LinkedIn

LinkedIn Reviews in Mountain View, CA

Updated Jul 23, 2014

LinkedIn CEO Jeff Weiner

Jeff Weiner

Pros
  • flexible work hours / vacation structure is awesome / perfect work-life balance(in 51 reviews)

• Great perks, free food, nice offices, opportunities to travel to different locations(in 99 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is very bad due to daily regressions and frequent Production releases(in 34 reviews)

• Onboarding seems tough since the company is growing; it's easy for new folks to get lost in the mix(in 19 reviews)

294 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Genuinely thrilled to work here!

Site Reliability Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsSo, there's the obvious stuff: tons of high-quality free food and beverages, excellent compensation, great benefits, etc. Let's get to the more interesting (and really, more important, stuff)

- Pretty much everyone around is a friendly, down to earth human being. I feel like I can talk to my manager openly and frankly without any BS. That's the biggest perk in the world. VP level and above regularly interact with individual contributors. While there is a hierarchy of authority, I honestly feel like the management above is there to help me when I need it, not to dictate to me and abuse my work ethic.

- Besides the free food, there are lots of nice little company-sponsored events and things that happen. You can get professional development training easily. Your work schedule is generally pretty flexible. There are lots of little things like this that add up to really make you feel like LinkedIn actually gives a **** about its employees and doesn't just few them as automatons to work until they burn out.

- The pinball machines, arcade games and ping pong tables are nice but the real key is that people actually PLAY them. I've worked at startups where they had games like this, but everyone was always too busy working themselves into the ground to every actually use them. If my boss walks past me playing pinball in the middle of the day, neither of us is going to think twice about it.

- Despite the fun atmosphere, we do work hard and in general everyone is passionate about the work they do. This can lead to long hours for some, but in my experience thus far, long hours are something chosen on an individual basis. It isn't expected of you, nor are you looked down upon if you take care of your work and leave the office at 5.

ConsDespite the great culture, there are still a few individuals who are difficult to work with -- the same you'd find at any company. I'd say percentage-wise, there's far less of them at LinkedIn than I have seen other places, but they're still there, standing in the way of progress or taking shortcuts or any of those things that aren't constructive.

My impression is that work-life balance can vary highly between teams. I've had a good experience, but I think there are others for whom it's a little more of a struggle.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'd only say to make sure that, as the company continues to grow rapidly, make sure to keep the quality bar for incoming people high.

But really, you've already managed to keep a fun, productive start-up culture past 5,000 employees. I think you know what you're doing.

Culture is all empty words... Politics, Nepotism rules

Consultant (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsBenefits - food, gym, charity work etc.
    Good brand on one's resume
    Modern offices, good amenities, flexible work hours, can work from home etc.

ConsCulture is the worst I have ever seen. My manager was hired by her friend and promoted not once but twice for no good reason. I saw other such folks also get promoted. I wouldn't have minded if the company and all its execs did not lecture us on the special LinkedIn Culture - integrity, collaoboration, humor, relationships matter etc etc. The execs talk about this to no end but actual promotions/ raises are given for nepotism and nepotism alone. Seen this across sales, consulting, marketing and engg orgs. Terrible work environment,

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your act together if you want to see this company succeed in the next five years. At this rate you are losing good talent very fast. Front line managers are the worst. Fire the ones that are bad. Use pulse surveys the way we hear about them.

LinkedIn is a like a room of mirrors

Program Manager (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsThe energy level at LinkedIn is very appealing and people are generally nice, approachable and smart. It seems that once you find your place and have a senior manager looking out for you life will be good. The engineering culture there is quite remarkable.

ConsBrutal silos outside of Engineering. HR is classic present day Silicon Valley, like the shift to everyone in HR referring to themselves as the Talent Organization or the Employee Experience team they are still HR. Very few have any understanding of the business and the senior leaders are always trying to impress Jeff Weiner.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt has been a number of months but from what I can see from the outside now ... stop taking yourself so seriously. You have a great legacy product but I am seeing a number of options coming up to speed very quickly.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work!

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsReasonable perks. Good work/life balance. Supportive management.

ConsShort ladder. Hard to move up in technical chain. Management chain seems ok.

Amazing place to work with brilliant people

Web Developer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsThe culture is excellent. Everyone is very friendly and easy to talk to. It genuinely feels like the company has your best interests in mind and is very accommodating. The food is top notch (Google stops by a lot because LinkedIn food is better). LinkedIn is an company that has been gaining momentum for the past couple of years now and has now end in site. There is such a need to connect talent with employers and while being at LinkedIn, you really get the feeling that you are helping the world.

ConsThere are no cons that come to mind. But if I had to pick something, I would want to have sushi served at lunch! :P

Great company, smart employess!

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsLove the collaboration, the can do attitude and great work environment. Tons of talented people working together for a great vision. Great perks, breakfast, lunch and dinner, nice office space, ample parking in Mountain View.

ConsOver communication is an issue, we move pretty slowly as can be expected from a 6000 employees company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Very Sane

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsThis is definitely one of the best companies I've worked for, and I've worked for a lot of companies. People get along and respect and help each other. The compensation is good, the food is good, the culture is good. No complaints!

ConsVery intense, fast-paced and gruelling at times. If you're not a self-started, you will have a hard time surviving here. You have to be willing to do the legwork when there is missing documentation, your tool is broken, or your manager is absent for long stretches.

Best job of my career

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsPros:
    * Good positive culture. There are a good number of bright, passionate, hard working people who want to kick donkey (hey, glassdoor, don't complain about my bad language w/out telling me what words offend your delicate sensibilities) and will work together to do so.
     * This is silicon valley and work life balance is a struggle at any company but, I think LinkedIn offers a good balance. People work hard because they are passionate. Stepping out in the middle of the day to go to an event at your kid's school is totally fine. Yes, many (most?) people check email or work from home in evenings but leaving work at 5 or 5:30 is also pretty normal.
    * Some of the older reviews (which I read when I joined) talk about politics and infighting. I think that may have been somewhat accurate when I joined but now I feel that there is genuine good culture of cross team collaboration. Things aren't perfect but they are good.
    * Professional development. They want their employees to have "transformative experience" in their time at LinkedIn. It's cheesy but that actually has been my experience. I think this is more than lip service. They offer one day courses on things like presentation skills and I recently took a formal (and high quality) 7 day training on a technical topic.
    * Good management. Lots of complaints about managers in the older reviews. The problem was that the company was growing quickly and promoting from within (which is fine) but not giving these first time managers any training or guidance. I'm not a manager but I'm pretty sure they now take this very seriously and mid and lower level managers are given training and guidance. My manager is a vastly better manager than he was a few years ago, I don't believe he accomplished this w/out support from the company.
    * Hiring good people. We have high hiring standards both technical and attitude. Some earlier employees were and still are awesome, some not so much. Hiring was revamped/formalized a few years ago and quality of new hires has gone up and been more uniform.
    * This really is a plus: a couple of people who were awful were discretely let go. This is great for people who aren't awful. I respect and appreciate/management for doing this. No this isn't chilling or scary in any way. It's healthy. Good people attract good people. Bad people repel good people.
    * Perks. I don't care about this type of stuff much but LinkedIn is next door to google and competing for the same employees so there are a lot of free creature comforts. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, snacks, occasional massage, etc.). I'm pretty confident LinkedIn is not as over the top as google, but it is over the top enough (Kombucha on tap).
    * LinkedIn always says "members first" and they mean it. That said, the data they have access to is impressive. They know more about your company than your company does. They know where everyone at your company worked last. They know about their skills. I can't believe that this data is anywhere near being fully exploited.

ConsLinkedin is not perfect but I have a hard time coming up with anything serious, but here goes: Not everyone is great. Some early employees who have done quite well financially are not as good as later employees who contribute more. I admit this is petty and irrational but that irritates me a little.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up.

Sr. Management

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsGreat benefits and perks! Awesome co-workers

ConsWith the hyper- growth LinkedIn is losing it's culture and values. It's has become very political and competitive amongst employees. There is no structure and can be very brutal at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the right management team in place. What we have now is bringing down
    LinkedIn's branding on which Jeff worked so hard for....

Rat race. Dishonesty. Tone of politics. Great perks! Tone of free gadgets ;)

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsGreat perks, free food, nice offices, opportunities to travel to different locations. If you are lucky, you will be working with some of the brightest minds in Silicone Valley.

linkedin looks after the hard to get specialists very well (mostly for web developers and data engineers).

Decent salary.

Frequent cool parties. Prestigious brand to have on your resume.

ConsDisclosure: For obvious reasons my comments don't apply to all departments. In some places of the organization you will find everlasting heaven.

I've experienced very poor retention policy in my department. Focus on hiring people and keeping them stuck in frequently silly and repetitive duties, getting more and more frustrated. While one of the core values is "be open, honest and constructive", i've experimented promotion of dishonesty.

Very competitive work environment.

During interview you may be promised bright career potential, just to convince you to take the offer. Reality may be very different.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of undereducated managers and don't hire overqualified people. Find a better use of the talent you hire, as you promise.

Worked for LinkedIn? Contribute to the Community!