LinkedIn

LinkedIn Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

LinkedIn CEO Jeff Weiner

Jeff Weiner

Pros
  • flexible work hours / vacation structure is awesome / perfect work-life balance(in 51 reviews)

• Great perks, free food, nice offices, opportunities to travel to different locations(in 100 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is very bad due to daily regressions and frequent Production releases(in 35 reviews)

• Onboarding seems tough since the company is growing; it's easy for new folks to get lost in the mix(in 19 reviews)

Great company, smart employess!

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsLove the collaboration, the can do attitude and great work environment. Tons of talented people working together for a great vision. Great perks, breakfast, lunch and dinner, nice office space, ample parking in Mountain View.

ConsOver communication is an issue, we move pretty slowly as can be expected from a 6000 employees company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Very Sane

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsThis is definitely one of the best companies I've worked for, and I've worked for a lot of companies. People get along and respect and help each other. The compensation is good, the food is good, the culture is good. No complaints!

ConsVery intense, fast-paced and gruelling at times. If you're not a self-started, you will have a hard time surviving here. You have to be willing to do the legwork when there is missing documentation, your tool is broken, or your manager is absent for long stretches.

Best job of my career

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsPros:
    * Good positive culture. There are a good number of bright, passionate, hard working people who want to kick donkey (hey, glassdoor, don't complain about my bad language w/out telling me what words offend your delicate sensibilities) and will work together to do so.
     * This is silicon valley and work life balance is a struggle at any company but, I think LinkedIn offers a good balance. People work hard because they are passionate. Stepping out in the middle of the day to go to an event at your kid's school is totally fine. Yes, many (most?) people check email or work from home in evenings but leaving work at 5 or 5:30 is also pretty normal.
    * Some of the older reviews (which I read when I joined) talk about politics and infighting. I think that may have been somewhat accurate when I joined but now I feel that there is genuine good culture of cross team collaboration. Things aren't perfect but they are good.
    * Professional development. They want their employees to have "transformative experience" in their time at LinkedIn. It's cheesy but that actually has been my experience. I think this is more than lip service. They offer one day courses on things like presentation skills and I recently took a formal (and high quality) 7 day training on a technical topic.
    * Good management. Lots of complaints about managers in the older reviews. The problem was that the company was growing quickly and promoting from within (which is fine) but not giving these first time managers any training or guidance. I'm not a manager but I'm pretty sure they now take this very seriously and mid and lower level managers are given training and guidance. My manager is a vastly better manager than he was a few years ago, I don't believe he accomplished this w/out support from the company.
    * Hiring good people. We have high hiring standards both technical and attitude. Some earlier employees were and still are awesome, some not so much. Hiring was revamped/formalized a few years ago and quality of new hires has gone up and been more uniform.
    * This really is a plus: a couple of people who were awful were discretely let go. This is great for people who aren't awful. I respect and appreciate/management for doing this. No this isn't chilling or scary in any way. It's healthy. Good people attract good people. Bad people repel good people.
    * Perks. I don't care about this type of stuff much but LinkedIn is next door to google and competing for the same employees so there are a lot of free creature comforts. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, snacks, occasional massage, etc.). I'm pretty confident LinkedIn is not as over the top as google, but it is over the top enough (Kombucha on tap).
    * LinkedIn always says "members first" and they mean it. That said, the data they have access to is impressive. They know more about your company than your company does. They know where everyone at your company worked last. They know about their skills. I can't believe that this data is anywhere near being fully exploited.

ConsLinkedin is not perfect but I have a hard time coming up with anything serious, but here goes: Not everyone is great. Some early employees who have done quite well financially are not as good as later employees who contribute more. I admit this is petty and irrational but that irritates me a little.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Recruiting for non tech roles ...stay away

Talent Advisor (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsGreat Coworkers! The people are what brought me back each day

ConsHiring Manager who have minimal experience, they are micro-managing and expect you to work all hours of the night as they do. NO WORK LIFE BALANCE

Advice to Senior Managementhire competent Managers especially in Recruiting

Sr. Management

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsGreat benefits and perks! Awesome co-workers

ConsWith the hyper- growth LinkedIn is losing it's culture and values. It's has become very political and competitive amongst employees. There is no structure and can be very brutal at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the right management team in place. What we have now is bringing down
    LinkedIn's branding on which Jeff worked so hard for....

Amazing Company Spoiled by Inept Management

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsThe usual tech company perks, world class products, no real competition, sharp senior leadership/exec team.

If your dream is to be a big company that is changing the world, this is the place to be. You can have a life outside of LinkedIn, which is great. It's also not as cult-like compared to places like the big G, which is a huge plus if you're a normal person.

LinkedIn changed my life. Depending on where you are in your career and what you want, this may or may not happen to you as well.

ConsOpen, honest and constructive is the LinkedIn way...unless you actually suggest things might not be that great or that there are problems. If you do, you'll find yourself labeled as "negative" and a "complainer." So much for feedback being a gift.

There is very little upward mobility in Talent Solutions these days. Great opportunity for those starting out in sales, but If you're more experienced, you'll run out of options quickly.

Middle management is the weakest link. Another review mentioned "they wouldn't be qualified to run a McDonald's" - while that's pretty harsh, I'm not going to say that isn't far from the truth. Front line managers are great at parroting back the company line on issues, collecting your forecast, and asking "how can I help?" - with a few exceptions, very little value was ever added by a front line manager. Some bizarre people decisions over the past couple years. Tons of "are you serious" moments on the floor with the large number of political promotions. Relationships Matter.

Advice to Senior ManagementLots of talk about maintaining our startup culture, yet instead of promoting from within, many roles are filled by external candidates/friends that come from huge companies that don't align with LinkedIn's culture/values. And then people wonder why morale is so low?

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good but not great

ProsCulture/Leadership team
    Company pursuing untapped opportunity
    Great benefits/free food
    inDays

Cons-Performance review process not ideal (annual basis - feedback given during the year)
    -Starting to see overlap of work within teams/across groups
    -Long hours

Best tech company to work for, particularly on the East Coast

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsObviously LinkedIn is a Silicon Valley big boy, but for folks in other parts of the US (and globally) they offer a unique opportunity to feel what it's like to be a part of that valley culture.

ConsReally no cons to speak of, outside of the typical challenges you'll find at any similar company vis si vis middle management. There are some insecure mid level managers who waver between developing and enabling their reports and selfishly fixating on their own upward mobility, to the detriment of their team.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep a tight leash on mid-level management. Promote rising stars, reward managers that take the time to develop their people, and have low tolerance for B and below players.

Rat race. Dishonesty. Tone of politics. Great perks! Tone of free gadgets ;)

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsGreat perks, free food, nice offices, opportunities to travel to different locations. If you are lucky, you will be working with some of the brightest minds in Silicone Valley.

linkedin looks after the hard to get specialists very well (mostly for web developers and data engineers).

Decent salary.

Frequent cool parties. Prestigious brand to have on your resume.

ConsDisclosure: For obvious reasons my comments don't apply to all departments. In some places of the organization you will find everlasting heaven.

I've experienced very poor retention policy in my department. Focus on hiring people and keeping them stuck in frequently silly and repetitive duties, getting more and more frustrated. While one of the core values is "be open, honest and constructive", i've experimented promotion of dishonesty.

Very competitive work environment.

During interview you may be promised bright career potential, just to convince you to take the offer. Reality may be very different.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of undereducated managers and don't hire overqualified people. Find a better use of the talent you hire, as you promise.

Too big to stand out, very political

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsPerks, perks, perks (meals, snacks, In-day events)
    Great facility
    60% of the company is friendly

Great products, easy to stand behind the products

ConsMy direct manager was horrible!
    Politics, politics, politics!
    There are some terrible managers who play "favorites" and are never accessible.
    40% of the company is not friendly (typically the management level)

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes and give credit to the correct contributors. Many employees receive "kuddos" for ideas and projects that were inspired by OTHER employees.
    Fire the managers who smile to sr. management and frown all day to their reports. It's not encouraging to hard-workers.

Worked for LinkedIn? Contribute to the Community!