would be a plus.

3. Clinician/Consultant

I worked at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes part-time

Pros

Work with kids and see significant gains in reading and comprehension.

Cons

Clinicians are seriously underpaid and management is incestuous. Parents charged $100+ an hour and clinicians receive only $15/hr. That is just wrong. No benefits, inconsistent hours, adolescent management culture.

Advice to Management

Pay your tutors more and advance according to merit rather than connections. Show you care about something other than the bottom line.

5. Great kids, not so great management

Former Employee - Clinician in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Clinician in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working with students and positive staff who were mostly nice.

Cons

Management was sub-par to say the least.

Advice to Management

Don't be rude, don't create a negative and polar culture between those who are new & those who have been there a while

Excellent job for the thinking worker

Former Employee - Consultant in Birmingham, MI
    Former Employee - Consultant in Birmingham, MI

I worked at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In my opinion, this company pays their employees well. It is a for-profit business, so the bottom line is always a factor, but they seem to be one of those rare companies that are not purely profit-driven.
    They academically screen employees the be sure they are qualified tutors and offer paid training.
    They manage to have the order and "togetherness" you would expect of a corporation, but still maintain a personal feel between employees and management.

Cons

Mastering the Lindamood-Bell "system" is not for the faint of heart. There is ALOT to learn about the Lindamood-Bell way of doing things. When tutoring is in it's peak season, the pace can be exhausting. It helps if the science of learning interests you. You have to be able to follow a script and use specific language.
    Sometimes, there is a slow season were hours may be reduced.

Advice to Management

None. It is a great place that I would gladly work for again.

7. Good Place to Work

Former Employee - Clinician in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Clinician in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay
    Great for a summer job for a student (good pay, lots of hours especially toward the end of the summer, they are pretty nice about taking off time for vacation plans if you tell them at the very beginning or well in advance, they ask you back after the first summer if you do a good job, you feel like you've worked a "real job" not just flipping burgers, you learn a lot)
    Learned a lot about working with children (including dealing with children who wish you would just fall off the face of the earth, but also really sweet kids)
    Good community
    Very positive culture
    Fairly friendly coworkers
    Lots of positive reinforcement and appreciation
    A fairly professional environment, you are held to a high standard of maturity

Cons

Even after two weeks of training, you feel as if you are just thrown in at the beginning. The first session I spent with a student, I was terrified and forgot everything I was supposed to do. Luckily, someone sat in with me for most of my sessions on my first day of teaching, but after that first day I was really on my own. I suppose this helped in that I learned very quickly, but I felt that for that first week or two of working, I was not giving the students' their money's worth (or their parents who were paying), because it took some time to get down the skill of teaching the student, keeping the student engaged, taking notes the entire time, getting through the material I was supposed to teach in a session, and doing it all in a set amount of time.
    Sometimes dealing with bored/angry/miserable/antsy children just isn't that much fun.
    Some students have learning disabilities or mental difficulties. This is not the problem in and of itself, but rather that with some students who had more acute difficulties, I often was not given a whole lot of prep on how to deal with them. Usually just a few quick words of advice thrown at me just before the session was beginning. Sometimes I wouldn't even be told anything at all, and I was only lucky enough for another clinician to notice who I was teaching and give me advice, or I happened to ask beforehand because I noticed that the student seemed a bit difficult.
    There wasn't a lot of explanation if you were switched from tutoring a certain child. If you were removed from their schedule, you often didn't know if it was your fault, if they hated you and insisted you be removed, if their parents hated you, if you had done a terrible job with them (in which case it would be nice to have some constructive criticism), if you just weren't experienced enough to work with them (in which case it would still be nice to have some constructive criticism), or if it was a simple scheduling thing.

Advice to Management

Some sort of mentoring would be extremely helpful after training is completed. Just because you have been trained does not mean you are ready to start tutoring entirely by yourself. It also is only fair to those paying (the fairly high price) of these tutoring programs, so that they receive their full money's worth from the start.
    A little more explanation, on difficult students and the reasons for the change of students (per my cons above), would be so helpful.

Overworked and under appreciated

Current Employee - Clinician in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Clinician in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Contribute positively to a student's life. The programs do work.

Cons

Most of the employees are summer hires who have no idea what they're doing
    The managers run clinicians into the ground
    While the programs are helpful, it's very expensive. Parents pay upwards of 2k a week, this leads to a certain type of clientele.

9. Great experience

I worked at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, great hourly rate for tutoring.

Cons

Hard to move up in the company.

Advice to Management

Reward loyalty faster.

10. Great Summer Job

Former Contractor - Clinician in San Diego, CA
    Former Contractor - Clinician in San Diego, CA

I worked at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Most summer jobs bring very little to a resume, and are hard to find for short periods. That is not the case with Lindamood bell. Was an enriching experience that taught me a lot about myself, and where I wanted my career to go.

Cons

This is a tough job. It takes a lot of energy and you have to really put your heart and soul into it.

I was a reading Clinician/tutor

I have been working at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes

Pros

It's extremely rewarding when a kid "gets it." It's a high-energy place. The method of teaching problem readers works in at least 95% of kids. The training is free if you work for a certain amount of time. They do have a clause that says that you are responsible to pay for training if you get trained and then don't work for them for a certain period.

Cons

There are a large number of children on the autistic spectrum. and training on how to work with such children was nonexistent, except for one film. It's difficult to get full-time work there during the year, even if you want it. Most workers are categorized as seasonal workers, thus eliminating the need to pay for benefits. Not only is there no regular schedule during the year, but you don't find out your schedule until the Friday afternoon before making it impossible to plan for the following week. Management is not a very diverse: If you looked at a photo of management, 85% would be white and blond. Center directors had widely divergent experience with managing and with the company.

Advice to Management

Need more regular meetings for the clinicians. If necessary, pay employees to come in for the meetings. Managers and Reading Consultants need to keep on top of most recent research about reading and understand how it fits in with LBLP research and techniques. Need better training for handling behavior-challenged children and children on the autistic spectrum.

Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes Photos