LinkedIn Reviews in Mountain View, CA

Updated September 12, 2014
4.6

LinkedIn CEO Jeff Weiner
Jeff Weiner

Pros
  • flexible work hours / vacation structure is awesome / perfect work-life balance (in 51 reviews)

• Great perks, free food, nice offices, opportunities to travel to different locations (in 100 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is very bad due to daily regressions and frequent Production releases (in 35 reviews)

• Onboarding seems tough since the company is growing; it's easy for new folks to get lost in the mix (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

299 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Amazing culture, amazing food, very high pay

Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at LinkedIn as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Everything here was amazing. The food was unbelievable, and so healthy. I am vegetarian, so I can comment on the great restaurant-quality Indian food; additionally, the portions are all small so it's easier to make good choices.
    The culture in general is great. Everyone is super friendly and the CEO is very lively, honest, and everyone loves him. Overall, I worked a regular 40-hour week, and got to work on significant features in a small team.
    I saw no bureaucracy or anything like that.
    Also, the pay was very high for interns and very high for new grads as well.

Cons

The gym is small.
    Everyone in Mountain View is very tech-focused. It'd be nice to have more of the business people to share offices with as well.

Transformative experience

Former Employee - Sales  in  Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Mountain View, CA

I worked at LinkedIn full-time for more than a year

Pros

All of the previous comments about the food and the perks are true; they definitely take care of their people. The HQ is beautiful, and the new offices in Sunnyvale make you feel like you're at a ski resort. I also can't recommend the leadership highly enough; Jeff Weiner is an inspiration, and the other execs are all driving towards a shared vision. The culture and values of the company are held in high esteem and they're felt throughout the organizations.

I had the opportunity to see, meet, and interact with some of the most intelligent and successful people I've ever been around -- both other employees and people from the outside. LinkedIn brings in great guest speakers. The employee experience itself is awesome.

I also am now able to use the LInkedIn name to do pretty much anything.

I was part of the Global Sales Org, and while LinkedIn's not slowing down any time soon, it's not for everyone. It's easier to sell LinkedIn products because of the name recognition, but the sales culture needs work.

Cons

Theres an IV-drip of Kool-Aid in everyone's arm within 2 weeks of joining the company. You will likely be called out for disagreeing or bringing up any major changes. This gets tiring after a while.

The Sales org as a whole has good leadership in Mike Gamson, but the more down the ranks you guy the more egotism and BS you'll run into.

Also, don't expect meeting 100% of expectations to be even remotely close to enough to get you anywhere. Not only are the expectations high, but there will be people who are working twice as many hours as you, getting in way earlier, and achieving the same things, and thus looking better than you. There's a culture of working long hours even after the sting by the department of labor, and there were no managerial efforts to curb this. In fact, during meetings people would be praised as "rockstars" for being the "earliest to arrive" and the "last to leave." little work-life balance. Oh, you'll also be underpaid if you start in Sales Development.

They also have a trend of hiring a ton of really smart, motivated people from "target schools" (read: Ivy League and Stanford) and then not really giving them with anywhere to go after their first year or so. I can see this ultimately leading to frustration and burn-out.

Make sure you're balancing the number and type of young "rockstars" with the number and type of opportunities you have for them down the road. Or better set expectations. Otherwise, keep doing what you're doing with the culture and values.

Exceptional place to work

Former Employee - Product Manager  in  Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at LinkedIn full-time for more than a year

Pros

LinkedIn is a place where you can make a tremendous impact and people are genuinely excited to show up for work.

Cons

It is turning into a larger and larger company. Before, I could easily know everyone's name, but now more people are joining every day than you can comfortably meet.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing way to start a career

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very generous culture with time, compensation, perks and flexibility, occasional off-sites which are always fun, company-funded outtings for specific teams, and many teams are run like mini-startups and have a great deal of autonomy.

Cons

A lot of the worth-while content on the site are diamonds in the rough, you may work on something that for no good reason is buried beneath a ton of initially awful UI. You'll have people complain to you about it, and there's usually nothing you can do about bad UI if it's owned by another team.

There needs to be more horizontal consistency across the company. The inconsistency with what happens in the UI when you "like" something is an excellent example of this; it may or may not change to "unlike", may or may not increment the like count, and may or may not show "you" as a liker, with none of these behaviors implying any of the others.

Amazing place to work

Current Employee - Finance Org  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Finance Org in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time for more than a year

Pros

Inspiring vision - really easy to get excited to go to work every day at a company that aims to "Create economic opportunity for every member of the global workforce"; employees are bought into this vision and generally very passionate about what they do

Executive team is incredible - Jeff and Reid are inspiring leaders who are easy to get behind. Executive team has a truly impressive grasp of both the details of the business, as well as how the broader industry is evolving.

People at every level are super smart, incredibly experienced, and very passionate about their jobs

Cons

Questionable career mobility. Seems like LinkedIn continues to draw a lot of top notch and highly experienced people, which is great, but can limit mobility for current employees (both upward and laterally)

Very resource-constrained when it comes to engineers. The company has endless opportunities to go after, but far too few engineers to pursue all of these opportunities

Culture is so consensus-driven that at times the number of people involved in a decision can seem overly-bureaucratic

Work life can be a bit difficult, but usually that's each employee's choice and people work hard because there are so many exciting opportunities to pursue

Management team seems to have shot the moon in terms of how successful the company has been. The team should make sure that it's continuing to strike the right balance between focusing on existing products vs. investing in new opportunities that will lay the foundation for the future.

Great place to start your career, great learning experience, great people.

Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at LinkedIn as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Very friendly environment, team is very helpful and great to work with. Upbeat and intelligent culture.

Cons

Sometimes can be hard to communicate with management

A good company

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time

Pros

Great engineering team, lots of interesting and tough problems to solve, smart people abound, many perks (free food, gym, etc), good work/life balance, and a great place to learn if you are fresh out of school.

Cons

Lots of politics (and increasingly so), some difficulty managing the super-fast growth, unclear career trajectories, somewhat shortsighted product roadmaps, too much focus on optimizing page views for the short term, compensation all over the place, too many inexperienced product managers in charge of rather important decisions.

Take more intelligent risk.

Genuinely thrilled to work here!

Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time for less than a year

Pros

So, there's the obvious stuff: tons of high-quality free food and beverages, excellent compensation, great benefits, etc. Let's get to the more interesting (and really, more important, stuff)

- Pretty much everyone around is a friendly, down to earth human being. I feel like I can talk to my manager openly and frankly without any BS. That's the biggest perk in the world. VP level and above regularly interact with individual contributors. While there is a hierarchy of authority, I honestly feel like the management above is there to help me when I need it, not to dictate to me and abuse my work ethic.

- Besides the free food, there are lots of nice little company-sponsored events and things that happen. You can get professional development training easily. Your work schedule is generally pretty flexible. There are lots of little things like this that add up to really make you feel like LinkedIn actually gives a **** about its employees and doesn't just few them as automatons to work until they burn out.

- The pinball machines, arcade games and ping pong tables are nice but the real key is that people actually PLAY them. I've worked at startups where they had games like this, but everyone was always too busy working themselves into the ground to every actually use them. If my boss walks past me playing pinball in the middle of the day, neither of us is going to think twice about it.

- Despite the fun atmosphere, we do work hard and in general everyone is passionate about the work they do. This can lead to long hours for some, but in my experience thus far, long hours are something chosen on an individual basis. It isn't expected of you, nor are you looked down upon if you take care of your work and leave the office at 5.

Cons

Despite the great culture, there are still a few individuals who are difficult to work with -- the same you'd find at any company. I'd say percentage-wise, there's far less of them at LinkedIn than I have seen other places, but they're still there, standing in the way of progress or taking shortcuts or any of those things that aren't constructive.

My impression is that work-life balance can vary highly between teams. I've had a good experience, but I think there are others for whom it's a little more of a struggle.

I'd only say to make sure that, as the company continues to grow rapidly, make sure to keep the quality bar for incoming people high.

But really, you've already managed to keep a fun, productive start-up culture past 5,000 employees. I think you know what you're doing.

Best job of my career

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pros:
    * Good positive culture. There are a good number of bright, passionate, hard working people who want to kick donkey (hey, glassdoor, don't complain about my bad language w/out telling me what words offend your delicate sensibilities) and will work together to do so.
     * This is silicon valley and work life balance is a struggle at any company but, I think LinkedIn offers a good balance. People work hard because they are passionate. Stepping out in the middle of the day to go to an event at your kid's school is totally fine. Yes, many (most?) people check email or work from home in evenings but leaving work at 5 or 5:30 is also pretty normal.
    * Some of the older reviews (which I read when I joined) talk about politics and infighting. I think that may have been somewhat accurate when I joined but now I feel that there is genuine good culture of cross team collaboration. Things aren't perfect but they are good.
    * Professional development. They want their employees to have "transformative experience" in their time at LinkedIn. It's cheesy but that actually has been my experience. I think this is more than lip service. They offer one day courses on things like presentation skills and I recently took a formal (and high quality) 7 day training on a technical topic.
    * Good management. Lots of complaints about managers in the older reviews. The problem was that the company was growing quickly and promoting from within (which is fine) but not giving these first time managers any training or guidance. I'm not a manager but I'm pretty sure they now take this very seriously and mid and lower level managers are given training and guidance. My manager is a vastly better manager than he was a few years ago, I don't believe he accomplished this w/out support from the company.
    * Hiring good people. We have high hiring standards both technical and attitude. Some earlier employees were and still are awesome, some not so much. Hiring was revamped/formalized a few years ago and quality of new hires has gone up and been more uniform.
    * This really is a plus: a couple of people who were awful were discretely let go. This is great for people who aren't awful. I respect and appreciate/management for doing this. No this isn't chilling or scary in any way. It's healthy. Good people attract good people. Bad people repel good people.
    * Perks. I don't care about this type of stuff much but LinkedIn is next door to google and competing for the same employees so there are a lot of free creature comforts. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, snacks, occasional massage, etc.). I'm pretty confident LinkedIn is not as over the top as google, but it is over the top enough (Kombucha on tap).
    * LinkedIn always says "members first" and they mean it. That said, the data they have access to is impressive. They know more about your company than your company does. They know where everyone at your company worked last. They know about their skills. I can't believe that this data is anywhere near being fully exploited.

Cons

Linkedin is not perfect but I have a hard time coming up with anything serious, but here goes: Not everyone is great. Some early employees who have done quite well financially are not as good as later employees who contribute more. I admit this is petty and irrational but that irritates me a little.

Keep it up.

LinkedIn is a like a room of mirrors

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at LinkedIn as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

The energy level at LinkedIn is very appealing and people are generally nice, approachable and smart. It seems that once you find your place and have a senior manager looking out for you life will be good. The engineering culture there is quite remarkable.

Cons

Brutal silos outside of Engineering. HR is classic present day Silicon Valley, like the shift to everyone in HR referring to themselves as the Talent Organization or the Employee Experience team they are still HR. Very few have any understanding of the business and the senior leaders are always trying to impress Jeff Weiner.

It has been a number of months but from what I can see from the outside now ... stop taking yourself so seriously. You have a great legacy product but I am seeing a number of options coming up to speed very quickly.

Worked for LinkedIn? Contribute to the Community!