Lindquist & Vennum

Updated August 4, 2014
3.1

Dennis M. O'Malley

Happy to have spent 4 years here

I worked at Lindquist & Vennum full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Many truly wonderful people, at all levels. I had wonderful, caring co-workers in my administrative department, and several attorneys are now great friends. Admin departments are lean, which I liked - I got to gain a lot of experience in all aspects of my department/profession. I have great respect for the current managing partner (not Daryle, as this site seems to show; it's currently Dennis O'Malley) - he made hard decisions, but a law firm that doesn't trim unnecessary staff (and attorneys - it's just harder to trim their numbers and less obvious that it's happening) won't stay alive in the current market, and for this firm and most other firms, it's usually a portion of the admin assistants who end up not being essential. Those who have up to date skills and a good attitude will be successful here. I think the atmosphere is a little more laid back than at other, larger firms.

Cons

The firm is struggling with the same challenges that all law firms are. The struggle that affected me the most is that they need to keep overhead low but still invest in the firm's future enough to not get left behind. I would have liked to see them take the risk of investing in certain areas of "overhead" more - IT, marketing, library (I worked in this kind of group) - because I think if those areas were less lean, they'd be able to do things that would return the investment, but their hesitancy in this area is certainly not unique to this firm. One's experience here can vary depending on what admin department or practice group one is working in/with, but, again, any law firm is the same.

The best company I have ever worked for!

Former Employee - Reception in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Reception in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Lindquist & Vennum full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everyone at L&V was nice and supportive towards me. My managers always wanted to see me succeed. They were always available to talk to. I could ask them any question without being judged. If I had a concern, I felt I could trust them to share my concerns with them without fear of retaliation or punishment. My co-workers were positive and supportive and I learned so much while I was there. Even though it was only for 1 short year. I left due to moving out of the cities and the HR department told me if I ever needed to come back, to call and let them know. I left on the best terms. I have nothing bad to say about this company. It is by far the best job I have ever had!

Cons

I have read some of the other reviews on here about Lindquist in regards to gossip and not being supported by management. I truly feel it's all in a persons attitude. If you don't like your job or co-workers, for whatever the reason, then you will more than likely have a bad experience and have nothing nice to say after you leave. I am not sure of these other employees experiences, but I got along with everyone and so my experience was awesome. Just like anywhere, there will be gossip. I never let the gossip get to me or feed off of it. I went in, did my job, got along with everyone and had the best experience ever!

Not the Best

I have been working at Lindquist & Vennum full-time

Pros

Average salaries but raises low and do not keep up with the rising cost of benefits and the cost of living.

Cons

Employer is often arbitrary and unfair. A very hierarchal system in which support staff feel disrespected and abused. The management uses an ongoing excuse of "reorganization" to justify layoffs and terminations, but the only effect of the "reorganization" appears to be to line the pockets of the partners. I've heard it used to be a great place to work but the glory is in the past.

Opportunity for those who work hard and play their cards right.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Lindquist & Vennum full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work-life balance and flexibility.
    Barrier-free access to leadership.
    Associates are given opportunities to market and participate in the proposal/pitch process.
    Generally supportive attitude toward practice growth and developing new business.
    As a mid-size firm, Lindquist & Vennum is more nimble than AmLaw 100 firms. Change happens faster and we remain client-centric.

Cons

It's not unique to the firm, but teamwork comes hard for some (including senior partners) who have a eat-what-you-kill mentality.

Generally sub-par, mediocre lawyers

Former Employee - Lawyer in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Lawyer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Lindquist & Vennum full-time

Pros

Easy hours, some genuinely nice people, decent technology in the office

Cons

Lots of gossip, cheap (no relocation expenses paid, takes a long time for reimbursement for meals/etc, pays below market), mediocre leadership, no intellectual drive, no push to be a leader in the legal community

Great until 2009 (after 28 years)

Former Employee - LAA in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - LAA in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Lindquist & Vennum

Pros

great sprit de corps for first 20 years

Cons

gossip allowed; new HR had no legal experience......HR mere pawns of management. No guts. Unwilling or unable to do the right thing, and stand up to unrealistic atty expectations. HR did not support LAA's as they should.

Be fair to LAA's; and listen to their side of issues.