LinkedIn

Updated December 12, 2014
4.6

LinkedIn CEO Jeff Weiner
Jeff Weiner

Pros
  • This is a company that preaches and practices good work-life balance (in 64 reviews)

• Great perks, free food, nice offices, opportunities to travel to different locations (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance could be improved Middle management needs more training (in 36 reviews)

• Onboarding seems tough since the company is growing; it's easy for new folks to get lost in the mix (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

310 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Best job of my career

Pros

Pros:
    * Good positive culture. There are a good number of bright, passionate, hard working people who want to kick donkey (hey, glassdoor, don't complain about my bad language w/out telling me what words offend your delicate sensibilities) and will work together to do so.
     * This is silicon valley and work life balance is a struggle at any company but, I think LinkedIn offers a good balance. People work hard because they are passionate. Stepping out in the middle of the day to go to an event at your kid's school is totally fine. Yes, many (most?) people check email or work from home in evenings but leaving work at 5 or 5:30 is also pretty normal.
    * Some of the older reviews (which I read when I joined) talk about politics and infighting. I think that may have been somewhat accurate when I joined but now I feel that there is genuine good culture of cross team collaboration. Things aren't perfect but they are good.
    * Professional development. They want their employees to have "transformative experience" in their time at LinkedIn. It's cheesy but that actually has been my experience. I think this is more than lip service. They offer one day courses on things like presentation skills and I recently took a formal (and high quality) 7 day training on a technical topic.
    * Good management. Lots of complaints about managers in the older reviews. The problem was that the company was growing quickly and promoting from within (which is fine) but not giving these first time managers any training or guidance. I'm not a manager but I'm pretty sure they now take this very seriously and mid and lower level managers are given training and guidance. My manager is a vastly better manager than he was a few years ago, I don't believe he accomplished this w/out support from the company.
    * Hiring good people. We have high hiring standards both technical and attitude. Some earlier employees were and still are awesome, some not so much. Hiring was revamped/formalized a few years ago and quality of new hires has gone up and been more uniform.
    * This really is a plus: a couple of people who were awful were discretely let go. This is great for people who aren't awful. I respect and appreciate/management for doing this. No this isn't chilling or scary in any way. It's healthy. Good people attract good people. Bad people repel good people.
    * Perks. I don't care about this type of stuff much but LinkedIn is next door to google and competing for the same employees so there are a lot of free creature comforts. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, snacks, occasional massage, etc.). I'm pretty confident LinkedIn is not as over the top as google, but it is over the top enough (Kombucha on tap).
    * LinkedIn always says "members first" and they mean it. That said, the data they have access to is impressive. They know more about your company than your company does. They know where everyone at your company worked last. They know about their skills. I can't believe that this data is anywhere near being fully exploited.

Cons

Linkedin is not perfect but I have a hard time coming up with anything serious, but here goes: Not everyone is great. Some early employees who have done quite well financially are not as good as later employees who contribute more. I admit this is petty and irrational but that irritates me a little.

Keep it up.

LinkedIn is a like a room of mirrors

Current Employee - Program Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at LinkedIn as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The energy level at LinkedIn is very appealing and people are generally nice, approachable and smart. It seems that once you find your place and have a senior manager looking out for you life will be good. The engineering culture there is quite remarkable.

Cons

Brutal silos outside of Engineering. HR is classic present day Silicon Valley, like the shift to everyone in HR referring to themselves as the Talent Organization or the Employee Experience team they are still HR. Very few have any understanding of the business and the senior leaders are always trying to impress Jeff Weiner.

It has been a number of months but from what I can see from the outside now ... stop taking yourself so seriously. You have a great legacy product but I am seeing a number of options coming up to speed very quickly.

Good place to work!

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Reasonable perks. Good work/life balance. Supportive management.

Cons

Short ladder. Hard to move up in technical chain. Management chain seems ok.

Amazing place to work with brilliant people

Current Employee - Web Developer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The culture is excellent. Everyone is very friendly and easy to talk to. It genuinely feels like the company has your best interests in mind and is very accommodating. The food is top notch (Google stops by a lot because LinkedIn food is better). LinkedIn is an company that has been gaining momentum for the past couple of years now and has now end in site. There is such a need to connect talent with employers and while being at LinkedIn, you really get the feeling that you are helping the world.

Cons

There are no cons that come to mind. But if I had to pick something, I would want to have sushi served at lunch! :P

Very Sane

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is definitely one of the best companies I've worked for, and I've worked for a lot of companies. People get along and respect and help each other. The compensation is good, the food is good, the culture is good. No complaints!

Cons

Very intense, fast-paced and gruelling at times. If you're not a self-started, you will have a hard time surviving here. You have to be willing to do the legwork when there is missing documentation, your tool is broken, or your manager is absent for long stretches.

Great company, smart employess!

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Love the collaboration, the can do attitude and great work environment. Tons of talented people working together for a great vision. Great perks, breakfast, lunch and dinner, nice office space, ample parking in Mountain View.

Cons

Over communication is an issue, we move pretty slowly as can be expected from a 6000 employees company.

Keep up the good work.

Sr. Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and perks! Awesome co-workers

Cons

With the hyper- growth LinkedIn is losing it's culture and values. It's has become very political and competitive amongst employees. There is no structure and can be very brutal at times.

Get the right management team in place. What we have now is bringing down
    LinkedIn's branding on which Jeff worked so hard for....

Rat race. Dishonesty. Tone of politics. Great perks! Tone of free gadgets ;)

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at LinkedIn full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great perks, free food, nice offices, opportunities to travel to different locations. If you are lucky, you will be working with some of the brightest minds in Silicone Valley.

linkedin looks after the hard to get specialists very well (mostly for web developers and data engineers).

Decent salary.

Frequent cool parties. Prestigious brand to have on your resume.

Cons

Disclosure: For obvious reasons my comments don't apply to all departments. In some places of the organization you will find everlasting heaven.

I've experienced very poor retention policy in my department. Focus on hiring people and keeping them stuck in frequently silly and repetitive duties, getting more and more frustrated. While one of the core values is "be open, honest and constructive", i've experimented promotion of dishonesty.

Very competitive work environment.

During interview you may be promised bright career potential, just to convince you to take the offer. Reality may be very different.

Get rid of undereducated managers and don't hire overqualified people. Find a better use of the talent you hire, as you promise.

Too big to stand out, very political

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at LinkedIn full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Perks, perks, perks (meals, snacks, In-day events)
    Great facility
    60% of the company is friendly

Great products, easy to stand behind the products

Cons

My direct manager was horrible!
    Politics, politics, politics!
    There are some terrible managers who play "favorites" and are never accessible.
    40% of the company is not friendly (typically the management level)

Open your eyes and give credit to the correct contributors. Many employees receive "kuddos" for ideas and projects that were inspired by OTHER employees.
    Fire the managers who smile to sr. management and frown all day to their reports. It's not encouraging to hard-workers.

Smart people left, are leaving. The worst company for engineers.

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Options which I got before IPO. So people leave after their options are vested for 4 years.

Cons

Garbage projects. Unfair promotions. Can't gain any skill. Irresponsible mangers and co-workers. People who stay in the company like easy jobs, not seeking any challenges. awful place for engineers.