Linear Corporation

Updated Feb 28, 2014

Michael O'Neal

It's getting thereI

Carlsbad, CA

ProsSmall company environment - your contributions are noticed and make an impact! Development teams are small and interaction is informal. Projects are short term in nature leading to more frequent diverse assignments. Company is working at getting modern corporate tools - slowly getting rid of paper "systems".

ConsThere are some long-timers that are struggling with the change driven by bringing in the above mentioned new tools.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe visible; walk around the office! Only once before in my career has the company president been so reachable and approachable. Mike O'Neal is outstanding.

Getting better

ProsImprovements in quality processes are making a better working environment. Recent addition of modern tasking and project tools is a big help. There are many talented and smart people here that I genuinely enjoy working with. It's a great day-to-day working environment.

ConsThere seem to be absolutely no incentives for employees at my level to extend themselves beyond what they are asked to do. The above average annual review increases I've been receiving don't come close to keeping up with inflation.

Advice to Senior ManagementArticulate some sort of clearly defined incentives (stock options, performance bonuses, etc.) for clearly defined goals. Those of us who have more energy and a willingness to work harder have to consider whether taking that extra energy outside will be more profitable than applying it 'in house'.

None

Carlsbad, CA

ProsI have been with the company for many years and have seen all types of changes. Currently the company is working on great changes for both the employee and employer but I think there are too many going on all at once. People stepping on each others toes and running around in circles.

ConsThe same challengers have been with Linear - sales and operations - never having enough inventory. I think Linear should take a closer look at our products. We should focus on a smaller product line. This way less of a issue with quality, inventory and recalls. Too many VP's and upper management not enough Indians to support this growing company. Meeting and meetings - way too many. How can anyone get their work done!!! Trying brining the older employed employees wages up to meet the newer employed ones. Linear is behind the times with this one for sure. The talk around the office is that no one cares on how the older Linear employees are treated. They are being pushed aside. Sad. Company is also very political and no chance for advancement for women. People are in the same positions, some given more work with no advancement or increase in pay. Behind in reviews - some going on over a year.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to understand what your employees are telling you. Look around - Linear is not all sunshine and roses. People are getting fed up - need to take more control on the issues.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Moving forward into the 21st century...

Senior Electrical Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsDecades of success in product conception, design, manufacture and sales. Many talented and dedicated people, with exciting new products in the works. Revitalized management team with modernization goals to keep a competitive edge.

ConsFragmented organization – conflicting direction from upper levels. Seems to be a lack of a pervasive, shared vision for the future. Although many positive changes are in process, at the employee level there seems to be much lacking in terms of coordination and implementation.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to employee feedback – especially the 'not so good'. Take a long, hard look at how the organization operates on a day-to-day basis - identify and remediate the dysfunctional parts. Improve interaction between engineering, technical support and end users.

Not recommended

Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsThe people who have been there awhile are very talented and fun to work with they know their stuff and can teach you a lot

ConsVery political. If you like politics, can play them "well", and are aggressive with your career goals, you will do well, especially if you are good with bs. If you are one of the worker bees and work hard, your success all depends on whether your manager is a politician or really cares about the product and their employees - there's a very successful scapegoat process that bodes well for these politicians but bodes bad for anyone that gets in their way.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart getting involved with and really understanding what is going on below you. Understand the reasons for failure rather than taking the word of your politicians

I Love my Job!

Manager (Current Employee)
    Carlsbad, CA

ProsLinear is growing at an amazing rate! It is both exciting and a little scary. As we transition to a bigger leaner company if is a great feeling to be part of great company.

ConsI can not think of anything negative to say at all regarding work environment or the senior management team.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing a great job. We are all behind you!

The future is looking bright for Linear and proud to be apart of it!!!

Carlsbad, CA

ProsIt's a solid place to work. I have seen a lot of change and for the better. The management is very supportive of new ideas. I like the open door policy with our leadership.

ConsMonetary compensation. A pat on the back is great but with inflation the wages are not being adjusted fairly compared to other companies in the same markets

Advice to Senior ManagementReward the doers of the organization.

Chaotic, frustrating, disorganized, and demanding

Carlsbad, CA

ProsIt's a paycheck. The company has been stable. Tons of changes leading toward a prosperous future, but if not organized and without real quality training, it's just frustrations, don't trip on yourself.

ConsSeverely lacks cohesive management; the "forward" path goes in all directions, no concise instruction. Employee frustrations are rampant, and management is blind to the state of employees. It's a demanding environment, without clarify. Employees have lost confidence in and avoid top management, while they choose to remain blind to that. Accountability is lacking, stress is high. Management needs to care about its human beings, and also set the standards of conduct. It has been a rigid environment, office technology is slow, appearances have mattered more than the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet the priorities, insist on accountability. Give employees the tools, and the environment they need to thrive. Appreciate and reward the people who contribute. Solve ongoing problems that escalate aggravation. People are intimidated by management, so communications are non-existent. Standards need to apply to everyone, stop playing favorites. Organize the rollout of new programs, training, procedures, and clarify expectations. Above all - be and behave as you require your employees to behave, and be accountable yourselves. Management needs to learn to manage, and to be held to their word. Make a course for people to succeed, open doors. Above all - you should listen and heed what employees try to tell you.

Disjointed organization

Technical Support Analyst (Former Employee)
    Walker, MI

ProsThe only reason is a paycheck. Linear does work hard to produce competitive products in their market but communicates exclusively with their dealers not the end customer and purchaser of their products.

ConsTechnical support leadership is absent and unqualified. Mixed messages from the top down do not promote happy work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe in touch with your front-line employees and support them as they support the customers. There is a complete and total disconnect at this level. Morale is low and falling.

A conflicted company with ambitious goals.

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsA wide variety of interesting and challenging projects
    Parent company is driving change and world class improvement

ConsDisconnect between sales and operations leads to poor performance for customers and parent company.
    Difficult to get decisions or clarification when needed- some afraid to make wrong decision or be overruled.
    Weak lower level infrastructure (hardware, customer service and tech support)

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutive team needs to be in alignment, with equal accountability to each other and organizational goals. Fix this and many problems will start to correct themselves. Put some focus into the talents of lower level employees who are often the first contact with customers. Recognize and support the key people who are the glue of the organization. They are under substantial pressure from parent company projects, each of your projects, as well as holding together and supporting day to day business activities.

Worked for Linear Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Linear Corporation Videos

Linear Corporation – Why Work for Us?

ABOUT LINEAR For over 50 years, Linear LLC has been an innovator in the security and access control markets. Linear's legacy includes the early application of passive infrared detection and radio frequency (RF… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Linear Corporation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Linear Corporation CEO Michael O'Neal. All 22 reviews posted anonymously by Linear Corporation employees.