Linden Lab Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.4
Ebbe Altberg

Pros
  • It has a great work/life balance and offers a lot of perks for employees (boot camp, yoga, lunches) (in 5 reviews)

• Great people to work with, remotely (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management was in turmoil the entire time I was there (in 9 reviews)

• The company has given up on trying to get Second Life to live up to its potential (in 5 reviews)

1. Tightly run ship, no entry level noobs

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Linden Lab full-time

Pros

Average age skews older, so no early-20s "Tech Bros" acting out or anything like that. Everyone's an expert. Company/product has been around for a while, so none of that anxiety of a startup suddenly going under.

Cons

Smaller company = fewer perks, but the jnportant ones are covered (insurance/dental, free lunch day, gym subsidy, etc.)

2. Growth creates churn

Former Employee - Production Operations Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Production Operations Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Linden Lab full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting problem set, smart people.

Cons

Hi turnover due to strategic changes.

Drama

Pros

Innovative platform and fun environment

Cons

Not stable job position and lack of benefits

5. What's it like to work with a visionary?

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Linden Lab full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Philip Rosedale's vision and leadership (especially early on), flat management, collaborative and appreciative working conditions, progressive approach to getting things done (weekly A's and O's, the infamous love machine, 2x yearly review process, in-world all hands meetings), the knowledge we were all working on something that was right on the edge of cultural, legal, and social issues.

Cons

Engineers were treated differently than the rest of the staff (work on what you want), which led to many of our big challenges not being met. An incredibly passionate audience (pro and con), who, I felt drove a lot of our decisions, a multi-layered press universe that was followed us relentlessly and focused on the negative. A product that was difficult to use - particularly in the advent of FB's ease. It was hard getting people to relevant content.

Advice to Management

It's been a while. I think the last I heard was that they were rebuilding SL from scratch. Keep going. VR is clearly not going away.

Lack of communication and lost direction

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

People there are talented and hard working. Fast paced work environment.

Cons

Take orders and carry them out exactly as told. No questions asked. I am afraid there is a culture of fear there. I was kicked out after three months, not because I did not work hard. Not because I did not deliver results. But because of a total lack of communications. Developing virtual reality is hard. I have very good ideas that I can contribute. But was never given an opportunity to talk with any one. Employees are expected to just take orders and do precisely as told, and never to ask question or challenge the management decision. Too bad that is not how a business can succeed. Despite all the hard working of the employees it may not ultimately pay off as the management could be moving in the wrong direction and there is no mechanism to correct that. The company has too aggressive a goal but don't know how to get there except for repeating what it had done int he past.

Advice to Management

You need to listen more, and issue commands less. You need to think about how to retain your best talents. The obedient people are NOT the best talents. A culture of FEAR does NOT work for any company. The environment is lacking in stimulating discussions and innovation. Too bad all the engineers could think of is purchase third party library if they need this or that feature. Merely putting pieces together is not how you build a product that no one has done before. You've got to truly do things that no one has done before. Oh, well. Thanks for paying me three months to spend time learning Sphinx speech recognition, 3D audio and phonemes. Those are very valuable gain of expertise, but I do not get the chance to contribute my expertise back.

7. I've been here only one month, but I already know it's a great place to work.

Current Employee - 3D Artist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - 3D Artist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Linden Lab full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is friendly and welcoming. Great benefits! Fun work environment with ping pong table and lots of snacks and drinks.

Cons

None so far that I can think of.

Love the people, growth potential, and collaboration at Linden!

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Linden Lab full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Linden has been a great place to grow my career and expand the depth of my role. Management allows you to explore areas outside your direct position. There's a lot of cross team collaboration. The company culture has also been a refreshing change from previous jobs. It has a great work/life balance and offers a lot of perks for employees (boot camp, yoga, lunches). Overall, I've had a great experience working here.

Cons

While generally I'm very happy here, there are few areas that could probably use some improvement. Over the years there have been cycles of new people, position changes, and upper management. Many transitions have been smooth, but others have been a bit challenging and new roles not clearly defined. The company could do a better job alleviating the stress and uncertainties around who is responsible for what when a new manager or position is filled.

Advice to Management

Improve expectations of where responsibilities lie when positions are filled or employees leave. When hiring, consider bringing in some younger talent. Although all the expertise for a position might not be there, smart people can be quick learners and provide a dedication to the job.

9. Great company so far

I have been working at Linden Lab full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, remotely. Excellent communication infrastructure. Excellent pay and benefits.

Cons

No direct path for growth. Little to no chance of raise. You have to look outside of your department for opportunities.

Advice to Management

Don't forget about the Moonlab!

10. Great people, poor management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Linden Lab full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm still friends with many of my former coworkers. They were all friendly and helpful, even during crunch time.

Cons

The upper management, even the founder himself (Philip Rosedale), never seemed to quite understand what Second Life really was or what it meant to the users. Linden Lab often tried to monetize the service in ways that ended up annoying everyone. And the underlying technology seemed to be badly designed and prone to breaking down regularly.

Advice to Management

Stop adding bells and whistles and fix your underlying structural and brand identity issues.

11. Great until 2010

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Linden Lab full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very relaxed atmosphere, great smart and creative co-workers The love machine was such a cool feature: it allowed you to send "love" to a co-worker when he/she had done something helpful and that would entitle the person to get a $3 bonus at the end of the quarter.

Cons

After the layoffs of 2010, the atmosphere changed a lot. Employees lost faith in the company and the product. Many left or were laid off.

RSS Feed </> Embed