LinkedIn Reviews

Updated September 14, 2014
4.6

LinkedIn CEO Jeff Weiner
Jeff Weiner

Pros
  • flexible work hours / vacation structure is awesome / perfect work-life balance (in 51 reviews)

• Great perks, free food, nice offices, opportunities to travel to different locations (in 100 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is very bad due to daily regressions and frequent Production releases (in 35 reviews)

• Onboarding seems tough since the company is growing; it's easy for new folks to get lost in the mix (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company & culture - just not in Ops

Current Employee - Sales Operations Analyst  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Operations Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great C-level executives and their directs. Have great visions & values and they actually practice them.
    - Free lunch, snacks, drinks, etc in the California office locations - regular company activities to promote team building.
    - Very open to making opportunities for yourself - your manager won't help you, but if you can make the connections yourself, do it!

Cons

- Poor management and director level leadership
    - Mismatch between compensation and work expectations between groups
    - Regularly hires managers externally than promoting ready and eager analysts from within due to over-valuation of an MBA and management consulting experience from the big three (Bain, BCG, McKinsey) despite them NOT being that bright or having people management experience

Identify analyst talent from within and double down on them. Learn to actually manage & develop analysts instead of managing projects. Turnover & satisfaction of your analysts is astoundingly bad.

Good benefits, but they don't invest much in GCO

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at LinkedIn full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits, overall relaxed culture (maybe too much) and decent salary for the position

Cons

- There is little to no opportunities for lateral movement if you're in GCO.
    - The company is now too big to care about their individual development plans for employees.
    - Middle management doesn't do a good job. They tell you you're "doing a good job" but then you find you're drowning and they won't help you.
    - This is not a merit-based promotion position. You could do all kinds of hard work but no one cares.
    - Unless you're a programmer, don't plan on being treated with much honor. You have to kiss up to people to get anywhere on any other track.

Watch your middle management in GCO. They are giving poor feedback which leads to poor performance. Look at your senior employees who left and ask yourself why they lost the ability to care about the company. Don't just assume it's all their fault.

Amazing way to start a career

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very generous culture with time, compensation, perks and flexibility, occasional off-sites which are always fun, company-funded outtings for specific teams, and many teams are run like mini-startups and have a great deal of autonomy.

Cons

A lot of the worth-while content on the site are diamonds in the rough, you may work on something that for no good reason is buried beneath a ton of initially awful UI. You'll have people complain to you about it, and there's usually nothing you can do about bad UI if it's owned by another team.

There needs to be more horizontal consistency across the company. The inconsistency with what happens in the UI when you "like" something is an excellent example of this; it may or may not change to "unlike", may or may not increment the like count, and may or may not show "you" as a liker, with none of these behaviors implying any of the others.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to start your career, great learning experience, great people.

Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at LinkedIn as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Very friendly environment, team is very helpful and great to work with. Upbeat and intelligent culture.

Cons

Sometimes can be hard to communicate with management

Amazing culture

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time

Pros

Culture, people, free lunch and competitive salary

Cons

Should offer more options to work remotely.

Keep being awesome.

Not bad for a big company

I worked at LinkedIn

Pros

The workplace quality and perks are excellent. The hours are pretty sane. The food is great. The company has solid values, and it's a great place for professional growth. If you're an engineer, the quality of the code is better than average and the process is not too cumbersome for a company of this size.

Cons

Too many meetings, some groups work as silos, if you're unlucky you can end up working in a "venture" project that never sees the light of day.

Current employee

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time

Pros

I work with some of the smartest, most collaborative, and humble people in the world. I relish every day I get to enjoy coming to work at LinkedIn. Great perks, but more importantly great people!

Cons

The cons of the job are that you work late hours not because you have to, but because you want to.

Keep up the good work!

Good

I have been working at LinkedIn

Pros

Great and incredible experience. Recommended to all

Cons

All good. Nothing was bad. Good food

Genuinely thrilled to work here!

Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time for less than a year

Pros

So, there's the obvious stuff: tons of high-quality free food and beverages, excellent compensation, great benefits, etc. Let's get to the more interesting (and really, more important, stuff)

- Pretty much everyone around is a friendly, down to earth human being. I feel like I can talk to my manager openly and frankly without any BS. That's the biggest perk in the world. VP level and above regularly interact with individual contributors. While there is a hierarchy of authority, I honestly feel like the management above is there to help me when I need it, not to dictate to me and abuse my work ethic.

- Besides the free food, there are lots of nice little company-sponsored events and things that happen. You can get professional development training easily. Your work schedule is generally pretty flexible. There are lots of little things like this that add up to really make you feel like LinkedIn actually gives a **** about its employees and doesn't just few them as automatons to work until they burn out.

- The pinball machines, arcade games and ping pong tables are nice but the real key is that people actually PLAY them. I've worked at startups where they had games like this, but everyone was always too busy working themselves into the ground to every actually use them. If my boss walks past me playing pinball in the middle of the day, neither of us is going to think twice about it.

- Despite the fun atmosphere, we do work hard and in general everyone is passionate about the work they do. This can lead to long hours for some, but in my experience thus far, long hours are something chosen on an individual basis. It isn't expected of you, nor are you looked down upon if you take care of your work and leave the office at 5.

Cons

Despite the great culture, there are still a few individuals who are difficult to work with -- the same you'd find at any company. I'd say percentage-wise, there's far less of them at LinkedIn than I have seen other places, but they're still there, standing in the way of progress or taking shortcuts or any of those things that aren't constructive.

My impression is that work-life balance can vary highly between teams. I've had a good experience, but I think there are others for whom it's a little more of a struggle.

I'd only say to make sure that, as the company continues to grow rapidly, make sure to keep the quality bar for incoming people high.

But really, you've already managed to keep a fun, productive start-up culture past 5,000 employees. I think you know what you're doing.

Good company

I have been working at LinkedIn

Pros

Good culture. New tech. Good food.

Cons

Company becomes large. Too many processes.

Worked for LinkedIn? Contribute to the Community!