Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes

Updated January 25, 2015
Updated January 25, 2015
3.1

Nanci Bell

Pros
  • Positive work environment and inspiring coworkers (in 7 reviews)

• It's great one-on-one teaching experience with all types and ages of students (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The stress and demands run exceedingly high, despite the low pay (in 9 reviews)

• Clinicians are paid about ten percent of what the parents pay (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great research-based company that provides consistent summer employment

Current Employee - Clinician, Mentor, Tester in Palos Verdes Estates, CA
    Current Employee - Clinician, Mentor, Tester in Palos Verdes Estates, CA

I have been working at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Great staff and management who try their best to accommodate you (schedule)
    - You only work with each student an hour at a time
    - Lots of mini breaks throughout the day
    - Lots of opportunities for wacky dress/costumes
    - Lots of feedback on instruction
    - Very rewarding experience when you see the difference this program can make in a student's life
    - Lots of opportunity for travel

Cons

- Not very consistent schedule (clients can cancel last-minute, meaning that you may get sent home early without warning)
    - There is a 2-week training process when you are initially hired, and while it is essential that clinicians understand the steps and processes required for each program, the training gets repetitive and boring when you are just sitting in a room watching a powerpoint or role-playing for 8 hours a day
    - Pay could increase for clinicians -- clients pay a huge hourly sum, so I think the company could figure out how to better distribute the money to its staff
    - Communication between office manager and clinicians could be better (with scheduling and other things)

- Increase pay rate
    - Provide scheduling for clinicians a little earlier (schedule is usually posted late Friday afternoon for the following week)

I was here as a summer clinician

I worked at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes

Pros

I liked working with kids and seeing how they progressed through their learning. LMB has very unique, research-verified, programs designed for mentoring students of any age through whatever learning disabilities they have, and they have an impressive record of very inspiring stories of success. I'm glad to be able to say I worked here. And without fail, some of the better long time employees here are the perfect people for the job they do (consultants, directors).

Cons

The pay could be higher. The job is emotionally challenging and you're asked to act immediately with quick situations. Some students can be quite trying on your patience, and if you ask for assistance it makes you feel incompetent. The job is very rote (commanding the performance of various drills, this gets boring and repetitive) too.

The training period is absolutely too long. Two weeks is ridiculous for what we do, and I think this can save the firm quite a lot of money. It can be done in a week at the most, without 10 hour days it currently uses, as I (and everyone I have spoken with including those who were already trained) learned 90% of what I needed to know while on the job. The materials and pay that the program costs can be better allocated in the form of higher wages and cost savings for the firm. The books used can be claimable by employment, but just giving away two heavy books for each incoming employee for free (I looked at mine once or twice in the first week after training) is wasteful.

Employee turnover is very high because of pay being less than what a babysitter makes per hour. This may be deliberate to keep the current staff young, but this is why this is kept to a summer job, typically, for college students. Turnover would stop if pay were higher and the quality of employees would certainly increase.

Lastly, if you have any interruptions in your work (ie. Asking for an hour off for a dentist/doctors appointment even if required for school, or to go on a family vacation that you've always taken even though you let mgmt know before accepting your offer and they tell you it's cool), prepare for guilt trips you've never heard of. You automatically forfeit the day or half a day when requesting for an hour max. This is ridiculous. Of course the students are always the top concern, and I felt bad enough, but I always was made to feel terrible when I needed time off for something necessary (I may have lost eligibility for the next semester if I didn't have a certain medical appointment, even when I asked well ahead of two weeks, once the day came.

- Reduce and better focus the training period so costs can be minimized. Maybe transition from rote training to shadowing earlier with more focus from shadowing as training.
    - Raise pay to decrease employee turnover
    - Be reasonably accommodating to employees for days off or just an hour or so off
    - Encourage innovation

I think LMB does great things. I think these suggestions could help

Great opportunity to really make a difference

Former Employee - Clinician in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Clinician in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes

Pros

In-depth training, supportive management, substantial change in students, decent compensation

Cons

These families pay over $100/hr with a minimum of 20 hrs a week. This type of program with the price attached leads (for the most part) to a certain type of student. Spoiled students who aren't particularly motivated. These are the worst to work with. In large part because I know so many who would benefit from this type of program but cannot afford it.

Please do more outreach. There are a lot of students who would benefit from these programs but it is unaccessible because of price. In addition, really consider whether the instruction is actually beneficial.

Worked here for a good while! The gains from clients are impressive and rewarding. It's great experience for educators.

Former Employee - Clinician

I worked at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Love working with children! The progress seen thru pre and post tests verifies the authenticity of the program. The best part is being part of the process in helping clients learn reading and comprehension.

Cons

Pay does not equal stress and workload, nearly impossible to move up! There is very little room for career growth. Sometimes promised trainings and career development that Never came to be! Even when trained in Every area possible I still did not get a chance to exercise my expertise. Employees that started working years after me were given more hours, I believe it was due to one of the employees being friends with the manager/center director!!

Treat employees as you want to be treated, respect all people. People should receive hours based on merit and tenure. It's unfair and unethical any other way.

Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes is a great company that aims to serve all ages that have learning disabilities.

I worked at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes

Pros

It is a very rewarding experience working with Lindamood-Bell, knowing you are helping someone else succeed in life. You are vitally helping children of all ages to take the necessary steps to learning how to survive in today's society academically.

Cons

None that I can state at this moment. This job was nothing but rewarding in every aspect. You are helping others change their lives.

none.

Very positive experience

Former Employee - Clinician in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Clinician in New York, NY

I worked at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Trained in patented program and great experience working one-on-one with the students.

Cons

Administration was difficult at times.

Summer Clinician- Pretty terrible job

Former Employee - Clinician in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Clinician in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Helping the kids was nice but that was about the only benefit

Cons

Management (employees being the same age as overseers), very rude and charge the customers way more than what shows in employees payment

Such a rewarding experience and a company that cares

Current Employee - Clinician in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Clinician in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Everyone who I have ever worked with has been so friendly and genuinely cares about all of the students we have. It is a professional and fun environment and the programs, although sometimes challenging, are so beneficial. All of the Clinicians are required to be mentored a certain amount of hours which is great, it's important to keep everyone up to date and doing their best work with the students.

Cons

The travel demands are at times difficult

Distasteful and unethical.

Former Employee - Clinician in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Clinician in San Diego, CA

I worked at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes full-time

Pros

It's a job and it pays money on time.

Cons

Lindamood-Bell doesn't care about it's programs, employee's, or clients. The program materials available in the office are mostly torn, water damaged, and dirty. Teachers are minimally trained in a variety of programs that require a robotic like script. Don't get me wrong, the programs work but execution of the programs require practice. This undermines the client by providing services that are many times under par. The cubicles they put students in are a filthy joke; torn, dusty, and falling apart. When you require your employees to uphold the famous Disney model, dress in business attire while attending to active children, and pay them sub-par wages you can expect to lose your best employees within only a few months, keep your most desperate employees, and have an office culture that is full of sad clowns. That's because at Lindamood-Bell, every one has a smile. Remember kids, this is a professional company run by professionals who adhere to the Disney model. At least Disney has security for when someone gets out of hand and provides them with access to a theme park. Lindamood-Bell pays on average about $4 less than other companies providing the same or similar services. In addition to paying less than everyone in the same market, Lindamood-Bell feels that in order to maintain quality control they must review their clinicians performance every week and in the summer multiple times a day. This is silly and does not help with quality control, it builds animosity within the office because these reviews are mostly subjective. Oh, one last thing before I forget. Employee breaks are overlooked and many employees go without breaks because of the lack of internal organization within the company. This is illegal people, breaks are required and they intimidate people into working through their breaks. I would request to take a break and many people acted as if though I were asking for a raise, this is intimidation. Management does nothing about it because who the hell is managing the place anyway? The office director is more like the sales manager and the assistant director is responsible for everything else, which is impossible to handle i an already mismanaged environment.

Want people of quality? Pay for people of quality. Want your best employees to stay? Pay them more and don't give them awards that don't equate to anything other than a piece of paper and a $5 gift card. Want to have more clients? Stop being so fake, you can smell the plastic a mile away. The Disney model isn't about being fake. It's about professionalism.

Advice to Nanci Bell:

Hire a real CEO and stop being so damn greedy.

Better for high school students, not grown adults with graduate degrees

Former Employee - Clinician

I worked at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

- Sometimes the kids were very thankful and excited about improving and this was very rewarding.
    - Free food and parties for the kids at least once a month

Cons

- Very cliquish
    - Inconsistent feedback from superiors
    - You'll randomly be observed while working here. Sometimes 2-3 times a day. And by observed, I mean, a superior will be sitting less than 2-3 inches from you while you work with a student and you have to pretend like they're not there. Once I asked my superior a question during the session and I was given a 20 minute talking to and was never scheduled to work with that student again.
    - Very sales oriented workplace. It's all about the money. It doesn't matter if the student even needs the services.
    - After the first 2 weeks of training, training is non-existent. If you are scheduled to perform a task you've never done before or haven't been trained for... You just wing it.
    - If you're scheduled for office work, you might end up cleaning bathrooms (think young boys peeing all over the toilet), vacuuming, or any other meaningless task they can find for you.
    - You will occasionally work with a student(or students) that lacks the ability to be around other human beings - For example, you might get hit, pinched, spit on, insulted, threatened, grabbed in inappropriate places, flashed, sat on, etc. Oh, and while all this is going on - you cannot punish the student at all. You can't even tell them you're going to call their parents.
    - Occasionally you will be corned by parents wanting to know how their child is performing. Sometimes they show up unannounced. Sometimes they'll sit in on all of their child's sessions. If they ask you how their kid is doing, you have to lie and be as vague as possible.
    - Turn over is SUPER high. Don't expect to make friends here... They'll just be gone in a few months. It doesn't matter if they are senior management or seasonal employees, almost everyone here is looking for something else.
    - The pay is horrible for a job requiring this amount of skill and patience. If you're seasonal you might have anywhere from 8 hours a week to 40. It is completely unpredictable. Most months I made around $400-$600.
    - The chances of you being promoted from seasonal to full time are slim. One person I was working with had been working there for over a year and she was still considered a seasonal employee with no benefits and the same pay grade.

Increase the hourly wage. Treat your employees like the educated individuals they are, not like children. Grow up, you're not in high school or your sorority anymore. Promote people for skill, not on how long you've known them or whether you go to the bar with them. Also, stop trying to sell a product - you're impacting children's lives and ripping off concerned parents.

Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes Photos