Linden Lab Reviews

Updated September 6, 2014
Updated September 6, 2014
3.1

Ebbe Altberg

Pros
  • A good blend of great old coders who made Second Life and talented new blood (in 7 reviews)

• Also, the company believes strongly in work-life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management was in turmoil the entire time I was there (in 7 reviews)

• General impression no one knows who the end user is or what they want (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company so far

I have been working at Linden Lab full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people to work with, remotely. Excellent communication infrastructure. Excellent pay and benefits.

Cons

No direct path for growth. Little to no chance of raise. You have to look outside of your department for opportunities.

Don't forget about the Moonlab!

Great people, poor management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Linden Lab full-time for more than a year

Pros

I'm still friends with many of my former coworkers. They were all friendly and helpful, even during crunch time.

Cons

The upper management, even the founder himself (Philip Rosedale), never seemed to quite understand what Second Life really was or what it meant to the users. Linden Lab often tried to monetize the service in ways that ended up annoying everyone. And the underlying technology seemed to be badly designed and prone to breaking down regularly.

Stop adding bells and whistles and fix your underlying structural and brand identity issues.

Great until 2010

I worked at Linden Lab full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very relaxed atmosphere, great smart and creative co-workers
    The love machine was such a cool feature: it allowed you to send "love" to a co-worker when he/she had done something helpful and that would entitle the person to get a $3 bonus at the end of the quarter.

Cons

After the layoffs of 2010, the atmosphere changed a lot. Employees lost faith in the company and the product. Many left or were laid off.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I wish they hadn't changed so much

I worked at Linden Lab full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

When I started with LL, the community, the team, and the leadership were very much driven to help us grow, learn, and celebrate our success. Subsequent leadership was less aligned.

Cons

Team membership & leadership under drastic changes of direction, transparency, and cooperation have hurt the inter-team cooperation and enthusiasm.

Pay attention to customers. Re-institute the nonprofit & edu discount, the CAB, invest in important 3rd party viewer projects, and become more transparent (again). Good luck.

Brilliant, inspiring people doing what they love in a company who loves them.

I worked at Linden Lab

Pros

You learn a lot, both on the job, talking to "residents" and from colleagues. The motivation and intellectual stimulation is infectious. The office has comfortable setup for working. Your coworkers are people that you'll like hanging out with.

Cons

Office politics gets in the way of meritocracy sometimes. The product has long ago seen its prime. The tight-knit office community can sometimes get incestuous, and the various office romances that go on make it awkward to work together.

It's time to disrupt from within the company. Try to shake things up policy-wise in the office to change the office dynamics. Most importantly, brainstorm with your team - especially the client-facing ones - for ideas to bring life back into Second Life and give today's users what they really want.

I can't believe they're still in business - and neither can they

I worked at Linden Lab full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Unique work environment, they used to be relevant, some of the smartest coworkers I've ever had.

Cons

LL is a small company with big company bureaucracy. Good luck talking to anyone outside of your direct chain of command. Let alone ever getting recognized or promoted in your department.

They are completely out of touch with what their community wants & have absolutely no respect for the poor pawns who are paying their bills. Most developers haven't even spent any time "inworld" and have no concept of who uses their product. The markup they have on their land product is astronomical (triple in most cases) and they refuse to use any of that profit to actually update or improve their infrastructure. They perpetuate a monopoly by the largest land owners by cutting them deals on the side out of constant threats and fear of litigation.

I think most upper level management is simply surprised that they are still afloat & are milking the cash cow for all it's worth.

The internal pay is horrible for anyone that didn't start 3+ years ago and the benefits were depleting year after year. Remote employees get the worst end of the stick - they don't even pay for your internet bill.

Good luck.

Zombie Company With Lack of Conviction and Ability To Achieve Great Things

I worked at Linden Lab

Pros

This is a place to relax and coast if you are in that place in your life or if that appeals to you. Some of the older technology is interesting. There are pockets of good people (mainly stuck due to being on a work Visa).

Cons

Huge distributed workforce is very difficult to deal with, often they are entitled and it is unclear the value they bring to the company. Very political environment where real change and innovation is blocked at every turn by empire builders. New Products lacked real leadership and vision capable of keeping high calibre talent. "This is a game studio", was often a feeble and misguided attempt at motivating talented software developers, which in turn made all of the good developers leave. Management made "worst of both worlds" decisions in which they ignored making tough decisions about entitled remote workers, and micro-managed and bullied the good workers.

Eliminate all remote offices and remote workers. Fire the politicians, yes men, and poor middle managers and executives. If every middle manager and executive was fired, would anyone notice?

Sometime joyful, sometimes soulless

Current Employee - Team Lead  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Team Lead in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Linden Lab full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked at Linden Lab for over 3 years.

You have the opportunity to work on interesting and novel products, with interesting, fun and engaging people.

Cons

The upper management was in turmoil the entire time I was there. In 3 years there were 3 CEOs, and each came with new upper-management. Each successive management team had less regard for the employees than the last.

Benefits were cut, inter-office travel was significantly reduced, and mechanisms to encourage growth such as mentor systems and "ask me anything" style access to upper management were abolished.

This led to a "robot army" style of leadership, where employees were expected to follow orders but not really ask questions, and a sense that there were always hidden agendas afloat.

Fantastic!

Current Employee - Finance  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Finance in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Linden Lab full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a fun place to work

Cons

Not really room for growth in my field

The current upper management has an open door policy

Well intentioned, smart folks trying to do good work in an unfocused business

I worked at Linden Lab full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart, fun people; creative environment; great flexibility

Cons

Multiple exec management changes without clear focus, tremendous politics, poor communication, low motivation

Worked for Linden Lab? Contribute to the Community!