Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes

Updated February 25, 2015
Updated February 25, 2015
3.1

Nanci Bell

Pros
  • Positive work environment and inspiring coworkers (in 7 reviews)

• It's great one-on-one teaching experience with all types and ages of students (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The stress and demands run exceedingly high, despite the low pay (in 9 reviews)

• Clinicians are paid about ten percent of what the parents pay (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great experience

I worked at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, great hourly rate for tutoring.

Cons

Hard to move up in the company.

Reward loyalty faster.

Great Summer Job

Former Contractor - Clinician in San Diego, CA
    Former Contractor - Clinician in San Diego, CA

I worked at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Most summer jobs bring very little to a resume, and are hard to find for short periods. That is not the case with Lindamood bell. Was an enriching experience that taught me a lot about myself, and where I wanted my career to go.

Cons

This is a tough job. It takes a lot of energy and you have to really put your heart and soul into it.

I was a reading Clinician/tutor

I have been working at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes

Pros

It's extremely rewarding when a kid "gets it." It's a high-energy place. The method of teaching problem readers works in at least 95% of kids. The training is free if you work for a certain amount of time. They do have a clause that says that you are responsible to pay for training if you get trained and then don't work for them for a certain period.

Cons

There are a large number of children on the autistic spectrum. and training on how to work with such children was nonexistent, except for one film. It's difficult to get full-time work there during the year, even if you want it. Most workers are categorized as seasonal workers, thus eliminating the need to pay for benefits. Not only is there no regular schedule during the year, but you don't find out your schedule until the Friday afternoon before making it impossible to plan for the following week. Management is not a very diverse: If you looked at a photo of management, 85% would be white and blond. Center directors had widely divergent experience with managing and with the company.

Need more regular meetings for the clinicians. If necessary, pay employees to come in for the meetings. Managers and Reading Consultants need to keep on top of most recent research about reading and understand how it fits in with LBLP research and techniques. Need better training for handling behavior-challenged children and children on the autistic spectrum.

Easy summer job.

I worked at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes

Pros

Good pay, fun to work with the kids.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity for advancement

Great research-based company that provides consistent summer employment

Current Employee - Clinician, Mentor, Tester in Palos Verdes Estates, CA
    Current Employee - Clinician, Mentor, Tester in Palos Verdes Estates, CA

I have been working at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Great staff and management who try their best to accommodate you (schedule)
    - You only work with each student an hour at a time
    - Lots of mini breaks throughout the day
    - Lots of opportunities for wacky dress/costumes
    - Lots of feedback on instruction
    - Very rewarding experience when you see the difference this program can make in a student's life
    - Lots of opportunity for travel

Cons

- Not very consistent schedule (clients can cancel last-minute, meaning that you may get sent home early without warning)
    - There is a 2-week training process when you are initially hired, and while it is essential that clinicians understand the steps and processes required for each program, the training gets repetitive and boring when you are just sitting in a room watching a powerpoint or role-playing for 8 hours a day
    - Pay could increase for clinicians -- clients pay a huge hourly sum, so I think the company could figure out how to better distribute the money to its staff
    - Communication between office manager and clinicians could be better (with scheduling and other things)

- Increase pay rate
    - Provide scheduling for clinicians a little earlier (schedule is usually posted late Friday afternoon for the following week)

I was here as a summer clinician

I worked at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes

Pros

I liked working with kids and seeing how they progressed through their learning. LMB has very unique, research-verified, programs designed for mentoring students of any age through whatever learning disabilities they have, and they have an impressive record of very inspiring stories of success. I'm glad to be able to say I worked here. And without fail, some of the better long time employees here are the perfect people for the job they do (consultants, directors).

Cons

The pay could be higher. The job is emotionally challenging and you're asked to act immediately with quick situations. Some students can be quite trying on your patience, and if you ask for assistance it makes you feel incompetent. The job is very rote (commanding the performance of various drills, this gets boring and repetitive) too.

The training period is absolutely too long. Two weeks is ridiculous for what we do, and I think this can save the firm quite a lot of money. It can be done in a week at the most, without 10 hour days it currently uses, as I (and everyone I have spoken with including those who were already trained) learned 90% of what I needed to know while on the job. The materials and pay that the program costs can be better allocated in the form of higher wages and cost savings for the firm. The books used can be claimable by employment, but just giving away two heavy books for each incoming employee for free (I looked at mine once or twice in the first week after training) is wasteful.

Employee turnover is very high because of pay being less than what a babysitter makes per hour. This may be deliberate to keep the current staff young, but this is why this is kept to a summer job, typically, for college students. Turnover would stop if pay were higher and the quality of employees would certainly increase.

Lastly, if you have any interruptions in your work (ie. Asking for an hour off for a dentist/doctors appointment even if required for school, or to go on a family vacation that you've always taken even though you let mgmt know before accepting your offer and they tell you it's cool), prepare for guilt trips you've never heard of. You automatically forfeit the day or half a day when requesting for an hour max. This is ridiculous. Of course the students are always the top concern, and I felt bad enough, but I always was made to feel terrible when I needed time off for something necessary (I may have lost eligibility for the next semester if I didn't have a certain medical appointment, even when I asked well ahead of two weeks, once the day came.

- Reduce and better focus the training period so costs can be minimized. Maybe transition from rote training to shadowing earlier with more focus from shadowing as training.
    - Raise pay to decrease employee turnover
    - Be reasonably accommodating to employees for days off or just an hour or so off
    - Encourage innovation

I think LMB does great things. I think these suggestions could help

Poor business model, unethical practices

I have been working at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Programs are great and help students. Employment works only works well for temporary summer employees.

Cons

Business model requires experienced high-quality employees, yet the company does not compensate or treat its employees in a way to keep them. It is difficult to get hours outside of the summer season and rate pay is very low. I have also experienced unethical business practices.

Compensate your employees better if you want to keep them. The business model requires experienced employees, yet the way employees are treated is not conducive to a productive or pleasant work environment. I even experienced a Center Director disparage her Consultant behind her back, but in front of other employees (Clinicians, Mentors, Assistants).

Great opportunity to really make a difference

Former Employee - Clinician in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Clinician in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes

Pros

In-depth training, supportive management, substantial change in students, decent compensation

Cons

These families pay over $100/hr with a minimum of 20 hrs a week. This type of program with the price attached leads (for the most part) to a certain type of student. Spoiled students who aren't particularly motivated. These are the worst to work with. In large part because I know so many who would benefit from this type of program but cannot afford it.

Please do more outreach. There are a lot of students who would benefit from these programs but it is unaccessible because of price. In addition, really consider whether the instruction is actually beneficial.

Fun but not good management and values

Former Employee - Clinician in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Clinician in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes part-time (less than a year)

Pros

This job was fun because of the clients (the children) I worked with. Helping children learn while having fun was the plus of this job.

Cons

Management here was not competent in my experience. The environment even was negative and hostile at times, with people speaking behind your back or being flat out rude to your face. The culture included shaming those who asked questions or spoke up about concerns. Very disappointing.

Hire managers who are great with people and who listen and are concerned with their work environment and culture.

Worked here for a good while! The gains from clients are impressive and rewarding. It's great experience for educators.

Former Employee - Clinician

I worked at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Love working with children! The progress seen thru pre and post tests verifies the authenticity of the program. The best part is being part of the process in helping clients learn reading and comprehension.

Cons

Pay does not equal stress and workload, nearly impossible to move up! There is very little room for career growth. Sometimes promised trainings and career development that Never came to be! Even when trained in Every area possible I still did not get a chance to exercise my expertise. Employees that started working years after me were given more hours, I believe it was due to one of the employees being friends with the manager/center director!!

Treat employees as you want to be treated, respect all people. People should receive hours based on merit and tenure. It's unfair and unethical any other way.

Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes Photos