LinkedIn

www.linkedin.com

LinkedIn Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
1,000 Reviews
4.6
1,000 Reviews

LinkedIn CEO Jeff Weiner
Jeff Weiner

Pros
  • This is a company that preaches and practices good work-life balance (in 64 reviews)

• Great perks, free food, nice offices, opportunities to travel to different locations (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance could be improved Middle management needs more training (in 36 reviews)

• Onboarding seems tough since the company is growing; it's easy for new folks to get lost in the mix (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to transform career

Current Employee - Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Excellent Senior leadership. Jeff and Mike do a great job of communicating where the company is and where its going.
    - The vision is inspiring. Creating economic opportunity for the world's 3 billion workers.
    - Really nice peer-to-peer skill building opportunities.
    - Monthly hackdays keep the start-up spirit alive even as we grow to 4k+ employees

Cons

- This is a title poor company. Most of my MBA cohort outside LinkedIn are at the Director/VP level. I'm in a comparable job here and am a Manager. Titles aren't a big deal to me, but I have heard that the lower perception hurts employees when they leave the company.

- Fight bureaucracy wherever you can. Limit meetings and time spent working on internal processes. Free us up to go build cool stuff that will change the world.
    - Encourage more internal mobility. It happens today within Sales, Product and Engineering. Could it happen across those groups?
    -Open up offices in lower cost cities. Denver, Salt Lake City, Austin, Atlanta etc.. It is impossible to buy a home in Mountain View/Palo Alto and standard of living would be higher outside Silicon Valley.

Transformational company, staff, and experience. Top 3 Globally for employees!

Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Culture, Food, People, Ping Pong, Amazing Products, Amazing leadership, bright future, Love working in the Empire State Building.

Cons

Getting a bit larger - 900 employees to 5,000 in 3 years. Wowzers. Still, they want us to be a "billion dollar startup", so are trying to remove big company barriers.

Preserve that startup culture!

Yes, this is a genuine review.

Current Employee - Order Management in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Order Management in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time (less than a year)

Pros

1.) Smart, driven, and FUN coworkers
    2.) I'm learning every day
    3.) I feel appreciated
    4.) Management encourages me to pursue new projects and ideas
    5.) No "set" schedule (but we work HARD)
    6.) Free food
    7.) Free Gym
    8.) Free Classes (e.g. Yoga, financial planning)
    9.) Team-bonding events (e.g. ziplining, dinner in SF)
    10.) Opportunities to grow

I've worked at a company in which management never learned my name. (I was there for a year.)

I've worked at a failing startup. (That was tough.)

I've worked at a lumbering, giant corporation. (Ideas? Forget it. There's other work to do.)

After these experiences, I can honestly say I'm very happy at LinkedIn.

Cons

People here work hard. Sometimes it's easy to forget about that whole "work-life balance" thing. This can get stressful!

Help to foster a work-life balance.

My Dream Job

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Surrounded by smart, hard-working people who all share a passion for the business
    - Fabulous benefits and perks
    - Multiple avenues within the business to pursue career goals (several business lines, international growth, etc)
    - Flexibility, autonomy, and great earning potential
    - Customer excitement around our products and services

Cons

- Most US-based employees are based in San Francisco, New York City, Chicago, or Omaha...which results in limited US mobility

Wonderful if you're on the right team

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Perks similar to what you would find at a company like Google: Free food with an on-site cafe, gym, dry cleaning pick-up, snack rooms, game rooms... etc. Very flexible hours and less silos than a lot of places I've worked in the past. A lot of good people willing to work with you rather than against you. Some fun challenges and great amount of mobility.

Cons

I've been on some teams that were hyper overachievers with messed-up work/life balances. They ended up working 13 hour days and achieving less than than other teams that were more reasonable. Some of middle management just creates more work rather than facilitating.

If you want engineers to feel ownership, let them own. Include them more in yearly planning and have more say over timelines. Let engineers know it's ok to push back due to technical reasons.

A company that leads with values.

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time

Pros

The senior leadership team genuinely work according to the company values, creating a culture which all staff believe in, making it a more productive and happy place to work. That ultimately affects the way we look after our members and customers, and how we achieve the company's mission. Talent is the company's number one priority and it feels like that as an employee.

Cons

Agressive sales quotas can make the sales representatives seem too overtly sales focussed sometimes

Preserve the company values and culture at all costs, then everyone will win - members, customers, employees, shareholders and leadership

Absolute best company I have ever worked for bringing great value to members and employees passionate to create value.

Current Employee - Finance Sourcing Manager, Travel in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Finance Sourcing Manager, Travel in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Top management is sincere and lives the values. You are empowered to transform the industry with many extremely brilliant people all around you.

Cons

There is much to do and choosing priorities is difficult sometime.

Next Play forever!

Transformation of yourself is an integral cultural value here - wonderful place to work

Current Employee - Senior Site Reliability Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Site Reliability Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I've found the few months here at LinkedIn a great experience, the culture is very positive, open and collaborative, they value your own ability to succeed and be productive in your career and the perks are great. I find the transparency to be a big plus, coming from my experience in the industry it's not the easiest to find. The people here are generally very smart and great at what they do so it's usually very easy to find someone to help if you have a question.

Cons

I would say the biggest downsides are typically associated with any large internet company going through rapid growth - new products and versions are constantly being iterated through so things are in a state of flux. Work/life balance can be difficult depending upon how well you manage things.

Generally very good - keep it up!

Transparent Culture and Emphasis on Internal Growth

Current Employee - Associate Campaign Manager
    Current Employee - Associate Campaign Manager

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time

Pros

The work culture and people at LinkedIn are definitely solid. There is high-energy here as the company continues to do well overall. It a great place to start and grow your career.

Cons

Compensation is a little on the lower side if you are not an engineer but there are many other perks that the company provide. Also the company is getting larger so things can move slowly at times.

Provide challenging and engaging projects for your teams.

Amazing open culture

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Open culture, engineers help each other across teams. All code is in SVN for everyone to see, or modify and submit a review request. Awesome cafeteria.

Cons

Free food makes you fat. Open seating area can make it hard to work sometimes due to all the distractions, but its the same problem in all bay area companies, so you have to find your ways of dealing with them.