Linear Technology

Lothar Maier

Company review

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Linear Technology

ProsProducts are high performance, robust and reliable. Engineers have the right attitude to make things right at the very first try. LTC has interesting innovation in IC development.

ConsLTC is a conservative company. Upper and senior managements don't usually take risk and implement big changes. If they find a way that works, they stick with that way until something catastrophic happens.

Advice to Senior ManagementI can't think of anything to say now. Consider the current economic condition, the company is in a relatively good position and make good profits when the economy becomes better.

Decent place for engineers however non-engineering position not so

I worked at Linear Technology

ProsDesign is focus on making sure their part is near perfect when release.
Get to work with some of the best designers around.
Able to pick the brains for ideas & help.

ConsNon – engineering personnel is not highly regarded compared to engineers.
Not many people can utilize the tuition reimbursement.
Rapid career advancement is unlikely – hierarchy is flat.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to loosen some of the purse-strings – Linear is not willing spend the money thatcan better the company in R&D and the employees.
Establish a better development program for personnel when becoming managers.

review

I worked at Linear Technology

Proswork with strong design and application teams

Consemployee benefits are omitted always.
stingy enterprise culture.
sacrify employee's benefit or laid off people whenever economic SLIGHTLY affects the company's revenue (before other companies do).

Advice to Senior Managementwake up! lower your profit margin...

If you love analog design and want to work for the best analog design house ....

Applications Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Linear Technology

ProsA chance to work with some of the best analog design engineers in the industry. You will have a chance to learn from the best. Whereas the base salaries may be lower than some to the competing companies, they have some of the most lucrative profit sharing in the industry that more than make up for it.

ConsThe work environment can be quite aggressive and intimidating. Also, if you are not part of the "in-crowd," you may consider yourself a second class citizen.

Advice to Senior ManagementLighten' up a bit, please.

Shut down after shut down

Mixed Signal Test Eng Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Linear Technology full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood technical people
Stock USED to be good - but not anymore.

ConsThe management STILL think they are running a startup and they are doing everyone a favor by letting them work there. The still think everyone there will get rich and work them hard.

Those same technical people are very arrogant. Coupled with a CYA environment it can be very frustrating to learn since they'll jump all over your but if you admit you don't know something.

Profit sharing has been decreasing ALOT. I remember when it went as high as 68% but now it stays in the high 30's. Not good. Especially with the lower salaries.

Old equipment. Mgmt is good at encouraging employees to save money. In the past that effort was rewarded with higher profit sharing. Nowadays, there is no incentive to slog through using old equipment and making my job tougher. Especially since I'll never benefit from my effort to save money.

Very little opportunity for advancement.

Mngment has given up ALOT of business and the company has had slow growth.

Things they say in EVERY quarterly meeting:
1) Keep your nose to the grind stone!!!! -- (so mngmnt can benefit while the workers are stiffed)

2) Wall street doesn't like us but they'll soon see how good we are --- It's been over a decade and wall street hasn't noticed yet. WTF is mgmnt smoking?!?!?!

3) Let's keep costs down --- So mgmnt can benefit while they keep lowering profit sharing?

Don't be misled!

I have been working at Linear Technology full-time

ProsProfit sharing, good people outside most management. If you're a tech, you fare pretty well with the incentives such as floating holiday accrual, attendance bonus and sick time accrual. There is a quarterly ERT bonus paid to ERT members. Sabbatical after 5-yrs.

Cons4 of the last 5-yrs have been with shutdowns. Shutdowns are defined as idling the plant for anywhere from 2-days to 2-weeks. It's been as frequent as 1-week a month (for an entire year) to one week+/qtr (current). You can take it unpaid, file for unemployment or burn your vacation. Many people save their semi-annual profit sharing checks to help float them through the company defined shutdowns because unemployment doesn't cut it for most folks and vacation time goes quicker than you can accrue it with the shutdowns. So, effectively, you get no profit sharing because shutdowns eat it and you can rarely take the vacation time when you want because you use most, if not all of it on the shutdowns. Little to no opportunity for advancement. HR is effectively non-existent so don't expect any support.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's more fat to be trimmed. Consider this before mandating more shutdowns.

Little incentive for growth or advancement

I have been working at Linear Technology full-time for more than 10 years

ProsProfit sharing in the range of 20-30% twice per year. 6-8 week long sabbatical every five years.

ConsNo incentive for growth. There are very few management positions available, especially for women. It's basically a boy's club. The hiring structure is focused on bringing in design engineers (99.9% male). Everyone else is looked upon as catering to the design community, and as such, not valued. The structure of the company is scattered. There is no centralized IT. Each department fends for itself.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company has millions it could invest in its employees, yet it sits on the cash, year after year. When we ask for anything extra, like a gym, basketball courts or even a couch in the women's restroom, the answer is always 'no', in spite of the wealth of cash on hand this company has. This year, in spite of how well we're doing, our annual salary increases were decreased to 4% maximum (down from 5%). Sabbaticals every five years and the 20-30% profit sharing bonuses we receive twice yearly are not enough to address the growing morale problem that exists company wide. Management needs to loosen the purse strings, provide some incentive for advancement (especially for non-design, non-male employees) and realize that the 'supporting' departments are just as vital to the company's well-being as the design department is.

Always tense, numbers and forecast updates regularly requested yet data never used properly.

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at Linear Technology

ProsFull Profit Sharing once you achieve 2 years tenure. Respected product portfolio. Short lead times. Solid stock performance.

ConsArrogance of senior management. Pricing is consistently higher than competitors who are equally good at what they do.

Advice to Senior ManagementUndeniably profitable with no long-term vision on revenue growth. Amortize mature products and take less margin instead of constantly putting yourselves in a confrontational situation with customers who have more choices today than ever.

Think Twice

Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Linear Technology

ProsCompensation is among the highest in the industry. You can become very wealthy working for Linear if you have a hide thick enough to handle the abusive treatment.

ConsConfrontational, threatening atmosphere. Management uses threats to control and "motivate" employees. Rarely any positive feedback. Seniority is sneeringly referred to as "longevity".
If you are a decent Analog Designer then get in, make your money and get out as fast as possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementThese people are so arrogant that no advice given would be heeded under any circumstances. Like the dog who barked each morning at sunrise, they remain convinced the the sun rises because of their barking. After all, the sun is coming up isn't it? You can't argue with their
success.

Stagnant Stock price and people see it for the sweat shop it is.

Test Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Linear Technology

ProsGet to work with some smart people.

ConsAnnual reviews focus more on negatives than positive. Max 5% raises, even during good times. Meager stock awards. A "Cover your ass" mentality. Lots of cussing and unprofessionalism from management. Design is king, all other depts are step children and abused. Some engineers are buddy buddy with their boss and able to slack off, you end up having to pick up the slack. Very little chance for career growth. No training provided. VERY HARD to get needed equipment (it took 2 years to get adequate chairs on test floor, people used to stand at terminals).

Advice to Senior ManagementLighten up and loosen the purse strings. Be more supportive of employees and treat them fairly.

Worked for Linear Technology? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Linear Technology reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Linear Technology CEO Lothar Maier. All 40 reviews posted anonymously by Linear Technology employees.