LinkedIn

LinkedIn Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

LinkedIn CEO Jeff Weiner

Jeff Weiner

Pros
  • flexible work hours / vacation structure is awesome / perfect work-life balance(in 51 reviews)

• Great perks, free food, nice offices, opportunities to travel to different locations(in 100 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is very bad due to daily regressions and frequent Production releases(in 35 reviews)

• Onboarding seems tough since the company is growing; it's easy for new folks to get lost in the mix(in 19 reviews)

Genuinely thrilled to work here!

Site Reliability Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsSo, there's the obvious stuff: tons of high-quality free food and beverages, excellent compensation, great benefits, etc. Let's get to the more interesting (and really, more important, stuff)

- Pretty much everyone around is a friendly, down to earth human being. I feel like I can talk to my manager openly and frankly without any BS. That's the biggest perk in the world. VP level and above regularly interact with individual contributors. While there is a hierarchy of authority, I honestly feel like the management above is there to help me when I need it, not to dictate to me and abuse my work ethic.

- Besides the free food, there are lots of nice little company-sponsored events and things that happen. You can get professional development training easily. Your work schedule is generally pretty flexible. There are lots of little things like this that add up to really make you feel like LinkedIn actually gives a **** about its employees and doesn't just few them as automatons to work until they burn out.

- The pinball machines, arcade games and ping pong tables are nice but the real key is that people actually PLAY them. I've worked at startups where they had games like this, but everyone was always too busy working themselves into the ground to every actually use them. If my boss walks past me playing pinball in the middle of the day, neither of us is going to think twice about it.

- Despite the fun atmosphere, we do work hard and in general everyone is passionate about the work they do. This can lead to long hours for some, but in my experience thus far, long hours are something chosen on an individual basis. It isn't expected of you, nor are you looked down upon if you take care of your work and leave the office at 5.

ConsDespite the great culture, there are still a few individuals who are difficult to work with -- the same you'd find at any company. I'd say percentage-wise, there's far less of them at LinkedIn than I have seen other places, but they're still there, standing in the way of progress or taking shortcuts or any of those things that aren't constructive.

My impression is that work-life balance can vary highly between teams. I've had a good experience, but I think there are others for whom it's a little more of a struggle.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'd only say to make sure that, as the company continues to grow rapidly, make sure to keep the quality bar for incoming people high.

But really, you've already managed to keep a fun, productive start-up culture past 5,000 employees. I think you know what you're doing.

Good company

ProsGood culture. New tech. Good food.

ConsCompany becomes large. Too many processes.

Transformative experience!

ProsI work with the brightest minds in the industry who inspire me to think like an owner. There is a healthy competition that allows more room for improvement - and an opportunity to shine. Leadership is transparent. Free gourmet lunch 7 days a week, snacks and drinks (beware of gaining some pounds), massages, yoga, training sessions, etc. - the perks are pretty awesome.

ConsWorkload is heavy, but manageable. Lots of traveling involved at times - but that is really not an issue unless you have family commitments.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be transparent - you are doing a great job!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Prospeople, facilities, pay, perks, benefits

Consnone none none none none

Disappointing

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsLI brand is strong within the industry (amazing PR team and employees are asked to post positive reviews before rankings come out) so you should be heavily recruited after some time here.
    Work life balance = good.
    Each business @LI has a different culture. Depends on who the leader of the business is and the leaders they have hired. Also think HQ has a more positive culture than the sales offices.
    Interviews are dead easy. One reason there have been alot of bad hires.

ConsCulture and values are for chumps...at least in sales. They're a way to keep individual contributors in line. Leadership defied values regularly in my business. It's well-known that integrity is not something this leader cares for. Team leads contacted HR, but HR blew them off. Don't think this is an issue across the company, but it's a major issue in my team.

Not the best and the brightest here. Compared to the other major tech companies...LI people are just not that smart. Take a look on LI at profiles of the sales people who work here and you'll see. The comp is also average because they can't afford to hire the best. It's also one reason for the amazing reviews. It's a great job for people who don't have a shot at working with and for the best so they're thrilled with what they get at LI.

LI is behind on product innovation. The product is usually a copy of whatever FB launched a year ago.

Get as many RSUs and the highest comp you can when you join because once you're in they are stingy.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsidering the stock performance lately, might want to take a long hard look at those below VP level and see what's really going on.

HR needs to be cleaned up in a serious way.

LinkedIn is a like a room of mirrors

Program Manager (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsThe energy level at LinkedIn is very appealing and people are generally nice, approachable and smart. It seems that once you find your place and have a senior manager looking out for you life will be good. The engineering culture there is quite remarkable.

ConsBrutal silos outside of Engineering. HR is classic present day Silicon Valley, like the shift to everyone in HR referring to themselves as the Talent Organization or the Employee Experience team they are still HR. Very few have any understanding of the business and the senior leaders are always trying to impress Jeff Weiner.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt has been a number of months but from what I can see from the outside now ... stop taking yourself so seriously. You have a great legacy product but I am seeing a number of options coming up to speed very quickly.

Good place to work!

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsReasonable perks. Good work/life balance. Supportive management.

ConsShort ladder. Hard to move up in technical chain. Management chain seems ok.

Best job of my career

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsPros:
    * Good positive culture. There are a good number of bright, passionate, hard working people who want to kick donkey (hey, glassdoor, don't complain about my bad language w/out telling me what words offend your delicate sensibilities) and will work together to do so.
     * This is silicon valley and work life balance is a struggle at any company but, I think LinkedIn offers a good balance. People work hard because they are passionate. Stepping out in the middle of the day to go to an event at your kid's school is totally fine. Yes, many (most?) people check email or work from home in evenings but leaving work at 5 or 5:30 is also pretty normal.
    * Some of the older reviews (which I read when I joined) talk about politics and infighting. I think that may have been somewhat accurate when I joined but now I feel that there is genuine good culture of cross team collaboration. Things aren't perfect but they are good.
    * Professional development. They want their employees to have "transformative experience" in their time at LinkedIn. It's cheesy but that actually has been my experience. I think this is more than lip service. They offer one day courses on things like presentation skills and I recently took a formal (and high quality) 7 day training on a technical topic.
    * Good management. Lots of complaints about managers in the older reviews. The problem was that the company was growing quickly and promoting from within (which is fine) but not giving these first time managers any training or guidance. I'm not a manager but I'm pretty sure they now take this very seriously and mid and lower level managers are given training and guidance. My manager is a vastly better manager than he was a few years ago, I don't believe he accomplished this w/out support from the company.
    * Hiring good people. We have high hiring standards both technical and attitude. Some earlier employees were and still are awesome, some not so much. Hiring was revamped/formalized a few years ago and quality of new hires has gone up and been more uniform.
    * This really is a plus: a couple of people who were awful were discretely let go. This is great for people who aren't awful. I respect and appreciate/management for doing this. No this isn't chilling or scary in any way. It's healthy. Good people attract good people. Bad people repel good people.
    * Perks. I don't care about this type of stuff much but LinkedIn is next door to google and competing for the same employees so there are a lot of free creature comforts. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, snacks, occasional massage, etc.). I'm pretty confident LinkedIn is not as over the top as google, but it is over the top enough (Kombucha on tap).
    * LinkedIn always says "members first" and they mean it. That said, the data they have access to is impressive. They know more about your company than your company does. They know where everyone at your company worked last. They know about their skills. I can't believe that this data is anywhere near being fully exploited.

ConsLinkedin is not perfect but I have a hard time coming up with anything serious, but here goes: Not everyone is great. Some early employees who have done quite well financially are not as good as later employees who contribute more. I admit this is petty and irrational but that irritates me a little.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up.

Amazing place to work with brilliant people

Web Developer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsThe culture is excellent. Everyone is very friendly and easy to talk to. It genuinely feels like the company has your best interests in mind and is very accommodating. The food is top notch (Google stops by a lot because LinkedIn food is better). LinkedIn is an company that has been gaining momentum for the past couple of years now and has now end in site. There is such a need to connect talent with employers and while being at LinkedIn, you really get the feeling that you are helping the world.

ConsThere are no cons that come to mind. But if I had to pick something, I would want to have sushi served at lunch! :P

Great company

Project Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosgreat people, great environment, great perks

Conshelp from management, room for growth

Advice to Senior Managementbe more supportive to your teams

Worked for LinkedIn? Contribute to the Community!